PDA

View Full Version : 11.5 : "Place Mesh" - observations

jeric_synergy
02-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Use attached LWO. 111157
Layer one is a square tube=vine, layers 3-9 are 'thorns'

1) Place Mesh doesn't seem to respect the SubD state of a mesh when placing. Is that correct? (IOW, subd'd background layers are not placed as subds.)

2) in the sample object, when using Place Mesh in the perspective window with USE SMOOTH NORMALS OFF, it's pretty easy to place the clones INSIDE the square tube in certain orientations. (You can see them in the display as circles on the 'vine'.) This is not what I'd expect. It seems that it's reasonably easy to confuse Place Mesh in Perspective Mode at least. This does NOT occur if USE SMOOTH NORMALS is used.

++
EDIT: MORE: Hmmm.... the bottom polys of the tube are rather resistant to having the clones align to their normals properly. You can see this by using the POPULATE feature. Even more frustrating, flipping the normals doesn't affect Place Mesh's placement of clones on these polys.

Snosrap
02-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Use attached LWO. 111157
Layer one is a square tube=vine, layers 3-9 are 'thorns'

1) Place Mesh doesn't seem to respect the SubD state of a mesh when placing. Is that correct? (IOW, subd'd background layers are not placed as subds.)

Yep - it doesn't recognize the SubD state of the background layers.

2) in the sample object, when using Place Mesh in the perspective window with USE SMOOTH NORMALS OFF, it's pretty easy to place the clones INSIDE the square tube in certain orientations. (You can see them in the display as circles on the 'vine'.) This is not what I'd expect. It seems that it's reasonably easy to confuse Place Mesh in Perspective Mode at least. This does NOT occur if USE SMOOTH NORMALS is used.

Yep- I would think that is a bug.

++
EDIT: MORE: Hmmm.... the bottom polys of the tube are rather resistant to having the clones align to their normals properly. You can see this by using the POPULATE feature. Even more frustrating, flipping the normals doesn't affect Place Mesh's placement of clones on these polys.
Just make sure that the base of mesh to be placed is on 0,0,0 when modeled - none of yours are.

jeric_synergy
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Just make sure that the base of mesh to be placed is on 0,0,0 when modeled - none of yours are.
There's the 'takeway' message. :D But, IIRC, they were all in the +Y zone, so I'm surprised it didn't work .... I guess I could put a single point at 0/0/0 and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks Snosrap. :thumbsup: