PDA

View Full Version : More AA passes

Panikos
11-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Please add more AA passes for those who need them.

i.e Enhance Ultra Extreme with a total of 64 AA passes.

This will improve Radiosity-interpolation, DOF, MotionBlur.

Mylenium
11-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Hummho, that again... I don't think just cranking up the number of passes will be a solution - with the current implementation even a 128 passes or so might look insatisfactory. What's really needed instead is a better algorithm and some more control for contrast thresholds, sampling area etc.

Mylenium

Elmar Moelzer
11-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Have to agree with Mylenium here.
It would be cool if there were a few other methods for AA in future versions of LW.
It would be even cooler if some of them could be combined.
CU
Elmar

Karmacop
11-05-2003, 12:00 AM
A better algorythm is exactly what is needed. Render man uses a method (I'm sure someone can help me with the name) where the pixel it gets is from a slightly randomised ray of fake light through a fake lens. When they do motion blur the also randomise the time that the light is sent. It's because of this that things rendered for cinema with renderman aren't anti-aliased, that size res with a bit of gaussian blur looks fine. All LW needs to do is randomize it's sampling.

Panikos
11-05-2003, 02:11 AM
http://www.scheib.net/school/782/lab3/paper_sum1.html

Karmacop
11-05-2003, 06:54 AM
Close, but still a nice link :))

This is what I meant: Stochastic sampling

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=8927&coll=portal&dl=ACM&CFID=13712803&CFTOKEN=59874109

EDIT: Hmm .. I think it's patented ... what a stupid patent :rolleyes:

Exper
11-05-2003, 08:59 AM
We've asked so many times about better AA algorithms...
maybe NT will thake in count this request when they'll start the renderer revamp!

AA setup in a object by objects basis should be really useful and appreciated!

Bye.

Panikos
11-05-2003, 09:55 AM
The link I posted is describing what LW is based on now.
This principle is used by many people to spin lights etc

Having more AA passes, at least for those who need them generates more softer results.

Since LW is cornerstoned on Distributed Raytracing in aspects I mentioned on the first msg, adding more AA passes doesnt involved a lot of work.

If Newtek develops a better AA algorithm, I welcome it.
If not, at least give us the option of more AA passes.

Panikos
11-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Here is a reason why more AA passes are essential.

Rendering this image twice and compose at 50% will result in a smoother look. However the samples of DOF and motionblur will be at the same exact location.

Having more AA passes, will erase a lot of MonteCarlo Noise, while at the same time the DOF & MotionBlur samples will be spread more.

Well, I can afford to render with more AA passes, instead of rendering twice.

Those who dont want to use more AA passes, they are not obliged so.