PDA

View Full Version : fiberfx in 11.5

Pignoo
02-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Hello guys,

Is somebody know if fiberfx has now dynamics like sasquatch ?
I mean without guides...just to make short fur.

Franck.

OnlineRender
02-02-2013, 10:27 AM
FFX can support dynimacs yes ... like so
http://youtu.be/gbG0bVaGi7s

Pignoo
02-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Ok, thank you for your answer.

But it seems that the dynamics are on the mesh, and not on the fibers by themselves...

what I really want to know is if we can adjust dynamics on the fibers without guides, like in sasquatch with grass creation...
With a ground mesh, i put some fibers on it with sasquatch, then go in the dynamics and put a little wind and that'it.
Or if I put fur on an animal, well I want that the fur have the good dynamics with the motion of this animal...still without guides.

Is it possible to do this now with the new fiberfx?

Best regards,
Franck.

lino.grandi
02-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Hello guys,

Is somebody know if fiberfx has now dynamics like sasquatch ?
I mean without guides...just to make short fur.

Franck.

No, to have real dynamics you need polychain guides or Mixed Objects.
Please refer to the docs and to the samples in the content about this.
If you don't want to use guides, you can rely on the Dynamic Gravity option in FiberFX, and use animated procedurals textures mapped on the fiber settings to simulate wind and turbulence. Try mapping the Splay attribute using a Turbulence texture (and an animated null as reference object) to simulate wind turbulence.

Pignoo
02-03-2013, 04:19 AM
No, to have real dynamics you need polychain guides or Mixed Objects.
Please refer to the docs and to the samples in the content about this.
If you don't want to use guides, you can rely on the Dynamic Gravity option in FiberFX, and use animated procedurals textures mapped on the fiber settings to simulate wind and turbulence. Try mapping the Splay attribute using a Turbulence texture (and an animated null as reference object) to simulate wind turbulence.

That's really clear.
Thanks for your answer Lino.

Franck. :)

lino.grandi
02-04-2013, 03:14 AM
You're welcome!

Magnus81
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I've got a question. I have a set of guides that I spent a lot of time working on for a hair style. I made it in LW 11, and it always worked fine, but now when I try to load that exact same set of guides in Layout11.5 to render it crashes every single time. WHY?? nothing has changed with the guides, only the new version of Fiber FX . Any thoughts?

Greenlaw
02-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCkuyIYHXuA

Using FiberFX with the new Edit Guides here. Bullet calc time is literally seconds for this.

G.

Greenlaw
02-05-2013, 03:04 PM
This was my first attempt at using Bullet with guides from ZBrush, which are compatible with FiberFX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kQRSsaCpg

Bullet cloth calc times are quite impressive! Even if I was able to do this in ClothFX (which would have choked on the third and fourth tests in the video,) it would have taken hours to finish the simulation. So far, I've been very pleased with the new Bullet system.

I'll post the final rendered result with FiberFX applied soon. Right now, I'm busy doing other fun fiber stuff for our latest short film. :)

G.

Pignoo
02-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks, this is very interesting !
I can't wait to see more...

Franck.

Greenlaw
02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
BTW, there was a tutorial in an older manual or addendum that described cheating dynamics using nodes. The result was something like 'lazy points' but for FiberFX hair. I don't know if the tutorial is still valid for 11.5 but if you don't want to use Bullet, it might be worth a look.

As for Sasquatch like dynamics, yeah, this would be nice to have for FiberFX--it was so easy to setup and you got built-in wind fx too. But that said, using Bullet is not that difficult either and it's certainly more capable.

G.

rcallicotte
02-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks Greenlaw. This is great. Haven't had the time to do anything with this yet, but still installing and putting in plugins. Good to know this is useful!