PDA

View Full Version : Sculptris

rdolishny
02-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Have any LW users spent any time with the FREE Sculptris software from ZBrush?

I've always wanted to try ZBrush but when I saw this I gave it a shot. I was able to model some fun creepy geometry, export it to LW as an OBJ, then bone it and animate it in seconds.

Seems too good to be true. Any caveats?

BTW the GoZ won't work without a full license of ZBrush. It's a one-way trip from Sculptris to LW. And I haven't been able to find how to export UV maps (but I've only been on this for 30 minutes).

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

probiner
02-05-2013, 12:04 PM
I prefer meshmixer tool set. Much more broad. Sculptris is more focused and easier to grasp. On both you will have to deal with triangulation, retopo and bake if you want a tidy way to work. I use PLG Reduce to decimate the polygons that don't face the camera.

Cheers

erikals
02-05-2013, 12:25 PM
hi, check these, some answers here >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7b70aFPRIo
http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst/videos?query=sculptris

i find it alright, considering it's free...
1 mill poly limit though...

Crush
02-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Sculptris is not developed by Pixologic. Dr. Petter developed this for fun in only 6 months and invented with Sculptris a new style of sculpting (dynamic surface subdivision). This tool was always intended to be free for everybody. He worked on other cool features like automatic retopology as the Pixologic guys called and hired him (a bad day for sculptris). I think they didnīt want him to continue with the development and this was the best way to stop him and besides they get his knowledge. Because he wanted the program to stay free they allowed him to release it watermaked under their name and setup a small homepage on their site that it looks to others it is developed and given away at Pixologic for free (marketing trick).
Dr. Petters homepage is here if you want to take a look into the past: http://www.drpetter.se/project_sculpt.html

adrian
02-06-2013, 02:55 AM
Interesting bit of info about Sculptris but that being said if someone likes using that I'm sure they'd love using Zbrush.

bobakabob
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Interesting bit of info about Sculptris but that being said if someone likes using that I'm sure they'd love using Zbrush.

Agreed. Zbrush was a revolutionary development before Sculptris came along, though it's easy to see why Pixologic embraced the technology. It was integrated and made free to Zbrush users as Dynamesh. I can't recommend Zbrush highly enough as it's a mind blowingly sophisticated modeling / surfacing tool, a great companion to Lightwave and brilliant fun to use. Incredible value too, Users haven't paid for an upgrade in years. Don't listen to those who moan about the interface, it takes some practice and may seem daunting at first but once it clicks makes perfect sense.

chikega
02-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Sculptris has dynamic surface subdivision ... so as you paint, detail (extra polygons) gets added on the fly. Essentially you can 'paint' a limb onto your torso. You can't do that in Zbrush .. at least not yet (Dynamesh is a work around). And if you have too many polys in one area, you can dynamically reduce the polys with a brush. I just enjoy 'doodling' in Sculptris more so than in Zbrush. In fact, the Crease brush add on was developed for Zbrush to imitate the one found in Sculptris. Also, Taron met Dr. Petter before Pixologic came into the picture and he's a big advocate as you can probably tell by his articles in 3d Artist magazine.

Sande
02-07-2013, 12:33 AM
I've used Sculptris quite a bit. Like Chikega said, it is really good in loose freeform doodling. I also really like it's flatten tool, where you can lock it to a plane and quickly have even surfaces and extrusions. Detailing is usually better left for Zbrush, though.

bobakabob
02-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Sculptris has dynamic surface subdivision ... so as you paint, detail (extra polygons) gets added on the fly. Essentially you can 'paint' a limb onto your torso. You can't do that in Zbrush .. at least not yet (Dynamesh is a work around).

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Dynamesh

adrian
02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
I can't recommend Zbrush highly enough as it's a mind blowingly sophisticated modeling / surfacing tool, a great companion to Lightwave and brilliant fun to use.

Totally agree about it being a mind blowing piece of sculpting kit - I still can't believe how cool Dynamesh is! I wouldn't say it's brilliant fun to use for me at the moment but I'm just about at the stage where I feel more comfortable playing around in it. Hopefully one day soon It'll be as much fun as I imagine it would be when you can just let your creativity flow. I've just bought Dynamic Anatomy by Burne Hogarth which comes highly recommended. I hope this will enable me to really get to know human anatomy better and as a result enable me to just "go for it".

chikega
02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I have Zbrush and I use Dynamesh, but Dynamesh is not quite the same thing as dynamic subdivision in Sculptris. ... Sculptris only adds detail or extra polys in one area where you brush it in. ZBrush you have to CTRL drag with Dynamesh acitvate it to add polys .. and it creates an even distribution over the entire model.

"Once you have a DynaMesh you can sculpt it with any of ZBrush’s array of sculpting tools. This will naturally result in polygons becoming distorted in some places as you make significant changes to the base shape. At any point during this sculpting (and as often as you wish), simply hold CTRL and drag on any open area of the document. ZBrush will instantly retopologize your DynaMesh to restore a uniform geometry distribution."

They both accomplish the same goal, but Dynamesh is trickier to use because it can 'soften' previous details and it also takes an extra step by using the CTRL drag.

In Sculptris, you can detail out various parts of the model as you go. In Zbrush, you have to go from roughing out the shape and withholding adding details until you come closer to finalizing your model. If you place a lot of detail in one part of the model and then go to another part of the model to add detail and then use Dynamesh, you essentially soften or wipe out the detail you placed earlier.

erikals
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
and then there is 3D-Coat...

cresshead
02-07-2013, 03:08 PM
i was wondering how long 3d coat would take to arrive in a sculpting thread!

also mudbox, modo and blender...and silo...there you go...all sculpting apps catered for now!

probiner
02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
I thought Modo was useless with it's handling of seams.

chikega
02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
modo has a known issue with seams related to sculpting using a displacement map. "Multiresolution" mesh is the only workable option to sculpt details in modo currently, to my understanding. Maybe 701 will address the displacement-map seam problem.

ZE_COLMEIA
02-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Have any LW users spent any time with the FREE Sculptris software from ZBrush?

I would say I do my whole organic modeling and texture in scupltris, it's an amazing software!

erikals
02-09-2013, 04:31 AM
i like it, it's alright for med-res stuff...
the problem is if you go high-res... then it wont cut it...

Chris Jones
02-12-2013, 06:26 AM
i find it alright, considering it's free...
1 mill poly limit though...I've taken it over 2M actually. ;)

erikals
02-12-2013, 07:02 AM
How? \ :]

Doctor49152
02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I use sculptris to do a quick rough then go to Zbrush. Now this meshmixer sounds like a damn cool piece of software to add to my collection.

I've also used 123D Scuplt on the ipad. I wish the Sculpt Master 3D was ipad friendly too as it has better export options. It's only iphone friendly right now and extremely basic. But fun to pass the time. There is another one called Forger that looks really cool.

Chris Jones
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
How? \ :]Just by adding detail. Stops just short of 2.5M tris in WinXP Pro 32 bit. It's pretty slow at that level though so it helps to hide everything except the area you're working on.

Surrealist.
02-12-2013, 07:57 PM
If you place a lot of detail in one part of the model and then go to another part of the model to add detail and then use Dynamesh, you essentially soften or wipe out the detail you placed earlier.

I just wanted to comment on this for clarification. Not assuming you don't know. But for the sake of adding additional information about Dyanmesh for other readers, because as written here it can come across as misleading.

First of all it is important to understand that Dynamesh can work alone but is probably best thought of as a part of a workflow in Zbrush that uses many tools to get you to your final destination of a finished high detail model that can be exported into other programs for practical use. Or if you choose for just creating art within Zbrush.

You can subdivide Zbrush into 3 basic areas or levels of work on your model. (mesh speaking that is) And this does relate back to Dynamesh as I will explain below.

1) Base mesh Creation.
2) Re-topology
3) Re-projection.

The basic workflow is that you start of with some kind of basic mesh and use any of the tools you want to sculpt and shape this mesh. There is a sub level to this which would be Zpheres and ZSketch that allow you to create very detailed custom primitive shapes that you then wrap a mesh around with Unified Skin or Adaptive Skin. Then of course there is Dynamesh. But it is more of a specialized case as I will explain. However you go about it, you will wind up with a base mesh that you then subdivide and work on the various levels of subdivision to shape out and detail your model without necessarily paying attention to poly flow. (topology) If you are working on a sculpt that will never leave Zbrush, that is likely all you will do or if you don't mind rendering the high polys for a still, you are done.

However more than likely you will of course want to export this model into another app in which case you'll need good polyfow and UV's. UV's are separate and I won't be covering that here.

But this is where you want to perform re-topology. Traditionally of course you can retopo in an external app. But there are more tools now to do this in Zbrush. The basic idea is that you will come down to the lowest subdivision level (or lowest that you want to export) and re-topologize the model for animation and applying displacement maps etc. One of the advantages to doing this in Zbrush is that you don't have to be concerned about loosing the shape of your model. (which comes into play with Dynamesh... getting to that). There are several ways you can regenerate the polyflow in Zbrush and some of them will actually distort the model somewhat or a lot depending on the settings you use. And usually, you will do this on a copy of your original model. So you basically are free to change the shape of it in anyway and just be concerned about the topology. Or you can draw out topology by hand even with the topology brush. However you do it, you will wind up with a model that has new topology but may not be the same shape as the original base mesh and of course all of your fine detail on the original model.

This is where reprojection comes in. Now you use the new base mesh with the new topology and subdivide it again up to the level needed to capture the fine details of the original model. You then use the original as a source to project the details back onto the new model with the good topology. You can now UV map and all of that ant it ie ready for exporting.

Now this projection is also available in different tools in different ways. And here is where Dynamesh comes in.

Dynamesh is unique in that is actually uses several tools in one within the Dynamesh tool. Another tool it accesses is the Clay Polish tool. Which you can think of as an ultra-advanced smoothing tool with lots of parameters to adjust to get different effects.

So Dynamesh uses of course all of the sculpting tools. But it also has a sort of very basic re-topology tool that adds more geometry to stretched out places. And along with that a projection tool to automatically re-project the shape back onto the mesh when you re-topologize it on the fly. It also has a smooth slider and the Polish button (that uses the Clay Polish settings) which both come into play when you ctl drag or hit the Dynamesh button to perform the re topology on the object. And finally there is the resolution slider that determines the number of polygons used durring the retopo.

So, Dynamesh will only retopo the portion of the object that has been changed. It will only smooth out other details of the object if you 1) have the Projection button off 2) Have the Polish button on and the Clay Polish settings cause it to smooth out the model or 3) Change the smooth slider and of course 4) Set a lower resolution than you were working on by changing the resolution slider.

Otherwise basically by default, Dynamesh does not cause you to loose the details of the other parts of the model you have been sculpting on. And it has been designed to use the entire sculpting workflow within one tool which is very handy.

From there it is just deciding what resolution you want to be working at when sculpting because you can go up or down. But going down causes you to loose your details. For this reason it is probably best used as a way to block out your model with no real concerns about polyflow or even levels of subdivision. Also it should be noted that Dynamesh does have a limit of how many polygons it can use. So if you are sculpting at a high resolution with dynamesh, this could cap off and you can loose detail when you retopo on the fly.

Also you can use Dynamesh to continue to add high detail (within the limits), then copy the model, use some form or re-topology to bring it down to a lower poly count, add subdivision levels and then project back onto the new object (with multi-levels) and get your details back then keep going with finer details in a traditional fashion.

It seems a fair bit complicated but in practice it is very fast and intuitive. Also quite a powerful worklflow that allows for quite a bit of flexibility.

cabelo
07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Subdivision tesselation is Sculptris own technology not implemented yet in any other software im aware of...
To be honest, its super intuitive and easy to get result with. I do love the quick it is for creating or designing
creatures and then export into Lightwave for rendering.
Problem is the mesh tho in case yud like to do any animation you will end up having to retopology the mesh.
It also has its limitations such us just creating png or jpg files for textures, or not going higher than images 2048x2048...
but is great for its price FREE, and you can paint your textures on it, get cavity or bumps maps super easy too!
I really find it fantastic for what it is.

erikals
07-25-2013, 10:16 AM
edit: never-mind, i was thinking 3DCoat here... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

geo_n
07-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Subdivision tesselation is Sculptris own technology not implemented yet in any other software im aware of...
To be honest, its super intuitive and easy to get result with. I do love the quick it is for creating or designing
creatures and then export into Lightwave for rendering.
Problem is the mesh tho in case yud like to do any animation you will end up having to retopology the mesh.
It also has its limitations such us just creating png or jpg files for textures, or not going higher than images 2048x2048...
but is great for its price FREE, and you can paint your textures on it, get cavity or bumps maps super easy too!
I really find it fantastic for what it is.

Its too bad pixo killed its development. Is there any new builds released after pixo absorbed sculptris?

erikals
07-26-2013, 12:17 PM
nope, just minor updates. it's killed alright... :/
it's nice for small tweaks, but for anything more advanced, move along... :caffeine: