PDA

View Full Version : old toaster effects

eastie77
11-05-2003, 06:55 AM
Hi.

I recently saw a skateboard documentary, called STOKED, which had a bunch of old vision street wear tv ads from the late eighties, early nineties.

the effects i think must have been done on a video toaster.

i am a mac / final cut person and would love somehow to emulate the effects, titles, and graphics I saw in the film for a production I am currently shooting.

do i need to buy an old amiga system and toaster?

or is there some other avenue?

i appreciate any help you can give me.

Cheers,
M.

Paul Lara
11-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by eastie77
do i need to buy an old amiga system and toaster?
or is there some other avenue?

No, you need to buy a new VT[3]!! :D

RayLarson
11-05-2003, 09:11 AM
It would be awesome if we could get a directory of all the old amiga effects for all us old guys to use with the T3

Rich Deustachio
11-05-2003, 09:32 AM
I thought I remebered seeing the old Amiga FX converted to VT FX on TOASTER SUPPORT (http://www.toastersupport.com/)

Jim Capillo
11-05-2003, 09:37 AM
There are more here that either emulate the old effects or are direct transfers.......

http://www.vtfx.dk/download.htm

UPDATE

Looks like the d/l's have been disabled....... oh well - bookmark the site for future use.

Rich Deustachio
11-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks for posting that link Jim, That's where I got them from, but it seem they are not downloadable anymore.

tfrank
11-05-2003, 10:59 AM
The site has been disabled for some time...but you can get a CD copy for a small donation. Info is on the site.

RBernards
11-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Hey Paul,

I thought Rob Berry offered to send you guys all the old Classic Toaster FX he converted for use in T3 so they could be downloaded somewhere?

I was in the process of converting them but stopped when Andrew told me Rob had already done them all.

Whadd'up wid dat?

Jim Capillo
11-06-2003, 02:37 AM
Rob's effects are on the above link, but ya can't get at 'em....

videoguy
11-06-2003, 07:00 AM
Hey newtek why dont you guys donate some ftp space and bandwidth for us to host these . or even better put them on content cds and send them out to all registered users

RayLarson
11-06-2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I had been waiting for the downloads to start again but I decided to buy the CD's...ordered them yesterday....would be nice to be able to get them from newtek...but alas...no such luck

ScorpioProd
11-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Well, a long time ago Paul Lara had said that Newtek had the DVEs converted and was going to release them. Therefore many others stopped working on converting them.

But this never happened for some reason.

Personally, there was a time when I could have really used them, but I think that time is gone now. Heck, I would have even paid money for them back then.

Paul Lara
11-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd
this never happened for some reason.

I began uploading them to the vfx server, but then he had to close it down.

Michael Englyst
11-07-2003, 07:15 AM
Yeah, I'm really sorry for that Paul. And I haven't heard from Bill Panagouelas who would sponsor space for the DVE's. But I got the site up and running again. I just don't have the finances to get this up and running full speed with unlimited international traffic. That is what shut the thing down last time. 71 GB's traffic in a week.. :-O

But there will be a solution sometime. I could upload them to Faraz' ToasterSupport site if necessary.

Please let me know if this would be a solution for you guys.

tfrank
11-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Michael,
Hopefully some kind of access can be worked out...but I just want to thank you for your efforts in making these items available at no cost. It's folks like you and Faraz who help make this toaster community extra special! You are appreciated!:)

Michael Englyst
11-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. Would love to have those DVE's hosted somewhere so that the site had some meaningful purpose :)

Paul Lara
11-07-2003, 03:24 PM
I'm exploring the options available on this end, Michael.
...and thanks for creating such a popular site (maybe too popular for your ISP's concern).

Paul

Michael Englyst
11-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Hehe. Well, if it's popular it means traffic. You must know that at NewTek. :D

If you figure something out, I bet the whole community would be grateful. I know I would.

And just having received my VT[3] I must admit it's pretty darn nice! Much improved workflow and I love the splines and the positioner. And the DV Batch capture is soo nice.

Thanks to the whole team at NewTek for such a wonderful upgrade.

Jim_C
11-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Michael,

I guess it's almost time to change your picture thing on the left over there.
Once your personal opinion makes the statement true.

jim

Michael Englyst
11-07-2003, 06:29 PM
LOL! Yeah, better get a new avatar online. This one is kinda .. dated? :)

Thanks, didn't even think about it myself..

And I'm going to redesign the VTfx site, so it fits with the new look of VT[3] - if it's allright with you Paul?

Have to start from scratch anyway since real men never do backups and so I lost all the photoshop files.. :)

view3d
11-10-2003, 02:26 AM
Here is what I was trying to work on to store dve's etc....

Thanks to a great deal from a data center. I'm looking into setting up a dedicated server where we all can access DVE's, Ted project files, Spline Presets, Lightwave objects/scenes, get streaming training, demo reels, product trials and much more. I'm anticipating Server/Bandwidth costs will be about $7,000 a year. There is a catch for me to do this. I will have to charge a fee to fund this community. A Community membership. So I need a LOT of you to keep the cost down. OK How much? About $50 per year for membership. That's only around $4 a month when purchased in one year blocks. Club Toaster returns. In the future I'd like to include coverage of Digital Fusion, Adobe & Ulead products and more. So lets make a bigger community that will help all of us. Membership wont be collected until there are enough of us so all I need is the promise today. If you have an interest in joining, please send an email to: [email protected]

Jim_C
11-10-2003, 02:41 AM
Hey Guys,

What size storage space and monthly bandwidth are you talkign about.
i miht be interested in hosting some space for storage. I have no time for upkeep tho, but it could prob. lower the expenise of the web 'master' (i love that term)

jim

ps.. like vintage keyboard/dum/bass jazz, try Vida Blue.
Page McConnell from Phish, Oteil Burbridge from allmans, and Russell Batiste from meters.
Pages littel side band where he gets to play with all his collected old, vintage and wack keyboards..

anyway...

Michael Englyst
11-10-2003, 02:51 AM
Well, for now we're looking at little over a GB just for the present collection of DVE's. And traffic wise, I would estimate around 20-100 GB a month depending on release of new content. The amount of storage for the collection could easily go up to 5-10 GB if people supply new DVE's on a regular basis.

view3d
11-10-2003, 03:09 AM
Michael your way low on bandwidth. You said you used over 70 gigs in a week and that was with just a fraction of the people in the community even knowing about the site. Even at 70 you would need around 300 gigs.... I was planning on allocating around 1000-1200 gigs myself along with a dual xeon scsi server to handle the loads...

d

Michael Englyst
11-10-2003, 03:13 AM
Ok, the 71 GB was just when the site opened and quite a few people downloaded from there. Knda like when women go shopping when there's shoes on sale :)

But maybe that is set low. Let's go with the 300 GB minimum up to the 1000 GB figure for now then.

Jim_C
11-10-2003, 03:13 AM
ooof wow... umm ok

well then..

:rolleyes:

Maybe Ill just be donating to the cause instead of supporting.

jim

view3d
11-10-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Jim_C
ooof wow... umm ok

well then..

:rolleyes:

Maybe Ill just be donating to the cause instead of supporting.

jim

Jim, Thanks for the thought :) I've set up many high resource sites, you definitely need to have the right hardware and net connections otherwise you will have lots of frustrated visitors.

If I could just get enough people to get halfway there, I'd even pitch in the rest myself at this point, I really want to see this
happen.

d

Faraz
11-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Hey-
I think I can handdle the bandwith that is needed for free. I'm in the process of redoing our current site, so right now it would be great to have some new DVEs.

Actually I should have all the retro DVEs and they will be uploaded, very soon. The Toaster SUpport DVEs will be working again shortly. I also hope to have more things to offer, such as Toaster Script, Splines, Tool Shed presets and etc. but this is only possible if other contribute.

Thanks-
Faraz Ahmed

P.S. Micheal, I would be happy to host your DVEs...

videoconcepts
11-11-2003, 03:12 PM
I read all tese post but did not get if somone had gotten the old fx on line somewhere.? some softedge and organic wipes would be nice.

Randyc.

wvp
11-11-2003, 10:16 PM
They exsist, but are not available for download at this time. Drop me a private email at [email protected] with your address and I'll see if I can get a disk of them to you.

irfan
12-18-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
I'm exploring the options available on this end, Michael.

Paul

Any update on this Paul?

Maybe I've missed another newer thread?

Irfan

Michael Englyst
12-18-2003, 02:16 AM
It's weird because I have now mailed Faraz twice so he can download the DVE's and host them so you guys will be able to download them. But so far no response. Anyone knows why?

Jim Capillo
12-18-2003, 04:28 AM
He used to be active on this board and others, but I haven't read any posts from him in quite a while. :confused:

videoguy
12-18-2003, 05:42 AM
remember faraz is still in high school so unlike many of us users who are handcufffed to their desk he may have a life :D :D

Michael Englyst
12-18-2003, 05:47 AM
School?.. What's that? Something about books, reading and remembering stuff.. Can't entirely remember what it is now :)

Paul Lara
12-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Faraz is doing well.
He was out for NewTek Reseller training last week.
I'll speak with our IT staff on which pipe has sufficient storage and bandwidth to upload these classic wipes.

Michael Englyst
12-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Great Paul! Thanks! Would it be possible to link directly to them from my site? Would be neat to be able to do that. But ofcourse, you serve, you rule :)