PDA

View Full Version : Adobe slashes prices...

erikals
02-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Adobe slashes prices next day after pressure from Australian government

read on >
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=1093551

raymondtrace
02-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Somewhat good news, I suppose.

I've always imagined that other countries are not being charged more. It is just that these big technology companies are offering a discount to the country that provided them the resources for development (roads, education system, legal system to defend patents, etc.). But that insane (and entirely sarcastic view) is refuted by the fact that Adobe over charges Indian buyers too (http://www.labnol.org/india/adobe-software-online-store/867/), even though Adobe relies on their offices in India for product development and end user support.

XswampyX
02-15-2013, 04:49 PM
What's insane is that governments tout the global economy as a good thing, global labour force, lowest price for a product/service and free movement for all, but baulk at the idea of someone paying a global price for a product. If I, in my role as a global citizen I want to support the USA with my TAX contribution and not my home country and also get a cheaper product, should I not be able to? That's the essence of capitalism.

If say in the UK they want to take more (for less) then as a citizen in this global economy I should be able to choose, just like the businesses in the UK choose where to base their factories/slave work houses/offices?

The 'powers that be', beat the average working man to death with their global arbitrage. It's about time we had some of the same....

rwhunt99
02-16-2013, 02:46 PM
I think part of the situation is due to software rights, which makes it much more difficult for competitors to compete. This in turn allows these companies to charge a premium price with out fear of someone coming in and charging much less for a similar application. Patents involving algorithms and such are critical to these high prices. I cannot see any sense for a company to charge so much more for the same software in one Country as another. The software has been paid for, they are merely copies. As far as I am concerned, any time a company switches to a subscription format, it is because the software is mature and they see no other way to continue to sell their software. In other words, there is no way to add value left in it. There is no justification for the high cost of software that only adds bug fixes and a few small improvements. This same scenario will be played out in the Windows platform pretty soon.

Megalodon2.0
02-16-2013, 03:29 PM
What's insane is that governments tout the global economy as a good thing, global labour force, lowest price for a product/service and free movement for all, but baulk at the idea of someone paying a global price for a product. If I, in my role as a global citizen I want to support the USA with my TAX contribution and not my home country and also get a cheaper product, should I not be able to? That's the essence of capitalism.

If say in the UK they want to take more (for less) then as a citizen in this global economy I should be able to choose, just like the businesses in the UK choose where to base their factories/slave work houses/offices?

The 'powers that be', beat the average working man to death with their global arbitrage. It's about time we had some of the same....
I may be wrong, but AFAIK it's not the governments that are preventing you from buying the software in another country, but the software manufacturers. Adobe won't ALLOW you to buy from another country except from the country you're purchasing from. Governments ARE in favor of a "global price" - Adobe is the one that isn't in this case.

Again, I may be wrong, but that's my perception at the moment.

XswampyX
02-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I don't think you are wrong.

More like they are in collusion together. I can't tell adobe to drop their prices. All I can do is not buy their product (I don't own any adobe stuff). It's the governments that have to sort this out, and they won't while they get 20% of the sale price (VAT in the UK). I mean, 20% of 1,000 is a lot more then 20% of 500.

When software came in boxes, bought at stores you could forgive the different price, but how can you justify this now when the product is downloaded?

cresshead
02-16-2013, 04:43 PM
that adobe guy did well to fend off that question...not that i applaude him at all but he wasn't phased at all.... as S Jobs would say...he's a suit...

- - - Updated - - -

that adobe guy did well to fend off that question...not that i applaude him at all but he wasn't phased at all.... as S Jobs would say...he's a suit...

Rayek
02-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Hey, seen this? http://www.adobe.com/products/director.html

A new version of Director (after five years) - I wasn't even aware this was still alive. And again Adobe knows how to drive away loyal users: only iOs support for mobile, AND they want an additional 10% on any published iOs app that generates revenue over $20.000. As a publisher you are required to send in your sales paperwork for their 'consideration'. Now, really... Adobe, what's become of you?

http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/story/adobe-grabs-10-cut-ios-games-published-using-director-12/2013-02-14

I don't know, but I am glad I jumped ship and switched to other alternatives for my workflow.

raymondtrace
02-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Taking a cut from mobile app sales is not extraordinary. Other companies that provide development tools or storefronts take a cut as well. But yeah... Adobe... meh.

Rayek
02-20-2013, 04:12 PM
-30% Apple
-10% Adobe

60% left for the developer. 8/

- whatever revenue taxes

Are they actively trying to prevent indy devs from earning an honest income? Win/win situation large corps.

Marcia
02-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Are they actively trying to prevent indy devs from earning an honest income? Win/win situation large corps.

They are actively trying to maximize their own profits without concern for the effects on whatever or whoever is downstream. Contrary to popular belief, capitalism is no longer driven by supply and demand -- if it ever was -- but by the expectations of greedy investors and the desire to acquire power (e.g., monopolies). This not only kills competition, which is one of the things necessary for capitalism to work (relatively) equitably, but destroys just about everything else in its path. Globalization has magnified this effect: witness the current state of the VFX industry.

Have you ever noticed that economic theories only work on paper? They all fail to take human nature into account.

[/rant]

Sorry, big hot button.

Rayek
02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
They are actively trying to maximize their own profits without concern for the effects on whatever or whoever is downstream. Contrary to popular belief, capitalism is no longer driven by supply and demand -- if it ever was -- but by the expectations of greedy investors and the desire to acquire power (e.g., monopolies). This not only kills competition, which is one of the things necessary for capitalism to work (relatively) equitably, but destroys just about everything else in its path. Globalization has magnified this effect: witness the current state of the VFX industry.

Have you ever noticed that economic theories only work on paper? They all fail to take human nature into account.

[/rant]

Sorry, big hot button.

+1
All started to go down in flames when some money lender thought up fractional banking and asking interest when no money exists to actually cover that interest. Debit growth economy, inflation, and elitist money families (Rothschilds, Morgans, Rockefellers, etc), here we come.

No worries, I never believed anything they told me in my economy classes either.

Cryonic
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM

[/rant]

Sorry, big hot button.

That is Capitalism. Everyone is trying to make the most for the least. Supply/Demand works just fine for things that have limitations. Photoshop/Illustrator essentially has infinite supply (everyone can download a copy with no one losing access to it). The problem is Adobe has become a monopoly in operation (if not in name). People would rather pirate copies of Photoshop than learn to live with other apps, like GIMP or Inkscape. And so, that is the app they get used to so that is the app that businesses buy and share files in. Which causes other businesses to invest in that same software.
Same thing with Microsoft and their Office line. They got government to use it, so their suppliers use it to make sure that documents they share work together, so the suppliers of the suppliers use it and so on down the chain... Cheaper to buy into the program than to pay people to reverse engineer the formats (and keep doing so with each patch that is put out). The funny thing here is that even Microsoft can't keep their Office suites compatible (PC vs Mac). Amazing the number of issues I've had to deal with supporting heterogenous systems where it came down to Office on Mac vs Office on PC.
I hate to say it, but the only real way to break these kinds of monopolies is to use something else. If it has limitations, then find a way to work around them or fix them. In the case of GIMP, it is Open Source. Given the amount of coding that goes on in the various 3D companies (from lscripts to plugins) that same could be done to add to the code base and improve on other apps.