PDA

View Full Version : Flocking ground plane issues

Kolin
02-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Im playing with the flocking system and for the life of me I can't get the instances to follow the ground terrain accurately. I created a meshed plane, applied a displacement map to it, the amplitude is set at 100. I then create the flock, (tried both sphere and box), and copy paste the displacement map, with its sizing from the meshed plane, to the flock ground level texture. The agents are offset, but do not match the ground plane. I have been noodling with this for hours but still cant get them to match. Please, any help greatly appreciated.

jameswillmott
02-11-2013, 06:52 PM
I think I know what the problem is and if I'm right it's a little counter-intuitive, can you please post your scene here and I'll have a look? ( I'm guessing you're using a procedural texture for the terrain? )

Alternatively you can use the raycasting setup to project agents directly on to a mesh without copying the textures. I can explain it if the docs aren't clear.

Kolin
02-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks so much for your input. Here is the test scene.

Kolin111417

jameswillmott
02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
flock ground level texture.

That was in 11.03 but was removed in 11.5 I'm sure...

jameswillmott
02-12-2013, 12:12 AM
I've made a quick video for this, it should be online in a few hours and I'll post the link here.

Kolin
02-12-2013, 12:49 AM
That was in 11.03 but was removed in 11.5 I'm sure...

I haven't installed 11.5 yet. Does it have a lock to ground feature in the new version? Are you saying it works differently? Is the 11.5 implementation substantially better? I am trying to evaluate its functionality for an upcoming project.

Thanks,

Kolin

jameswillmott
02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Here's the video I promised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3MogqYvQJI

I haven't installed 11.5 yet. Does it have a lock to ground feature in the new version? Are you saying it works differently? Is the 11.5 implementation substantially better? I am trying to evaluate its functionality for an upcoming project.

I think it's better, it can conform to any mesh, so it doesn't need you to duplicate a heightmap texture or anything.

Kolin
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Here's the video I promised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3MogqYvQJI

I think it's better, it can conform to any mesh, so it doesn't need you to duplicate a heightmap texture or anything.

I appreciate you taking the time to clarify this. Lightwave is really picking up steam with all of these new features.

Kolin