PDA

View Full Version : Modeler 11.5 Axis Tools - Misleading Docs

JBT27
02-02-2013, 04:47 AM
With Axis Rotate, the docs say that the first click marks the end point of the line that will be the rotation axis, and the second click marks the other end, and then holding down the LMB will rotate the object. I've been finding that the first click will join a line to the origin, and that is the axis. Annoyingly, not every time - I was in the process of reporting a bug when I tried some more and found that it was too erratic to report anything coherent.

If you hold the LMB down, so LMB click on the first point and hold, then drag to snap to the second point, that works. But that's not what the docs say.

Similarly, with Axis Translate, select an object, activate the tool, then click anywhere on the object, and that point will jump the object to the origin ... but not every time - sometimes it works as documented. If you click and hold to draw the from and too points, that works every time.

Seems erratic though, overall.

Julian.

gerry_g
02-02-2013, 09:06 AM
it's very cranky, I get the gizmo popping up half the time I try and just click but I do seem to be getting the right order for clicking on things work for me

Amurrell
02-02-2013, 01:55 PM
I have actually getting predictable results for these tools, and you can get a great deal of accuracy out of them. Is what you are saying related to the "two click method" of selecting your reference points, rather than the click drag method?

JBT27
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
I have actually getting predictable results for these tools, and you can get a great deal of accuracy out of them. Is what you are saying related to the "two click method" of selecting your reference points, rather than the click drag method?

Ah now - have I missed something in the docs? I was seeing what I thought was erratic and inconsistent behaviour from the tool. I would activate the tool, click once to set the first end point, but then see (sometimes) the line immediately connect to the origin; by any stretch, that is not useful. Other times I could click two separate times to set the axis - the most reliable way was clicking and dragging though. So the 'two click method' - I'm going read that page again ...

Julian.

JBT27
02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
This problem (I get) of the first click linking an axis to the origin, happens on first use of the tool in a session. Drop the tool and try again, and it works. Again, this is not repeatable, but it has happened enough today to persuade me that something is bust. Whether that's on my setup or in LW I don't know.

I have an urge to get a screen recorder and record some of these things happening.

Julian.

OnlineRender
02-02-2013, 03:21 PM
I have an urge to get a screen recorder and record some of these things happening.

Julian.

DOOOOOO IT .. drunk is more fun however http://www.screencast.com/ or JING

JBT27
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Haha! Indeed!

Julian.