PDA

View Full Version : Instancing and Bullet soft bodies

mike_stening
02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Playing about with the instancing and thought i may be able to get the effect i am after by utilising soft bodies as well.
Basically i am doing a bottle with water drops (spritz) on the outside and figured i'd model a couple of drops, use instances of them with random sizing and placement based on surface normal.
in general it looks very pleasing but there are a couple of things.
The bottle has some ridges on it and the drops stick out from it due to their position and the angle of the normals. I want to get the drops to conform to the bottle shape but the bullet seems to make them start to 'peel' away from the bottle at the top of the drops rather than fall onto the shape of the bottle.
The bottle has been set as a static object and the drops as deforming objects. oh and subdivision order is set to last for the drops.

any help would be appreciated.

ta muchly

oh, also is it possible to manually delete certain instances much like you can do with particles, i only ask as there are some instances inside instances which looks a little odd.
i could always do separate renders for each size of drop but that seems a bit counter productive.

mike_stening
02-18-2013, 02:02 AM
hmm interesting, surely thought someone would have an idea type bump

lwanmtr
02-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Did you try to increase the Dynamics Framerate to say 500 or 1000?

dee
02-22-2013, 04:04 AM
Bullet doesn't work with instances. But you could try freezing the instances into real objects, search for Python Bake Instance in Additional for this.

lwanmtr
02-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Well, actually, Bullet does work with instances. The instances will still show only the base object(s) and wont react on their own. However, you can still do all the randomy stuff inside the instance generator. It can make some pretty neat effects, specially now that we can randomize surface settings.

mike_stening
02-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Have to say after changing some of the bullet settings (reducing friction etc) and got a very convincing result
Once I have it signed off ill post it.
Thought I must say the combination of the 2 is very slow.