PDA

View Full Version : After Effects Interchange only partially working

Blinkie
02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
After Effects Interchange is not working fully for me.

I cannot send camera, null or light from LW (11.5) to AE (CS6).

I can send only a camera and light from AE to LW, but not a null.

AE will start LW and send.

Lw will attempt to start AE, But the AE screen will stay up for 2-3 seconds then close.

If I have both programs running they stay running, still there is no change to what I can and can't transfer.

Please Help.

thx.

Have tried AE CS5.5, Same results.

Jim M
02-03-2013, 03:50 AM
win7 x64 CS6 LW11.5

Send to AE functionality unexpected.

Camera and Nulls can be sent with animation to AE for LW.
Camera motion can be returned to LW
AE created nulls can't be sent to LW
LW created Nulls can be sent from AE to LW but motion isn't sent over completely, or the coordinates ar wrong. (Is there a way to set Coord space in AE?), Afte moving a null in the Y the motion goes back to LW with the motion trasforming in the Z.

Blinkie
02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Ok, found a workaround.

From the start I have selected "allow scripts to write files and access network" in AE.
Both LW & AE paths were set correctly.
AEtoLW.aex was in AE plugins folder.
Still could only transfer from AE to LW.

It seems that AE refuses to Automatically run the script generated by LW.

workaround;

Have both LW & AE running.

- In LW select light, camera or null and click "Send to AE".

- The AE screen pops up with no changes made.

- In AE select File \ Scripts \ Run Script File...

- Navagate to C:Users\(username)\.NewTek\Lightwave\tmp\LWtoAE.js x and click open.

This is the script made by LW, it now runs and imports data into AE. (at least it works for me).
Each time I want to export from LW I must manually run the script in AE.

Now I can transfer lights, camera and Nulls in both directions

Just can't figure out why it won't run automatically.

Jim M
02-04-2013, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the info.

Can you create a null in AE and send that to layout? I cannot.

DesertRat
02-04-2013, 09:33 AM
I am having near identical problems to Jim M

I am on a Mac, 10.6.8, CS5.

I can send camera, lights and nulls created in LW to AE. I can send camera and lights from AE to LW.

But I cannot send nulls from AE to LW, weather they were created in AE or LW.

And as a curious bonus, when I send a camera from LW to AE, the composition created in AE is double in time length. The keyframes are correct and baked for the length of the LW comp, but adds extra time in the timeline.

I haven't had a chance to test anything practical yet, just trying to get the 2 apps to talk to each other. :)

Jim M
02-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Check Framerates match? Sounds like something going on there. There are settings in preferences regarding incoming footage, maybe Newtek developed without taking these into consideration? Just an idea, haven't really thought that out...

DesertRat
02-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Hi, yes, good point Jim M about frame rates. I made sure in AE under preferences for import that it is set to the same frame rate as LW, but AE still doubles the time. While it's just a matter of changing the composition settings in AE, that's still quirky. I could easily be missing something.

daforum
02-04-2013, 10:05 AM
After Effects scripts with dockable Ui's should be in the ScriptUI Panels folder, and scripts without a UI should be in the Scripts folder in the After Effects Application folder.

Hail
02-04-2013, 10:32 AM
After Effects scripts with dockable Ui's should be in the ScriptUI Panels folder, and scripts without a UI should be in the Scripts folder in the After Effects Application folder.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say here can you explain abit pls?

- - - Updated - - -

After Effects Interchange is not working fully for me.

I cannot send camera, null or light from LW (11.5) to AE (CS6).

I can send only a camera and light from AE to LW, but not a null.

AE will start LW and send.

Lw will attempt to start AE, But the AE screen will stay up for 2-3 seconds then close.

If I have both programs running they stay running, still there is no change to what I can and can't transfer.

Please Help.

thx.

Have tried AE CS5.5, Same results.

I have been having the same problem too :(
Hopefully someone from NT would chip in at this point?
(Lino, Matt?)

hunter
02-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Having the same issues but I was using a shortcut to open lightwave so I could redirect my config files. If I run LW without that and just the default config directory it seems to work. I can't send nulls from AE to LW either though, but lights work. Any chance we can have it work while still being able to redirect our configs?

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Having the same issues but I was using a shortcut to open lightwave so I could redirect my config files. If I run LW without that and just the default config directory it seems to work. I can't send nulls from AE to LW either though, but lights work. Any chance we can have it work while still being able to redirect our configs?
Would a "Pinned to the taskbar" icon of LW encounter the same issues?

Michael
02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I had a similar issue....basically had to replace the AE null into a light, which imported/exported properly in LW. I then convert the light to a null. Hopefully this can be fixed.

hunter
02-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Would a "Pinned to the taskbar" icon of LW encounter the same issues?
I don't think so. Unless that shortcut had been modified to send the configs somewhere other than the default location.

Blinkie
02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info.

Can you create a null in AE and send that to layout? I cannot.

I sent nulls from AE to Lw yesterday.

Today I managed to do it twice.

Mostly I get a new null in LW but no motion.

I Still have to run the LWtoAE.jsx script manually from AE.

Dot3
02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Has anyone fixed the issue properly?

Dot3
02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
After a little digging around I created a new user in Windows 7 and tried running the interchange and it worked now I'm searching for the possible setting thats causing the issue

Dot3
02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
I believe I found the answer check if your username has a space in it I created 1 username with no space and another with a space the username with a space failed just as my original username and the username with no space worked but it still doesnt export nulls from AE to LW

PS. nulls in AE must have the 3D layer ticked and then it will export

Hail
02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Oh wow!!! Works great!!!
Thanks Dot3:)

Blinkie
02-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Has anyone fixed the issue properly?

No luck here.

Blinkie
02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
I believe I found the answer check if your username has a space in it I created 1 username with no space and another with a space the username with a space failed just as my original username and the username with no space worked but it still doesnt export nulls from AE to LW

PS. nulls in AE must have the 3D layer ticked and then it will export

Thanks Dot3

but, no change here.

AE still closes after LW tries to export to it.

Null from AE gets sent to LW but, has no motion data it just sits there.

Blinkie
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Progress!!!

Send Null from AE to LW

(tried this a number of times with success, hopefully it works for all of us)

- Start LW and AE

- In LW;
New scene - Create a Null (didn't change name or position)

- In AE;
Create an new solid and made it 3D.
(not sure if the solid is needed, Didn't want to mess with it yet)

Create a new null and made it 3D.
Create a new Camera. (default settings)

Animate the null.

Make sure Null Layer is selected
"Send Selected layer to Lightwave 3D".

-In LW;
You should now still have your original "Null"
Plus "Null 1" complete with Motion Data.

Seems that LW needs the original Null.
Had no results without it.

Let me know how this works for you.

Good Luck

DesertRat
02-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Blinkie, Thanks for the update, I'm glad you found a solution. :)

No change here for me, I followed your instructions to the letter but still can't transfer nulls from AE to LW. Cameras, yes, Lights, yes, but not nulls.

Nulls are definitely checked to be 3D in AE.

But I think we are on different platforms and different versions of AE.

Hail
02-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Blinkie, Thanks for the update, I'm glad you found a solution. :)

No change here for me, I followed your instructions to the letter but still can't transfer nulls from AE to LW. Cameras, yes, Lights, yes, but not nulls.

Nulls are definitely checked to be 3D in AE.

But I think we are on different platforms and different versions of AE.

Hi DesertRat, I had the same problem once but eventually sorted it out. :)
So try this and see if it helps
In the preferences panel of ae, under general turn on "allow scripts to write files and access network"
For some reason ae needs this to be on before it can export items to lw.
Hope its helps
cheers!!! :)

DesertRat
02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Hail, thanks for the suggestion. I just double checked to make sure that was checked in preferences in AE, and it is, and still not working to send nulls, but only nulls.

I can send cameras and lights from AE to LW, so there is some connection.

Thanks

Hail
02-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Are the nulls you try to send 3d layers?
They must be 3d layers before ae can export them to lw

DesertRat
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Are the nulls you try to send 3d layers?
They must be 3d layers before ae can export them to lw

Yes, they are 3d layers. Still not exporting.

jeric_synergy
02-07-2013, 01:31 PM
So, you get a scene, but the nulls aren't in it?

DesertRat
02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
So, you get a scene, but the nulls aren't in it?

Yes. Here is the problem I am having: (quoting myself from a previous post)

"I am having near identical problems to Jim M

I am on a Mac, 10.6.8, CS5.

I can send camera, lights and nulls created in LW to AE. I can send camera and lights from AE to LW.

But I cannot send nulls from AE to LW, weather they were created in AE or LW.

And as a curious bonus, when I send a camera from LW to AE, the composition created in AE is double in time length. The keyframes are correct and baked for the length of the LW comp, but adds extra time in the timeline.

I haven't had a chance to test anything practical yet, just trying to get the 2 apps to talk to each other."

funk
02-09-2013, 12:37 AM
I'm having the same problem. Everything works except for sending a NULL from AE to LW. I'm using ae5.5

Julez4001
02-09-2013, 05:55 AM
Isn't it AE CS6 only?

jeric_synergy
02-09-2013, 02:05 PM
As we're discussing this feature, can I suggest:

For LW>>AE transfer: "DEFAULT" is a super-bland name for the composition Camera, and not especially helpful. How about it get labeled "LightWaveCam" or "MySceneCam" or something with a little more zing and more info.

jeric_synergy
02-09-2013, 03:07 PM
ISSUES: When "No Valid Path SPECIFIED" situation encountered, no obvious way to exit the endless loop trap.

CANCEL (save tempfile) does not exit.

ESC does not exit.

Had to force-quit AE.

This situation may not occur in a properly setup up installation, but that's why it's a design flaw: it can happen.

funk
02-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Isn't it AE CS6 only?

The docs say cs5 or higher:

"LightWave 11.5 introduces a bidirectional link between LightWave and Adobe After Effects CS5 and higher."

funk
02-10-2013, 01:09 AM
ISSUES: When "No Valid Path SPECIFIED" situation encountered, no obvious way to exit the endless loop trap.

CANCEL (save tempfile) does not exit.

ESC does not exit.

Had to force-quit AE.

This situation may not occur in a properly setup up installation, but that's why it's a design flaw: it can happen.

This had me confused until I read the title of the dialog box. It says "define path to Layout.exe"

jeric_synergy
02-10-2013, 09:35 AM
This had me confused until I read the title of the dialog box. It says "define path to Layout.exe"
That's why I specified "properly set up installation".

That it CAN happen makes it a bug, no matter how thickwitted a user has to be to make it happen. Operations should always be cancel-able.

Also, why is "tempfileNNNNN" pre-loaded into the dialog name field? Why not put "Layout.exe" in there?

funk
02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
So can anyone with AE CS5.5 send a null from AE to LW?

Celshader
02-10-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm having the same problem. Everything works except for sending a NULL from AE to LW. I'm using ae5.5

I thought I had the exact same problem until I watched Cody's tutorial again and realized my error. A Null object alone is not enough. It has to be a 3D Null object before After Effects will export it to LightWave. You need to click in the column under the 3D Cube to make the Null object a 3D Null object.

Check out 7:00 where he adds a fresh Null object in After Effects and then states: "...and let's make that a 3D object." Then he makes it a 3D Null object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Bz0RiS5o4#t=7m00s

I am using After Effect CS6, but maybe this will also work for After Effects 5.5..?

jeric_synergy
02-10-2013, 03:17 PM
I believe only 3d elements/layers will export from AE, which makes perfect sense, although Cody didn't export that particular null. I think it had to be 3d so it would correctly scale its children.

AE has a whole set of rules about how it mixes 2d and 3d layers, which are hopefully entirely skipped by having this limitation, i.e. "ignore 2d elements".
++

W7, CS6: no problems with null export >>LW. Maybe it's a CS5 issue. :(

funk
02-10-2013, 09:15 PM
I thought I had the exact same problem until I watched Cody's tutorial again and realized my error. A Null object alone is not enough. It has to be a 3D Null object before After Effects will export it to LightWave. You need to click in the column under the 3D Cube to make the Null object a 3D Null object.

Check out 7:00 where he adds a fresh Null object in After Effects and then states: "...and let's make that a 3D object." Then he makes it a 3D Null object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Bz0RiS5o4#t=7m00s

I am using After Effect CS6, but maybe this will also work for After Effects 5.5..?

I already made sure my nulls were 3d objects. Once "Send selected layer to lightwave" is selected, nothing happens. Lightwave doesnt start up... it just fails silently without an error.

Doing the same with a camera or light automatically starts up lightwave and imports the data.

I have submitted a bug report. Hopefully someone will reply to it.

Celshader
02-10-2013, 10:32 PM
I already made sure my nulls were 3d objects. Once "Send selected layer to lightwave" is selected, nothing happens. Lightwave doesnt start up... it just fails silently without an error.

Doing the same with a camera or light automatically starts up lightwave and imports the data.

I have submitted a bug report. Hopefully someone will reply to it.

In my earlier tests, I had Layout open. I just tried closing Layout and using "Send Layer to LightWave 3D" in CS6 on a CS6 3D null object, and it worked.

This could be a CS5.5 issue. I think I have CS5.5 at work, so I might be able to confirm your bug tomorrow at work.

funk
02-11-2013, 04:30 AM
Thanks Celshader

Deep Purple
02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Confirmed!
AEGP_LayerFlag_LAYER_IS_3D is not set on Nulls in CS 5.5, even when it is set to be a 3D layer,
I'll have to find another way to determine if its a 3D layer.

- David

Deep Purple
02-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Found a way!
Try this:

Cheers,
David

Deep Purple
02-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Another update for exporting Nulls from After Effects to LightWave, Ben Vost discovered rotation animation envelopes did not come across under certain circumstances, fixed in this build:

Cheers,
David

funk
02-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks David. I just did a quick test with your fix and it works!

DesertRat
02-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I still have no luck with sending 3D Nulls from AE CS5 to LW11.5 on my mac. I have tried all suggestions in hopes I missed something, nothing works.

I filed a bug report.

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 09:30 AM
I still have no luck with sending 3D Nulls from AE CS5 to LW11.5 on my mac. I have tried all suggestions in hopes I missed something, nothing works.

I filed a bug report.

I'll post the latest OSX build for you to test shortly.

- David

Jim M
02-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Cool stuff!

Any chance we could get it to respect parenting from AE to LW ? Or get a world position of the NULL.
(Obviously it already works LW to AE)

For example I may have a null parented to a particle in a particle system in AE etc....

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Cool stuff!

Any chance we could get it to respect parenting from AE to LW ? Or get a world position of the NULL.
(Obviously it already works LW to AE)

For example I may have a null parented to a particle in a particle system in AE etc....
The motion systems between AfterEffects and LightWave (or any other 3d program) are very different, so baking motion is hard to avoid.
It is entirely possible though to bake *local* transforms instead of world transforms, and preserve hierarchy, an interesting idea!

Cheers,
David

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi DesertRat!

Could you try if this build works for you on OSX please?

Cheers,
David

evolross
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
There's another bug when using special characters in null names from LW to AE. Naming nulls with something like "++myNull++" (which is an old habit of mine - the '+' let's me know it's a null in the scene editor) will cause the AE plugin to return a syntax error. Other special characters are likely problematic as well. And potentially going from AE to LW. It's been fogged.

DesertRat
02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi DesertRat!

Could you try if this build works for you on OSX please?

Cheers,
David

Hi David, yes, just did some quick tests and it works! I can send Cameras, Lights and Nulls back and forth between the two applications.

Awesome! Thanks! :)

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
There's another bug when using special characters in null names from LW to AE. Naming nulls with something like "++myNull++" (which is an old habit of mine - the '+' let's me know it's a null in the scene editor) will cause the AE plugin to return a syntax error. Other special characters are likely problematic as well. And potentially going from AE to LW. It's been fogged.

Hi evolross!

This should be fixed in the latest version of Valkyrie.p I posted to this thread,
could you please check it out?

Cheers,
David

jeric_synergy
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm confused: is the AEX that Deep Purple has been posting an OFFICIAL NewTek update? Or a separate side-project??

Thanks.

samartin
02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Nice work, I've been having major tracking issues today, but discovered this thread and now they've gone :)

One quick question tho', I've got a NULL on frame 0, it looks like it's in the right place, advance frames it then snaps to a new position (consistently), is this a bug? If not, it's not an issue...

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm confused: is the AEX that Deep Purple has been posting an OFFICIAL NewTek update? Or a separate side-project??

Thanks.

It's a hotfix build, the fixes are included in the next patch update of course.

Cheers,
David

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Nice work, I've been having major tracking issues today, but discovered this thread and now they've gone :)

One quick question tho', I've got a NULL on frame 0, it looks like it's in the right place, advance frames it then snaps to a new position (consistently), is this a bug? If not, it's not an issue...

AEtoLW does not delete keyframes in LightWave, if keyframes existed before import you may experience a discontinuity, if the keyframe range in After Effects is smaller than the keyframe range in LightWave.

If it affects workflow we have to discuss a solution, like an option to wipe the animation envelopes before importing the animation from After Effects.

Cheers,
David

jeric_synergy
02-12-2013, 02:35 PM
It's a hotfix build, the fixes are included in the next patch update of course.

Cheers,
David
It's only for AE CS5, correct? Or are there other fixes that would affect CS6 users?

And: THANKS for the speed work!

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks Jeric!

Some fixes would affect all users, under certain circumstances.
There was one user who had a space in his Windows user name for example, which broke the LW->AE pipeline,
cases which were not caught in internal testing.

Cheers,
David

jeric_synergy
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks Jeric!

Some fixes would affect all users, under certain circumstances.
Soooo, should all users replace their AEX file with this one?

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Soooo, should all users replace their AEX file with this one?

Only if they experience the problems described in this thread, if it works fine for them there is no need.

- David

Blinkie
02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Another update for exporting Nulls from After Effects to LightWave, Ben Vost discovered rotation animation envelopes did not come across under certain circumstances, fixed in this build:

Cheers,
David

Thanks for the fix for nulls from AE to LW works great now. (I'm running CS6)

Just wondering, are other issues being looked at?

Send from LW to AE without AE running - AE starts and then closes
(no space in my windows user name)

Send from LW to AE with AE running - the LWtoAE.jsx script has to be run manually
(File - Scripts - Run Script File)

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the fix for nulls from AE to LW works great now. (I'm running CS6)

Just wondering, are other issues being looked at?

Send from LW to AE without AE running - AE starts and then closes
(no space in my windows user name)

Send from LW to AE with AE running - the LWtoAE.jsx script has to be run manually
(File - Scripts - Run Script File)

That sounds like the script is not run in both cases (the first instruction in the script actually prevents AE from closing when it is started from the command line)
I'll post a new build shortly for you to try.

- David

Deep Purple
02-12-2013, 05:08 PM
That sounds like the script is not run in both cases (the first instruction in the script actually prevents AE from closing when it is started from the command line)
I'll post a new build shortly for you to try.
- David

Try this:

Cheers,
David

Blinkie
02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Try this:

Cheers,
David

Works Perfect Now!

Thanks for responding so quickly.

(Wish my car mechanic was as fast as you)

Jim M
02-13-2013, 01:56 AM
First...
This is a very cool that we have someone on the LWDev team so very present.
I can't overstate how great it is.

Second...
"The motion systems between AfterEffects and LightWave (or any other 3d program) are very different, so baking motion is hard to avoid.
It is entirely possible though to bake *local* transforms instead of world transforms, and preserve hierarchy, an interesting idea!"

I don't mind if baking is the method, or retaining parenting. My initial point was if (in AE) you parent a null to another null for example and export the child, the motions don't get baked.
It would also be cool to multi select and have parenting relationships intact, but this is secondary for me.

just my 2p
'spect

Jim

Hail
02-13-2013, 05:27 AM
Would be nice also if some null object types like the gride could be exported from lw as solids for ae.

Jim M
02-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Or even better, multi selected quad poly planes. :)

jeric_synergy
02-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Jim, if you want specific issues addressed, it's more productive to provide example files.

Deep Purple
02-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Would be nice also if some null object types like the gride could be exported from lw as solids for ae.

A very good idea!
That should be in the next version of the plugin.

Cheers,
David

Jim M
02-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the reminder Jeric.
If the description of a simple situation is enough to communicate a simple idea or issue, then a sample scene is probably not that helpful.

evolross
02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi evolross!

This should be fixed in the latest version of Valkyrie.p I posted to this thread,
could you please check it out?

Looks like it's working! I tested a few other special characters and they are working. Thanks for super quick turnaround on the fix.

ivanze
02-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Hey Deep Purple, congratulations for your excellent support. It is very nice as Jim M. said to have people from the LWdev team present here.

jeric_synergy
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the reminder Jeric.
If the description of a simple situation is enough to communicate a simple idea or issue, then a sample scene is probably not that helpful.
Well, anything to grease the wheels and lower the threshold helps get things addressed. Descriptions are tricky. Nothing is clearer than an actual sample file.

Digital Hermit
02-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks deep purple, as blinkie said it works perfectly! Now to pass this information to the other thread, so others can utilize the fix. (The resolve to fix issues this fast could be a noteworthy feather in NewTek's cap!)

Best,

Cyberfish_Fred
02-27-2013, 08:04 AM
AE>>LW :

Script Alert - No valid path specified! (esc loop) - it wants to save a tmp00000001 file (Define Path to Layout.exe)

Can't do anything here, please help.

Thanks!

Freddy

Deep Purple
02-27-2013, 10:37 AM
AE>>LW :

Script Alert - No valid path specified! (esc loop) - it wants to save a tmp00000001 file (Define Path to Layout.exe)

Can't do anything here, please help.

Thanks!

Freddy

Hi Freddy!

Is the "Allow Scripts To Write Files And Access Network option" switched on in your After Effects version?

Cheers,
David

Cyberfish_Fred
02-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi David, yes its switched on.

Cheers,
Freddy

Deep Purple
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Hi David, yes its switched on.

Cheers,
Freddy

Ok, let's find out where the problem lies,
do you get this error when you try to Reset the Path to Layout?

Which version of AfterEffects and Operating System are you using?

Cheers,
David

Cyberfish_Fred
02-28-2013, 06:11 AM
Weird things are happening here David!

After effects cs6, windows 7.

I just tried the same on one of my other computers, also AE cs6 en windows 7 and it works on that one. Same Lightwave 11.5/ same cs6 en windows 7.

Is something missing somewhere? Some config data??

Cheers,

Freddy

Deep Purple
02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Weird things are happening here David!

After effects cs6, windows 7.

I just tried the same on one of my other computers, also AE cs6 en windows 7 and it works on that one. Same Lightwave 11.5/ same cs6 en windows 7.

Is something missing somewhere? Some config data??

Cheers,

Freddy

Since the error is flie related it could be that the target directory does not exist, or is not writable.
AEtoLW will try to create folders and write to "C:\Users\Public", does that folder exist on the system where it does not work?

Cheers,
David

Cyberfish_Fred
02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Since the error is flie related it could be that the target directory does not exist, or is not writable.
AEtoLW will try to create folders and write to "C:\Users\Public", does that folder exist on the system where it does not work?

Cheers,
David

Folder exists!

Cheers,
Freddy

stevebfx
03-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I have some great news to report. I posted this problem in the main bug report forum (and sent to FogBugz as well)... and I spoke to my absolute top of the line genius Tech Support gal "Celshader", who pointed me here... I read through all the posts... and didn't quite get everything happening exactly as with me.. but pretty close enough to enable me to solve my problem. In a nutshell, last night I was trying to export a scene from LW 11.5 2519 32bit to AE CS6 on a Windows 8 machine and was getting:
1. A successful export of the CAMERA, albeit with the frames nearly doubled up (scene set to 144 both in the dope and in general render settings but AE was creating a 240 frame composition). KEYFRAMES were correct, however, as I had 144 frames of action, so it was a simple matter to set the composition correctly). However, this is still an issue...
2. When I tried to export one of my 7 nulls, the first one processed through LW ok, but when AE read it, it crashed with a "Script 57 error, expected a ;" error.

Read through the posts here, and downloaded the latest build of the .AEX but nothing changed.

When someone mentioned special characters in the name screwing things up, I renamed my nulls from "FLOOR-NULL" to just "FLOOR".
That fixed it.
ALSO, I was able to select ALL the nulls to export via the scene editor, and LW processed each one in sequence, then sent them all to AE successfully (after renaming) and even the NULL NAMES transferred correctly.

So as it stands now, at this end anyway, the only problem still left was the peculiar decision for AE to create a 240 frame comp when the LW scene was 144 (again, everywhere, incl. RENDER).

Many thanks again to our own little guardian angel known as CELSHADER (!!) and thanks to everyone here posting and DEEP PURPLE for your quick and efficient responses.

Hopefully we can figure out what the frame errors are.

PS: I hereby cast my vote here and now that NEWTEK should HIRE CELSHADER on as VP of North American Tech Support, pay her TONS of money. NEWTEK would never regret such a decision. ;-)

Cyberfish_Fred
04-10-2013, 03:57 AM
Still having the same problem here, anyone else has the same?

Freddy

Cyberfish_Fred
04-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Still having the same problem here, anyone else has the same?

Freddy

Thank you thank you, found it myself. Edit preferences - reset path to lightwave 3d (select lightwave.exe)
that's it!

Peace!

Freddy

jeric_synergy
04-11-2013, 09:27 AM
I don't think NewTek could afford Celshader.

tajino
04-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Has anyone tried exporting 3000 or more frames of camera/item animation data with LWtoAE? Give it a try if you haven't. It will take AE a very long time to execute the .jsx written by LWtoAE. Reason being that the .jsx written is using setValueAtTime command instead of setValueAtTimes (notice the 's') command to create keys.

setValueAtTime command gets exponentially slower as the number of keyframes increases. Instead if you create arrays for each item's parameters and the execute all with setValueAtTimes command, it would perform way faster in AE.

Here is a thread about setValueAtTimes http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/879907 (check the last post by knubile)

Another thread here http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/887828

David, hope you could look into this. Thanks!

var position_property = cam.property('position');
var rotation_property_x = cam.property('xRotation');
var rotation_property_y = cam.property('yRotation');
var rotation_property_z = cam.property('zRotation');

//declare arrays
position_propertyValueArray = new Array();
position_propertyTimeArray = new Array();
rotation_property_xValueArray = new Array();
rotation_property_xTimeArray = new Array();
rotation_property_yValueArray = new Array();
rotation_property_yTimeArray = new Array();
rotation_property_zValueArray = new Array();
rotation_property_zTimeArray = new Array();

//create arrays
position_propertyValueArray[0] = [posx0,posy0,posz0];
position_propertyTimeArray[0] = t0;
rotation_property_xValueArray[0] = rotx0;
rotation_property_xTimeArray[0] = t0;
rotation_property_yValueArray[0] = roty0;
rotation_property_yTimeArray[0] = t0;
rotation_property_zValueArray[0] = rotz0;
rotation_property_zTimeArray[0] = t0;

position_propertyValueArray[1] = [posx1,posy1,posz1];
position_propertyTimeArray[1] = t1;
rotation_property_xValueArray[1] = rotx1;
rotation_property_xTimeArray[1] = t1;
rotation_property_yValueArray[1] = roty1;
rotation_property_yTimeArray[1] = t1;
rotation_property_zValueArray[1] = rotz1;
rotation_property_zTimeArray[1] = t1;

position_propertyValueArray[2] = [posx2,posy2,posz2];
position_propertyTimeArray[2] = t2;
rotation_property_xValueArray[2] = rotx2;
rotation_property_xTimeArray[2] = t2;
rotation_property_yValueArray[2] = roty2;
rotation_property_yTimeArray[2] = t2;
rotation_property_zValueArray[2] = rotz2;
rotation_property_zTimeArray[2] = t2;

//create all keys from arrays with setValuesAtTimes
position_property.setValuesAtTimes(position_proper tyTimeArray,position_propertyValueArray);
rotation_property_x.setValuesAtTimes(rotation_prop erty_xTimeArray,rotation_property_xValueArray);
rotation_property_y.setValuesAtTimes(rotation_prop erty_yTimeArray,rotation_property_yValueArray);
rotation_property_z.setValuesAtTimes(rotation_prop erty_zTimeArray,rotation_property_zValueArray);

Deep Purple
04-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks Tajino!

I will switch to setValueAtTimes in the next version.

Cheers,
David

lino.grandi
04-24-2013, 05:36 PM
I don't think NewTek could afford Celshader.

CelWHO?