PDA

View Full Version : Create Rig consistently crashing Layout with the attached Genoma rig

Spinland
02-14-2013, 09:09 AM
NOTE: This has nothing to do with the set to bounding box issue.

I'm moving to a new thread because this has gone beyond techniques and into what appears to be a Genoma bug. Attached are three LWO files: two each containing a portion of the quadruped rig I was trying to create, and the third containing the full rig. Either portion compiles just fine. Try to compile them combined, and after a while I get unable to open input file errors, then the rig is created but slightly garbled (like bones instead of controllers in some spots). Layout becomes extremely slow, my cooling fans kick in, and then when trying to exit Layout it crashes. I've replicated it on both of my Macs, and I've wiped everything and started over with a clean file and rebuilt the rig multiple times with the same ultimate result. The closest I got to a good compile was when there were only three "hands" in the rig.

Fogged, #56735.

You're more than welcome to try your luck with the files.

Spinland
02-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Update: The fact it was working until I added the fourth hand subrig got me thinking. I went into the complete rig and deleted one finger from each hand--what do you know, it compiled fine!

I guess the problem is related to too many fingers in the creation process.

Is there a way to add amplifying information to a fogbugz ticket?

Spinland
02-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Okay, I know I'm basically having a conversation with myself but I'm hoping someone from NT sees some of this and it saves them a bit of looking around.

The issue definitely seems connected to trying to create more than a certain number of controllers. I added two more hand preset subrigs to represent wings and then tried to compile again. Looking at the final rig (after getting through the slew of error messages) it looks like about halfway through the first wing the scripts ran out of controller allocations and started creating bones where the rest of the controllers should have been.

Note I can reproduce this on two different Macs, one with 8GB of RAM and the other with 16GB.

evolross
02-14-2013, 11:04 AM
We're listening. :) Thanks for posting this. I haven't had too much time to get into Genoma so I can't comment.

Spinland
02-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Heh; thanks for that. I'm a little caffeinated about this particular bug because it puts full stop on a project where I need all those fingers, toes and wing bones. :)

lino.grandi
02-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Heh; thanks for that. I'm a little caffeinated about this particular bug because it puts full stop on a project where I need all those fingers, toes and wing bones. :)

I'm taking a look now. ;)

lino.grandi
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
No problems here. The full genoma rigs generates without any error.

We clearly have a Mac only problem here.

I'll verify it as soon as possible.

Spinland
02-14-2013, 03:11 PM
No problems here. The full genoma rigs generates without any error.

We clearly have a Mac only problem here.

I'll verify it as soon as possible.

Thanks, Lino!

Spinland
02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Here are the four error messages I get when I try to Create Rig with all four five-fingered hands in place, as well as a shot of how the controllers during those errors were made as bones instead. This also causes Layout to drag to a halt and then crash when I try to exit.

Spinland
02-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Heh. For whatever this is worth (probably not much) I just tried to create rig on the Rogue State Dragon from the Content selection and it died a horrible death. Over a dozen errors, twice it lost access to a plugin, and finally a garbled rig and final Layout crash. Yay! ;)

Spinland
02-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Okay, just on a hunch I tried something else: I forced my entire Newtek folder structure to be globally read and write in case some odd permissions issue was at work. Then I cleared out all my configs and regenerated everything from scratch.

Unfortunately it didn't change anything. Was worth a try, anyway.

Spinland
02-17-2013, 12:09 PM
This is positively a Mac issue. I just opened up a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit virtual machine on my Mac Mini, and installed LW 11.5 64-bit on it. Opened up that same rig, sent to Layout, and it generated with no problems. This on a virtual machine with far fewer resources than the native OS X installation on the same hardware.

plandrey
02-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Having similar results here using the human_biped_IK_spine preset model. When first loaded into Layout, no problems generating the rig. But after modifying the rig to fit my character, I received a half dozen errors regarding input and LSC. Got bones where there should have been controllers. Very frustrating.

Spinland
02-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Could you send it to fogbugz? I got my first response from my own report and they're asking if I could just be running out of memory. Obviously not (see above) but the more people reporting these Mac issues maybe the more weight they'll give them.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link:

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/

plandrey
02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the link. Just submitted to FogBugz #56865.

Spinland
02-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks! :)

Simon-S
02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
I've been having similar problems with crashing when using the biped preset. It did however seem fine if I turn off sub-patches on my model while I 'create rig' then turn them back on when done.

Spinland
02-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Well, in the latest problems I'm having there are no meshes to turn it off for. If I just have a bare Genoma rig with 20 or more fingers in it the create rig operation generates error messages, creates bones instead of controllers for the 20th and up fingers, and then crashes Layout when i try to exit.

cre8ive
03-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Hi Spinland,

I just came across this thread. I am on my 8th finger on a biped and it is doing what you are saying about error messages, controllers replaced by bones and crashing layout. Up to 7th finger is fine. I am running a MacBook Pro 2010 model OS 10.6.8 with 4GB of RAM.