PDA

View Full Version : Layout Item Selection Sets plugin?

sami
02-13-2013, 12:47 AM
just did the usual searching, but is there any kind of configurable Layout item Selection sets plugin? I vaguely recall one with a figure, but I'd like to be able to quickly setup selection sets and then click once to select all items in the set in Layout. Found stuff for Modeler, but not Layout. If this doesn't exist, I'll write it later on, but it would be great if someone knows of something that does this... thanks :)

spigolo
02-13-2013, 12:55 AM
it's in the master plugin is called "ITEM PICKER"...

sami
02-13-2013, 01:11 AM
Thanks, but I don't think that is what I want. I just tried it and it lets you store a few items you can pick from its list one at time -- but what I am looking for is a way to create a picker with sets called things like RHand_with_finger, and clicking that would select like 16 control nulls with the one click that I had defined to that name. Item Picker is only a list of a few items and doesn't multi-select as far as I can tell.

sami
02-13-2013, 01:19 AM
nevermind... just noticed how it is built into the Scene/Dope Editor now. How did I not see that little addition to Layout? How long has it been there?? D'oh :screwy:

sami
02-13-2013, 01:38 AM
And how on earth did I also miss custom colors in the Scene for items? How long has "Custom..." been in the color dropdown in the Scene Editor... ?? That's cool.

evenflcw
02-13-2013, 01:59 AM
There are "native" alternatives, as you've noticed. But unfortunately there are several "native" alternatives. In the new SE, in the old SE, in the Item Picker (all glorified plugins in reality). All implemented independently of one another. So NT has identified the need atleast 3 times, but not thought or made the effort to implement selection sets (or rather a more generalized item sets) in a truly native fashion, that is native to the core of layout/sdk, globally accessible and that can be utilised by all 3 mentioned instances and 3rd parties. Although there have been a few 3rd party attempts, I don't think anybody has bothered to make an ultimate selection set implementation as this should be native and no one has wanted to add to an already messed up situation or dared claim theirs should be what everyone should be using from now on.

sami
02-13-2013, 03:21 AM
There are "native" alternatives, as you've noticed. But unfortunately there are several "native" alternatives. In the new SE, in the old SE, in the Item Picker (all glorified plugins in reality). All implemented independently of one another. So NT has identified the need atleast 3 times, but not thought or made the effort to implement selection sets (or rather a more generalized item sets) in a truly native fashion, that is native to the core of layout/sdk, globally accessible and that can be utilised by all 3 mentioned instances and 3rd parties. Although there have been a few 3rd party attempts, I don't think anybody has bothered to make an ultimate selection set implementation as this should be native and no one has wanted to add to an already messed up situation or dared claim theirs should be what everyone should be using from now on.

I see. After looking at it just now, I can tell you that Item Picker is so horrible, I am practically incensed it is wasting 30K or whatever on my TB hard drive. ;) Why is it that even shipping? I would bet money no one ever uses it at all. I understand that it is a fragmented situation now.

The one in the New Scene Editor is not too horrible. Sure some usability would help. But some of that usability might require new UI controls and a much needed overhaul of the entire LW UI with docking windows and ones that don't have so much chrome on them wasting screen space and that works on multiple monitors. I guess I can live with the New Scene Editor's Selection Set stuff for now, but I see what you mean, and I probably won't write one now and just cross my fingers for LW 12...