PDA

View Full Version : I can't get Rounder to work on this model. Very frustrated!

OcatilloPicture
02-11-2013, 07:57 PM
I am using LW 11.03.

I have the attached model that I need to use rounder on to create a smooth edge. Nothing I do will work. Either I get a very chewey radius or I get one of those zero vector errors.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on this.

Thank you

sami
02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Don't have time to load & fix this at the moment, but your screenshot shows a ton of n-gons. Assuming your mesh is contiguous, there are polygons with > 4 sides on the top of the toilet rim to the hole which attached to quads around the edge of the hole. I thought Rounder only worked with quad polygons. I'm guessing you either got this rather "unclean" model from somewhere else or you used Booleans to sculpt it. N-gons aren't evil (for rendering at least) but they do make typically simple modeling operations much harder. There are lots of ways to fix this (but Rounder isn't one of them), you could retopo the toilet with quads (but you'd need 3DCoat or something), you could copy and paste points to re patch this into quads, or if you have to stick with this geometry, you could create a shape which cuts the rounding into the rim and use Boolean subtract again... There's probably other ways, but I don't know of a plugin that does what you ask and handles n-gons.

chris_lwgr
02-12-2013, 03:04 AM
You will need a better topology to your mesh

Lewis
02-12-2013, 03:09 AM
As sami suggested it's not gonna work with rounder on so many N-gons. Rounder mostly work only on clean geometry :(.

MarcusM
02-12-2013, 05:19 AM
This mesh is modeler nightmare ;] Rounder can't work good in this situation. It is from 3ds max? ;] It have two scary uv maps ;p
Try use Multishift tool like i did.

During modeling, you must look at statistic window. There should not be any 1,2 and more than 4 verticle polygons.

dxs_EdgeRelax.p can be helpfull:
http://volutar.eu5.org/lwplugins.html

erikals
02-12-2013, 05:55 AM
the topology is not good,
i'd just retopo / re-model the whole thing...

use SubD's

Lewis
02-12-2013, 06:36 AM
If is me I'd "flush" that model completely and make new one from scratch but that's not the point here ;).

MarcusM
02-12-2013, 06:39 AM
If is me I'd "flush" that model completely and make new one from scratch but that's not the point here ;).

It was my first thought when i saw this ;]

gordonp
02-12-2013, 01:21 PM
It's far from perfect, but I rebuilt the inner lip and was then able to use rounder.
It wasn't that hard to do.

Gordon