PDA

View Full Version : Genoma lino videos

man777
02-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Dear Lino :)

What would be really great, as you are going to do more videos, is one tutorial especially about the Biped Rig.
I played with it a couple of days, trying to adapt it on a realistic child model. Obviously, the model had not the exact same position, especially for the arms, hands, head (which is way bigger of course) and the proportions were completely different, which means a lot of tweaking. But it's not so simple!

I mean, it would be great if you could explain in details what we can/must Rotate, Move, and so on, and above all, WHAT WE CAN'T. ;) Or when we HAVE TO deal with polygons or points.

For instance, trying to adapt your rig, I had to move a lot the arms parts, resulting in completely wrong movements once in Layout. Moving down or up the hand goal to raise the arm was "twisting" the arm mesh the most awful way. Same with legs.
The default pose of your rig is not standard at all for the arms and hands, so I almost considered modelling my human beings with the same pose than the rig, which is obviously absurd. :D

Another thing, when dealing with realistic humans, I'd say that you are forced to apply weight maps, am I correct? (Otherwise one leg attracts the other one, or moving them destroy the rest of the body, same with the arms) And if so, could you please tell us a bit about correct weight maps in order to have good main joints (legs, shoulders); do you have to blur them, stuff like that???

I watched your fantastic "LW10 rigging revealed videos", in which you explain that we have to use weight maps, but they deal with a monster, not a human, which allows far more liberties. ^^

Many thanks in advance Sir, and once more, BRAVO for such a wonderful feature that Genoma is.

Have a nice day,
Cheers.

lino.grandi
02-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Dear Lino :)

What would be really great, as you are going to do more videos, is one tutorial especially about the Biped Rig.
I played with it a couple of days, trying to adapt it on a realistic child model. Obviously, the model had not the exact same position, especially for the arms, hands, head (which is way bigger of course) and the proportions were completely different, which means a lot of tweaking. But it's not so simple!

I mean, it would be great if you could [B]explain in details what we can/must Rotate, Move, and so on, and above all, WHAT WE CAN'T. ;) Or when we HAVE TO deal with polygons or points.

For instance, trying to adapt your rig, I had to move a lot the arms parts, resulting in completely wrong movements once in Layout. Moving down or up the hand goal to raise the arm was "twisting" the arm mesh the most awful way. Same with legs.
The default pose of your rig is not standard at all for the arms and hands, so I almost considered modelling my human beings with the same pose than the rig, which is obviously absurd. :D

You're right. This is in the video list now!

For the moment, my advice is to take a look at the content, where you can find a very simple human skeleton applied to a character. You can copy and paste the Genoma Presets in your model.

And of course take a look at the tutorial you find in the docs. ;)

Another thing, when dealing with realistic humans, I'd say that you are forced to apply weight maps, am I correct? (Otherwise one leg attracts the other one, or moving them destroy the rest of the body, same with the arms) And if so, could you please tell us a bit about correct weight maps in order to have good main joints (legs, shoulders); do you have to blur them, stuff like that???

Yes, I always blur the weights...it generally helps a lot to improve the deformations.

I watched your fantastic "LW10 rigging revealed videos", in which you explain that we have to use weight maps, but they deal with a monster, not a human, which allows far more liberties. ^^

Yes, true.

Many thanks in advance Sir, and once more, BRAVO for such a wonderful feature that Genoma is.

Have a nice day,
Cheers.

Thank you!

man777
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
First thank you very much for your answers. :)

Well, I managed to redo everything from the beginning, step by step, testing each step, and writing notes. I think I figured it all out. Once you understand some principles, it gets easier. (Because Genoma is really well conceived).

Nonetheless, I think there are some caveats we are to be aware of, which if, I get it right, you'll talk about in some videos, which is great.

About the weights, Ok, I couldn't get how to make them efficient without blurring. :)

Thanks again Sir. Can't wait to watch your next videos.
Best regards.