PDA

View Full Version : Object disappears when rendered

Tony3d
02-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi, I have an object that's inside a copper tube, when I use transparency on the copper tube the object inside does not render. What's up with that? If I remove the the object renders fine.

BeeVee
02-01-2013, 05:25 PM
LightWave has a reality detection filter and knows that there's no such thing as "transparent copper". :) Give us more info (like the word in-between the two "thes").

B

Tony3d
02-01-2013, 05:40 PM
LightWave has a reality detection filter and knows that there's no such thing as "transparent copper". :) Give us more info (like the word in-between the two "thes").

B

I can't show it because I'm under a confidentiality agreement. Basically it's a small speaker driver in a cylindrical copper enclosure. Non of the driver will render even if I put 100 % transparency on the tube outside the tube it renders great. I have never had anything like this happen. What could possibly cause this?

stevecullum
02-01-2013, 05:45 PM
I can't show it because I'm under a confidentiality agreement. Basically it's a small speaker driver in a cylindrical copper enclosure. Non of the driver will render even if I put 100 % transparency on the tube outside the tube it renders great. I have never had anything like this happen. What could possibly cause this?

Did you check the ray recursion settings? You might need to increase them.

Can the problem be recreated in a simple setup - just a tube and object for example?

Tony3d
02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Did you check the ray recursion settings? You might need to increase them.

Can the problem be recreated in a simple setup - just a tube and object for example?

I'll have to let you know tomorrow, shut down for the day.

Tony3d
02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
When I use transparency in the surface panel, it won't reveal what's in the tube, but if I use object dissolve in works fine.

stevecullum
02-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Dissolve isn't true transparency, but if it works for your situation then great. The best thing to do if you can't post an example scene, is to recreate the effect using a much simpler setup. Would be happy to take a look...

Wittywop
02-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Not sure if you have or not but did you turn on raytrace Transparency in Render globals ?

Is the inside of the tube and the out side of the tube different surfaces? maybe you have transparency on one but not the other

Tony3d
02-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Not sure if you have or not but did you turn on raytrace Transparency in Render globals ?

Is the inside of the tube and the out side of the tube different surfaces? maybe you have transparency on one but not the other
Ray trace is on, and it's all the same surface. Really weird. Never had this happen before.