PDA

View Full Version : Another Lightwave 11 license not working

Mr Rid
02-02-2013, 12:40 AM
*sigh* I have never gotten a new LW install to work first try. And I never quite remember what I did last time to get it working. Stuck in Discovery zone. Win 7 x64.

Should it work if I paste my "LICENSE.LWK" file into my "C:\Users\...\.NewTek\LightWave\11.0\licenses" folder? And I remove the configs before re-opening LW, but still no go.

If I drag-n-drop the LICENSE.LWK file into Layout, it says it updated the license, but after restart it is back to 'license not found'.

Right after initial install, I had an error ... 'device driver software was not successfully installed'. ?

nickdigital
02-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Have you looked at this thread? I think a lot of the problems are anti-virus or firewall related.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133176-Unplugging-the-dongle-in-11-5

Lewis
02-02-2013, 02:59 AM
you license shoudl be in 11.5 folder not 11 or make cusom configs at icon and drop it under "bin" like i do to keep all LW versions self contained :).

OnlineRender
02-02-2013, 04:33 AM
I had to remove my dongle to get the splash screen to appear otherwise it would get stick in disco mode once I done that the splash screen popped up and it was a matter of dragging the file onto the window. *note* not that this will help you however perhaps anyone else with above issue

Mr Rid
02-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks all. None of these suggestions work. Anti-virus and firewall OFF, make no difference.

When I remove dongle before running LW, the 'splash screen' comes up, at top it says 'hardware lock not found'(?). I drag the LICENSE.LWK file onto it, its says 'ok,' but re-run LW and it cant find license key again. And what is the number in the field at the lower left corner of the splash screen?

I am confused how/if I can do a software license install thing instead of a dongle thing(?).

By "license" or "license key" I assume everyone means the "LICENSE.LWK" file(?).

Is there some cryptic order to installing, like remove dongle, turn off firewall, install... then at what point do I insert dongle, and do what exactly? Is the hardware lock referring to the dongle? How do I know if it is referencing the correct number/ID? Where are the clear install instructions? Does God exist? Who invented liquid soap and why?

bobakabob
02-03-2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks all. None of these suggestions work.
Is there some cryptic order to installing, like remove dongle, turn off firewall, install... then at what point do I insert dongle, and do what exactly? Is the hardware lock referring to the dongle? How do I know if it is referencing the correct number/ID? Where are the clear install instructions? Does God exist? Who invented liquid soap and why?

installing Lightwave sometimes feels like Russian roulette but 11.5 went fine here. Simpler process this time. I created new LW 11.5 folder in C, kept the dongle in machine as running older versions of LW, turned off Win Defender excluding new LW 11.5 folder from scans in the process, turned off Avast antivirus, ran the installer. No splash page for License key appeared. On firing up Layout got the "license key not found" message so dragged and dropped the file onto the screen, restarted Layout and it worked... Hope you get this fixed.

Waves of light
02-03-2013, 03:05 AM
I don't know if it will help, but I once had to run Hub.exe Modeler.exe and Layout.exe using the RMB routine 'run as Administrator', even though I had full administrative rights.

BeeVee
02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
The Windows firewall needs to be enabled for the software license to work. More, than that, the installer writes rules for it when installing.

B

m.d.
02-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Had the same issues yesterday and gave up....
Today it magically found the license key....

Moral is reboots can sometimes fix a lot of issues...maybe not every time

omichon
02-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Had the same issues yesterday and gave up....
Today it magically found the license key....

Moral is reboots can sometimes fix a lot of issues...maybe not every time

I can confirm this since I have experienced the same situation, and all was fine after a reboot.

Chrusion
02-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Does the 11.5 installer do some new behind the scenes stuff now that it never did in the past?

I needed to do a quick and dirty "install" today on a IT managed station due to IT not allowing software install without admin password (he left for the day, but would have allowed it), so I just copied my LW11.5 install folder with configs folder, 3rd party plugs folder, and the .NewTek folder in my Win7 profile to a USB drive at home, then copied them all over to another workstation, just like I've always done with LW 10 and earlier. But, even though the client had admin privs to put the .NewTek folder with my license.lwk into his Win7 user profile folder, LW launched in discovery mode. So I dragged the LWK file to the splash screen. It said license was successfully added, but still got DM on launch.

One thing I didn't check due to the hurried nature of the meeting was Windows Firewall, but it did not pop up any requester saying allow/deny access, so I assumed it wasn't the problem. So, I just lived with discovery mode and did client color tweaks with VPR running and took paper notes as to the changes since I knew I couldn't save the modified objects or scene.

oliverhotz
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
The Windows firewall needs to be enabled for the software license to work. More, than that, the installer writes rules for it when installing.

B

Thats not true... The software license works fine as long as the install seems to be on a local drive and hasn't been moved/copied. Even with the Firewall disabled.

oliverhotz
02-08-2013, 02:47 PM

B

Thats not true... The software license works fine as long as the install seems to be on a local drive and hasn't been moved/copied. Even with the Firewall disabled.

Chrusion
02-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Hmmm... Interesting... I renamed the install folder (in root of D: ) on my workstation and LW fires up in discovery mode! I thoroughly looked thru the registry and edited the only two keys for install location to the new folder name, no go. All the rest of the keys scattered all over the place were for lwo and lws file associations, blah, blah, blah.

Soooo, How the heck does LW know the folder was renamed? What sort of file did it create during install (and where) to store the folder name to which it appears to be comparing against? Tricky, tricky, NT.

And then, let me get this straight... I can install LW 11.5 on a multitude of machines, disconnect them from my LAN before launching since my main workstation LW is running (or others on other machines), drag-drop install the license, fire up the new LW install on any one of them or all of them, reconnect them to the network, and work without any problems, but I CANNOT simply copy the install folder to another machine like before? Ugh, ugh, ugh.

prometheus
02-10-2013, 01:37 PM
the last installations from when they skipped dongle, has been working without any issues at all..and actually much better.

using a portable computer, no hardware dongle, and from LW.11 and up, I just install on c:/program/newtek/Lightwave11.5
drag and dropping the license key downloaded from my account on to the installation requester upon start up, closing
and starting..no problems

using avast antivirus, and standard windows firewall.
win7 64 bit.

Michael

oliverhotz
02-10-2013, 05:25 PM
the last installations from when they skipped dongle, has been working without any issues at all..and actually much better.

using a portable computer, no hardware dongle, and from LW.11 and up, I just install on c:/program/newtek/Lightwave11.5
drag and dropping the license key downloaded from my account on to the installation requester upon start up, closing
and starting..no problems

using avast antivirus, and standard windows firewall.
win7 64 bit.

Michael

nobody is debating that. The problem arises if you now move the installation somewhere else, or install to a network drive. Then the license key no longer works.

Chrusion
02-11-2013, 07:20 AM
The problem arises if you now move the installation somewhere else, or install to a network drive. Then the license key no longer works.
EXACTLY!

I installed to the local drive, but I MUST also run it from the same install location, BUT via a MAPPED drive (Z:) in order to insure paths in the configs and scene reference the drive for network rendering! LW 11.5 WILL NOT run licensed from the mapped drive!

Soooo, HOW do you make it run licensed in this situation? Is as simple as running the local installation but redirect configs via shortcut -c param and content dir to the mapped drive?

omichon
02-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Soooo, HOW do you make it run licensed in this situation? Is as simple as running the local installation but redirect configs via shortcut -c param and content dir to the mapped drive?

I had some issues with the installation too, but all is running fine now.
First, I installed LW 11.5 in the (almost) default path (C:\Program Files\LightWave11.5), then I shared the LW11.5 folder (mapped to T: in my case) and I run it from a shortcut with theses parameters : T:\bin\Layout.exe -i -0 -cT:\configs.
The license.lwk file is located in folder C:\Users\$username\.NewTek\LightWave\11.5\licenses
I finally had to reboot to have it working as expected.
Hope it may help.

Edit : doh ! for some reason my shortcuts turns back to "C:\Program Files\LightWave11.5" instead of "T:\". I tried to fix it but I am running in Discovery mode again :(
So I am stuck with the dongle for now.

Chrusion
02-11-2013, 01:08 PM
What is the -i param?

So far, running LW from the install location and redirecting configs and content dir to the mapped drive is working just fine. Screamernet via Qube with scene assets and render folders on the mapped drive will probably be just fine, too. Just have to make sure all paths in configs and scenes are using the mapped drive.

Lewis
02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
What is the -i param?

-i = isolate mode. That was introduced in LW HC (Hercules) / LW CORE period 'coz even if you had HUB off you couls still sync between LW and CORE , so "-i" kills HUB and breaks all links.

omichon
02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
So far, running LW from the install location and redirecting configs and content dir to the mapped drive is working just fine. Screamernet via Qube with scene assets and render folders on the mapped drive will probably be just fine, too. Just have to make sure all paths in configs and scenes are using the mapped drive.
Well, some extra steps are required to have everything setup correctly for network rendering since running LW from the local location will make all the plugins to have local paths too by default.

Thanks Lewis, I wouldn't have explained -i parameter better ;)

Mr Rid
02-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Btw, I am still emailing with support each day. Still havent gotten my local license to work. I really do hate computers.

Mr Rid
02-17-2013, 02:37 PM
So, after a Team Viewer session, support finally found some wrong number in my license file. This is why I will never trust digital anything. One digit in the wrong place and ... its probably what happened to the dinosaurs.

omichon
02-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks for your feedback Mr Rid.
I wonder if it could be the same issue since I am still unable to get rid of the damn dongle.

Mr Rid
02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
In comparing the non-working LWK and the working LWK in Wordpad, it looks like the non-working LWK was referencing the wrong lock ID. Support added the correct ID, and now it works both with or without the dongle.

Fadlabi
03-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your feedback Mr Rid.
I wonder if it could be the same issue since I am still unable to get rid of the damn dongle.
Same issue, i hope newtek Tech Team solve this issue regarding 11.5 license key and until that time i will still tied to dongle.

probiner
03-26-2013, 03:06 PM
One digit in the wrong place and ... its probably what happened to the dinosaurs.

Lol you got me there. Glad it got sorted. Now back to doing cool stuff :)

Matt
03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Something else for anyone else having problems (on Windows) make sure you "install as admin" (right click on the installer) EVEN if you have Administrator rights, I had the UAC stuff mess with my install once, even though I had it set to "off".

fmahalem
03-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Anyone having Avast detecting Hub.exe as a malware?

It is detecting it as "FileRepMalware"

Anyone?

Mr Rid
03-29-2013, 03:18 AM
No, but I sure would like to know how to turn Avast completely OFF at times. Apparently there is no way to do so without uninstalling. The "disable permanently" option in Shields controls does not work.

short223
03-29-2013, 07:29 AM
No, but I sure would like to know how to turn Avast completely OFF at times. Apparently there is no way to do so without uninstalling. The "disable permanently" option in Shields controls does not work.
I'm running into the same issue with AVG free. The "disable temporarily" controls doesn't want to disable it.....

BeeVee
03-29-2013, 08:59 AM
For me I added Hub to Avast's exclusions and I run it before running Layout or Modeler. Seems to work for now, but I'm sure they'll take it off their watch list soon.

B

fmahalem
03-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Yea, the disable temporaly works for me, I have avast pro.

I've sent hub.exe for them to analise saying is not malware and stuff

Thanks for the replies!