PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up VPR

circleofsmoke
02-01-2013, 09:53 AM
When ever I see demos of the VPR it looks pretty speedy but Ive always found it sluggish and pretty useless.

What can I do to speed it up?

Is it ram processor or gpu - or everything?

would adding a quadro card with cuda make it usable?

Danner
02-01-2013, 10:00 AM
CPU not GPU. As many cores as you can afford. Enable draft mode, and half resolution. Disable refraction, reflections (specially soft ones) till you really need to edit them. Use luminous polygons instead of area lights. Use a smaller preview window and limited region when necesary. I use it all the time, but my machine is a monster =D.

Sensei
02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
What can I do to speed it up?

Buy modern computer.

Is it ram processor or gpu - or everything?

Processor.
Core i7 or Xeon > 4-6 cores, or even dual Xeon with 6 cores. It will show up as 24 threads in Task Manager.

Sanchon
02-02-2013, 06:52 PM
1. While working with heavy scenes set bounding box threshold to 1 - make key shortcut to this command for faster switching between modes
2. Sometimes VPR draft mode is slower than normal mode. Disable "draft mode", set camera minimal samples to 1, disable adaptive sampling. Set shading and light samples ( render globals panel) to 1. I have normal cameras and special VPR camera with low AA settings.
3. Use Render Globals - Global Illumination panel only for VPR work. Use Object Properties - Global Illumination panel for final renders - use here high, final radiosity values for objects. Set global radiosity in Render Globals to very low values : Bounces=1, RPE=20, AT=50, MinPS=5, MaxPS=10 (MaxPS=10 is sometimes faster than MaxPS=100). Make shortcut to switch between low and max radiosity modes - Redirect GI Settings - you can find this command in "configure Keys" panel, objects section. I have ctrl+shift+a shortcut to this command.
4. Disable - UseBumps, UseBehindTest, DirectionalRays, UseTransparency in Render Globals Global Illumination Panel. Enable - UseGradients.

Now if you want very fast VPR, select all objects in scene ( ctrl+A ), switch to use render globals radiosity settings (ctrl+shift+a) and done. If you want to do final F9 renders - select again all object, switch objects to use its own high radiosity settings from object properties panel. Enable again UseBumps,BehindTest etc. in RenderGlobals Panel if you want them, switch to camera with high AA settings.

This trick is like faster version of draft mode with lower AA and radiosity settings than we have as standard.

Danner
02-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Another trick that speeds up renders in general is that you can also disable shadows and radiosity on a per object basis. For example a pane of glass doesn't need radiosity calculations, nor does it (usually) need to receive shadows. The floor doesn't need to cast shadows either. Things like that.

circleofsmoke
02-04-2013, 07:38 AM
thanks - some things to try - I thought 6 dual cores (24 virtual cores) was pretty fast at the time (for a mac at least)