PDA

View Full Version : Replace Poly with Point ??

dwburman
11-04-2003, 09:25 PM
I'm working on a project that I'll probably use HD_Instance to place 15,000 seats in an arena. I'll need to have a bunch of points to tell the plugin where to place the instances. I wish to use (2D) boxes the size of the seats so I can be accurate in my placement. Does anyone know of a plugin / lscript that can place a point in the center of every poly in a layer?

I looked on flay and didn't see anything that looked like it'd work. This seems like the kind of thing Lscript was made for, but I haven't learned it yet and I don't think I have time right now.

Thanks.
Dana

Mylenium
11-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Even without LScript that should be simple enough.

a) Assign a surface/ wireframe color/ part selection to the poly on your cube. For your chairs this would be the bottom poly most likely. This step is only needed for re-selecting your polys later.

b) Go ahead, clone and place your cubes.

c) Select the polys from a).

d) Use the bevel tool and inset everything until all 4 points meet in the center of your poly.

e) Cut and paste your polys to a new layer.

f) Merge points.

g) Run PointsToPolys

Done!

Mylenium

BeeVee
11-05-2003, 01:58 AM
If you look in the Construct > Measure menu, you have FindCenter. That places a point at the centre of every polygon. You can then select every point that belongs to 0 polygons in the statistics window and copy them to a separate layer.

B

Chad_Shadow
11-05-2003, 01:31 PM
I am totally interested in the issue of "Replacing points by an object" ....

Most of the projects i am doing are urban design ones where Street Lights / Signes / Trees are very specifically sent with their specific places ...

Can you help me more about this subject ?

If i place on one layer all of the Street Lights' center points in Modeler, what should be done later on to have street lights (orientation ?) in Lightwave layout ? Note: i am using Lightwave 7.5 Pc version.

Thanks in advance for any help ;)

Chad

dwburman
11-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys, you helped me figure out a way to do this.

BeeVee:
The find center thing won't work because I'd have to select each poly individually. I think that'd be a good basis for an LScript though.

Mylenium:
Your idea works, but there's even a simpler way. I may not have been clear enough on what I'm trying to do, but you've showed me how to do it.

a) I'll make the placement cards out of boxes that have 2 segments on the X and the Y.

b) I'll clone them to where I need to be and select all the points used in 4 polys

c) copy and paste points to new layer

Thanks again.

Chad_Shadow:
Look into "Point Clone Plus" and some 3rd party replacements for it. I don't think it can do specific roatations for some point and different, specific rotation for others. :/ I intend to use HD_Instance which is available from http://www.Happy-Digital.com but it also doesn't handle rotation automatically. HD_Instance is for use with a ton of objects that'd be too much for the computer's memory.

BeeVee
11-06-2003, 01:54 AM
Good point... Next time you make a stadium you'll just have to do it before you start cloning seats! :)

B

Chad_Shadow
11-06-2003, 04:53 AM
thanks dwburman .... I'll chk this out and keep all the guys updated ;)

Rotation will be a problem so i'll try to chk any available software or plug-in

Good Luck in your project, it will be great to have a look at it once finished ...
:D