PDA

View Full Version : Instancing Motion Path, offset position uniformly?

raw-m
02-04-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm rotating a null around 180degs and I'm attaching some instances of a thin box to it (almost like the pages of a book). On the null I'm using "Motion Path" with a slight Seperation to get an offset between the boxes - it's working great. But, I need to offset the instances down the Z axis so they don't all sit on one another. I've got something close through using the nodal OffsetMin/OffsetMax but it randomises the order in which the boxes start rotating, which I don't want.

Is there a way to do this?

raw-m
02-05-2013, 03:20 AM
I think I'm closer to what I need, instead I'm using DP Instancer (sorry, I'd move this to another forum but don't think I can!).

As you can see, I now have the offsets I want but I can't figure out how to do the time offset of each instance, everything moves as one currently. Can it be done? Any pointers?

Thanks

Cyberfish_Fred
02-12-2013, 06:05 AM
Is the time offset working? Newtek please advice, I also tried the Time Offset but going nowhere....

Newtek help!

dpont
02-12-2013, 06:20 AM
For time offset,
in Lw native instance generator, check "Parent" coordinates for the Reference Object being instanced,
in DP Instancer, check "Timing World" for Reference coordinates.

Denis.

Cyberfish_Fred
02-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks dpont, it works now!!

Freddy

raw-m
02-12-2013, 07:34 AM
I can get the offset but ideally I want the instances to follow my path is a specific order. Is there a way to do that?

dpont
02-12-2013, 08:49 AM
I can get the offset but ideally I want the instances to follow my path is a specific order. Is there a way to do that?

Not sure without knowing your scene,
specific order of References in DP Instancer?
there's an "Alternate" mode,
or you may assign a "Ref Index" nodally,
using the "Instance Index" from Instance Info node.

Denis.

raw-m
02-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks for your patience on this one! I've illustrated what my problem is - attached.

Your Ref Index sounds like it maybe what I'm after, do you have an example anywhere? How do I know the Ref Index of any given instance?

dpont
02-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks for your patience on this one! I've illustrated what my problem is - attached.

Your Ref Index sounds like it maybe what I'm after, do you have an example anywhere? How do I know the Ref Index of any given instance?

But sorry I wrote about DP Instancer..

Denis.

raw-m
02-12-2013, 10:09 AM
I've started using it but not getting very far. The first attachment I posted describes what I'm after. I cant get Timing World to do anything! I've checked the docs and fiddled with the settings in the Motion tab per instance but everything is just sticking to the null with no time offsets.

I've found the Ref Index node but not entirely sure what to do with it. I've fed it into a gradient, set the end value to the number of instances, turned it white and fed the output into the Offset. Think I'm clutching at straws now!

dpont
02-12-2013, 11:21 AM
I've started using it but not getting very far. The first attachment I posted describes what I'm after. I cant get Timing World to do anything! I've checked the docs and fiddled with the settings in the Motion tab per instance but everything is just sticking to the null with no time offsets.

Time Offset is for animated References,
it works as expected here,
i.e if your reference is a bouncing ball (from frame 0 to 60),
you can get many instances bouncing at different times
with Min Frame set to 0 and max to 60,
Not sure to unserstand your scene,
because I can just see the instancer (Null) rotating.
May be that you want rather a kinda step rotation
for your instances around the Null,
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?127274-how-do-i-step-rotations-in-instances

Denis.

raw-m
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your support, Denis. I'll do a little more R&D with the plugin before taking it any further. I've got a rough setup of what I need for now using a Radial Array, offsetting the start and end angles. Cheers!

Cyberfish_Fred
02-13-2013, 04:23 AM
Time Offset is for animated References,
it works as expected here,
i.e if your reference is a bouncing ball (from frame 0 to 60),
you can get many instances bouncing at different times
with Min Frame set to 0 and max to 60,
Not sure to unserstand your scene,
because I can just see the instancer (Null) rotating.
May be that you want rather a kinda step rotation
for your instances around the Null,
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?127274-how-do-i-step-rotations-in-instances

Denis.

......many instances bouncing at different times, okay that works!

but now I have included a color change or morph, how can I Time Offset this? It doesn't work now, maybe I need nodes?

do you know dpont?

Thanks

Freddy

dpont
02-13-2013, 04:57 AM
..but now I have included a color change or morph, how can I Time Offset this? It doesn't work now, maybe I need nodes?

You can't offset time with displacement or morphing,
just transformation, position/rotation/scaling,
or use third party volumetric instancing.

Modifying color or other surface settings per instance is possible
with a nodal setup, use the outputs of the Instance Info node
check the 11.5 addendum documentation -> Surfacing Instances.

Denis.

Cyberfish_Fred
02-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Hi Denis, we just discovered that you are the DP Instance maker!! Cool!! Thanks it rocks!

We managed it to morph the object and instances with a time offset (with DP Instance, via DPM) but......now we also want the color/ surface changes with this time offset.

Must pe possible...

Thanks man!

Freddy

dpont
02-13-2013, 07:35 AM
...We managed it to morph the object and instances with a time offset (with DP Instance, via DPM) but......now we also want the color/ surface changes with this time offset.

In DP Instance, Instance Info node, there's a "DPM Frame" output,
not the offset but it could be calculated knowing the current frame
may be with DB&W Tool nodes.

Denis.

ptr (cyberfish)
02-13-2013, 08:47 AM
We solved it, by using DP Instance.
In the Surface Node we used the DPM Frame output to control the start of mixing two different materials for each instance.
The divider controls the number of frames to use for mixing the two materials.

(see attached node overview jpg)

Thanks for your help Dennis.

ptr

raw-m
02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi Denis, just a quick one. I suspect it's because I'm a couple of updates behind, being on Mac and LW11.5, but I'm finding that none of the instances are rendering unless I "turn on" the original referenced object, either in the SE or unticking Unseen by Camera. I think it's a bug, thought I'd mention it.

dpont
02-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Hi Denis, just a quick one. I suspect it's because I'm a couple of updates behind, being on Mac and LW11.5, but I'm finding that none of the instances are rendering unless I "turn on" the original referenced object, either in the SE or unticking Unseen by Camera. I think it's a bug, thought I'd mention it.

Turning off Reference in Scene Editor works correctly in LW11.0.3
but indeed instances vanish in VPR or render of LW11.5, or worse crash Layout,
it is obviously a bug, but even if it is specific to DP Instancer
I have no clue for the moment.

Denis.

Edit: I reported it.