PDA

View Full Version : lw 11.5 instancing help

jdomingo
02-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Hi

i am trying out the instancing using surface type but i cant seem to know how to work it out on irregular shape object. please see attached.

the one on the right is just a square plane and the instancing is working by surface type. please help

thanks

jdomingo111182

Nicolas Jordan
02-06-2013, 06:02 AM
I'm sorry but I don't think I quite understand what the problem is that your having even after studying the screen grab. Are you trying to instance a object on a ground plane that is being deformed by a procedural displacement? Can you post the scene or at least a small sample scene in order to better see what the issue is?

meshpig
02-06-2013, 06:30 AM
It looks like you've confused what has to be instanced with the surface you want it instanced from?- Add the object you want to instance to the scene, apply the instance generator via the properties panel to the appropriate object then "add object" in the next window. Try it with a null first and do a rectangular array...

jdomingo
02-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Sorry for the confusion.
1. I am trying to instance the grass patch on to the ground plane that is irregular shape. That irregular shape has a surface name of grass. So i select the irregular shaped ground plane and on the object property, i click on instance tool. Then i select the grass patch to be instance on the irregular shape plane by using the surface type option, and assign some 10000 figure but it didnt work. (Lower left )

2. I tried instancing the patch of grass on a simple square plane and assign instance by surface type option and it works. (Upper right).

My english construction is really terrible. Tanks again.

Lewis
02-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Not sure I understand problem here but try this:

1. Be sure you aren't using N-gons on your terrain plane
2. Try to switch to LOCAL axis (L) instead World (W) at instancer panel.

jdomingo
02-06-2013, 07:13 PM
@Lewis, thanks mate, your number 1 answer solves my problem. i triangulate my ngon plane and it works. thanks to all too. happy instancing

jdomingo
02-06-2013, 07:16 PM
solved

Lewis
02-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Good :). Surface mode don't like N-gons so yeah that's my first guess :).

alexs3d
02-07-2013, 12:50 AM
solved

nice trees, where are they from ?