PDA

View Full Version : Shiny Metal

Gazlw
02-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Hi,

I am trying to make some shiny metal font, I have applied some preset metal textures such as Silver Raytrace and Chrome and put the Reflection up, and have put in a variety of reflection maps in the environment tab, but although
it looks great in modeller with the GL reflection shaders it doesn't look that shiny or reflective in layout. Even when I put textured object right in front of the font to hopefully get some nice reflections going it still looks quite matt.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

BeeVee
02-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Those presets are very old. Try this:

Use Imageworld with an HDR image, and set your text's surface to use a Conductor node attached to the Material input in the Node Editor. Set its specularity high and add a little roughness. Use VPR to track how it looks as you adjust.

B

Gazlw
02-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks for that approach, I have never really used the Nodes before, but the effect is great it's definitely a area I need to learn more about.
LW 11 is really cool a great improvement over version 9 in so many ways, though only problem is the font size really need to be able to be made bigger, not a lot just slightly, this can make an enourmous difference to functionality. If Photoshop can do it I'am sure Lightwave can as well.

- - - Updated - - -