PDA

View Full Version : Genoma and Motion Builder

prospector
02-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Has anyone tried these together yet?

I have tried all combinations so far (I think), and can't seem to get only the motions to come back in after using the 'Load from scene' import.
I only seem to get them back if everything is checked and then I have to go to scene editor and delete all the null objects, and then the object brought back from Motion Builder.
The animation IS on my original object but playback is probably 1/3 the speed tho all frames show they are playing.

Looking for the new workflow for this genoma rig
It's probably me doing something wrong as I don't *think* this is how it's suppose to work.
At least 11 didn't.

RebelHill
02-04-2013, 09:49 AM
workflow should be no different... the rig itself is kinda irrelevant... Same basic steps as have been used since 9.6 should get u through.

prospector
02-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Tried all the 'old' ways...can't get just motions in without all the other stuff.

Also noticed all the cyclic dependencies happening...even with just the plain genoma rig and no objects and no changing anything in modeler. Just load biped, save, send to layout, convert.
Strange all this got thru beta.

RebelHill
02-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Having nulls in (those embedded in the genoma skeleton in LW prior to export) shouldnt be an issue... what WILL be an issue is if you try to remove them... remember the hierarchies must MATCH... completely.

Works for me... no issues here.

As for "all" the old ways... there's only ONE way...
http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

BeeVee
02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Also noticed all the cyclic dependencies happening...even with just the plain genoma rig and no objects and no changing anything in modeler. Just load biped, save, send to layout, convert.

The cyclic dependencies are only there while the Genoma script is doing it's thing in Layout. Once done there are no cyclic dependencies.

B

lino.grandi
02-05-2013, 02:50 AM
Tried all the 'old' ways...can't get just motions in without all the other stuff.

Rob Powers showed me the steps to get Motion Builder Mocap data into a LightWave rig (the same method he was using for Avatar) long time ago. That was already possible using his "Mocap UberRig", present in the LightWave10 content, Genoma just adds the possibility to over-animate the Mocap, using additional controls.

The very basic steps are the following:

- Load the Genoma Mocap Preset in Modeler, and adapt it to you character.
- Save the LWO and send it to Layout.
- Create the rig (Genoma/Create Rig).
- Export the scene in FBX.
- Import the FBX scene in MotionBuilder, and apply Mocap data to it
- bake the motion data and save the FBX from MotionBuilder.
- Use Load Items From Scene with the Merge option to get the motion back in the LightWave scene.

The cool thing about Genoma, is that if you have for example a Character with 4 arms, you can add the 2 additional arms to the Mocap Rig, and you'll be able to animate them using classic keyframed animation, while the rest will be controlled by Mocap data.

If after the rig has been created you still see cyclic dependencies happening, that would be a bug. If you see them while Genoma it's creating the rig, that's normal.

Megalodon2.0
02-05-2013, 03:08 AM
<snip>
Rob Powers showed me the steps to get Motion Builder Mocap data into a LightWave rig (the same method he was using for Avatar) long time ago. That was already possible using his "Mocap UberRig", present in the LightWave10 content, Genoma just adds the possibility to over-animate the Mocap, using additional controls.

The very basic steps are the following:
Hopefully I can get some time to try this out here.

We use ALLOT of mocap and this would be great if it worked without jumping through too many hoops!

lino.grandi
02-05-2013, 03:17 AM
Hopefully I can get some time to try this out here.

We use ALLOT of mocap and this would be great if it worked without jumping through too many hoops!

It should work fine. Please let us know if you find any problem.

Netvudu
02-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Well Lino, I have a problem.
I followed step-by-step, not just the guidelines you wrote above, but also the SIGGRAPH video where you did it and I find a problem at the very last step.
Everything went flawlessly all along the initial steps and on Motion Builder without problems (I had to copy your steps on MB, because I know squat of that package, but yes, I plotted the animation to the skeleton)
When I use Load Items from Scene, even if I click "Merge only motion envelopes", I still get a different skeleton parented under the object "fbx_bone_hierarchy_standin" with all the same bone names of my object, instead of applying the motion envelopes of those bones to my already rigged character .

Any ideas?

RebelHill
02-05-2013, 10:12 AM
its because your hierarchy doesnt match completely...

easiest/safest is to open fbx as a new scene in layout, check, and make any correction to match heirarchiers EXACTLY, then merge from that LW scene.

Netvudu
02-05-2013, 10:23 AM
mmm...ok, but I still don´t get why they don´t match exactly. I followed Lino´s procedure exactly. I will try this though.

EDIT: I tried and indeed, it works. Just for anybody else wondering, the solution is exactly what Rebel Hill suggested. In this case, you open the FBX as a scene, reparent the hip directly to the object avoiding the two conflicting elements ("fbx_bone_hierarchy_standin" and "bx_base_bone_transformer", which you can both delete) and then save as a new scene.
If you now follow Lino´s procedure with "Load Items from Scene" it will work perfectly.

lino.grandi
02-05-2013, 11:59 AM
mmm...ok, but I still don´t get why they don´t match exactly. I followed Lino´s procedure exactly. I will try this though.

EDIT: I tried and indeed, it works. Just for anybody else wondering, the solution is exactly what Rebel Hill suggested. In this case, you open the FBX as a scene, reparent the hip directly to the object avoiding the two conflicting elements ("fbx_bone_hierarchy_standin" and "bx_base_bone_transformer", which you can both delete) and then save as a new scene.
If you now follow Lino´s procedure with "Load Items from Scene" it will work perfectly.

Was the "re-parent bone hierarchy" option off when exporting the FBX the first time? (in the FBX panel)

If not, that should be. Even if it was off, please try to set it on and off again and see if it works without the need to re-parent anything (as it should).

Netvudu
02-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Ah, that was it Lino. It was on. I must say that I turned it on myself because you showed it activated at the SIGGRAPH´s presentation. (I have video proof!! hahah)
But indeed, with it off, it works without any reparenting.

lino.grandi
02-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Ah, that was it Lino. It was on. I must say that I turned it on myself because you showed it activated at the SIGGRAPH´s presentation. (I have video proof!! hahah)

Yes, true. At Siggraph the code was a little different. ;)

But indeed, with it off, it works without any reparenting.

That's great!