PDA

View Full Version : Maya to Lightwave pipeline

Wayne Heim
02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I have a client who used to use a different illustrator who worked in Maya. They no longer work with him but want to know if I can edit and work with the old files that they have. His files are huge, almost 1 gig. I downloaded a 30 day trial of Maya and tried to export as an FBX with models and animation and after running for over 2 days I gave up. It was still processing it.... I just gave up. Any suggestions?

Is it possible to export out the models and the animation from Maya and bring it into Lightwave 11.5? Or at least can I export the models without it taking 4 days?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

3DGFXStudios
02-14-2013, 03:56 PM
It all depends on what the maya scenes contain. If there are bend deformers in it for example there's no way of getting that over to LW. You can export rigs and models with animation with fbx. Try exporting separate models using export selected in maya. If there's dynamic stuff in the scene or other types of complex animation and deformation you can make geo cache files and import that in LW.

lwanmtr
02-14-2013, 04:07 PM
nodal animation controllers wont transfer, but standard rigging does.

Point Oven is good for getting animation from maya to lw, but its esentially an mdd exporter, so you cant adjust it in lw.

FBX is fairly good on most of the files i transfer... Collada export from Maya seems a little unreliable, from my experience.

Surrealist.
02-15-2013, 01:21 AM
I have a client who used to use a different illustrator who worked in Maya. They no longer work with him but want to know if I can edit and work with the old files that they have. His files are huge, almost 1 gig. I downloaded a 30 day trial of Maya and tried to export as an FBX with models and animation and after running for over 2 days I gave up. It was still processing it.... I just gave up. Any suggestions?

Is it possible to export out the models and the animation from Maya and bring it into Lightwave 11.5? Or at least can I export the models without it taking 4 days?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Why is it such a large file? Are you talking lots of geometry ? And that does seem like a long time to be processing. Are you sure you are using the right settings? You also might try getting some help on a Maya specific site such as cgtalk in the Maya section.

Red_Oddity
02-15-2013, 02:22 AM
Have you tried exporting JUST the mesh and camera data (make sure you disable everything BUT the geometry in the exporter), what does that give as result.
We have transferred enough data between LW and Maya and don't encounter these problems often (seeing Maya is our primary software, but LW just is better at geo clean up)
Mind you, Maya is capable of creating truly frakked up scenes internally.