PDA

View Full Version : Hello New user with a question.

mmoir
02-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Hey all,
I am a new user of Lightwave and new here to the forums so a bit about myself then a question. I won Lightwave in Renderosity's 2012 Holiday Contest so I am here to try and learn it.:thumbsup:

I am longtime Carrara user that started using RayDream studio(1995) to do architectural renderings, the idea of using computers to create a rendering seemed "cool" to me. RayDream became Carrara and bounced from company to company until it ended up with Daz and is at version 8.0/8.5 which I currently use for my work.

I like doing large expansive scenes usually incorporating landscape and architectural stuff together, what I like about Carrara is it has most of the features to create a scene like this(although not fully implemented) It has a tree generator , clouds , replicator instances, simple displacement painting , 2d painting , hair and poly modeling . So , I don't really intend to switch apps but I want to expand my toolset as I realize Carrara is weak when it comes to certain things and I look forward to learning Lightwave .

So , here is the first of many questions.

This is about Instancing , if you look at the youtube video below by Newtek describing the instancing in 11.5 the guy clearly shows that he can select & move an "instance" of the original tree object.(30-60 secs in of video). I can't seem to do this .
I have "local" selected for the instances but when I use "pivot" as the type of instance I can't generate any instances although it says 1 is generated. Can anyone do what they illustrate in the video below, if you can I would really like to know :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihnY__SKtR8

What I want to do is to be able to scale ,move or rotate individual instances with respect to other instances around it. So, I would create a field of trees then I would select the tree instances at the edge of the field and scale them down or move them around. Is this possible .
Thanks
Mike

Simon-S
02-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Sounds a silly a question but are you using LW 11.5?

mmoir
02-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Hey Simon,
I have heard in school there is no such thing as a silly question:) Yes, I installed Lightwave 11.0 and was basically waiting for 11.5 to test this out on and to start learning the program in general. So after installing 11.5 I tested this out, although I did test this in Layout not Modeler if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
Mike

Simon-S
02-01-2013, 08:42 AM
It looks like in the video he's created a null object and assigned an instance generator to that- adding the tree object within the instance generator.
He has the type set to 'item pivot' meaning the instance will use the null objects pivot. I think it looks like you can move individual instances as he only has one. As soon as you crank the number of instances up it seems they behave like a group.

mmoir
02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Simon,
Okay , this makes sense although it means I can't do what I want.. I will hunt for a work around maybe using vertex painting/weight painting etc.

Thanks for figuring the video clip out.
Mike

djwaterman
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Well i tried this today so I don't know if it helps or not, just something I tried. Not using the group instancing part of Layout but rather the Clone Instance down the side next to Clone. So you select an actual object and use Clone instance and a null bounding box thing is created which is the clone, and then you can move that around like anything else in Layout. The only thing is it doesn't give you the option to create a number of clones, just one. So if you wanted a bunch of trees you'd have to use Clone Instance a number of times.

BeeVee
02-01-2013, 04:33 PM
And each would be a different object - a different null with an instancer and a clone of your original. If you would like to create multiple clones, you should use a setting like Points, Polygons, Surface or Array. The ones won't allow you to move individual instances except through the settings below, but you can control placement with weight maps or surfaces as you say. BTW. new keyboard shortcut for 11.5, Alt-c Instance clones where Ctrl-c clones.

B
PS. Welcome mmoir!

mmoir
02-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies and welcome.