PDA

View Full Version : Opening 11.0.3 flocking scenes in 11.5 - Broken?

stobbs
02-11-2013, 03:00 PM
I've got several scenes made in 11.0.3 featuring flocking that I wanted to render in 11.5.

According to the 11.5 addendum, "Old Flight Mode - Provided for backwards compatibility with Flocking scenes set up in 11.0
- 11.0.3."

I assumed this to mean you could open an 'old' flocking scene in 11.5 and it would more or less work (I did expect there might be some tweaking to get the same result), however every time I've done this, 11.5 completely ignores any settings entered in 11.0.3 for the generator (the director does seem to load correctly) - you just get the default 3x3x3 1m box array

I then tried manually copying the settings over. Again I didn't expect things to match exactly as there are obviously additional generator settings not present in 11.0.3 but there doesn't seem to be any relation between many of the generator parameters - 0.5/1.0m/s min/max speed in 11.0.3 seems to be about equivalent to 5.0/10.0m/s min/max speed in 11.5

This in itself wouldnt be so bad - just forget about old scenes and start experimenting from the scratch - but the calculation times have gone through the roof.

I've attached one of the mecha fish scenes from the 11.0 content - the only change I've made is make it 1000 frames long - it takes about 4 seconds to calculate in 11.0.3. In 11.5 ( with a change of generator settings to get the same number of fish and similar behaviour ) it takes about 40 seconds!!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but something doesn't seem right with flocking in 11.5 especially with respect to calculation times, which is a shame because the rest of this FREE update is great.

jameswillmott
02-11-2013, 04:29 PM
I've got several scenes made in 11.0.3 featuring flocking that I wanted to render in 11.5.

According to the 11.5 addendum, "Old Flight Mode - Provided for backwards compatibility with Flocking scenes set up in 11.0
- 11.0.3."

I assumed this to mean you could open an 'old' flocking scene in 11.5 and it would more or less work (I did expect there might be some tweaking to get the same result), however every time I've done this, 11.5 completely ignores any settings entered in 11.0.3 for the generator (the director does seem to load correctly) - you just get the default 3x3x3 1m box array

I then tried manually copying the settings over. Again I didn't expect things to match exactly as there are obviously additional generator settings not present in 11.0.3 but there doesn't seem to be any relation between many of the generator parameters - 0.5/1.0m/s min/max speed in 11.0.3 seems to be about equivalent to 5.0/10.0m/s min/max speed in 11.5

This in itself wouldnt be so bad - just forget about old scenes and start experimenting from the scratch - but the calculation times have gone through the roof.

The changes made to 11.5 were so extensive that supporting the older scene files wasn't practical unfortunately.

I've attached one of the mecha fish scenes from the 11.0 content - the only change I've made is make it 1000 frames long - it takes about 4 seconds to calculate in 11.0.3. In 11.5 ( with a change of generator settings to get the same number of fish and similar behaviour ) it takes about 40 seconds!!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but something doesn't seem right with flocking in 11.5 especially with respect to calculation times, which is a shame because the rest of this FREE update is great.

Ah, the calculation times are quite different, yes. The issue here is as follows. The flocking update in 11.5 allows us to interact with meshes in the scene now, but in order to do so flocking needs to access the final mesh shapes per frame. This in turn requires that Layout refreshes the scene completely per frame, and it is this that is causing the slowdown. It may be possible to revert back to the old faster method automatically if the full frame evaluation isn't required, but this would be in a future update.

stobbs
02-12-2013, 03:07 AM
ok thanks for the reply James. Would it be possible to 'bake 'flocks from old scenes?