PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Sub-D balls with Heat Shrink

djwaterman
02-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Just a note to modelers here, nothing amazing but I found an unexpected use for heatshrink here. Just create a sphere the normal way and raise its division level a bit. Then create a box in another layer, hit tab key to sub-D it, and use the subdivide tool a few times to round it more. This will look pretty good but as you are probably aware, it's never quite perfectly round. But now with heatshrink we can shrink wrap it to conform to the standard perfect sphere in the background layer. This gives us a near perfect sub-D ball. Here are 2 example at different mesh resolutions.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/djwaterman/SubDBalls_zpsbb18585f.jpg

Titus
02-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Nice tip.

jeric_synergy
02-03-2013, 11:50 PM
That's nice, but wouldn't a ONE CLICK version be nicer?

Well, I just spent 15 minutes TRYING to find the author of "CreateScript.ls" on the forum: I know sometime back in August '12 a generous forum'er created a script that would scan an object, and then WRITE A NEW LSCRIPT TO GENERATE THAT OBJECT. (It's very cool.)(If someone can find that thread, let me know.)

Unfortunately, he didn't include his name in the code itself, so no clue there.

But, all you need to do is: generate the sphere above once, Run "CREATESCRIPT.LS" on it, and load/assign the resulting script to a hotkey and you can get it in one keypress.

My apologies for not being able to give credit where credit is due.

I use this to generate 'arbitrary primitives' (which I thought would make a great Search term, but nooooooo), like 'circular grids', that are handy as generic foundations for more complex objects.

djwaterman
02-04-2013, 12:09 AM
I love the forums.

nickdigital
02-04-2013, 12:12 AM
I make quad spheres by stringing the box tool and spherize tool together in a lscript. I posted it to the forum awhile ago.

Surrealist.
02-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Just do them once and keep the file handy.:)

Or download this one and have a look:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?64505-Subpatch-Primitives

Also I was thinking back then that it would be a great idea to come up with a script that did this from modeler. Maybe it is possible with that script I don't know.

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Just do them once and keep the file handy.:)
:dance: Yeah, but where? If you use the Content Directory, you'd need a copy of all YourPrimitives in each CD.

Whereas a plugin is always available whatever the CD, and doesn't take up any disk space (like my Objects/zzz.UtilityObjects folder already does).

Plus, one click is faster than navigating to load the object. ;)

probiner
02-04-2013, 02:07 AM
While ago, my conclusions on this were if you do iterations between Subdivide and Spherize you will get:

- A sphere that has a good Gourad Shading look without subdivision, if you use Smooth option.

- A sphere that will have almost no pinching on the V3 with subdivision, if you use Faceted. Makes sense since SubD likes even spacing (so this could look even better).

Maybe in the end I'm wrong, but I miss having a relaxing tool which evens the spacing of the vertices (to be used on the areas inside the control edges) so that I can kill pinching on curved areas.

Anyway, compare yourselves, just tumble the 2 spheres around with and without subdivision.
Of course the "Faceted" option creates some pinching in the edges connecting the V3s, but ideally they would be continuous and then gradually change into an hexagon in the V3 corners.

Cheers

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/Sphere-Smoothness_zps1548d51f.png

Surrealist.
02-04-2013, 08:07 AM
:dance: Yeah, but where? If you use the Content Directory, you'd need a copy of all YourPrimitives in each CD.

Whereas a plugin is always available whatever the CD, and doesn't take up any disk space (like my Objects/zzz.UtilityObjects folder already does).

Plus, one click is faster than navigating to load the object. ;)

Yep. That was my idea too. However no such plugin exists - which is why the idea to have an interface parametric subD set of primitives. And no such thing exists. But it would be a great .p or .ls to have I think.

Lacking that I just created a file which gave me all of the basic shapes. Worked for a while until I got good enough and fast enough that loading the file and manipulating it was slower.

(it was also a great study and I often offered the file with that in mind)

These days I just start with a basic sphere primitive, cap the ends in 15-30 seconds and move on.

But a set of parametric SubD's would be the thing.

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Yep. That was my idea too. However no such plugin exists - which is why the idea to have an interface parametric subD set of primitives.
That was not my point. For geometric primitives CreateScript.ls allows users to create a one-click solution for arbitrary primitives they find themselves creating over and over.

For instance, several times I watched a SplineGod dvd where Larry would construct a 'circular grid' (very much like the orthogonal views above), which took a couple minutes each. With CreateScript.ls, he could build it once, generate a 'primitive maker' script, and never have to make one manually again.

And the beauty is, it can be ANYTHING. :thumbsup:

Meshman
02-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Or Make Volleyball...

http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=36cc7fcb

Surrealist.
02-04-2013, 11:27 AM
That was not my point. For geometric primitives CreateScript.ls allows users to create a one-click solution for arbitrary primitives they find themselves creating over and over.

For instance, several times I watched a SplineGod dvd where Larry would construct a 'circular grid' (very much like the orthogonal views above), which took a couple minutes each. With CreateScript.ls, he could build it once, generate a 'primitive maker' script, and never have to make one manually again.

And the beauty is, it can be ANYTHING. :thumbsup:

Oh, yeah, very cool script. Agreed. And you are right. I was taking it in another direction. I think a Parametric primitive plugin would be the ticket. Because you want to be able to adjust parameters before you commit on a case buy case basis. So a script is cool but also somewhat limiting in practical day to day use. But still it is cool that it is there.

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Oh, yeah, very cool script.
I surely wish I could determine who the author was: we had a very fun thread going, and he did a bang-up job! Damn 'search' function. grmp

I think a Parametric primitive plugin would be the ticket. Because you want to be able to adjust parameters before you commit on a case buy case basis. So a script is cool but also somewhat limiting in practical day to day use. But still it is cool that it is there.
Yeah, but could one cover EVERY possible permutation? Perhaps in MEL, but not I think in LScript or LW-Python. And it would have to record the production history, etc etc etc.

Surrealist.
02-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Right. Not at all. I think my idea was, if we have poly primitives, why not sub patch primitives? Simple ball, simple cube, cone, cyl etc. Then I got off onto all of these other basic shapes. But at the end of the day for me I eventually just scrap it and do it by hand. But still getting some basic shapes that you can adjust the parameters with would be good. I think it would be possible. Nothing fancy, just basic starting shapes. With that script I suppose you could fill a tab with them at various resolutions. Not a bad idea, store it as a config.

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Yeah, certainly that would work, but then it'd all be hard-coded by someone w/LScript expertise. The guys with the lab coats.

The beauty of this is: Push a button, get an Lscript.

So, it democratizes script writing. ;)

And since the source is right there, add whatever the LScript command for "make it subpatches" and voila, there's your subpatch primitives, albeit non-parametric. :(

nickdigital
02-04-2013, 01:31 PM
If you add this at line 14:

fileobj1 = fileobj1 + ".ls";

The script will automatically add the lscript extension to what you write.

Unless people actually like writing the file extension, I don't.

Surrealist.
02-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah, certainly that would work, but then it'd all be hard-coded by someone w/LScript expertise. The guys with the lab coats.

The beauty of this is: Push a button, get an Lscript.

So, it democratizes script writing. ;)

And since the source is right there, add whatever the LScript command for "make it subpatches" and voila, there's your subpatch primitives, albeit non-parametric. :(

Yeah. I wish I knew about this script when I was modeling in Modeler all the time. This is the Ls commander for Modeler basically from the sound of it.

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
This is the Ls commander for Modeler basically from the sound of it.
If I take your meaning, no: it does not watch the command stream and grab a sequence of commands.

It scans any mesh, and writes the point info into the lscript itself. So, eg, you could have just loaded the mesh, and hence there would be no commands to record.

The first version was really snappy, but had a very low point limit. Sadly, when the author fixed THAT, it slowed the script down noticeably, but removed TMK any point limit.

Surrealist.
02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
OK got it. Thanks.

3dWannabe
02-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Well, I just spent 15 minutes TRYING to find the author of "CreateScript.ls" on the forum:

Is this the author and link? Used createscript site:newtek.com in google.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129816-instant-teapot&p=1265510&viewfull=1#post1265510

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 10:17 PM
That's the one, albeit that specific link is the FIRST version. iain_r quickly improved it with a less point-count sensitive version, later in the thread.

"Teapot"!!! :foreheads 8~

djwaterman
02-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Jeric, just to be clear, the latest version on that thread and the one you posted here, are they the same? The one you posted is named CreateScript-v2SCAN&REPLICATE and the one on the original thread is just called CreateScript.

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
dj, just to be safe, go to the END of the thread and DL the last one iain_r uploaded. We'd probably have to open them up to be sure.

BTW, everybody, they are LS, not LSC, so feel free to add whatever you'd like. Including version identifiers, and iain_r's handle.

daforum
02-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Does the createscript script only work on objects with tris and quads?

Does it work on Subd or CC objects too?

jeric_synergy
02-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Originally, tris and quads only. iain-r amended it to work with n-gons, then again to work with n-gons >160 points. TMK no Subd or CC support.

BUT, it's open-source, so have at it.

daforum
02-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Originally, tris and quads only. iain-r amended it to work with n-gons, then again to work with n-gons >160 points. TMK no Subd or CC support.

BUT, it's open-source, so have at it.

Cheers Jeric :thumbsup:

I make quad spheres by stringing the box tool and spherize tool together in a lscript. I posted it to the forum awhile ago.

Can you re-post the script Nick....pleeeease!!? :)

nickdigital
02-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Can you re-post the script Nick....pleeeease!!? :)

Attached.

jeric_synergy
02-05-2013, 11:15 AM
You the man, Nick.

daforum
02-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Many thanks Nick :)

erikals
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Great Nick! Thank You! http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

yep, used the SubD trick earlier with PointFit, basically the same i guess...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQY__McLSyo

it's very nice to see a similar type of tool inside Lightwave. Great Stuff!!!! :king:

erikals
02-05-2013, 03:22 PM
...maybe Mike Green's Subpatch Cylinder might be of use to some too >

Lightwave plugin - MG Subpatch Cylinder
http://youtu.be/Qq-sacn2v1w

http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=030c9846

iain_r
02-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi,

Included are a 32bit and 64bit plugins to create lscripts, they handle subd and cc. I had to use the SDK as I couldn't find anything on getting the mesh information for subd in lscript. I've tested these in 9.6 32 and 64. If you don't put an extension on the file it will add ".ls", it should also default to the plug directory.

Regards

Iain

jeric_synergy
02-11-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi,

Included are a 32bit and 64bit plugins to create lscripts, they handle subd and cc. I had to use the SDK as I couldn't find anything on getting the mesh information for subd in lscript. I've tested these in 9.6 32 and 64. If you don't put an extension on the file it will add ".ls", it should also default to the plug directory.
Regards
Iain
Holy Moly, it's Christmas in February!

Thanks, iain_r!

iain_r
02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
This is the latest zip file. Couldn't find the option to remove a file. The plugins can cope with part or all of the object having subd.

Regards

Iain

nickdigital
02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Would it be possible to add a file requester to specify where the lscripts get written to?

iain_r
02-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Hi Nick,

I have a filerequestor in the plugin. I take it you have assigned it to a menu or a hotkey, but as soon as it starts it loads a file requestor where you can pick whatever directory you want.

Regards

Iain

iain_r
02-12-2013, 03:30 AM
Hi, The plugins now list the file types as plugins in the file requestor.
Regards

Iain

erikals
02-12-2013, 05:00 AM
Ah!...
Lovely!... :heart:

http://youtu.be/22JhZhAqCGE

nickdigital
02-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi Nick,

I have a filerequestor in the plugin. I take it you have assigned it to a menu or a hotkey, but as soon as it starts it loads a file requestor where you can pick whatever directory you want.

Regards

Iain

Sorry, I had made the request before looking at the ui. You have what I asked for.

iain_r
02-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi Nick, no problem, as long as it's of use.

Regards

Iain

jeric_synergy
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
My fond hope is that people will post "arbitrary primitive plugins" created with your plugin, iain_r, post them here, and relate WHY they find the given shape useful as a foundation for continued modeling.

daforum
02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Any chance of these being available as ".plugin" for the Mac users?
I watched erikals YT video and the plugin looks sooo good!

jeric_synergy
02-13-2013, 11:38 AM

The original versions by iain_r were LScripts, so they should run on any Lightwave platform. Of course, they'll be a bit slower.

It's possible that iain_r doesn't have the compiler to recompile them for a mac.

daforum
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Was it this one: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129816-instant-teapot/page3
(post #41)

and is everything the same, except the speed of course?

jeric_synergy
02-13-2013, 11:59 AM
The first one has a point limit. You'll have to troll thru the thread to see where/when they got updated (there's no version ##s).

Erikals' example was pretty simple. Here's a script created with iain_r's CreateScript plugin that is a bit more complex:

It creates this object:

lino.grandi
02-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Really a cool plugin! So useful! Thanks for sharing!

WilliamVaughan
02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Pretty cool script... brings a little of the Mesh Presets functionality from Modo to LW... nice.

jeric_synergy
02-13-2013, 04:11 PM
It's so slick: I've very happy iain_r was so generous with his time to create it as a script, and then go on to make it a *.p plugin. :bowdown:

Surrealist.
02-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Have not used it yet, but it does sound along the lines of what I had envisioned back then. :thumbsup:

Will have to have a play with it.

iain_r
02-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments, glad you find it useful. I don't have a mac so can't create the plugin. The limitation of the lscript version is that it cannot handle subd. If someone wants to compile for a mac them they can pm me and I can provide the source C file. It's based on the vidscape, save.c, example that comes with the SDK. A quick look through the source and I don't make any windows specific calls.

Thanks again

Iain

nickdigital
02-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Would it be possible to save out the uv space with the object too?

iain_r
02-16-2013, 05:07 AM
Hi Nick, it's possible to get UV, texture, surface information out and in again via lscript. I have managed to get UV, surface and texture information loaded via lscript with an ASE file loader. However I feel that this is turning into a text version of a lightwave object. If I get some time I may have a look and see what is required, it's deciding on how to store it in the lscript file that is efficient and easily read back in. You could end up with a large script file that then takes a long time to load.

Regards

Iain

nickdigital
02-16-2013, 06:27 AM
It was just an idea. I think your plugin is very impressive.

I agree that at that point it would be the same as having the lwo file. If the idea behind this plugin is to create a library of models I would think that having as much info as possible would be ideal.

I'm trying to figure out why one would use this script as opposed to just saving out their lwos into a personal library file. Because yes, I would think it be silly to have to uv the same object over and over again.

erikals
02-16-2013, 07:17 AM
i made a micro-script that imports models >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H12XvUq7y4

not quite sure yet what i would prefer...

still, quite cool that it's even possible to do what Iain did... :]

jeric_synergy
02-16-2013, 10:12 AM
However I feel that this is turning into a text version of a lightwave object.
Rather than a plugin that would create objects 'from scratch', as iain_r has wonderfully done here, at a certain point it makes sense to make a plugin that makes plugins that load specific objects and can be made into UI buttons. IOW, something to take the coding off the user.

Same goal: push a button, get an object.

The ultimate would be plugins that do that, and add themselves to the UI.

nickdigital
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
So you want what erikals did in his YouTube video but for Modeler? That's very doable.

jeric_synergy
02-16-2013, 12:42 PM
So you want what erikals did in his YouTube video but for Modeler? That's very doable.
Yeah, but in the same fashion that iain_r (<---damn that's difficult to type) made a plugin that makes plugins, what I want is:

A script that has a UI making it easy to select an LWO, and that then writes a script that will load the designated LWO.

This would probably work best w/a dedicated "Objects/Utility_Objects" folder such as I use. Organizationally that is. EVERY one of my project folders includes an "Objects/Utility_Objects" folder. But people could use it as they will (of course).

One NICE thing about iain-r's original script/plugin is, once you generate the generator file, it's ONE file. So you can send it to your colleagues and it will generate the object, no muss no fuss. So people can share 'arbitrary primitives'. Simplicity is Good.

nickdigital
02-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah I get what you want. Unless someone beats me to it I'll see what can do. My brain is buried in finishing another script right now.

nickdigital
02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
One NICE thing about iain-r's original script/plugin is, once you generate the generator file, it's ONE file. So you can send it to your colleagues and it will generate the object, no muss no fuss. So people can share 'arbitrary primitives'. Simplicity is Good.

You're just sending geometry only though. I'm still not seeing the difference between sending the lwo vs the ls file.

jeric_synergy
02-16-2013, 03:44 PM
1) Remember the original concept was 'arbitrary primitives'. The PLATONIC plugin doesn't generate UVs either.

2) If you have an LWO, you have to keep track of it and move it around to where you can load it easily.

3) Mnemonic: it's sitting there, visible, in your UI, and reminds you that it exists.

The idea was: "I never want to make a 'circular grid' again- I want a button'. You've extended the concept past the original design goal. To me, both "Make some geometry" and "Load that file I use all the time" are both useful tools.

To me, UV maps and such are not all that important.

nickdigital
02-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Ok. If this script works the way I envision then you can manage both your lwo and lscript at once.

erikals
02-16-2013, 05:02 PM
lookin' forward to it, sounds like a time-saver :]

ConjureBunny
02-16-2013, 05:33 PM
I've been playing with this 'makeLscript' script, and it's pretty cool!

But I'm not sure if this is actually a timesaver over my current method of just having a file with a bunch of objects in it I reuse.

Each has its pros...

-Chilton

daforum
02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Here a couple of scripts I made using the .ls version of CreateScript (so no sub-d) but the objects are ready to be sub-d, just hit the Tab key!

jeric_synergy
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I've been playing with this 'makeLscript' script, and it's pretty cool!

But I'm not sure if this is actually a timesaver over my current method of just having a file with a bunch of objects in it I reuse.
Each has its pros...
-Chilton
ONE file with a bunch of 'utility objects' is a good hack too: minimizes the maintenance of keeping track of a bunch of utility objects.

If they all had good Surface names, they could even all be in one Layer. So you could "Load Into Layer" (that's a thing, right?) and then pick what you need by Surface.

Downside is you still need that file and you need to keep track of it, whereas the CREATE plugin is always there. Depends on your personal Content Directory strategy.

nickdigital
05-02-2013, 05:00 PM
lookin' forward to it, sounds like a time-saver :]

I'd say I'm 99% done. :D

Phil
05-31-2013, 10:19 AM

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135786-Mac32-Mac64-CreateScript-(beta)

prometheus
02-07-2014, 04:49 AM
Bumping in...I tested the script in layout, that is using the created object script in layout...se below..
Thanks dee, and erikals for the showcase.
Ivé been looking for such script, will be handy.
I had some issues first, since I didnīt run Lightwave as administrator it protested that I couldnīt save it, but that was an easy fix of course.

I put the create script under utilities, then I created a new main group called obj parts, from where I can arrange my own fast create object buttons, should be handy for a lot of stuff, screws, misc parts etc.

I then went to layout and tested the script there, it works too kind of..at least for loading the part..you first have to add the (created object) script again in layout but....you before you can click the button of your favourite part, you have to add a null, otherwise the button will be greyed out and unaccessable, once you add a null then run the script ...the model will be created in layout, could be handy for rocks, treeīs or dummy scale/measurement objects that will be faster to add
than null items and you wil also be able to create more advanced dummy objects.

Thanks

erikals
02-07-2014, 12:03 PM
I'd say I'm 99% done. :D

Nick, did you finish this one... ? http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

ernpchan
02-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Nick, did you finish this one... ? http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

For the most part...The last time I played with it it was working. I admit I don't use it as I don't do the model>lscript thing. But yeah, I was loading up file after file from a user specified directory.

I'm hoping the mechanisms to add entries to the lwplubindb page gets exposed. I'm trying to move away from just randomly posting scripts to the forum. Makes it too hard to search for them (given the poor forum search tools). It's also just not a very clean way to catalog stuff.

If someone really wants it they could PM me.

Oh yes, and I realize it's a different forum ID responding to the nickdigital one. I don't use that one anymore.

jeric_synergy
02-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Bumping in...I tested the script in layout, that is using the created object script in layout...se below..
I put the create script under utilities, then I created a new main group called obj parts, from where I can arrange my own fast create object buttons, should be handy for a lot of stuff, screws, misc parts etc.
[B][U]
Thanks
I am amazed that worked! I wonder how hard it would be to fold the "ADD NULL" aspect into the script? It's uncompiled...

ernpchan
12-18-2014, 06:53 PM

For the most part...The last time I played with it it was working. I admit I don't use it as I don't do the model>lscript thing. But yeah, I was loading up file after file from a user specified directory.
Oh yes, and I realize it's a different forum ID responding to the nickdigital one. I don't use that one anymore.

Was slow to release this...was waiting to revamp my site. May or may not be useful but it's there.
http://www.ernestpchan.com/newtek-lightwave-scripts

It's the Object Loader script.

jeric_synergy
12-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Ernest.

Just talking here: you say "The Layout version of this script won't load lscripts as Layout can't generate geometry." But the Layout Modeler tools contradict this. What say you?

OnlineRender
12-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Makes it too hard to search for them (given the poor forum search tools). It's also just not a very clean way to catalog stuff.

ha made this last night actually ... https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p75x225/10801981_935204133170599_6215697907855745657_n.jpg ?oh=5859c2f8e345322b5ca6df4f9bdc825e&oe=5536F6A7&__gda__=1429985824_f31a0a33c5c6cd725a126466d89686f 2

ernpchan
12-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks, Ernest.

Just talking here: you say "The Layout version of this script won't load lscripts as Layout can't generate geometry." But the Layout Modeler tools contradict this. What say you?

Ya, I know Layout can now generate geo...just not sure they can via the lscripts that iain_r is saving out. Even if they could, you'd need lscripts created with the Layout code structure, not Modeler.

Sooo...best case scenario, if Layout can generate geo from iain_r's scripts but formatted in Layout's code structure, then he'd have to modify his script to save out both Modeler and Layout scripts of your geo. But then to further complicate things...a Modeler and Layout script end with .ls so there's no way for me to know which is for Modeler and which is for Layout. Personally I found the saving geo to lscript thing not that much more useful than saving the actual geo out so to get around the Layout geo issue, I would just save out actual lwos. I put options in there for obj and dxf just cuz it wasn't that much more work but trying to load those in creates a user prompt cuz LW needs to get additional info as to what it's importing. So for me that's kinda a workflow dud since having a lwo version of that geo will just load in directly.

Those scripts were more of a puzzle in seeing what I could do versus a tool that compliments a clean workflow imho. The scripts should be uncompiled so people can do what they want with them.

jeric_synergy
12-19-2014, 11:20 AM
The concept behind iain_r's script was to make more PRIMITIVES easily available, like your QuadSphere, for use in constructing more elaborate meshes. For instance, a "QuadCylinder" is a handy thing to have at the push of a button. As such, there's not a lot of utility to having the capability available in Layout.

I suspect there's more mesh creation capability available than is apparent in Layout, but that information is either missing or buried in the SDK.

For other users reading this, know you can essentially create your own primitives at will, so if you find yourself repeatedly using an, ohhhh, hour-glass shape, you can easily make that a primitive.

ernpchan
12-19-2014, 11:31 AM
The concept behind iain_r's script was to make more PRIMITIVES easily available, like your QuadSphere, for use in constructing more elaborate meshes. For instance, a "QuadCylinder" is a handy thing to have at the push of a button. As such, there's not a lot of utility to having the capability available in Layout.

Yeah, I was just afraid of a bazillion more buttons in Modeler. That's why I made this to consolidate things down. Also on the backend, a user could have a single folder on their drive that holds all of their generic objects that's easily accessible.

Either way, people can use it or not. My feelings won't get affected either way, 8)

Generating geo in Layout is probably exposed in some fashion. What Rich Helvey is doing with python is pretty neat.
http://justaddmilk.org/?p=573

jeric_synergy
12-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Also on the backend, a user could have a single folder on their drive that holds all of their generic objects that's easily accessible.
Not to beat a dead horse but: I think there's an intrinsically different FEELING to:

"Start with an hourglass (button-push) and then...."

versus
"Navigate to your primitives directory, load the hourglass, and then..."

Even if the final result is the same.

That's workflow, on the UI anti-clutter side I'd put the primitives in an existing primitives dropdown. EG: