PDA

View Full Version : VT loading CPUs

smggs
11-05-2003, 01:27 PM
What can I do to reduce the load on my CPUs? VT3 appears to be a major CPU hog. I'm new to VT and was doing some performance testing last night. What I found is the RAM peaks at only 350 MB when I opened 8 DDRs and 3 Visions, but the dual Xeon CPUs were getting hammered (they were running at 78% utilization most of the time and pegging out regularly). I understand 8 DDRs are a bit extreme, but the CPUs were still running at around 35-40% with only 3 DDRs and 3 Visions - the minimum we will ever run during a presentation. Am I missing something or is this just the nature of the beast???

Jim Capillo
11-05-2003, 02:58 PM
What are your DDR (and other) prefs set at?

smggs
11-05-2003, 09:11 PM
I can't get you that info until next week. The system is at the church I attend and the next time I'll have a chance to go through the preferences will be next Tuesday. I could send you screenshots of the configuration, but it may not be necessary if you can direct me to the settings that have the most impact. If you have some base settings to start with, I can run some more performance tests with various combinations until I find a good mix.

There is one other thing I'm curious about - where's all the documentation on preferences/configuration???

SBowie
11-05-2003, 09:23 PM
8 DDR's with what file format - RTV's, DV? If the latter, you can expect higher cpu useage.

smggs
11-06-2003, 09:53 AM
RTVs.

Jim_C
11-06-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by smggs

There is one other thing I'm curious about - where's all the documentation on preferences/configuration???

If you're using T3, i starts on page 3.15 of the manual.
and if you're using T2 its on page 3.13 of the VT2 manual.

smggs
11-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks Jim. I don't know how I missed that! I do a lot of training and tech support for industrial software and it drives me crazy when people ask about things that are explained in the manuals. I should have been a lot more thorough in my research!

Jim_C
11-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Hey no problem,
T(x) can be a bit overwhelming info at once wise.
Between all the everything in the software, coupled with the number of pages in that manual, overlooking info is understood.

No 'rtfm' intended.

Welcome aboard.

jim