PDA

View Full Version : Edge node preset

philthorn
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Since the edge node is only available via the object/edges tab how do you go about saving the node setups? If I have 10-20 objects n a scene I really don't want to have to recreate the node network every time for each object.

Am I missing so way to save out a edge node preset to apply to new objects?

Thanks

Sensei
02-01-2013, 12:57 PM
These nodes are saved with lws.

You can use TrueGroup http://truegroup.trueart.eu
and create one file on disk, and then just copy'n'paste it, instead of whole network.

philthorn
02-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Thank you Sensei (love saying that!)
I'll give that plugin a look. For now it was easy enough to copy that node block in the lws and paste it below each object.

Thank you!

-Phil

Sensei
02-01-2013, 01:37 PM
It's possible to write plugin which will copy one Edge Node Editor to other objects inside of Layout.

philthorn
02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Yep, when time permits I may write up something - been a long time since I've written anything for LW but I'm thrilled that Python is now an option. It'd be nice if I could use a pick-list to assign a pre-saved node to multiple objects.

Sensei
02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
I didn't said it's possible using Python.

Celshader
02-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Since the edge node is only available via the object/edges tab how do you go about saving the node setups? If I have 10-20 objects n a scene I really don't want to have to recreate the node network every time for each object.

Am I missing so way to save out a edge node preset to apply to new objects?

Thanks

Consider this option:

Select all nodes you want to save to disk.
At the top of the Node Editor, click on Edit->Export Selected. Save out a *.nodes file.
Go to another Node Editor.
At the top of that Node Editor, click on Edit->Import Nodes. Load in the appropriate *.nodes file to append those nodes to your existing node setup.

philthorn
02-01-2013, 03:49 PM
The only problem with that option is it doesn't save the "end" connections and in the case of the edge node that can be a lot of connections to re-do.

Thanks

philthorn
02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
I didn't said it's possible using Python.

I wasn't assuming anything. You're probably right - it may not be. It would be my first try as I'm more of a script guy these days.

UnCommonGrafx
02-01-2013, 04:27 PM
No connections isn't a problem:
At the bottom of all nodes screens is the note area; scribing a note in this area can alert the user as to where might be a good place to plug this thing's particular outputs to.