PDA

View Full Version : AE - LW Camera Tracking 11.5

Dillon
02-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Very excited to start using AE camera tracking to import into LW. But getting terrible slipping inside LW.

The camera track is rock solid (please see AE screen capture - text is planted firmly on the couch).

But bringing in the null (parented to the text) and camera into LW, there's slipping all over. I created a ground plane and parented it to the same null object generated from AE.

I attached camera settings from both AE and LW, but can't figure out the cause of the slippage.

Anyone know how to make this a rock solid connection?

Thanks in advance.

PS: that's my dog Amordios.

ivanze
02-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Nice dog, looks evil. :)

50one
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Hmmm, I'm too having a problem matching the AE Camera with 3d space, tracking looks good in AE, created a 3D text, and since I was tracking a table in a living room, it was fairly easy and clean track, however the camera movement in LW are not looking properly, besides it's quite annoying that AE pixel scale...

Dillon
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks for your response, 50one. I wonder if its a time code issue (drop frame v. non drop?) or pixel dimension? Supposedly the AE/LW connection is supposed to be pixel perfect. But that is clearly not the case.

Hope someone can help us resolve this. I'm working on another project so I can't dedicate myself to solving it, but I am determined to find a perfect workflow. There is just too much power between AE and LW between camera tracking and 3D space / VFX.

sadkkf
02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
So I understand, you tracked this footage in AE then sent the motion data to LW, correct?

I don't have LW in front of me to check, but does it matter if your camera settings are different?

Dillon
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Yes.

Tracked in AE, and then exported camera and null to LW. The camera is created in LW by the camera settings in AE (matches dimension, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc).

And of course it would matter if the camera settings are different, but from all appearances, the camera settings are the same.

Hmm. You just made me think of something. I wonder if changing the camera type inside LW might affect it. Since there are different kinds of cameras ....

So I understand, you tracked this footage in AE then sent the motion data to LW, correct?

I don't have LW in front of me to check, but does it matter if your camera settings are different?

UnCommonGrafx
02-01-2013, 03:14 PM
To me, it looks like the keyframes don't have the same kind of 'incoming curve' settings, or they do and the math is different.

In LW, make the tension in the curve 1 and what does that look like?

Lots more to learn...

Dillon
02-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Hmm, there's a thought.

The way AE exports the camera data is to have a keyframe at every frame.

Changed the tension on every keyframe to 1. no difference.

Went and took a look at the keyframe interpolation in AE - temporal is linear, spatial is auto bezier. So I changed the keyframe interpolation in the graph editor in LW to linear. That changes the slipperiness a little bit, but no improvement. Still slippery like a sliding around on a smeared banana slug on recently waxed ice.

Thanks for the suggestion!

To me, it looks like the keyframes don't have the same kind of 'incoming curve' settings, or they do and the math is different.

In LW, make the tension in the curve 1 and what does that look like?

Lots more to learn...

BeeVee
02-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Are both set to the same frame rate as well?

B

Dillon
02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
29.97. Set under General Options / preferences. Frame rate is 29.97. Same as in AE.

Also, I can't find where to toggle drop/non drop time code in layout either.

I feel like a rookie again!

Markc
02-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Are both LightWave and AE set to same start frame, i.e both 0 to whatever or 1 to whatever?

Darth Mole
02-01-2013, 05:27 PM
What he said. Every time I get slippage with a camera track it's because my track starts on frame 1 and LW starts on frame 0 (or vice versa). Not tried the AE connection yet, but that could be a possible culprit.

Dillon
02-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Hmmm, now that you mention it, I recall this being a problem before. I'll play around with these settings more (Just spent the last 5 minutes, but still finding slipping).

And yes, AE timeline starts at 0, and LW starts at default 1. Changed LW to start at 0, still go slipping. Then changed the movie start in image editor to start at 1. Still slipping.

Thanks for the input!

Dillon
02-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Hmm, on inspecting the scene elements (null placements), it seems the scale of the scene in LW is entirely off from the scale generated by AE. I don't see a place to set scene scale in the AE camera tracker.

Drrrr.

KevinL
02-01-2013, 06:40 PM
it seems the scale of the scene in LW is entirely off from the scale generated by AE. I don't see a place to set scene scale in the AE camera tracker.

I believe it may use "pixel" units.

i.e. 100 pixels= 100 LW units (whatever those are that you decide, mm, ft, M....) etc ????

KevinL

sadkkf
02-02-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm confused and amazed to read people have this working. Very little happens for me.

Following the few directions in the help, I hit the SEND TO AE button in LW, AE opens and closes immediately. If I have AE open already nothing happens. If I select my camera in AE and export that to LW, nothing happens.

I do have my camera object selected in LW before I try to send. I've updated the path to layout.exe in AE. I've copied the plugin from LW to AE folder. I've checked the box in AE for external scripts. I've saved the scene in LW.

I'm using AE CS6 on Win 7 x64. Anyone experiencing the same?

From the manual:
In Layout the AE link is on the I/O tab in Layout where there are two buttons. .. says the Department of Redundancy Department. :)

OnlineRender
02-02-2013, 10:12 AM
are you doing a 3D track or standard 2D track via AE ? otherwise you will always get slippage there is not enough track data to give solid calculations its not a didicated app regarding tracking it essentially fakes it ...even in the the feature video you can see the logo giving some movement however you can trick it goto videocopliot and view the demon face that gives solid results

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused and amazed to read people have this working. Very little happens for me.

Following the few directions in the help, I hit the SEND TO AE button in LW, AE opens and closes immediately. If I have AE open already nothing happens. If I select my camera in AE and export that to LW, nothing happens.

I do have my camera object selected in LW before I try to send. I've updated the path to layout.exe in AE. I've copied the plugin from LW to AE folder. I've checked the box in AE for external scripts. I've saved the scene in LW.

From the manual: .. says the Department of Redundancy Department. :)

I followed the pdf and everything works perfect! but I have noticed a small few users having an issue sending and receiving however cannot work it out , UAC ? firewall ? maybe LW3D will have a fix soon

sadkkf
02-02-2013, 10:13 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:No firewall or anything. One PC runs both apps.

Any word on 11.5.1?

OnlineRender
02-02-2013, 10:34 AM
it seems the scale of the scene in LW is entirely off from the scale generated by AE. I don't see a place to set scene scale in the AE camera tracker.

I believe it may use "pixel" units.

i.e. 100 pixels= 100 LW units (whatever those are that you decide, mm, ft, M....) etc ????

KevinL

when you add a new camera to the scene in AE it will give you what the scale is in ... mm , pixels or inches is the options, it that is what you mean?

btw sometimes I need to reset the path to Layout ...

Dillon
02-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Well after extensive testing and tweaking, I can only assume that LW doesn't quite read the scene scale that AE is "faking" from its camera tracker. Which is sad; I was really looking forward to using AE's camera tracker.

With the shot I posted at the beginning of this thread (it's a hand held dolly shot), I am able to place text and nulls and adjustment layers to my hearts content with absolute lock (no slipping). Unable to get the scene to stop sliding around in LW.

Looks like I might need to buy Syntheyes after all. *sigh*

Thanks for all your input to the thread guys. Much appreciated!

Dillon

Hieron
02-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Well after extensive testing and tweaking, I can only assume that LW doesn't quite read the scene scale that AE is "faking" from its camera tracker. Which is sad; I was really looking forward to using AE's camera tracker.

With the shot I posted at the beginning of this thread (it's a hand held dolly shot), I am able to place text and nulls and adjustment layers to my hearts content with absolute lock (no slipping). Unable to get the scene to stop sliding around in LW.

Looks like I might need to buy Syntheyes after all. *sigh*

Thanks for all your input to the thread guys. Much appreciated!

Dillon

That would be odd, since the ae tracker generates coordinates in AE just like all other 3d components in AE which should translate fine..

Do you have a AE project to go with the mov file that has tracked nulls/text you can share?

Dillon
02-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Sure; here's the .zip with AE, LW and .mov files. On inspecting the perspective views both in AE and in LW, it seems the camera relationship to the 3 nulls does indeed match. Though I don't agree with the axis alignment of the 'scene' in relationship to the camera. Too bad the AE tracker can't designate scene orientation and scale. As others commented, AE's tracker isn't a pro solution, and I should not have expected it to be one.

Hope you have better luck than me!

That would be odd, since the ae tracker generates coordinates in AE just like all other 3d components in AE which should translate fine..

Do you have a AE project to go with the mov file that has tracked nulls/text you can share?

jboudreau
02-02-2013, 01:38 PM

From the manual: .. says the Department of Redundancy Department. :)

Hi Just wondering if you hit the settings button in light wave which path for ae is it set to? It works here no problem with ae cs5.5 on windows 7 64 bit. It should open ae if it's not all ready open. Have you tried ae cs5.5 to see if that is the problem?

Did you copy the plugin in the plugins folder of ae? Because you said the ae folder. If so you should see export data to lightwave under the export tab if the plugin to is installed right

Jason

OnlineRender
02-02-2013, 01:58 PM
there is a tip for doing 3d tracks in AE mask an area off and tell the tracker to track that way it

jboudreau
02-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Sure; here's the .zip with AE, LW and .mov files. On inspecting the perspective views both in AE and in LW, it seems the camera relationship to the 3 nulls does indeed match. Though I don't agree with the axis alignment of the 'scene' in relationship to the camera. Too bad the AE tracker can't designate scene orientation and scale. As others commented, AE's tracker isn't a pro solution, and I should not have expected it to be one.

Hope you have better luck than me!

Hey Dillon

I downloaded your archive.zip file and did some tests regarding the Send to AE

I managed to get a solid track and the export out of AE to ligtwave was great. No slipping or sliding

Here is what I did

1. I tracked the footage in Syntheyes not AE CS6 since I don't have it yet
2. I set up the coordinates system so it matched the same orientation as the shot. ( I noticed your coordinates system (Grid) was not matching the video. Did you set up your coordinates system in your tracking software
3. I exported the tracking data out of Syntheyes directly into AE using the export to .ma scene
4. I imported the .ma file into AE, this gave me a AE camera and all sorts of nulls
5. I selected the camera in AE and used the export to lightwave script.

The camera came into Lightwave with no problems. The Grid matched the orientation of the shot and everything stayed as rock solid as you can expect trying to track from a compressed quicktime video.

Some of the things I noticed from your video that could of caused the probelem are

- Not sure but maybe AE CS6 tracking is causing the problem, sorry don't have AECS6 yet to test
- Try putting in the coordinates system so it matches your video (Grid runs along the floor)
- I noticed you had tracking marks on the dogs ears which move around. When I tracked the footage I deleted those tracking marks so I could get as clean a track as possible.

Here is my lightwave, syntheyes scenes also the exported .ma file

let me know how you make out
Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

Blinkie
02-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Hi Just wondering if you hit the settings button in light wave which path for ae is it set to? It works here no problem with ae cs5.5 on windows 7 64 bit. It should open ae if it's not all ready open. Have you tried ae cs5.5 to see if that is the problem?

Did you copy the plugin in the plugins folder of ae? Because you said the ae folder. If so you should see export data to lightwave under the export tab if the plugin to is installed right

Jason

I'm having same problems...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133263-After-Effects-Interchange-only-partially-working

KevinL
02-02-2013, 06:12 PM
"I noticed you had tracking marks on the dogs ears" jboudreau

As per this, I also use both syntheyes and AE, as well as Mocha Pro for tracking. Tracking is not a button(s) it's a technique. The business of tracking the dog ears tells me that you should probably brush up on the principles behind tracking.

I don't say this to insult, I say it because I used to get all sorts of trashy tracking results in all the programs. After doing some books, websites and tutorials I get much better results. The principles are really important to getting good to great results.

Resources: Russ Andersson (Author of Syntheyes) has some excellent tutorials, you tube, CMIfx, "Matchmoving The invisible art of tracking" by Tim Dobbert. etc....

Garbage In, Garbage Out

Hope this helps :)

Kevin L

sadkkf
02-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Jason

This is the path my AE: C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe After Effects CS6/Support Files/AfterFX.exe

It was already set when I checked and I verified it's correct.

I did copy the file to the /plugins folder. Is that where it needs to be? It's not in a subfolder, just the root of plugins.

Digital Hermit
02-02-2013, 09:50 PM
This is the path my AE: C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe After Effects CS6/Support Files/AfterFX.exe

It was already set when I checked and I verified it's correct.

I did copy the file to the /plugins folder. Is that where it needs to be? It's not in a subfolder, just the root of plugins.

Have the same problem you do sadkkf...

Also, I tried exporting the camera from AE to LW and got a script error "no valid path specified."

So, do I have to create/save, whatever, a LW scene for it to become bidirectional? Has anyone had success exporting from AE to LW first?

OnlineRender
02-03-2013, 04:19 AM
Have the same problem you do sadkkf...

Also, I tried exporting the camera from AE to LW and got a script error "no valid path specified."

So, do I have to create/save, whatever, a LW scene for it to become bidirectional? Has anyone had success exporting from AE to LW first?

works pURFECt for me , did you reset the Lightwave path in AE , edit>preferences ... down the button

sadkkf
02-03-2013, 08:18 AM
works pURFECt for me , did you reset the Lightwave path in AE , edit>preferences ... down the button

I have. Double-checked the path to my AE and reset the path to layout.exe. Followed the very few instructions perfectly and nothing works. Sometimes, though, I do get a looping error and have to force AE to close. That is fun.

raw-m
02-03-2013, 08:54 AM
I've had trouble exporting 3d data of tracked footage from AE in the past, it seems to be very footage dependant. In AE, if you're finding scale an issue just create a null, make it 3d, parent EVERYTHING to it (including camera) and scale/rotate/move that null accordingly.

Dillon
02-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Hey Jason,

Thanks for doing all that. A couple things in response to your input;

1. I don't have Synth Eyes. I'm hoping to get the solid stable track that is in AE into LW without Synth Eyes.
2. Yeah, I rebuilt the scene to compress (with smaller .mov file) and forgot to get rid of the markers on my dog before creating the 3D camera. I've worked with 3D trackers before (including Synth Eyes) and know that markers on moving objects make for bad tracks without a lot of user input.
3. AE camera tracker doesn't have any input for a user to define orientation or scale of the scene.

Thanks again!

Hey Dillon

I downloaded your archive.zip file and did some tests regarding the Send to AE

I managed to get a solid track and the export out of AE to ligtwave was great. No slipping or sliding

Here is what I did

1. I tracked the footage in Syntheyes not AE CS6 since I don't have it yet
2. I set up the coordinates system so it matched the same orientation as the shot. ( I noticed your coordinates system (Grid) was not matching the video. Did you set up your coordinates system in your tracking software
3. I exported the tracking data out of Syntheyes directly into AE using the export to .ma scene
4. I imported the .ma file into AE, this gave me a AE camera and all sorts of nulls
5. I selected the camera in AE and used the export to lightwave script.

The camera came into Lightwave with no problems. The Grid matched the orientation of the shot and everything stayed as rock solid as you can expect trying to track from a compressed quicktime video.

Some of the things I noticed from your video that could of caused the probelem are

- Not sure but maybe AE CS6 tracking is causing the problem, sorry don't have AECS6 yet to test
- Try putting in the coordinates system so it matches your video (Grid runs along the floor)
- I noticed you had tracking marks on the dogs ears which move around. When I tracked the footage I deleted those tracking marks so I could get as clean a track as possible.

Here is my lightwave, syntheyes scenes also the exported .ma file

let me know how you make out
Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

Dillon
02-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Hey, Kevin. Thanks for your input, too. See my response to jboudreau (I'm aware of the process, and forgot to remove the markers on my dog before sending the file).

Even with the markers removed from my dog and a 3D camera generated, the scenes don't match up between AE and LW.

Slip slip sliding away!

OnlineRender
02-03-2013, 10:10 AM
I got better results last night with your files the calculations points where bigger than the video you originally posted which means more accurate however there was still sliding

Dillon
02-03-2013, 10:30 AM
What do you mean "the calculations points where bigger than the video you originally posted"..? Did you track different footage? You resized the tracker markers to be much larger?

If there's sliding, still, it makes it unusable to make anything believable, though.

I got better results last night with your files the calculations points where bigger than the video you originally posted which means more accurate however there was still sliding

jboudreau
02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
I have. Double-checked the path to my AE and reset the path to layout.exe. Followed the very few instructions perfectly and nothing works. Sometimes, though, I do get a looping error and have to force AE to close. That is fun.

Hi Guys

I'm not sure why you are having such a problem getting the Send to AE working. I have it working in AE CS5.5 flawlessly so I thought I would install the AE CS6 Trial version to see if I could figure out the problem.

Here is what I did step by step:

Step 1.

- After I installed AE CS6 I copied the AEtoLW.aex into the AE CS6 support plugins folder "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\Plug-ins\"

Step 2.

-I opened up AE and clicked on the Edid/Preferences/Reset path to lightwave 3D

Step 3. (here is where I think the problem might be for some people)

- I choose, C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.5\bin\layote.exe (Make sure you click on the layout.exe file and click open if you don't you will get a constant looping script error)

Step 4.

- I opened up lightwave and clicked on IO/settings (under the Send to AE button)

Step 5.

- Changed the path to the following "C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe After Effects CS6/Support Files/AfterFX.exe"

Step 6.

- Just press the send to AE button and the camera data from lightwave should be send to AE where it creates a composition called default (Here you will find the camera)

Everything should hopefully work now

Just wanted to add that I am using AE CS6 version 11.0.0.378, I haven't done any updates yet maybe this could be where the problem exists.

Thanks,
Jason

OnlineRender
02-03-2013, 11:09 AM
What do you mean "the calculations points where bigger than the video you originally posted"..? Did you track different footage? You resized the tracker markers to be much larger?

If there's sliding, still, it makes it unusable to make anything believable, though.

The larger the markers the more accurate the calcualtion is "Not the scale" that is different... its not terrible consider its a crappy 4meg quicktime movie @ 640

http://youtu.be/CqHqyLbHFik I think a little smoothing is needed in the graph editor

Dillon
02-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Hmm I don't see any improvement in the slipperyness with larger markers. That is pretty terrible sliding, just about as bad as the full rez (ProRes 422) file.

Thanks for your contribution, though! :)

The larger the markers the more accurate the calcualtion is "Not the scale" that is different... its not terrible consider its a crappy 4meg quicktime movie @ 640

http://youtu.be/CqHqyLbHFik I think a little smoothing is needed in the graph editor

jboudreau
02-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Hey Jason,

1. I don't have Synth Eyes. I'm hoping to get the solid stable track that is in AE into LW without Synth Eyes.
2. Yeah, I rebuilt the scene to compress (with smaller .mov file) and forgot to get rid of the markers on my dog before creating the 3D camera. I've worked with 3D trackers before (including Synth Eyes) and know that markers on moving objects make for bad tracks without a lot of user input.
3. AE camera tracker doesn't have any input for a user to define orientation or scale of the scene.

Thanks again!

Hi Dillon

I just installed AECS6 Trial and did a quick test with the Camera Tracker.

I managed to get pretty good results, Check out the lightwave scene below and let me know what you think.

It really sucks that you can't create a coordinates system in AECS6 :(

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
02-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey Jason,

Thanks again!

Hi Dillon

I took and opened up your AE file and exported out the camera from your track.

Here is the lightwave scene, Not sure why your lightwave camera in your lightwave scene "AE 2 LW.lws" is bouncing all around because mine is not and it was exported from your AE file

Maybe you can compare the two scenes mine and yours so you can find where the problem is

Hope this helps
Thanks
Jason

Blinkie
02-03-2013, 01:08 PM

sadkkf

Seems we are having the same problem...

I managed to get it to work by manually running the script in AE.
Here's how...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133263-After-Effects-Interchange-only-partially-working

OnlineRender
02-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Dillon have you tried voodoo ? anyway just of interest what is your average error *in pixels with the AE 3D track ?

jeric_synergy
02-03-2013, 01:46 PM
??? Do you mean "..absolute lock" in AE? Confused here.

Dillon
02-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi Jason,

Thanks for both v1.6 and 1.7 files. Each of them have the same issue; slipping.

The 'bouncing' I think you're referring to, ?, is this is a handheld shot. Attached is a test render directly out of after effects with text and tracker markers left in. The 'bounce' is there as well. And the text bounces around with it.

As for 'smoothing' the curves, I'm not sure how that would work, as every frame is keyframed.

Hi Dillon

I took and opened up your AE file and exported out the camera from your track.

Here is the lightwave scene, Not sure why your lightwave camera in your lightwave scene "AE 2 LW.lws" is bouncing all around because mine is not and it was exported from your AE file

Maybe you can compare the two scenes mine and yours so you can find where the problem is

Hope this helps
Thanks
Jason

Digital Hermit
02-03-2013, 08:14 PM
jboudreau, I tried your method and got the same results, it maybe an update problem like you suggested (my update is 11.0.2.12)

Blinkie, I tried your way and it worked! After that I changed a (camera) setting in AE and exported back to LW and it updated as well.

Now on to see if I have slipping problems... heh.

Thanks!

Dillon
02-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Glad you got YOUR problem resolved! ;)

jboudreau, I tried your method and got the same results, it maybe an update problem like you suggested (my update is 11.0.2.12)

Blinkie, I tried your way and it worked! After that I changed a (camera) setting in AE and exported back to LW and it updated as well.

Thanks!

jeric_synergy
02-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Do we have some benchmark footage in the 11.5 content so everybody can work off the same 'page'?

Dillon
02-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Great question!

Seems every other feature of LW 11.5 has some sort of content, or video featuring how it works, except for the After Effects integration.

I'm kind of wondering how to utilize this feature, honestly.

Elements 1.5 (with obj sequence handling) seems to erase any need for 11.5 AE integration? Wish I knew how to leverage LW's AE integration. AE's camera tracker is a no go so far (which is what I was most excited about).

Do we have some benchmark footage in the 11.5 content so everybody can work off the same 'page'?

jboudreau
02-04-2013, 03:13 AM

Thanks!

Hi Dillon

Just wanted to let you know incase you were wondering. I updated the AE CS6 to version 11.0.2.12 and everything still works great when it comes to sending camera data from lightwave to AE and vice versa. So I guess the update isn't the problem either :(

Glad Blinkie came up with a solution for you and everyone else having this problem. :)

Thanks,
Jason

lardbros
02-04-2013, 06:05 AM
its not terrible consider its a crappy 4meg quicktime movie @ 640

Don't want to pi$$ on your chips at all (or be irritating in any shape or form... I swear), but the slippage is pretty bad in that example... even if the footage is bad quality.

Some of the Vicon guys we had training with even said that HD footage can make stuff harder to track, sometimes it's better using lower res video if you can't get a good track.

Haven't tried the AE link yet, but will give it a go tomorrow... good to see so many people clubbing together to get it all working though :D Love this place

OnlineRender
02-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Don't want to pi$$ on your chips at all

Slip on this :P
http://youtu.be/TRvOJ58cbo4

lardbros
02-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Slip on this :P
http://youtu.be/TRvOJ58cbo4

Hahaha... I owe you some chips! ;)

OnlineRender
02-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Hahaha... I owe you some chips! ;)

I would rather you cut my grass , that just the side :)

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Dillon, why don't you FIRST show us a 3d track IN AE, .... or is that what that example was? ('Cuz that example was bad.)

Then we can compare the LW slippage.

Dillon
02-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi Jeric,

I'm not sure why you think the AE render (with tracker markers included) was a bad example. Trackers are rock solid, as is the "TEXT" element. As compared to the same scene put into LW, there's tons of slippage. I uploaded examples of both.

I think the problem is there is no way to tell AE scene orientation and scale to give to LW, as I can do in Matchmover, Synth Eyes, Boujou, etc (I've worked with all of them).

My expectations were too high with AE's 3D camera tracking. The track is rock solid in app, but translating to other apps (especially with a hand held dolly shot, the most challenging) fails. Probably because there is no true translation of scene orientation / scale to the 3D app.

Dillon, why don't you FIRST show us a 3d track IN AE, .... or is that what that example was? ('Cuz that example was bad.)

Then we can compare the LW slippage.

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Hi Jeric,
I'm not sure why you think the AE render (with tracker markers included) was a bad example. Trackers are rock solid, as is the "TEXT" element. As compared to the same scene put into LW, there's tons of slippage. I uploaded examples of both.
Dillon, I must have confused which was which. ::VIEWS AGAIN:: OK, yes, you're absolutely right the AE is rocksolid.

The LW setup though confused me: did you lay down a groundplane to correspond to the floor in the shot?

I think the problem is there is no way to tell AE scene orientation and scale to give to LW, as I can do in Matchmover, Synth Eyes, Boujou, etc (I've worked with all of them).

My expectations were too high with AE's 3D camera tracking. The track is rock solid in app, but translating to other apps (especially with a hand held dolly shot, the most challenging) fails. Probably because there is no true translation of scene orientation / scale to the 3D app.
Well, if it works in AE, it works, so the tracking is fine, the translation is the issue. Before 11.5's release I used a freebie script to xfer between AE and LW, and it seemed to work dead on, certainly not with the slippage you're reporting. I did eyeball the initial placement of floors and walls (i.e. it's not automatic), but after that worked fine with an AE track. Here's the link:

http://www.aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=991

Considering the confusion on the forum on this particular feature, I hope NewTek prioritizes a step-by-step video to address everybody's questions.

jboudreau
02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi Jeric,

Hi Dillon

Been working a lot with the AE to LW camera data

Here is a 3D Track lightwave scene and Quicktime with absolutely no slipping what so ever. Also came up with a way of getting the coordinates and size to work from AE to LW

Let me know what you think

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi Guys

I made another test to make sure that the procedure I am using was not just a fluke regarding bringing in Camera Data from AE to LW and vice versa.

From the test below it definitely works. It brings in the right world size and it also creates the coordiantes system so the grid is in the right orientation to the footage. (Grid Sticks to the footage no slipping or sliding incase anyone is having this problem)

Please check out the attached scene and videos.

Thanks,
Jason

OnlineRender
02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi Guys

I made another test to make sure that the procedure

Thanks,
Jason

are you willing to share that procedure :P

OnlineRender
02-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I have found that left to right <> or up& down track fine in AE and goto LW easy , its when you start to pan it throws it in LW although sits ok in AE

jboudreau
02-04-2013, 04:23 PM
are you willing to share that procedure :P

Hi

Sure no problem. I can't gurantee it will work all the time but so far I used it 3 times and it gave great results as you saw from the files.

I'll post the steps soon, I just have a project that I have to finish up

Thanks,
Jason

GregMalick
02-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I have found that left to right <> or up& down track fine in AE and goto LW easy , its when you start to pan it throws it in LW although sits ok in AE

If you are right about this, a bug report needs to be issued to NewTek.

Digital Hermit
02-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Glad you got YOUR problem resolved! ;)

Well not really resolved. Still a pain to do the work around. Can't stand not knowing why it's working as it should for some and not working for me! :(

Blinkie
02-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Well not really resolved. Still a pain to do the work around. Can't stand not knowing why it's working as it should for some and not working for me! :(

Yes, I know how you feel.

Yesteday I could transfer nulls from AE to LW, now I can't.

No way to even check tracking yet.

Dillon
02-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Hey Jason,

Thanks for doing that. I have success at simpler shots on AE, too. I was hoping to do more complex moves like hand held camera dollies, (like the one where I'm walking towards my dog).

I'll try this again with simpler footage to see if I can get a better track. Perhaps I choked the software with a shot too complex for it to handle (to create an accurate 3D orientation and scale to export to LW).

Thanks again.

Hi Dillon

Been working a lot with the AE to LW camera data

Here is a 3D Track lightwave scene and Quicktime with absolutely no slipping what so ever. Also came up with a way of getting the coordinates and size to work from AE to LW

Let me know what you think

Thanks,
Jason

Dillon
02-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Double post

Dillon
02-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Hey Blinkie,

Make sure you have the null layer selected (or camera, if you're sending that) in AE before exporting to LW. I've done that error many times, even after knowing I'm supposed to do it.

Yes, I know how you feel.

Yesteday I could transfer nulls from AE to LW, now I can't.

No way to even check tracking yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats a nice solid track, Jason. The 2 included videos have a grid + nulls associated with the ground already though (I suspect they came out of LW?)

Thanks for sharing it. Nice to know that smooth dolly shots will work. Perhaps I tried a dolly shot that was too complicated.

Dillon

Hi Guys

I made another test to make sure that the procedure I am using was not just a fluke regarding bringing in Camera Data from AE to LW and vice versa.

From the test below it definitely works. It brings in the right world size and it also creates the coordiantes system so the grid is in the right orientation to the footage. (Grid Sticks to the footage no slipping or sliding incase anyone is having this problem)

Please check out the attached scene and videos.

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
02-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Hey Blinkie,

Make sure you have the null layer selected (or camera, if you're sending that) in AE before exporting to LW. I've done that error many times, even after knowing I'm supposed to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats a nice solid track, Jason. The 2 included videos have a grid + nulls associated with the ground already though (I suspect they came out of LW?)

Thanks for sharing it. Nice to know that smooth dolly shots will work. Perhaps I tried a dolly shot that was too complicated.

Dillon

Hi Dillon,

I'm not sure what you mean by the following "The 2 included videos have a grid + nulls associated with the ground already though (I suspect they came out of LW?)"

can you please explain

Thanks,
Jason

Dillon
02-04-2013, 06:56 PM
The videos you included in the .zip both contain nulls and a grid, not just the landscape flyover by itself. I assume you sent video files that were already passed through LW (with nulls and grid). 1 video has a box in it.

Hi Dillon,

I'm not sure what you mean by the following "The 2 included videos have a grid + nulls associated with the ground already though (I suspect they came out of LW?)"

can you please explain

Thanks,
Jason

Blinkie
02-04-2013, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=Dillon;1298497]Hey Blinkie,

Dillon,

Made sure the proper layer is selected.
The best I get is a new null in LW with no motion data.
If I rename the null in AE the new name shows in LW but, still no motion.

jboudreau
02-04-2013, 07:04 PM
The videos you included in the .zip both contain nulls and a grid, not just the landscape flyover by itself. I assume you sent video files that were already passed through LW (with nulls and grid). 1 video has a box in it.

Hi Dillon

I just made a lightwave preview and exported it out as a quicktime to show you that the grid in layout had all the coordinates set up and sizing and was locked to the background footage. I have the background footage exported out as sequential png files. It's around 450mb that's why it wasn't included with the lightwave scene sorry about that.

I took the footage sequence and tracked it in AE CS6 then I created around 20 or so nulls from the data. I then exported out the camera and nulls back into lightwave. Adjusted the camera for the right perspective and just added a ground layer with a box on top of it to show that their was no slipping. Their is more to the process that needs to be done but this is the just of it. I will post the whole process later if you are intersted.

Also do you have any shots regarding the complex track you are talking about. Something besides the scene with the dog. I would love to see if it works with the procedure I came up with.

Thanks,
Jason

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Good lord. Look guys, why don't you link over to:

http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/greenscreenplates.html

Agree on a download, and all start working off the same page?

jboudreau
02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Good lord. Look guys, why don't you link over to:

http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/greenscreenplates.html

Agree on a download, and all start working off the same page?

Hey Man

I'm just trying to help some people out. I haven't had any issues with AE tracking to lightwave. My 3 tests worked out great.

Thanks for the link to the website. Sorry if this was upsetting you

Thanks,
Jason

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Sorry if this was upsetting you
Thanks,
Jason
Jason, no upset here, it just seems like a bit of wheel spinning. And your attempt to help the other posters is appreciated.

(I love that website.)

jboudreau
02-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Jason, no upset here, it just seems like a bit of wheel spinning. And your attempt to help the other posters is appreciated.

(I love that website.)

No worries man, Yeah you're right it is. No problem always will to help in anyway I can.

I'm checking the site out now. I've been looking for a sitel like this. This is going to come in very handy

Thanks,
Jason

kcole
02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Getting a pretty solid track here, results equal to placing an object in AE directly. However, the LW scene has to be shifted one frame ahead in AE.

jeric_synergy
02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Getting a pretty solid track here, results equal to placing an object in AE directly. However, the LW scene has to be shifted one frame ahead in AE.
Good reminder.

EDIT: And, I suppose the other way going the other way? ....now, which is which???

Dillon
02-04-2013, 10:50 PM
You're animating the null in AE to export to LW, and the animation data is not showing up for the null?

I haven't done any of this other stuff. Maybe I should start learning how to integrate AE into my LW workflow. The only thing I've thought of so far is the camera tracker.

Although, with Element 3D able to read obj (and object sequences), I wonder what use an AE / LW connection is good for me?

I feel like a newbie. Even after teaching VFX at the Academy of Art 12 years ago.

[QUOTE=Dillon;1298497]Hey Blinkie,

Dillon,

Made sure the proper layer is selected.
The best I get is a new null in LW with no motion data.
If I rename the null in AE the new name shows in LW but, still no motion.

kcole
02-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Here's my test - mug rendered in LW and overlaid in AE. "Mug" text rendered directly in AE for comparison, with the same camera tracking.

After changing the starting frame to 0 in LW, no adjustment in AE was necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td8GojIf-us&feature=youtu.be

jwiede
02-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Here's my test - mug rendered in LW and overlaid in AE. "Mug" text rendered directly in AE for comparison, with the same camera tracking.
That match looks rock solid. If the AE:LW interchange is reliably capable of that kind of match, that's much more useful.

jeric_synergy
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
??? AE does poly rendering w/no plugins. Sheesh, time to head back to the home.....

Dillon
02-05-2013, 03:19 PM
He likely did it with Elements 3D.

??? AE does poly rendering w/no plugins. Sheesh, time to head back to the home.....

kcole
02-05-2013, 03:23 PM
He likely did it with Elements 3D.

Not sure if this is referencing my vid or another one. My vid didn't use any AE plugins. The "Mug" text is rendered entirely in AE native. If you're referring to another vid, please ignore. :)

Darth Mole
02-05-2013, 03:41 PM
After Effects CS6 can extrude and raytrace text and paths into 'solid' 3D objects. If you have a CUDA-enabled card it also happens to do it very quickly.

jeric_synergy
02-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Not sure if this is referencing my vid or another one. My vid didn't use any AE plugins. The "Mug" text is rendered entirely in AE native. If you're referring to another vid, please ignore. :)
kcole, I was referring to yours. Damn, I know I was behind on my AE chops, but cheeeez.

About the only thing wrong with that video is I believe that's a cup, not a mug. :boogiedow

kcole
02-05-2013, 03:49 PM
kcole, I was referring to yours. Damn, I know I was behind on my AE chops, but cheeeez.

About the only thing wrong with that video is I believe that's a cup, not a mug. :boogiedow

Now that I can't argue with. :D

OnlineRender
02-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Re Element 1.5 now accepts obj sequence ... I tested it with export a bullet sequence from layout and it worked perfect although the materials where not to happy "think it was the fracture and normals flipping"

Dillon
02-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Well now I'm becoming frustrated.

I've shot some other handheld / dolly shots and I simply can't get a stable track. Always a rock solid track in AE, but slipping like crazy in LW. Also, the ground plane in LW comes in at odd angles. Usually the camera is positioned below the ground plane. Since there's no way to indicate where the ground plane is in AE, I don't know how you're getting LW grid to line up with the ground (other than to parent everything in the scene to a null and rotate the null around to force a ground plane match with LW grid / scene orientation.

Attached AE and LW previews so y'all can make fun of me. :(

Grrr.

PS: Also attached a ridiculously simple one. Standing in place, hand held camera. THIS tracked just fine. But I wanna track dolly and trucking shots. Dangit.

kcole
02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Well now I'm becoming frustrated....Dangit.

Can you post the original footage from the SimpleTrack/LWTrack?

jeric_synergy
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
But I wanna track dolly and trucking shots.
Well, THERE'S your problem!

Sorry, man, couldn't resist. :beerchug:

Dillon
02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Well I give up. Dolly / trucking shots don't play well between AE and LW. Simple pans and tilts seem to be fine.

Downloaded the Trex backplate from this site: http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/trackingplates.html, got a solid track in AE, and major slipping again in LW.

Scene orientation / scale is critical and this information isn't given to LW to implement properly.

Going back to Maya Matchmover. (ew).

jeric_synergy
02-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I gotta think there's some critical step you're missing, since others seem to be able to make it work.

Dillon
02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
If you want to try the same shot that I did http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/trackingplates.html and track it, I'd like to see other people's results. I got major slipping on this one too.

Simple camera moves seem to work fine, but whenever I try to track a dolly or truck shot, AE is rock solid, whereas LW slips crazy.

Well I give up. Dolly / trucking shots don't play well between AE and LW. Simple pans and tilts seem to be fine.

Downloaded the Trex backplate from this site: http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/trackingplates.html, got a solid track in AE, and major slipping again in LW.

Scene orientation / scale is critical and this information isn't given to LW to implement properly.

Going back to Maya Matchmover. (ew).

Dot3
02-06-2013, 02:44 PM
We interrupt this program to bring you a special bulletin:

If you were having an issue where AE was opening and closing and you had to manually load the file to export from LW to AE check your username if it contains a space that may well be your problem, try creating a user account in Win 7 without spaces it may work there it did for me.

and now back to our regularly scheduled program Thank you :D

Dot3
02-06-2013, 02:45 PM

If you were having an issue where AE was opening and closing and you had to manually load the file to export from LW to AE check your username if it contains a space that may well be your problem, try creating a user account in Win 7 without spaces it may work there it did for me.

kcole
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Here's what I got with that footage. Shadow isn't perfect, but I think that has more to do with it's projection on a plane in LW vs falling on the grasses, rather than an error in the track. Is this different from what you're seeing in the track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkaWeQlqnw&feature=youtu.be

Dillon
02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Your tree slips just as bad as the generic objects I'm dropping in the same scene. Most noticable as the tree starts to exit the frame.

Here's what I got with that footage. Shadow isn't perfect, but I think that has more to do with it's projection on a plane in LW vs falling on the grasses, rather than an error in the track. Is this different from what you're seeing in the track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkaWeQlqnw&feature=youtu.be

jeric_synergy
02-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Why not do one of those "absolutely locked" AE tracks and overlay a LW translation over it so we can quantify exactly what the difference is you're seeing?

kcole
02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Your tree slips just as bad as the generic objects I'm dropping in the same scene. Most noticable as the tree starts to exit the frame.

OK, if that's the amount of slipping you're seeing then I don't think it has anything to do with the lightwave transfer. In my tests, objects placed in that scene directly in After Effects follow the track in the same manner. More careful placement in 3d space would likely solve it - the points tracked in this scene are not on a flat plane. If I get a chance I'll take another pass at it.

50one
02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
I'll upload some footage tomorrow to test, need to upload another video to vimeo and then will post both just to better explain.
Anyway, i'm getting a really good result in AE, using the built-in tracker, but when tranfering the camera to LW it seems to move like the keys are scaled somehow.

Blinkie
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM

Dot3,

Thanks for your suggestion.
But, it didn't help in my case.

Dillon
02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
I already did. Earlier in this thread. I think you saw the comparison and even commented on it.

It's no big deal, there's obvious limitations when doing complicated camera moves (like dolly and trucking shots). There's no way to orient or scale the 3D scene in AE before sending to LW (which is what the pro mactchmoving apps do). I was hoping for a magic pill between AE and LW.

Why not do one of those "absolutely locked" AE tracks and overlay a LW translation over it so we can quantify exactly what the difference is you're seeing?

kcole
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
One other thing to check - make sure the footage imported and overlaid into AE has the correct pixel aspect ratio - I think that's the cause of the slip near the sides of the frame in my example, and maybe it bit you too.

OnlineRender
02-06-2013, 06:27 PM
also wont help but when you do a track make sure you are in full rez

jeric_synergy
02-06-2013, 06:28 PM
I already did. Earlier in this thread. I think you saw the comparison and even commented on it.
I saw one then the other but not in the same render.

I mean like something with a pointer in AE and a similar one in LW so we can see exactly how many pixels or how many frames the discrepency is. But, if the errors are on the order of the TRex bush, ehh.

dwburman
02-06-2013, 08:32 PM
You're animating the null in AE to export to LW, and the animation data is not showing up for the null?

I haven't done any of this other stuff. Maybe I should start learning how to integrate AE into my LW workflow. The only thing I've thought of so far is the camera tracker.

Although, with Element 3D able to read obj (and object sequences), I wonder what use an AE / LW connection is good for me?

I feel like a newbie. Even after teaching VFX at the Academy of Art 12 years ago.

Does AE play audio real time yet?

Last year I did a corporate video where in one section I flew around in 3D space between different sets of panels and I wanted everything synced to the music. It was much easier to animate the camera moves and the panels flipping in LW than AE because you can actually hear the audio track when you scrub/play the time line without having to do a RAM preview after you've made some changes or hit the . key on the num pad to play the audio without visuals.

Also, aren't there some limits to what Element can do (like raytraced reflections)? I haven't looked at it recently.

ivanze
02-06-2013, 08:44 PM
In AE press Alt while you are scrubbing the timeline and you can hear the audio.

djwaterman
02-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Yes, after you've made a preview I think, hold alt and scrub, you'll hear a choppy stuttered playback. Element has no ray tracing at the moment but they're going to be working on that.

Hail
02-07-2013, 05:34 AM
In AE press Alt while you are scrubbing the timeline and you can hear the audio.

In AE CS6 it is ctrl timeline scrubbing(and not alt) but not sure about previous versions though:)

ivanze
02-07-2013, 08:01 AM
In AE CS6 it is ctrl timeline scrubbing(and not alt) but not sure about previous versions though:)

You are right, is CTRL, my mistake. :)

kcole
02-07-2013, 10:57 AM
I think I have this licked. It seems that NTSC pixel aspect ratio (0.91), as in the case of the TRex backplate, causes some confusion in the AE->LW transfer. Converting the footage to square pixel aspect ratio before running the 3D track in After Effects resolves the issue. Resulting camera and nulls work directly in LW and match well. There may be a better/easier solution, but with my somewhat limited knowledge of these subjects, this is the best workflow I can recommend.

Also, I'm not entirely sure where the fault lies - is the AE->LW conversion getting confused, or is AE itself doing something wonky with the pixel aspect ratio/camera, to make it work in AE?

First part of vid is original, second part is with square pixels. The 3-pronged pointer is rendered in LW and the red/green/purple dots are solids rendered in AE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CEbFSj2BM&feature=youtu.be

Hope this helps someone out there. :)

Dillon
02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
AH HA!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Cody (at NewTek) had posted an AE - LW video that showcased how to use the interchange, and described a step that resolved most of the slipping issues I was having with hand held dolly / trucking shots! But for some reason, the video was taken down. You can find reference to this video in the "Genoma Video" thread just posted this morning.

Anyways, the procedure to resolve this is a scale function (!) inside AE. After applying the tracker and making a few nulls connected to the tracks, you create ANOTHER null, and convert it to 3D space, and then parent the camera and other tracked nulls to the new null you created. Hope that made sense.

Then after you've got the camera and tracker nulls parented to this null you created manually (and converted to 3D space), you then scale the master null so that the camera and tracker nulls come close to the center of the 3D scene (Cody used the title/action safe toggle in AE). He scaled the whole scene to get as close as possible to the center of the screen.

I did the same procedure, and VIOLA! Nearly flawless track in AE *and* LW. Here's an example.

I'm bursting with happy nulls!

Dillon

jeric_synergy
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
So, that video was removed??? 8~

That fix sounds very non-intuitive-- is it covered anywhere else?

50one
02-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Can you rotate it tho? I've got perfect track in AE, but when I export to AE the 'the ground plane' is the wall :)

Dillon
02-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Doesn't make much sense to me either (parenting tracked nulls to a master null and then scaling the entire scene to get as close to the center of AE space as possible).

Dunno why the video was removed either. But I've tested it with several different shots, and am now getting consistently good tracks in AE and in LW. Rendering out another example (this time with a background texture and character standing on a real chair). Will upload when the renders are done.

I'm pretty stoked.

So, that video was removed??? 8~

That fix sounds very non-intuitive-- is it covered anywhere else?

jeric_synergy
02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
This might be the same thing, it's by Cody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Bz0RiS5o4

BTW, this type of issue is why I want ONLINE DOX: this is dated today, and with ONLINE DOX, BeeVee could just pop a link into the PDFs right effing now, and help other confused LW users immediately.

Users MIGHT find it here, but if it's in the Official Dox, they WILL find it.

Kudos to NewTek for staying on top of this and addressing it in a very timely way!

kcole
02-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Each of my tracked scenes uses parenting to a null, a useful habit I picked up from videocopilot.net. This allows you to make the ground plane match up with something reasonable in AE and LW. However it should have absolutely no effect on the track - the camera and nulls, when parented to the same null, remain in perfect sync with each other. As far as I know, the step of parenting to a null and scaling/moving to center is for convenience only. The end result is the same, and this should have no bearing on slip.

Dillon
02-07-2013, 01:11 PM
and yet ... it does (for me).

Each of my tracked scenes uses parenting to a null, a useful habit I picked up from videocopilot.net. This allows you to make the ground plane match up with something reasonable in AE and LW. However it should have absolutely no effect on the track - the camera and nulls, when parented to the same null, remain in perfect sync with each other. As far as I know, the step of parenting to a null and scaling/moving to center is for convenience only. The end result is the same, and this should have no bearing on slip.

jeric_synergy
02-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Following Cody's tutorial (above) -- and well presented it is, well done-- but have an AE question:

No problems, but my AE Camera doesn't display a nice Camera Icon and field of view like Cody's example. How do I get that?

Thanks.

OnlineRender
02-07-2013, 01:18 PM
flip the view " windows "> view

jeric_synergy
02-07-2013, 01:24 PM
flip the view " windows "> view
Ya lost me. "flip"?? (CS6)

Here's the AE comp:111258

50one
02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm starting to pull my hair out, can anyone tell me how on earth I should fix the camera orientation so the tracked ground plane is realy a ground plane? eyeballing and trial and error?

kcole
02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
and yet ... it does (for me).

I just ran a test, once with parenting/centering/scaling as normal, once without and the renders are identical. The camera and nulls will be in a different place/scale/orientation in lightwave, which I find better since they match with the ground plane. However, they are the same relative to each other regardless of this technique, resulting in the same render.

I may be missing something somewhere though. Can you do an A/B comparison with the same track and nulls, once before parenting/reorienting and once after? This is the test I did and I would be interested to see if you get different results.

jeric_synergy
02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
This is the test I did and I would be interested to see if you get different results.
btw kcole, that was an EXCELLENT diagnostic device. Kudos.

GUYS, we're image professionals: use images to describe your problems, not words.

50one
02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Giving up for today, this whole process giving me headache, with all respect to Newtek I appreciate the tutorial, but I would rather see a video of a simple table and how it was matched in Lightwave after tracking in AE, I tried parenting a camera to null in layout and adjust it that way but this is just pointless, take ages and still looks bad. Here's my video if anyone is interested(quite easy to track) pass is LW https://vimeo.com/59010321

jeric_synergy
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Okay, here's what happened: when the LW scene is exported, the AE camera is way out in the boondocks. If I use an AE orthogonal view and zoom out AMAP, I can start to see the camera motion path. (see attached)

Needless to say, this is inconvenient. (After using LW for years, navigating in 3D in AE has always been a huge PITA.) :lwicon:

It'd be nice to avoid this. Any suggestions? In LW, the camera is 70 meters away on the -Z axis.

50one
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM
You can do the same thing as in AE, add null, parent it in LW and then scale.
Hold on, I'm talking bollocks, need sleep.

kcole
02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Giving up for today...https://vimeo.com/59010321

Video is marked private.

50one
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Video is marked private.

Password is 'LW'

and here's my aep to speed things up: http://www.mediafire.com/?zvsnn3qpinbgeu5

Vong
02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Video is marked private.

And he mentions the password is LW. :D

jeric_synergy
02-07-2013, 03:27 PM
You can do the same thing as in AE, add null, parent it in LW and then scale.
Hold on, I'm talking bollocks, need sleep.
I guess I'm going to find out in which it would be easier, scaling before hand in LW, or after hand in AE.

Scaling in LW could, I believe, ruin some textures.... I think.....

kcole
02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Okay, here's what happened: when the LW scene is exported, the AE camera is way out in the boondocks. If I use an AE orthogonal view and zoom out AMAP, I can start to see the camera motion path. (see attached)

Needless to say, this is inconvenient. (After using LW for years, navigating in 3D in AE has always been a huge PITA.) :lwicon:

It'd be nice to avoid this. Any suggestions? In LW, the camera is 70 meters away on the -Z axis.

The first half of this tutorial is an excellent walk-through of normalizing tracked scenes:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/alien_surface/

Video Copilot is such a cool site.

50one
02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
The first half of this tutorial is an excellent walk-through of normalizing tracked scenes:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/alien_surface/

Video Copilot is such a cool site.

Yes, need to have a look at the VC stuff.

dwburman
02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
(After using LW for years, navigating in 3D in AE has always been a huge PITA.) :lwicon:

That's why I like using LW as a remote control for the camera (and lights and nulls to which things are parented to) in AE. I just adjust the camera motion in LW and update to push the result to AE... at least that worked with AE Link. I haven't tried it with the native solution yet.

jeric_synergy
02-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Including the composition 'window' in a 3d environment makes no effing sense. I really hate that part.

Jim M
02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
All working here now, though a couple of surprises... it doesn't respect parenting from AE to LW. No big deal though.

jeric_synergy
02-08-2013, 01:24 PM
All working here now, though a couple of surprises... it doesn't respect parenting from AE to LW. No big deal though.
I was wondering about that (still baby steps here): are the keyframes translated as WORLD COORDS, so it wouldn't (?) matter, or is it bad and translated as local coordinates, which I believe would necessitate baking motion paths.

:stumped:

(That kinda sounds like it could be a big deal.)

kcole
02-08-2013, 02:03 PM
No need to bake motion paths. As long as the tracked footage is square pixel, it works a treat.

jeric_synergy
02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
So, the motion paths come in fine, but the parenting relationships are discarded?

kcole
02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
The transfer is one object at a time, so there's no way to bring parented objects. In a standard camera tracking, the only thing that moves over time is the camera itself. All the nulls are static, so I've never found the need to bring over parenting.

Jim M
02-08-2013, 07:31 PM
I understand, but my use would be for mo graph stuff, done in AE and have it faithfully connected to layout.

shadowlock
02-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Here is a test I did with CS6. After getting nowhere with CS5 I downloaded the 30 day trial for CS6.

I made it a little shake to see how well it would track. I did not do any cleanup except for parenting the null and camera to a master null and align the desktop with Lightwave's grid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAfvZFvWXc

Digital Hermit
02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
I know this should not have anything to do with the "AE starting up and shutting down" issue... but are the ones having success, with CS6, using a Cloud subscription or not?

shadowlock
02-10-2013, 12:07 PM
The one I ran is with the 30 day trial cloud subscription.

I know this should not have anything to do with the "AE starting up and shutting down" issue... but are the ones having success, with CS6, using a Cloud subscription or not?

jeric_synergy
02-10-2013, 02:18 PM
..... except for parenting the null and camera to a master null and align the desktop with Lightwave's grid.
That's the part that's thwarting me: could you expand on that bit?

Celshader
02-10-2013, 02:23 PM

I'm following Cody's tutorial on YouTube. So far the LightWave->AfterFX part works with my CS6 cloud subscription. I do not know if it matters, but I have all the CS6 cloud applications installed to this directory:

C:\Adobe

Trying the other way now...

jeric_synergy
02-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Password is 'LW'

and here's my aep to speed things up: http://www.mediafire.com/?zvsnn3qpinbgeu5
Is that video still there? Now I'm not seeing a place to enter "LW".

It's a great test piece.

Celshader
02-10-2013, 04:50 PM
OK, LW11.5<>AECS6 worked in both directions on my machine, which was cool. Here's what I learned:

When you click "Send to AE" in LightWave 11.5 for the first time, you need to point it to the location of the After Effects executable.
If Export -> Send Selected Layer to LightWave3D does not appear in the After Effects File menu, shut down After Effects and manually copy this file:

<LW11.5 dir>\support\3rdparty_support\AfterEffects\AEtoLW.aex

...to this location:

<AfterFX dir>\Support Files\Plug-ins\Effects\AEtoLW.aex
When running File->Export->Send Selected Layer to LightWave3D out of After Effects, you will have to point it to the location of the Layout.exe file for your installation of LightWave 11.5.
If a null fails to export from After Effects to LightWave, make sure it is a 3D Null object (a cube should appear under the 3D Layer column for that Null layer). 2D Nulls will not export from After Effects to LightWave.

jeric_synergy
02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
more experimenting.
OK, I'm experimenting with the table footage.... just examined the track and the spatial SCREEN location of the (AE) Solid I added and exported to LW seems dead on (it comes in as a point/null, not any kind of poly-- feature request!), but adding a piece of solid geometry to it slides about quite a bit.

Since the track looks fine in AE, and the location looks fine in LW, I'm suspecting something with the Camera focal length. So, that's next.
++++

Not so much the focal length (although there are some numbers that disagree between AE and LW about the lens), as not having a good perspective. Once I lined up the objects in a way that made 3d sense, the illusory sliding disappeared. In retrospect, rendering out a temporary animation with the solid that AE generated would have made it easier to match the LW object to it, since that was what was supposed to happen.

IOW, a 3d object that seems to penetrate a RW object in the track can give the illusion that the tracking is off, when it is not. It's just confusing to the eye.

Shorter: planes are your friend.

MSherak
02-11-2013, 05:08 PM
No need to bake motion paths. As long as the tracked footage is square pixel, it works a treat.

Wonder if this is a limit in AE's Tracker.. Cause it will track a non-square, just seems not to export it correctly.. Course the easy way to always make sure is just set it in the Interpret Footage and set to square pixels. Lands in the right place in LW everytime..

jeric_synergy
02-11-2013, 06:36 PM
(the so-called "Search" function here is REALLY getting on my last nerve....)

One aspect of the new 11.5 AE interchange capability is that I predict we're going to curse even MORE Lightwave's inability to have 'static objects'. (There's STATIC_CHANNELS, but it has to be applied 9 times, not an ideal solution in my book.)

Why camera tracking? Because I think we'll find ourselves tweaking objects at various frames as we perfect the track, wanting them to be static, and we'll be creating a lot of out-of-place keyframes that will have to be deleted in favor of one at frame #zero. IOW, we'll be wasting our time. A lot.

SO, another plea to NewTek: please make a motion modifier that will A) allow us to keep AUTO KEYFRAME on, but B) will automagically move new keyframes to frame #zero.

dwburman
02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
If you just need to reposition the object, you could use the Move Path tool. If you need to rotate the object, the Add To Rotation does work, but it's not interactive and therefore limited.

50one
02-11-2013, 11:54 PM
LooKs like you had more luck than me in aligning it in LW, gonna experiment with it today evening again.
Anyway I've seen a video of a guy importing a Camera from C4D with similar experience (track not aligned in 3D space) what he did, was quite simple - rotate the camera and nulls parented to one null in C4D 90 degree on Pitch and it looked spot on. i should add that his footage was quite similar to my footage, but he stated that it should work in all scenarios, not sure if there's a difference in what Cinema exporter do when it comes to translating the values.

Digital Hermit
02-12-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm following Cody's tutorial on YouTube. So far the LightWave->AfterFX part works with my CS6 cloud subscription. I do not know if it matters, but I have all the CS6 cloud applications installed to this directory:

C:\Adobe

Trying the other way now...

Thanks Celshader, I had no problem before exporting from AE>LW even with AEtoLW.aex originally installed into my <AfterFX dir>\Support Files\Plug-ins\AEtoLW.aex. "I moved to my \Effects\ folder anyway, still works. :D " But when I Export from LW to AE I still get the AE shutdown. But you have me curious with the C:\Adobe directory instillation. Mine is currently in my C:\Program Files\Adobe... my concern is if I move it to my C drive root, will it screw up something now or later i.e. shortcuts, updates, whatever etc.

Thanks

jeric_synergy
02-12-2013, 12:20 AM
I've got it pretty well. I think when people are seeing slipping, they actually aren't getting the orientation of the rendered object correct-- it looks like slipping.

Once I took some steps to make orienting the rendered meshes correctly, it looks very good. 30 minutes to go on the render, I'll put it up tomorrow on Vimeo (gotta sign up).

50one
02-12-2013, 01:05 AM
I've got it pretty well. I think when people are seeing slipping, they actually aren't getting the orientation of the rendered object correct-- it looks like slipping.

Once I took some steps to make orienting the rendered meshes correctly, it looks very good. 30 minutes to go on the render, I'll put it up tomorrow on Vimeo (gotta sign up).

Great, can't wait to see the result!

jeric_synergy
02-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Uploading to Vimeo now (14M). Pretty good track, biggest discrepency is ~f300. YMMV, but I think it's satisfactory, and that's w/minimal tweeking and zero keyframing. (Obviously I could mess w/it ad infinitum and make it better.)

Maybe I have low standards.

This footage is particularly easy to track, given the rectangular table w/near linear lines across it, but if a user can get an AE track they're happy with, AE itself can put in a regular rectangle. The key to using this shape (GridCone®) is it gives you an object that is 3d (not flat) and allows you to match the circumference of the cone base to the AE square. You just keep tilting the cone until it matches the square on the majority of frames. And being able to see thru the cone makes life easier too.

I think I did this a bit wrong in that I should have been tilting the Master Null rather than the GridCone® itself, but if you're only matching ONE, STATIC object, this works fine. For moving, multiple objects, matching the key object (GridCone®) using only the Master Null is the way to go.

jeric_synergy
02-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Uploading to Vimeo now (14M). Pretty good track, biggest discrepency is ~f300. YMMV, but I think it's satisfactory, and that's w/minimal tweeking and zero keyframing. (Obviously I could mess w/it ad infinitum and make it better.)

Maybe I have low standards.

This footage is particularly easy to track, given the rectangular table w/near linear lines across it, but if a user can get an AE track they're happy with, AE itself can put in a regular rectangle. The key to using this shape (GridCone®) is it gives you an object that is 3d (not flat) and allows you to match the circumference of the cone base to the AE square. You just keep tilting the cone until it matches the square on the majority of frames. And being able to see thru the cone makes life easier too.

I think I did this a bit wrong in that I should have been tilting the Master Null rather than the GridCone® itself, but if you're only matching ONE, STATIC object, this works fine. For moving, multiple objects, matching the key object (GridCone®) using only the Master Null is the way to go.

Vimeo will start converting the video at ~12:30 PST. After that time, I think it will be viewable at this url:
https://vimeo.com/59513520

GregMalick
02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Aloha Jeric,

I'm no pro but I think it looks good.
Oh, and nice job with the lighting.
I wish the cone's polys had a little depth to sell it but (meh) still looks good to me.

jeric_synergy
02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Aloha Jeric,

I'm no pro but I think it looks good.
Oh, and nice job with the lighting.
I wish the cone's polys had a little depth to sell it but (meh) still looks good to me.
D'oh!!! THAT'S what I shoulda done! :foreheads

But, to tell you the truth, the GridCone® is merely/strictly an alignment tool. What I didn't show you guys is the "alignment footage" I generated in AE to make it easier to align the LW world to the AE world. Some meshes are going to be very confusing to align: by using the super-simplistic GridCone® it's easy to line it up to the square generated in AE, and then replace it with the actual geometry for the shot. https://vimeo.com/59513520

Getting the shadows semi-right (thanks) took 'wayyyy longer than tracking the shot. Used the SHADOW CATCHER MATERIAL NODE to get the shadows right.

I'll thicken up the GridCone® ("GridConePLUS®" ;) ) and re-render tonight to sell the look better: it's ~3hr render.

jeric_synergy
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Here's the same damn thing, but with some thickness added to the object to improve its 'reality' -- should be processed by 12:00PST:

https://vimeo.com/59596875

(DAYUM Vimeo is slick!) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GregMalick
02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
I really wasn't trying to be critical in my last comment - (but I do think it's way better now).

So what method did you use to match the lighting?
Did you just measure and replicate the positions of the lights in your Living Room?

50one
02-13-2013, 03:58 PM
I should have the scene with matched lightning somewhere on my hard rive, not sure how jeric's lightning setup look like, but there should be three lights in the scene, one big window behind with blueish tint, big area light acting as ceiling with slightly yellowish/peach colour tint and one in front(garden doors) little blueish. I can post the scene tomorrow, but it's matched only in LW, not AE, so you could experiment.

jeric_synergy
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
I really wasn't trying to be critical in my last comment - (but I do think it's way better now).
No worries! :beerchug:

So what method did you use to match the lighting?
"Eyeballs and Iterations" -- which coincidentally is the name of my new album. :ohmy:

Did you just measure and replicate the positions of the lights in your Living Room?
Nope-- that's not my footage, it's 50one's. I hope he leaves it up for others to practice on, it's a perfect test piece.

I just looked at the shadows on the carpet, I have no idea what the light source is although I'd guess a big sliding patio door. TBH, if I were to do this again, I'd add another light from screen right to replicate the ambient light in the room-- that side of the rendered object is too dark IMO. In production I'd probably just do a soft mask on that in AE and boost the level a tad. EDIT: oh and a 'downlight' to lighten up the shadows a bit.

Not that I've ever done that, but I really need to justify my purchase of EXR_Trader.

Digital Hermit
02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
sadkkf

Seems we are having the same problem...

I managed to get it to work by manually running the script in AE.
Here's how...

In case anyone is having problems with CS6, opening and closing, and CS5 issues as well. The fix is in the link above.

Props to Deep Purple!

Best,

jboudreau
02-21-2013, 10:50 PM
LooKs like you had more luck than me in aligning it in LW, gonna experiment with it today evening again.
Anyway I've seen a video of a guy importing a Camera from C4D with similar experience (track not aligned in 3D space) what he did, was quite simple - rotate the camera and nulls parented to one null in C4D 90 degree on Pitch and it looked spot on. i should add that his footage was quite similar to my footage, but he stated that it should work in all scenarios, not sure if there's a difference in what Cinema exporter do when it comes to translating the values.

Hey

If anyone is still having trouble getting a perfect tracked shot from AE To Lightwave just let me know I'm thinking of creating a tutorial if their is enough interest. I came up with a technique that works perfectly and gives you prefectly locked nulls to your footage and a coordinates system (Grid matches correct orientation). Tracked 6 shots with various degrees of difficulty and it came out perfect everytime. Even for those of you that seen the upto speed videos by Dan Ablan (tracking section) I managed to get a perfect track where the nulls locked perfectly to the street shot he used in his video.

Here is the lightwave scene for those that have the project files from the Dan Ablan "Lightwave 11.5 Upto Speed Videos". All you will need to do is import the street view movie into the background and you will see that everything matches perfectly

Thanks,
Jason

Thanks
Jason

raw-m
02-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Always interested in different techniques so a tutorial would be great, Jason.

50one
02-22-2013, 08:53 AM
OK, finally managed to find an easy work-flow for this, my frustration was caused by the not-so-easy aligning the exported nulls and camera from AE in LW, so that the 3D environemt matched the tracked footage[even tho I normalised the Nulls/Camera in AE]. What made the whole process easier was making sure that all Nulls in AE or their Vectors - will face the same directions.

If you click on any of the tracked points in your camera tracker and click "Add Null" AE will just add Null with random vectors[some of them will match, some of the won't, latter in my case], sooo, all you have to do is make sure to select at least three or more points[assuming it's a planar surface] in your camera tracker and then add [B]Nulls and this will make the whole process of aligning the points in AE a whole lot easier - not to mention the LW.

I'm attaching the LW/AE file, you can find the source footage posted in this thread earlier on if you want to import it into AE or LW. I have used the default Ferrari Spyder from the content folder, so it's not attached here.

Download LW scene/AE project (https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ac6o1cm9xu7j9n/TRACK.rar)

jeric_synergy
02-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Ha, I used the Spider too.

50one, could you expand on your middle paragraph above?, just flesh it out a bit more-- I'd love to know more.

50one
02-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Ha, I used the Spider too.

50one, could you expand on your middle paragraph above?, just flesh it out a bit more-- I'd love to know more.

Hi,

yeah, like I said, after tracking your footage in AE, you'll get all those funky colour-full markers on it. All you need to do is make sure to hold down Shift and select few of them[so it create a polygon] - repeat the process as many times you need - to get 4 or more Nulls aligned - the reason for that is that all your Nulls vectors will face the same direction - in my case the 'Z' vector goes up. When I just clicked on few random points in the Tracker, My newly created Nulls or their vectors were pointing in various directions.

When all the Nulls are facing the same direction(vectors wise) it is much easier to do the normalisation, when you enlarge the Nulls in AE - so you can see them as flat planes in 3D space.

jeric_synergy
02-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks 50one (let me repeat that back at you to make sure I'm getting it):

So, (to restate what you kindly said above), unselected nulls created by AE's 3d tracker just sorta have random-ish rotation vectors??? BUT the usual AE "selecting trackpoints creates a solid/polygon" behaviour rotates them around so their Z axis is normal to the polygon produced?

When you get back to LW, do you just do the "parent everything to a Master Null" trick to rotate and align a set of LW nulls (exported AE-nulls) to the LW groundplane? (To me, that's one of the more laborious/annoying parts of the process.)

Hey, scripters, a short LScript/Python script to automate the creation and parenting (really should be "childing") of everything to a Master Null would be very welcome.

BTW: "funky"+{your avatar}= teh_laff. :D

ivax21
02-28-2013, 04:15 AM
"Hey

If anyone is still having trouble getting a perfect tracked shot from AE To Lightwave just let me know I'm thinking of creating a tutorial if their is enough interest. I came up with a technique that works perfectly and gives you prefectly locked nulls to your footage and a coordinates system (Grid matches correct orientation). Tracked 6 shots with various degrees of difficulty and it came out perfect everytime. Even for those of you that seen the upto speed videos by Dan Ablan (tracking section) I managed to get a perfect track where the nulls locked perfectly to the street shot he used in his video.

Here is the lightwave scene for those that have the project files from the Dan Ablan "Lightwave 11.5 Upto Speed Videos". All you will need to do is import the street view movie into the background and you will see that everything matches perfectly

Lightwave_Street_Track_wObjects_Coordinate_System. zip

Thanks,
Jason

I do not get to make it work the transfer of a LW AF, the camera movement seems equal but different and move nullos Earned leave standing at the point you specify, I have given the scene softened but not doing it I get it to work,
I'm going crazy, you could a tutorial or video tutorial, would be greatly appreciated,
thanks

jboudreau
02-28-2013, 04:26 AM
"Hey

Lightwave_Street_Track_wObjects_Coordinate_System. zip

Thanks,
Jason

I do not get to make it work the transfer of a LW AF, the camera movement seems equal but different and move nullos Earned leave standing at the point you specify, I have given the scene softened but not doing it I get it to work,
I'm going crazy, you could a tutorial or video tutorial, would be greatly appreciated,
thanks

Hi

What scene are you working with the one I provided in my post or your own?

ivax21
02-28-2013, 04:35 AM
one on my own, yours if the scene looks good but is not exactly the next steps for me to work in another mine,

jboudreau
02-28-2013, 05:05 AM
one on my own, yours if the scene looks good but is not exactly the next steps for me to work in another mine,

Hi

Have you tried this tutorial by Cody Burke, If so and it still isn't working for you let me know :)

https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/lightwave-115-after-effects-interchange/

Although his technique is good and gives pretty good results their is still room for error and sliding using this technique. My technique is a bit different concerning the AE aspect of it and has no errors or sliding issues.

Thanks,
Jason

ivax21
02-28-2013, 05:12 AM
hello,
I've already tried, but this technique used in other my images not just go fine camera slide remains in lightwave, I will continue trying, thanks

jboudreau
02-28-2013, 05:14 AM
hello,
I've already tried, but this technique used in other my images not just go fine camera slide remains in lightwave, I will continue trying, thanks

Are you able to provide me with the scene or the footage that you are trying to track?

ivax21
02-28-2013, 05:15 AM
yes, when i finish a work i send you, thanks

jboudreau
02-28-2013, 05:18 AM
yes, when i finish a work i send you, thanks

Okay, Thanks. I will try it on my end and if it works I will try and explain how I got it to work

Thanks,
Jason