PDA

View Full Version : License LW11.5

ige
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi. I have upgraded to LW11,5. To enter the license I'm told to drag the license key on to the SPLASH screen which opens when started first time. But the splash screen don't open! Only LW running in Discovery Mode. What have I done wrong?

Thomas Leitner
02-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi. I have upgraded to LW11,5. To enter the license I'm told to drag the license key on to the SPLASH screen which opens when started first time. But the splash screen don't open! Only LW running in Discovery Mode. What have I done wrong?

Hi,
same here. I dropped it direct into layout.

ciao
Thomas

mummyman
02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I just dragged it into the perspective view, and it worked on one machine. The other machine won't accept the license!!! WIERD. Works with the dongle though.

ige
02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks. Now it worked !

ranhell
02-01-2013, 10:18 PM
I just threw mine in the license folder....and it worked

maschinsky
02-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Have similar problem. No splash screen to throw license file at. Dragging it to layout gives me a message that a license file has been written, but Layout still comes up in demo-mode after restart. Dropping the LICENSE.LWK into the "Application Support/Newtek/LightWave/11.5/licenses/" folder does not help either. My USB dongle is attached to the system, but still - Demo mode.

I'm scratching my head here, but have contacted support.

maschinsky
02-05-2013, 04:35 AM
Tried installing LW11.5 on my notebook that never had a LW installation before - there it was, the splash-screen. Dragged the license-file onto it and voilá it was unlocked. Still no luck on my production machine though.
Uninstalled everything completely including license files and sentinel (dongle) kernel extension, that was there from 9.x or 10.x, bust still Discovery Mode.

How long does it take for customer support to reply? Submitted my case almost 20 hours ago and still no answer. That's a bin lengthy for a $1500.- piece of software, methinks.

Can't not even use it as a paperweight, because it was digital delivery... :-(

mike_stening
02-05-2013, 05:12 AM
have you tried bringing up the about Lightwave window,
Lightwave Layout/ About Lightwave Layout
and dropping it on there?

madno
02-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Had a similar problem, but solved it:

- Used LW 11.0.2 with dongle and old lic file.
- Never installed LW 11.0.3
- Now installed LW 11.5 and draged&dropped my old lic file (from LW10 times) into the splash screen

That worked with the dongle attached,
but not without the dongle.

- To cross check, I downloaded the latest available lic file from my store account
- Noticed, that the content of that lic file is different from the one of my old LW 10 lic file
(the old one just included the serial number, the new one has some additional stuff)

- took that new lic file and just dragged it onto an open Layout window.
- That solved it for me, LW is now working without dongle.

maschinsky
02-05-2013, 07:56 AM
I skipped LW 11.0.X and am coming directly from 10.1, which worked just fine yesterday. I do have a 10.X license file for download in my account, which is a LICENSE.KEY file. When I drop it onto the 3D view of modeler it gets copied into /library/Application Support/..... where it should be and asks to restart LWL, but still "Discovery Mode". I'm starting to get really pissed with that licensing-crap. I'd be happy using my USB dongle. Why is it that a paying customer has to put up with issues like that and users of pirated copies are happily up and running.

djwaterman
02-05-2013, 08:10 AM
My LW 11 was working fine without dongle until I installed 11.5, then I noticed that when I try to make a box or ball in version 11 it crashes. Of course I don't care that much because I'm just using 11.5 anyway, but it's a bit of a worry. So there's already pirate versions of 11.5 out there? I guess it doesn't take them long.

maschinsky
02-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Dunno, if there is a pirate copy out there and I don't wanna use one. Just wanted to make a point. It's a bit like having to sit through all those anti-piracy screens on a blu-ray or DVD, when you legally buy it and someone downloading a rip from the net does not have to look at that crap before seeing the movie.

I do understand that intellectual property must be honored, thats why I own a legal copy of LW since 1992, but I hate it when copy-protection bites me in the butt as a loyal customer and I don't get any support from NT as of yet.

I want 11.5 running as it is supposed to.

ige
02-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Agree!

bobakabob
02-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Check out this thread, some useful info if you're still in dreaded Discovery mode.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133234-Another-Lightwave-11-license-not-working

Windows Defender and antivirus may be an issue. Try disabling both before installation, create a new LW 11.5 folder in C drive and keep the dongle in the machine (to keep running older LW versions). Make sure no earlier version of the Hub is running..
Dropping the LW key file onto Layout seems to do the trick but some users are suggesting rebooting to get things working.

I hope the dev team move closer to Zbrush licensing model (getting there), it's straightforward and doesn't seem to have so many gotchas.
'

Phrog
02-05-2013, 03:41 PM
agree!

mike_stening
02-06-2013, 03:16 AM
are you dropping the new .LWK file onto layout and not the old .KEY file?

JonW
02-06-2013, 03:44 AM
I had no splash screen & just tried dropping onto Layout Discovery to see what would happen. It worked fine. & relaunched Layout. I'm running XP64

JonW
02-06-2013, 03:46 AM
Sorry double post due to the forum freezing!

maschinsky
02-06-2013, 03:58 AM
I'm on the Mac: We do not know things like Anti-Virus software :-) Nevertheless you gave me an idea. I disabled "Little Snitch" a piece of software that monitors and blocks OUTGOING internet traffic. A lot of Macheads have that installed. Unfortunately it had nothing to do with my "Discovery"-Problem.

Thanks anyway for the tip.

I have meanwhile made a new user account on my machine and I can unlock Lightwave there with no problem, so something must be wrong with my main account, but what?

It would be a pain to migrate everything to a new user account, because I have lots of settings/plugins/software that are use based.

maschinsky
02-06-2013, 04:01 AM
are you dropping the new .LWK file onto layout and not the old .KEY file?

The .LWK that I downloaded from my account page at NT. Works on my notebook, as I said, but not on my production machine.

mike_stening
02-06-2013, 07:21 AM
The .LWK that I downloaded from my account page at NT. Works on my notebook, as I said, but not on my production machine.

ok, sorry just checking
what version of OS X are you running, i have had a few permissions problems recently where the os wouldn't let me change certain things regardless of the access privileges i gave it.
reinstalling the latest combo update from apples site, not the one from software update, fixed a lot of my issues, might be worth a try on that.