PDA

View Full Version : installing LW content

hhnguyen
02-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Hello

I'm new to LW and not sure how to install or what to do with the LW content files. Greatly appreciate any advices

Regards
hhnguyen

nickdigital
02-01-2013, 10:45 PM
You need to set your Content directory to the folder of the demo material you want to look at. To do that hit the "o" key to bring up the Options panel. Then click on the Content directory button and point to the folder you want. The folder will have the folders Images, Objects and Scenes in it.

hhnguyen
02-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Done

Thanks Nickdigital

jeric_synergy
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
To do that hit the "o" key to bring up the Options panel.
BTW, I always reassign "o" to "OBJECT MODE" because SHIFT+O is just stupid. SHIFT+O becomes my Option Panel key-- I switch modes 'wayyyyyy more often than I need the Options Panel.

Same with all the mode hotkeys: using a shift key is very very un-ergonomic.

You can keep the old hotkey, because functions can have redundant hotkeys. But you should change the hotkeys to fit you best.

BeeVee
02-03-2013, 04:34 PM
BTW. For a long while you haven't had to make LightWave's content directory right before loading a scene. LightWave will ask if you you want to change content directory if you are not currently on the right one. Sorry if that's confusing to you hhnguyen, it's meant as a comment for the two old hands on this thread more than you :)

B

TIMMYLYNN
02-04-2013, 08:20 PM
i don't see any good answers here. it took forever to download and it's a zip file full of folders. so i think a good answer would be where do we extract the files in the zip folder too or am i confused. didn't that guy say he's new to lw??? your answers are like your talking to someone like me who's been here for 10 years and guess what...i have searched and this is the only place i found anyone even asking? no i haven't read the addendum. i read the read.me that is in the zip file and unless i read it too fast i don't see any instructions on where to extract the files. guess i need to polish my crystal ball...

anyway if this is wrong someone please correct me but i went to where i installed lightwave 11.5, the 11.5 folder and opened it and it has some folders one named bin and the uninstaller ect...anyway i created a new folder inside the lw 11.5 folder and called it 11.5 content and extracted all the folders there. i haven't tried it yet but hopefully it will work fine...sorry that is wrong

you don't have to make a new folder just extract the zip file into the lightwave11.5 folder and it creates a new folder that is called lw11.5content or such and all the folders of the content reside here. thanks newtek...

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Short answer: anywhere convenient. The newer Layout will find the objects once the scene is loaded, as BeeVee explained.

No special location required.

nickdigital
02-04-2013, 10:47 PM
As jeric_synergy said...you can extract the content anywhere. The demo material is organized where each root folder that contains an Images, Objects, Scenes folders is its own Content directory. LightWave works based on organizing material this way so material is easily portable. So if you were working on a project with the Content directory path C:\MyAnimation and moved it to your D:\ drive and updated the Content path accordingly, LightWave would still load up the assets without any problems. The assets are loaded up relative to the Content folder. So that's why it doesn't matter where you extract the material too.

Also as BeeVee said, LightWave will auto change the Content directory if you're working in one you didn't set in the Options panel.

Danner
02-05-2013, 02:09 AM
i don't see any good answers here. it took forever to download and it's a zip file full of folders. so i think a good answer would be where do we extract the files in the zip folder too or am i confused. didn't that guy say he's new to lw??? your answers are like your talking to someone like me who's been here for 10 years and guess what...i have searched and this is the only place i found anyone even asking? no i haven't read the addendum. i read the read.me that is in the zip file and unless i read it too fast i don't see any instructions on where to extract the files. guess i need to polish my crystal ball...

anyway if this is wrong someone please correct me but i went to where i installed lightwave 11.5, the 11.5 folder and opened it and it has some folders one named bin and the uninstaller ect...anyway i created a new folder inside the lw 11.5 folder and called it 11.5 content and extracted all the folders there. i haven't tried it yet but hopefully it will work fine...sorry that is wrong

you don't have to make a new folder just extract the zip file into the lightwave11.5 folder and it creates a new folder that is called lw11.5content or such and all the folders of the content reside here. thanks newtek...

I don't see any good attitude here, the original poster found the answer helpful and thanked the kind people who helped him. Nobody is getting paid here to answer the noobie questions, but we do it because we like to contribute and give someting back to the comunity that has helped us. So before you post something this mean take a chill pill and ask nicely please.