PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem with flocking/instancing: animations distorted

Spinland
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
I have a simply butterfly model, two polygons, animated on a repeat cycle to flap its wings. I instanced that in another scene using LW11.5 flocking, and sent six of them along a path. In the viewport camera view they behave great, but when I render the same scene the butterflies, instead of flapping their wings, stay flat and "porpoise" up and down in time with what should be a wing flap instead. Attached is a screen shot of them with wings up, and the same frame rendered.

Is this a coordinates kind of thing? I had to set the instances to use local coordinates because otherwise they mirror the offset distance of the generator from the origin and the instances end up way off in the distance instead of at the generator point. I don't know what else could be causing this.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Spinland
02-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Here's a screen shot of the same frame in VPR mode. It's perfect. So what is making the render camera show it wrong?

Spinland
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Okay, I may have solved this. I went back to the original scene file that had just the original butterfly model and the animations. It showed the same issue when I did a test render so then I knew it was a fundamental problem. The model is just two polygons, one for each wing, and two bones. I tried assigning a weight map to each polygon and mapping the bones, and the test renders suddenly came out correct.

Now I still need to go into the larger scene and re-instance the new stuff and make sure, but I feel pretty good that was it. Why it would only manifest in renders when even VPR showed it as fine is beyond me.

Spinland
02-04-2013, 05:45 PM
And to bring closure, that definitely fixed it in the flock. It's all good now.