PDA

View Full Version : Super convincing HV fire!

Hail
02-14-2013, 12:37 PM
This is a rare resource I bumped into, so enjoy! :)
https://vimeo.com/35736996

GregMalick
02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
It would be great to look at that scene file OR a picture of his nodal texturing & HV schematic.

hrgiger
02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah, that's probably the best thing I've seen come out of hypervoxels.

shrox
02-14-2013, 01:29 PM
This is one I did a few years ago, I've been able to reduce the puffball effect since then. The side shot looks the best.

http://vimeo.com/13445180

Kaptive
02-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Direct link shrox? That video doesn't work for me :(

Out of interest, Peter Balazs is on the Newtek forum according to his other video... http://vimeo.com/35523578

Peter, if you are out there, would you care to share a few hints on how you did this? The difference between the one I just linked to and the advances you made with the one in the OP would seem to be massive. Would love to know more!

shrox
02-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Direct link shrox? That video doesn't work for me :(

Out of interest, Peter Balazs is on the Newtek forum according to his other video... http://vimeo.com/35523578

Peter, if you are out there, would you care to share a few hints on how you did this? The difference between the one I just linked to and the advances you made with the one in the OP would seem to be massive. Would love to know more!

Here is a zip with some fire that is a great place to start.

lwanmtr
02-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Cool... Fire and smoke are things I've had a pain doing with HV. There should be some super tutorial on doing that stuff....hehe

Ernest
02-14-2013, 06:41 PM
That looks hot!

prometheus
02-14-2013, 07:41 PM
This is one I did a few years ago, I've been able to reduce the puffball effect since then. The side shot looks the best.

that one is nice, havenīt seen that before, very john carpenterish, from the car, lensflares and the music:) cool.

And yes peter balaz does great fire with hvs as do mr rid, still takes mostly a lot of processing afterwards...
I have left fire work for doing that later on with turbulenceFD...however, some stuff with explosions and rocket trails I think I can push some more..

I was just recently testing the old dynamite plugin for that because of itīs nice fireshader with voxels and its blending mode, but some artifacts and actually slower render times made
me go back to voxels again.
been testing some explosives again..will probably post sample clips of that and a small description.

Michael

geo_n
02-14-2013, 07:51 PM
convincing liquid seems harder with hv. Thanks shrox

shrox
02-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Liquid, other than drops or foam, nice clear water is difficult.

prometheus
02-14-2013, 08:18 PM

not much that needs to be done to fix a much better system for that I think, but that has been ranted about for quite some time, they could start discect blender and rip something from there..and
distance between particles gradients for blendsizes for liquids, for volumetrics in dissolve and thickness channels...I think erikals or mr rid showed a simple gif clip about the difference there in.

Also the squeeze hv deform addin must be moved to hv panel directly acessable and made understandable.
Some additional new forcefields...and perhaps make it physx aware for speed such as liquid pack from dstorm, makin hv surface acess advanced material nodes and we are getting better liquids...
Additional bouyance perhaps.

The new blending modes have not been of use for anything that I can understand or find useful really, neither in surface mode or volume mode.

SO...blender or realflow and export to lightwave unfortunatly.

Michael

Netvudu
02-15-2013, 06:12 AM
This is a nice HV fire indeed...but not super convincing.
It would fit rather well in a full-3D production. A game cinematic or something like that. Blur Studios have plenty of old videos with voxel-based fire that looks similar to this one. So, as far as everything was 3D it would work quite well.
Now, along real footage? no way. That fire would stand out pretty badly along real actors.
I think its the nature of HVs.

You can go much further with turbulence or any other container-based fluids tool, and more importantly, with much less pain.

prometheus
02-15-2013, 07:04 AM
This is a nice HV fire indeed...but not super convincing.
It would fit rather well in a full-3D production. A game cinematic or something like that. Blur Studios have plenty of old videos with voxel-based fire that looks similar to this one. So, as far as everything was 3D it would work quite well.
Now, along real footage? no way. That fire would stand out pretty badly along real actors.
I think its the nature of HVs.

You can go much further with turbulence or any other container-based fluids tool, and more importantly, with much less pain.

Yes indeed..agreed.

Michael

mummyman
02-15-2013, 07:11 AM

Awesome movie....awesome remake of the shot! Side shot is pretty cool...

DonJMyers
02-15-2013, 11:21 AM
It looks like you are all using big round hypervoxels to good effect. I always default to "as many hv's as possible" but I see now that's not the best way for this.

bazsa73
02-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi Dudes,

Check this out, I uploaded ages ago this sample scene file. Post #13.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?125299-diabolic-fire-hypervoxels-reloaded&p=1213868#post1213868

but you need to take the rendered stuff into a composer, I used AE. Extra post-motion blur (CC), glows and distortions are all needed. Imho.
Plus I use a double pass technique. I composite the fire once. Then I render out a RAM preview and I do all the nasty things once more with it.
So good luck pals.
(I'm not a pal bro!)

Cheers

prometheus
02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
yeah..thanks..have been playing around with it, I think there is possibilities to improve directly in lightwave though.

one problem with it perhaps..it doesnīt turn up well against blue lighter sky for example, Im trying to redo that somehow.
if I get any decent stuff I repost with your permission.

Then I think particle motion can be improved on too, reducing explosion and vibration threshold control, not sure about the y motion either, have reduced parent motion too..but we will see.
Cant believe Im fiddling around with this...now that we got turbulenceFD...but given time and of curiousity on how far it can be pushed sucked me in to it:)

Michael

lwanmtr
02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Hehe, I'd love Turbulence FD, but its not in my budget at this time.

prometheus
02-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Hehe, I'd love Turbulence FD, but its not in my budget at this time.

I just need to evaluate Turbulence a little bit more..had some issues with 32 bit and collision objects, then I would like to see the particle advection getting in there before purchase.
http://vimeo.com/35832026
http://vimeo.com/26555172

Budget is a matter of priority, save on clothing..food etc..and other fun stuff, and it might be affordable if you have big plans for it.
Michael

lwanmtr
02-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Yep, sadly, i have to budget carefully....took alot of mucking about to finally get the 11.5 LW....Food is a must have...clothing..well, that takes a back seat to software...lol. Only movie I've seen in about 6 months or so was Hobbit.

Maybe TFD is something NewTek should look at 'acquiring' and making a standard part. Of course, maybe they're already working on something else..which to me is possible, given the amount of additions and changes since 11.0.

prometheus
02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Buy tuna fish in cans, and other food cheap somewere:), try and sell things if you have, avoid snacks etc and so on, there a lotīs of things that can be saved on if you set your mind to it, beer strictly forbidden:)

I would like to see newtek doing bundle sales, but that would require some sort of understanding with those third party developers, but it would be offering update versions of lightwave bundled with turbulence or/and lw cad for example..for a cheaper cost than buying lightwave then the plugins seperatly.
Bundled together with some fancy name such as Lightwave premium or extrem perhaps.

I bought in to core, never got a t-shirt, never got the full tech so far of what we were supposed to, but that another store, new customers got poser bundled...so I feel a little neglected on the sales
department from having bought in to something...and not getting that extra you know.

Michael

lwanmtr
02-18-2013, 06:25 PM
I thought the Poser thing ended already?

I remember when I got Vue Infinite as a bundle, and then LWCad (2, i think) as an upgrade bundle. The only thing I think that makes those difficult is that the user then expects updates to those 3rd party bundles.

I dont drink beer, Tuna on occaision..Mac n Cheese :)

shrox
02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Yep, sadly, i have to budget carefully....took alot of mucking about to finally get the 11.5 LW....Food is a must have...clothing..well, that takes a back seat to software...lol. Only movie I've seen in about 6 months or so was Hobbit...

I remember when artists used to have to choose between drugs, food and art supplies. You could usually afford only two (the old production triangle truism...). Computers changed all that, as long as you can plug in, you're set!

lwanmtr
02-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Lol

prometheus
02-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Sorry for going of topic of the thread here, just have to investigate some living costs here:) I will try and get back on track on the fire soon.
But hereīs a small list of some costs...in swedish sek and converted to dollar.some basic stuff, tainted with my own experience.

some small basic statistics of living in sweden..converted to USD.

Medium month salery ranging from..
20 000 sek - 24 000 sek thatīs 3140 - 3768 USD

monthly card for traveling by bus stockholm area.
690 sek thatīs 108.3 USD

eating out per day ..lunch
74 sek thatīs 11.6 USD

Daily food..lunch without extra additions.
ready to warm dishes..prepacked to warm in micro
25.90 sek Thatīs 4.1 USD

make cheap food on your own such as tuna and pasta together...
14-20 sek...Thatīs 2.2 - 3.14 USD

Milk /one liter..
8.50 sek/ Thatīs 1.3 USD

orange juice/one liter..
13-25 sek/ Thatīs 2.04 - 3.9 USD

Edit...Missed these..

egg 6 pack
12.90 sek Thatīs 2.02 USD

monthly rent for apartment/2 rooms 59 kvm.
5200 sek Thatīs 820,71 USD

This made me hungry, have to take my food for 4.1 USD/chicken curry broccoli and rice, thatīs what I kling on to nowadays mostly, lost the job over two months ago.

shrox
02-18-2013, 07:11 PM
I can get my food expense down to $4 US a day if I need to. Haven't had to do that in two years now!

lwanmtr
02-18-2013, 07:12 PM
I've managed to get above $4 a day so far...though its tougher..specially for freelance work

prometheus
02-18-2013, 07:15 PM
I can get my food expense down to $4 US a day if I need to. Haven't had to do that in two years now!

Well..thatīs quite equal to what might be possible here, depends on how much add ons..like milk, and or juice...and if you count in the breakfast and night meals, which often just are a couple of sandwiches.

Im curious if you U.S guys thinks something sounds extremly cheap or expensive in that list, compared to your living standards?

lwanmtr
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
The list looks about right..though 3k a month is hard to get these days..and 800 usd a month for rent is on the low end, but still in range

prometheus
02-18-2013, 07:43 PM
my apartment is quite decent, living room, bedroom, shower & toilet, kitchen..thatīs all that is needed, I got a balcony so I can lap some sun at summertime and sit out and watch the stars or drink milk together with neigbourhood cats..to bad I am allergic to them, and that after having had a cat for 18 years..just love the rascals.

Itīs a little to close to the parking lot and some birch trees( allergic) a little off from main community centrum with the best stores..got a german lidl grossery store 20 meters close by, but their brand suck, but a good walk doesnīt hurt I suppose.

The rent apartment I got due to standing in line and when the good days actually had rental apartments, nowadays there are mostly building rentals with huge deposit feeīs, how the heck are youngsters going to be able and afford that?

I could probably search for and changing apartment within my landlord host, and I probably will, the cost is expected, I could go down quite a bit probably.

How is the cost of traveling by bus.? I think it is very expensive here, but that is based on just some years ago..they had o raise the cost of monthly cards
due to investments and new gates in subways, that people getīs squished by:)

If I could have my saying..just remove them, and do not charge anything ..no need for ticket control or expensive gates and much securer for bus drivers, and how much faster and much
more people wouldnīt travel by collective vehicles saving environment from pollution...the only catch would be to add the cost to taxes..but not so much.
And further that...make it almost free for tourist traveling..maybe a small fee in customs.

Michael

lwanmtr
02-18-2013, 07:49 PM
its about $100 for a bus card for one month here, more though if you add going from hare to seattle or something

prometheus
02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
its about $100 for a bus card for one month here, more though if you add going from hare to seattle or something

Uhmm..I was wrong, I was giving the wrong price for our bus cards, it is 124,68 USD more expensive than I first said...this card is valid one month and going everywhere within stockolm county.

So for seattle it seems much cheaper than in Swedens capital city, I wonder how equally the pricing is set in all U:S states?

lwanmtr
02-18-2013, 08:06 PM
its cheaper til you figure in the cost of a coffee from starbucks...lol

daforum
02-19-2013, 03:39 AM

Here is a zip with some fire that is a great place to start.

Thanks for sharing shrox :thumbsup:

I love your vimeo video, as it doesn't look like CG and totally like film.

bazsa73
02-19-2013, 05:03 AM
topic went astray to the crooked paths of Chitchat forest... LOL

rcallicotte
02-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Thanks Shrox! Great fire and without any plugins!

Cryonic
02-24-2013, 01:18 PM
The list looks about right..though 3k a month is hard to get these days..and 800 usd a month for rent is on the low end, but still in range

Really depends on where you live. Around here you can find a studio for $400 and one bedrooms for $550. A bus pass can be gotten for about $40/month if you don't want Lightrail or Express bus access. I think those raise the price to $80/month.