PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to repeat leg bones motions with some delay(offset)?

Netvudu
02-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Im trying to pseudo-procedurally animate a multi-legged creature.
Ive been exploring different ways to animate just one leg with cyclist, and then have the others follow with some delay.

Ive found several working systems, but so far Im using a nodal one, making one bone channel follow the other bones, and using the bones world position as offsett for the animation. It works ok, but with this system I will have to manually change the bone names on the nodes manually not just for every leg, but for every leg BONE...which is boring.
Obviously I just have to do it once, but still...

...anybody has a better idea?

sandman300
02-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I would do this with IK-booster, at least to copy paste motions from one leg to another, you can then easily offset the timing of the motion.

Netvudu
02-11-2013, 09:25 AM
So does IK Booster copy whole hyerarchies of motions, or would I still have to copy bone-by-bone for each leg? (otherwise I will still the same problem that I do now)

Also, this system still keeps the main problem, which is manually entering each offset for every bone. Fine for five legs...bad for 50 legs.

sandman300
02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
It depends on the mode, it will do an entire leg in one go. You can copy the motion of an entire character or any specific part it. i tall depends on the key mode and what you have selected.
Assuming a standard Leg: Set key mode to child, select hip bone of leg with original motion, save the motion or copy motion. (there is a couple of ways to go about this) Select the hip bone of the target leg and load or paste the motion. It's been a little while since I did it myself but I believe that you can set the timing when you load the motion.