PDA

View Full Version : Help with bump and displacement maps.

Simon-S
02-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Hi All,

I working on a character which uses displacement maps to deform the clothing etc to give it more detail. I've used the nodal system - image node, plugged into a subtract then into displacement. It all works fine once I check 'enable bump' in the properties deform tab and crank up the subpatch level...all good.

That is until I want to add a procedural bump texture in the standard surface editor. Rather than behaving like a standard bump map (where the map doesn't affect the geometry) I get the mesh displacing as if the bump map were plugging into displacement and the mesh is going mental.

Is there a way of using bump textures and displacement maps together so the bump doesn't affect geometry?

Any help on this is much appreciated.

EDIT: okay...problem solved. Just adding the bump texture in the node editor rather than the standard surface editor did the job.

Surrealist.
02-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Right. Because, the "Enable Bump" check mark is tied into the Surface Editor Bump Channel. It is quick and dirty way but you can also use Normal Displacement found under the Deform Tab of the Object Properties. And you don't have to have Enable Bump on in that case. They can be separate.