PDA

View Full Version : radiosity solution generated via screamernet

rscottcarter
02-13-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't know about other people, but if it was possible to "network render" a radiosity cache file, that would be a big helper for my animation work.

rscottcarter
02-15-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure I was completely clear... I would like to be able to use the render farm and "network render" to generate an animation radiosity cache file... so if I have 1000 frames, and want to do every 50th frame, I would be able to spread the load out over the render farm to generate those 20 frames in the radiosity cache file.

Lewis
02-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Yes it woudl be great feature.

Tobian
02-16-2013, 07:54 AM
One feature I'd like to see is a radiosity multi-baker. Instead of doing one extremely high-ray radiosity solution (which doesn't always result in no blotches anyway) You could just do many, and merge them together. That could (in theory) then work across multiple computers, as you have them all baking the scene several times, and then average the results. A Friend of mine did this and yielded superior results than just cranking up the ray count and accuracy, but doing it as a render also has the 'render' overhead, as there's no other way to 'merge' radiosity solutions.

MSherak
02-18-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure I was completely clear... I would like to be able to use the render farm and "network render" to generate an animation radiosity cache file... so if I have 1000 frames, and want to do every 50th frame, I would be able to spread the load out over the render farm to generate those 20 frames in the radiosity cache file.

I do not think that LWSN has a flag just to do the cache file since calculating it is only a portion of the render. Now one could use the Render-Q control panel in Layout. This allow you to load one scene or multiple scenes and render them one after another. But one of the nice features of this is that on the bottom right is a Bake Radiosity button. It's still a single machine solution though.

Interesting enough there is a new -5 option in LWSN that has commands. Now if we only knew what those commands were.

mummyman
02-18-2013, 09:12 AM

I usually set the cache to "Automatic" then my frame steps... and bake the radiosity Scene. Even though frame steps are ghosted out...it does it. Then, once it is done, I switch from Automatic to "Locked" So the scene uses the locked, cache file. Then I submit my render to my render farm. It seems to work for me. If there is minimal flashing, I up the samples and repeat the process. Some occations I need to do every frame. ? Not sure... Hope it helps!

Lewis
02-18-2013, 10:02 AM
I usually set the cache to "Automatic" then my frame steps... and bake the radiosity Scene. Even though frame steps are ghosted out...it does it. Then, once it is done, I switch from Automatic to "Locked" So the scene uses the locked, cache file. Then I submit my render to my render farm. It seems to work for me. If there is minimal flashing, I up the samples and repeat the process. Some occations I need to do every frame. ? Not sure... Hope it helps!

That's what we all do (if need to be render over scremenr net) but that's not the point, thing is that you have to use SINGLE machine to bake GI and that's what we are hoping to resolve in future so you could use all network machines for baking whcih would be tons faster then :)

mummyman
02-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Sorry my bad! Yah, multi-baking would be sweet...

zardoz
02-21-2013, 04:38 AM
I think this would be difficult to do because at work we also use max and to do the same we use a single machine and usually we choose the most powerful computer.
I've read that different computers might get different results and this way you would get different brightness areas in your illumination.
Even in vray when you calculate an irradiance map you have to do it in one single machine.
So I guess unless someone comes up with something smart you will have to calculate that in one single machine.

3D Kiwi
02-21-2013, 04:44 AM
If you could bake radiosity on a farm with different cpus etc and not get any flickering then why would you need to bake it at all?

Tobian
02-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Zardoz.. That's why I suggested multi-baking for the radiosity solution: Because then it doesn't matter if you arrive at different solutions, in fact it's welcome, because the point is you take an aggregate. I believe that's how some interpolated radiosity solution engines do it, such as Vray which can merge them.

To get the same solution every time, you need a deterministic approach, that's just very tricky with radiosity solutions. It's why solutions such as 'point cloud' (for renderman/pixar) work and are stable, because the points which are sampled are fixed to the mesh, and ALL of the cloud is sampled (taking into account occlusion, and using clever octrees to ameliorate distant points). The downside is HUGE memory overhead, and a lot of number crunching. Native exit portals and light-emitting-geometry would help a lot with stability in this area too. Here's hoping!