PDA

View Full Version : Save edge selections

Philbert
02-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Maybe this is well known and I'm just forgetting. Is there a way to save edge selections? Now that we have this UV unwrapping I'm trying to select seams for a character but keep accidentally deselecting everything. Since there's no way to undo that I'd like to at least be able to save it every once in a while.

erikals
02-10-2013, 10:18 AM
i don't think so,
what i'd do for now, i'd save a point selection, then convert it to edges.

Philbert
02-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Hmm Seems complicated when you've got edges selected all over the character.

erikals
02-10-2013, 10:24 AM
yep, not ideal... :]

Philbert
02-10-2013, 10:27 AM
I did save a selection set but then I couldn't figure out how to load it back up. I'm not sure if that handles edges anyway.

Sensei
02-10-2013, 10:36 AM
You can't save to LWO, but you can store them for later use using Selection Preset Manager.
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SelectionPresetManager

Edges don't exist. They're temporary created elements. There is no sign of them in LWO, nor Layout.

erikals
02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
partly solution >

Lightwave test - Edge Selection, Save
http://youtu.be/Yd7se4p4JUY

probiner
02-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Nope.
And that's why I made this request: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131672-Edge-Sets

In blender you can markup edges so they are used for features like the ones in that request.

The way I tackle this is making a UVs, Surfacess Parts and "Select Outline Edges".

PLG does save them in a separate file, so it's not impossibru!

jeric_synergy
02-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Like erikals says, you can convert to points, then back to edges, but it's error prone. (For one continuous line of Edges, it works fine.) There must be at least 2 unselected edges between selections, or it's ambiguous to Modeler, and it will select an extra edge.

It's like the warning in Rounder in the dox where you must generate an extra point to restrict Rounding to 3 edges of a cube.

If you must have this, go with Sensei's solution.

++++
Hmmm, for something PERMANENT, that gets saved to the LWO, I'd suggest thinking about Weight Maps.

Sensei
02-10-2013, 11:12 AM
PLG does save them in a separate file, so it's not impossibru!

Apparently it's saving vertex coords, of each edge point.
Then searching for pairs of vertexes with such locations..
Try moving points. It should no longer find them.

Or it's saving index to edge. Or index to polygon, and number of point in polygon.

Modify geometry a bit, delete polys, delete points, add new points, and edges shouldn't be found.

erikals
02-10-2013, 11:17 AM
i've been thinking about making a autohotkey script that will auto-save the selection every 30sec or so.
should be possible.

but saving edges won't be possible, only points and polys.

jeric_synergy
02-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Hmmm, for something PERMANENT, that gets saved to the LWO, I'd suggest thinking about Weight Maps.
On more thought, I don't think that would work, since w.maps are Vertex based.

Philbert
02-10-2013, 07:52 PM
I did a search for tips on ABF Unwrapping, for LightWave or any app, and came across this short LW 11.5 video that's pretty good. It also mentions saving the edge selection as a selection set, very similar to what Erikals said above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6IzVi0mPk

probiner
02-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Vertex Normal maps would work I guess since at each vertex you have a vector for each neighbor polygon. The vectors that match the edge is ignored, but the vectors that don't match would have their edges selected. Only limitation is that you wouldn't be able to have an isolated edge select, but as long there are 2 it's good to go.

I know nothing but I suspect that these types of stuff is a bit the tendon of Achilles of LWO2 format, that we see having performance issues in UV seams, non-existent vertex normal maps, basically were vertices are split. Just a guess...
Another tread where I advanced this possibility: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?128459-Vertex-Normal-Maps-as-input-Edge-Set

jeric_synergy
02-10-2013, 08:17 PM
The original LWO spec had extensibility built in, in typical IFF manner, "chunks". Supposedly, applications were supposed to "ignore but preserve" chunks they didn't understand. (Ignore worked, but preserve was rare indeed.)

I guess adding an EDGE chunk was determined to be too difficult. Certainly a full implementation of Edge friendly tools might be quite complex, similar to how so many things don't work under Symmetry.

Sensei
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
While loading object to memory, there are analysed only known chunks.
Object in memory is in custom made database.
While saving there are created chunks from database records.
It never could preserved unknown in the first place chunks..
They were not read while loading object.

If somebody will start extending object format, you won't have idea that data were lost, until you will load object back to version that understand missing chunks.
f.e. save object in LW v12.x, then load in LW v11.x or Blender or Maya or whatever, save it, chunks lost, load in LW v12.x and you're learning they are gone.

jeric_synergy
02-10-2013, 08:37 PM
I was speaking of the "ideal" IFF file, that could be anything: geometry, bitmaps, music, scores, whatever.

IME I think I only ever encountered one application, some graphics thing, that wouldn't simply trash chunk it didn't 'personally' use. It wouldn't do anything with it, but it did preserve it.

This back in the Amiga days.

But, there's nothing stopping NewTek from extending the LWO standard, is there? Although surely there's something out there already they'd be better off implementing that already HAS Edges.

Sensei
02-10-2013, 08:43 PM
I think such preservation is incorrect behaving. Imagine what would happen if data in unknown chunks would use data in known chunks. After modification of known chunks, like vertex points, polygon data, preserved unknown chunks would reference to not existing data, and would probably immediately crash application which understands both chunk types.

Philbert
02-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Perasonally I'd be happy if you could even save the selection as a separate file liek PLG does. 3D-Coat does this a lot too.