PDA

View Full Version : 11.5 bugs?

Simon-S
02-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Just wondered if anyone had been getting any bugs with the new 11.5 build? I'm loving all the new tools and features but I'm getting an awful lot of crashes in layout...is anyone else experiencing this?

Also, under modeler tools in layout - when i try and create an object like a box, plane etc I just get a null. No biggy but just wondering if its just me.

In addition is anyone having problems with layout updating with changes made in modeler? I'm currently having to replace object everytime i make a change in modeler.

Simon-S
02-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Restarting my pc fixed most of these issues :)

Andy Webb
02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
I have found what might be a bug.

Create a box, select the new chamfer tool, any attempt to chamfer a point gets an instant crash...

LW 11.5 64 bit

hrgiger
02-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm not getting the chamfer crash with points.

Skonk
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Installed 11.5 onto 24 machines today and so far I've had one machine crash layout when converting a genoma rig (4 legged), but deleting and then re-adding the rig preset fixed it.

Had another machine crash when simply adding a genoma preset in modeler but a reboot fixed that.

So far that's it.

Andy Webb
02-01-2013, 09:39 AM
This is what I'm getting every time, works fine with edges and polys.

I'm on Win 8 but I don't see that as an issue.

vipvip242
02-01-2013, 10:03 AM
i've some problems when rendering scenes with screamernet2 for lw11.5: the command line displays "unable to access the scene file" and it happens most of time ( i've tried with some different scenes, demo and perso scenes, even with packed scene ). It is very strange because i didn't have such problems with LW11.03... i was belevieving because i used network drive but even with classic drives, it happens...

You can try with the chocolate scene in 11.5 demo-package, but it happens with many other ( but not all, as i said, some of my old works are working, i don't understand...)

the initialisation of screamernet is ok, shutdown too, just the rendering process seems to be buggy ( it is perhaps a path-file problem but as i said, i did exactly the same way of 11.03, which i used often without problems )

Does anyone encounter this ? Some help would be welcome ...

tcoursey
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Just wondered if anyone had been getting any bugs with the new 11.5 build? I'm loving all the new tools and features but I'm getting an awful lot of crashes in layout...is anyone else experiencing this?

Also, under modeler tools in layout - when i try and create an object like a box, plane etc I just get a null. No biggy but just wondering if its just me.

In addition is anyone having problems with layout updating with changes made in modeler? I'm currently having to replace object everytime i make a change in modeler.

I opened up layout and ran a test render from a previous scene. It was 28% faster! yay. I then began to try and work/move around the scene and I got a CRASH. Restarted PC, crash. Installed the latest Nvidia drivers for my Quadro FX 3700 crashed.

It seems when I move around a camera in Layout it crashes. sometimes takes a few back and forths but will crash everytime.

Have to get the scenes into the render que this weekend, so I guess I'll check out 11.5.1 Monday? I wish.....

tcoursey
02-01-2013, 10:43 AM

I opened up layout and ran a test render from a previous scene. It was 28% faster! yay. I then began to try and work/move around the scene and I got a CRASH. Restarted PC, crash. Installed the latest Nvidia drivers for my Quadro FX 3700 crashed.

It seems when I move around a camera in Layout it crashes. sometimes takes a few back and forths but will crash everytime.

Have to get the scenes into the render que this weekend, so I guess I'll check out 11.5.1 Monday? I wish.....

- - - Updated - - -

shrox
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM

I have lots of crashes and hangups on 9.6 under Win8, stuff that didn't happen under Win7.

Andy Webb
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I have lots of crashes and hangups on 9.6 under Win8, stuff that didn't happen under Win7.

I did find for the first time ever that I couldn't use the HUB using Win 8.

Everything would be fine for a while, but switching backwards and forwards between other programs and LW would cause a long wait,
with Win 8 saying the program had stopped working.

It would finally be ok, but after a few more backwards and forwards LW would finally crash.

Not had any issues with LW11.3 since I stop using the HUB.

paulhart
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I can't even launch 11.5. I am on Win XPPro and have never had a problem like this. Installed twice, with dongle, without, with Firewall, without, checked Firewall, permissions noted. I re-installed 11.03 successfully, runs fine. I FogBugz it, tried launching with the -0 option for no Hub, no difference. The hourglass flickers for two seconds but no action. Completely mystified??? Waiting for Tech Support to come up with a solution, nothing so far.
Paul

mummyman
02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
I had a wierd thing at the end of my install... a direct x error. So I rebooted, updated my graphics driver (not sure if that needed to be done) Re installed and it worked fine. Dongle works, but the dragging license key file claims to work, but doesn't for this particlular machine. All my other licenses work fine. Strange.

- - - Updated - - -

PS... ambient occlusion in the composite buffer works for me locally, with baking radiosity...but does not work on my render farm...

Simon-S
02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm also having a lot of crashes with genoma in modeler when I open the genoma presets panel.
Also in layout, having a lot of crashes when opening the content scenes...especially the fiberfx ones.

I also couldn't apply a normal displacement as it was causing crashes.

Sensei
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
I experienced crash when LW v11.0.3 hub was running, and then LW v11.5 was started. And reverse.

You must shut down hub when you're running multiple versions of LW.

tcoursey
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Yes crashes here too. Did a quick render test to see if rendering was any faster 11.0.3 to 11.5 and sure enough 11.5 is faster in my test ~28% in this case. However after beginning to move around in the scene it crashes a lot. I have rebooted, updated my graphics card drivers nvidia Quadro FX 3700 etc. No luck.

Open scene in 11.0.3 move around camera no crashes. Seems this release is a bust for me. Maybe an 11.5.1 on Monday? Can't wait to begin using in production.

- - - Updated - - -

I experienced crash when LW v11.0.3 hub was running, and then LW v11.5 was started. And reverse.

You must shut down hub when you're running multiple versions of LW.

Would be great if this was the fix! I'll try that with my crashes.

Serling
02-01-2013, 02:14 PM
I haven't had much of a chance to mess with the new release, but I haven't experienced any issues so far. Here are my new laptop's specs:

Intel i7 Quad Core processor (64 bit x 2.4 GHz)
Nvidia Geforce 630m (2 GB video ram)
16 GB system memory
Windows 8 Pro (is there anything "pro" about Windows 8???)

I loaded up an old scene on this thing and rendered it out. Very fast render with no crashes so far. 11.5 is the only version I'm running on this machine right now and it seems both very fast and stable.

Kaptive
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I can't say as I've had any crashes yet with anything I've tried so far.

Si, I've definititly got no probs making a cube from modeler tools in layout. Very strange.

My mate installed 11.5 while he had 11.03 open, and that caused a problem with install and gave an error at the end, so maybe that is worth making note of. He just re-installed it over the top (because there was no uninstall because of the error) and it all worked ok then. That bit of info might be useful to someone.

I do wonder, having read the comments here, if the version of windows you are using is the key problem. I'm on Win7, and like I say, all good so far (touch wood!). I know that the dongle free license doesn't work on XP though. I found that out after much messing about in 11.03.

Anyway, I hope you lot get things sorted!

Sensei
02-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I do wonder, having read the comments here,

Read again.. Cause is hub of LW v11.0.3 that is run, while trying to run LW v11.5, or reverse.
Windows version is meaningless.

Simon-S
02-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Read again.. Cause is hub of LW v11.0.3 that is run, while trying to run LW v11.5, or reverse.

Ah thanks for the tip Sensei. When hitting f12 from layout in 11.5 I have often been getting 11.03 modeler load up and vice versa. Cheers.

Sensei
02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Two version conflict.

BeeVee
02-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I opened up layout and ran a test render from a previous scene. It was 28% faster! yay.

Do bear in mind that the Shading and Lighting Samples were reduced to 1 (as shown on page 8 of the manual). If you were using sampled lights or blurred reflections, your render might have been 28% faster but looked rougher. :)

B

Kaptive
02-01-2013, 05:09 PM

Fair enough, it is very late on a Friday night :P Got sleepy eyes. Glad the problem has been located though. I need bed.

Sensei
02-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Ah thanks for the tip Sensei. When hitting f12 from layout in 11.5 I have often been getting 11.03 modeler load up and vice versa. Cheers.

That's obvious symptom of what is going on.

JamesCurtis
02-01-2013, 10:58 PM
i'm running Vista Business 64bit and so far I've had no crash problems. Only thing I notice is that when loading some of the 11.5 content scenes in and setting up Stereographic renders for them, I've had to bring the eye separation setting down to 1mm. Kinda strange IMO.

Silkrooster
02-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Try some of the auto creation tools like gears, on a layer with other objects. It will distort the other objects, it needs to be done on its own layer. Either a warning message should appear tell you to do so and stop, or the bug needs to be fixed, with the latter being preferred. The one and only time I have ever tried that tool, aye, aye, aye...

Bart
02-02-2013, 01:42 AM
A bug that annoys me is while doing Sugar cube tutorial and go to add hand "Genoma Presets>Rig Parts>07_hands>right_hand_01" (page 207), then press ok I receive two hands. Now in some cases this may be required but not for mr Sugar cube.

Kaptive
02-02-2013, 01:55 AM
That's obvious symptom of what is going on.

Well I suppose that the old adage is true that sometimes the most obvious things are the hardest to see (or couldn't see the wood for the trees). Good job we have you here Sen. :)

WillCameron
02-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Try some of the auto creation tools like gears, on a layer with other objects. It will distort the other objects, it needs to be done on its own layer. Either a warning message should appear tell you to do so and stop, or the bug needs to be fixed, with the latter being preferred. The one and only time I have ever tried that tool, aye, aye, aye...

you can see why this happens if you Undo the creation of a gear, its actually a script thats running apparently, that makes a gear spline then extrudes it, so during the extrude its messing up all other geometry on the layer.. Its actually like this in all other versions I believe. the gears.ls (and others) lscript file, if I recall. could probably be modified...

- WIll.

Bart
02-02-2013, 06:13 AM
Well I fixed Mr Sugarcube and the mysterious second hand. Alas I should have been more observant of what I was doing, I was selecting the wrong connecter.
Guess Ill slow down and read the instructions a bit more on all the new gizmos.
Mr sugarcube now has only one left and one right hand.

bazsa73
02-02-2013, 08:02 AM
I found a big fat bug. I did fibermesh in ZBrush, sent it via GoZ to modeler, but since it was a weirdo degenerate polychain I had clean up
extra verices so I get fine clean 2 point polychains. Okey, I did it. Merged and all. But when I send it to Layout FFX crashes when I activate the guide mesh.
I will report it because it happens repetitively.

jburford
02-02-2013, 08:37 AM
I can't even launch 11.5. I am on Win XPPro and have never had a problem like this. Installed twice, with dongle, without, with Firewall, without, checked Firewall, permissions noted. I re-installed 11.03 successfully, runs fine. I FogBugz it, tried launching with the -0 option for no Hub, no difference. The hourglass flickers for two seconds but no action. Completely mystified??? Waiting for Tech Support to come up with a solution, nothing so far.
Paul

Probabay, that XP is not actually (officially) supported is from what I see.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/11-5_features_overview/

XP, is not listed at all, and actually think not officially since the 10.0 time.

lino.grandi
02-02-2013, 09:02 AM
I found a big fat bug. I did fibermesh in ZBrush, sent it via GoZ to modeler, but since it was a weirdo degenerate polychain I had clean up
extra verices so I get fine clean 2 point polychains. Okey, I did it. Merged and all. But when I send it to Layout FFX crashes when I activate the guide mesh.
I will report it because it happens repetitively.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133166-Discussion-thread-for-quot-LightWave-11-5-Has-Arrived-quot&p=1297495&viewfull=1#post1297495

Sensei
02-02-2013, 09:41 AM
you can see why this happens if you Undo the creation of a gear, its actually a script thats running apparently, that makes a gear spline then extrudes it, so during the extrude its messing up all other geometry on the layer.. Its actually like this in all other versions I believe. the gears.ls (and others) lscript file, if I recall. could probably be modified...

- WIll.

Report through fogbugz that they need to use undoGroupBegin() and undoGroupEnd()

Tobian
02-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Just got a weird bug..

Hit save scene.. Lightwave crashed, but the scene saved (over the scene) opened LW, and.... The model was in there, but the camera and light, and al their settings were reset to default! It was just a junk testing scene, but it sure made me nervous of using real scenes, as I've never had that kind of bug before. It may have been related to using DP sunsky, so I will see if an 11.5 version pops up in a few days.

Also, not so much a bug as a missmatch.. but the Dome light, using the HDR background mode.. Loaded an HDR, in the environment, set it to 'background' It works.. however 2 issues. The general luminosity does not match using the same HDR, used with radiosity. Also the dome only lights a 180 degree hemisphere, and can't be made to do 360 degrees (setting it to 180 degrees did nothing). Trying the same trick using DP's Dome light, set to use background, did (roughly) match the same ammount of luminance, and could be set to 360 degrees. Also Could it be possible to make the dome light align to +Y by default. it aligns to +z right now, which is irritating, though I can see why it might be useful also, most people are going to need it +y.

sadkkf
02-02-2013, 10:24 AM
AE link does not work at all. AE opens then closes. If AE is open, nothing happens. If I create a new comp (even called Default) nothing happens. If I send to LW nothing happens.

I've:

- checked the scripts box in AE preferences
- checked the path for AE in LW
- updated the path to layout.exe in AE
- copied the AEtoLW plugin to AE plugins folder
- had my camera selected in LW before sending to AE
- had my camera selected in AE before sending to LW
- gotten ready to drink heavily

Using Win 7x64 and CS6 with all the updates for both apps and OS.

Markc
02-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Paul
I can't even get it to Install 8/

Hieron
02-02-2013, 11:06 AM
AE link does not work at all. AE opens then closes. If AE is open, nothing happens. If I create a new comp (even called Default) nothing happens. If I send to LW nothing happens.

I've:

Do you force your configs into a non-permission c: drive based dir? (by using the -c syntax)

I had the same issue untill I let that habit go. Win7 and 8 do not like it and for some reason it now gives an issue. I suppose it is trying to write a temp file or something. Just let LW use the default users dir in documents dir..

Sensei
02-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I can't even get it to Install 8/

I would redownload file, to see whether it's corrupted during downloading..

prometheus
02-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I get chrashes a lot with dp sunsky, but that might be due to dp_sunsky itself since that is updated with some new stuff, have to verify against lw.11.
the crashes happens when I try to save scenes and only then, might be something with changing rotation of sunlight and then saving.

Michael

Jim M
02-02-2013, 12:16 PM
1. Models duplicating themselves into modeler layers from hub connection, but may have been version mismatch
2. Saved scene with some quirky Bullet constraint hacks, loaded scene, all objects were scaled in y by 0.001 ... then the screen 'popped' into place and all was well.
3. Occaisonal weirdness with layout modeler tools.

pretty strong release thus far though

chco2
02-02-2013, 12:25 PM
The AE interchange actually works really well.. Have no problems with it and was able to do some nice things very quickly.

Played around with 11.5 and haven't found much to complain, more to play and works pretty solidly so far.
Only thing I need to figure out is the flocking. Presets are gone and an instanced object will not confirm to its heading.. like it just floats in the direction the flock want it to go.. really weird..

Ow well.. back to work!

I've:

prometheus
02-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Regarding the crashes with dp_ sunsky..

I removed the dp_sunsky that was updated this year with some new stuff, and added the version before in to lightwave 11.5, and this works as it should..something
wrong with dp_sunsky update version when saving the scene.
Have to notify dpont.

Spinland
02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
In my installation I can't save FiberFX settings. I can import old ones I've saved in 11.0.3 but can't save new ones. The attempt just brings up the load dialog again.

(sent to Fogbugz)

Amurrell
02-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Happening here too. I can usually get one point chamfered , but no others on the same mesh without a crash. I get further using the normal preview mode, but if you over shoot your value interactively you won't be able to move back without the crash.

Another thing happens when I clear a scene in Layout, here's the pic...

Spinland
02-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I tried chamfer on a simple box (Mac 64 version). Selected all points, chamfer, worked fine. Then I selected all new points, did it again no problem. I then selected all the new points, and when I tried to chamfer them past each other is when I finally got Modeler to crash.

ON EDIT: this time I went back to a basic box, eight points selected and tried to see how far I could chamfer them. When the new points nearly touched in the middle is when Modeler crashed for me.

sadkkf
02-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Do you force your configs into a non-permission c: drive based dir? (by using the -c syntax)

I had the same issue untill I let that habit go. Win7 and 8 do not like it and for some reason it now gives an issue. I suppose it is trying to write a temp file or something. Just let LW use the default users dir in documents dir..

I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I see that too.

Tranimatronic
02-02-2013, 10:07 PM
subdivided plane-> press tab-> save. load into layout. surface editor-> edit nodes-> hook any noise into displacement and nothing happens
Win7

Are there any instructions on fogbugz anywhere ?

JamesCurtis
02-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Checking out the new Thicken tool in LW Modeler 11.5 and see a problem that has been an issue forever! When you create a simple cube and delete the top polygon creating an open ended box, and do a Thicken operation on this, you end up with a thickened box, but one with uneven side thickness top to bottom!! This shouldn't happen. Check pic for proof! Any chance this can be fixed?

jwiede
02-02-2013, 11:24 PM
ON EDIT: this time I went back to a basic box, eight points selected and tried to see how far I could chamfer them. When the new points nearly touched in the middle is when Modeler crashed for me.
Yep, this is 100% reproducible here, just chamfer past point of overlap with mouse move and eventually (usually within a second while adjusting with overlapping edges). Odd thing is that it doesn't happen instantly upon overlap, it takes a bit of adjustment to trigger the crash. Fogging shortly.

jwiede
02-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Checking out the new Thicken tool in LW Modeler 11.5 and see a problem that has been an issue forever! When you create a simple cube and delete the top polygon creating an open ended box, and do a Thicken operation on this, you end up with a thickened box, but one with uneven side thickness top to bottom!!
Confirmed here as well, the thicker the box the more pronounced the difference in angle between inside and outside edges. Definitely feels like a bug, new faces should be parallel to existing ones, I'll add it to my "to be fogged" list.

Silkrooster
02-03-2013, 01:02 AM

- WIll.
Makes sense I guess. I would think that lscript would have some type of command that can verify if objects exists on the current layer before running, but I certainly don't know enough about it to say one way or the other, so...

prometheus
02-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Checking out the new Thicken tool in LW Modeler 11.5 and see a problem that has been an issue forever! When you create a simple cube and delete the top polygon creating an open ended box, and do a Thicken operation on this, you end up with a thickened box, but one with uneven side thickness top to bottom!! This shouldn't happen. Check pic for proof! Any chance this can be fixed?

donīt get any issue here, If you use the contour algoritm, not normal.

Michael

geo_n
02-03-2013, 02:41 AM
This bug. Compositing Buffer export. NT please test and fix.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133252-Compositing-Buffer-export-and-multi-layer-exr

Andy Webb
02-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Happening here too. I can usually get one point chamfered , but no others on the same mesh without a crash. I get further using the normal preview mode, but if you over shoot your value interactively you won't be able to move back without the crash.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one with the Chamfer problem.

In my case I get the crash as soon as I try to do a point chamfer. I managed it once by moving the mouse really slowly, but any further adjustments caused the crash.

I have Fogged it, and sent a LW dump file. :thumbsup:

jwiede
02-03-2013, 05:09 AM
I see what you mean, you're correct that the "contour" algo setting does produce the "expected" result. However, I still see a problem with the normal-based algo in that the exterior faces' normals on the sides in the case described aren't parallel to those of the starting box's faces, which still seems like a bug to me. Are you saying the "normal" algo's results were "expected results" for you?

I'm not a fan of requiring the user to change settings to get the "typically-expected" result (and for me, they weren't), that's counter-intuitive and inefficient workflow -- if "contour" is the one that gives "expected" results, and "normal" the fallback whose results are less-than-expected, then "contour" should be the default, IMO.

prometheus
02-03-2013, 05:26 AM
I see what you mean, you're correct that the "contour" algo setting does produce the "expected" result. However, I still see a problem with the normal-based algo in that the exterior faces' normals on the sides in the case described aren't parallel to those of the starting box's faces, which still seems like a bug to me. Are you saying the "normal" algo's results were "expected results" for you?

I'm not a fan of requiring the user to change settings to get the "typically-expected" result (and for me, they weren't), that's counter-intuitive and inefficient workflow -- if "contour" is the one that gives "expected" results, and "normal" the fallback whose results are less-than-expected, then "contour" should be the default, IMO.

Yeah..I understand that POV, so you might be right, now...in the end it wont be a big issue if you know about it that is, and having contour checked, it will be default the next time without worries, but the principles of what we expect as results are comprimized here, so we might be better of with a proper explenation on whatīs going on here from someone who really knows the tools.

Michael

Andy Webb
02-03-2013, 07:37 AM
I've been trying out ABF UV unwrap, it works great, tried it on a mesh I had been struggling with to UV map and it worked no trouble.

One question though, why is the resulting UV map at an angle (in the UV viewport)?

Sanchon
02-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Colors of OGL instances preview is broken when preview mode is set to wireframe and more than one instance slot is active.

Amurrell
02-03-2013, 08:22 AM

I am actually not seeing this issue here. Just tried several times with predictable outcomes each time.

You may want to try switching between contour and normal algorithims in the numeric panel.

When in normal mode the error occurs, using contour it does not. Similar behavior in multishift as well. I usually stick with contour for most things.

Andy Webb
02-03-2013, 08:30 AM
No problems here with thicken either, works great for me.

Andy Webb
02-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Didn't read the post properly, yes I get the error but in Normal mode not Contour

Andy Webb
02-03-2013, 08:41 AM
In the addendum it does say Contour works best for Orthogonal geometry, so perhaps testing it on a box and set to Normal isn't the way to go.

kfinla
02-03-2013, 09:59 AM
I've done a bunch of tests with DOF, and the various MB settings and modes to see why I'm crashing.

I get an instant crash on OSX 10.6.8 with LW 11.5 Mac 64 when I try and use PHOTOREAL motion blur ... all others, classic, dithered etc seem fine. Haven't tried render scene, just render frame.

Jim M
02-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Repeatable FFX crash...

Add FFX to guides.
Edit Guides, Create Style.
Finsih edit.
Crash.

win7 x64

lino.grandi
02-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Repeatable FFX crash...

Add FFX to guides.
Finsih edit.
Crash.

win7 x64

Works fine here. Maybe a problem related to a specific object?

Kryslin
02-03-2013, 12:13 PM
So far, the only crashes I've had have been caused by a loose nut between the chair and the keyboard. :) I have noted some quirkiness with some 3rd party plugins - notably DPont's Channel Info Node and SunSky/SunLight/SkyLight, but nothing that can't be worked around. I've run the basic modeler tools - chamfer, thicken, heat shrink, line pen, slice through some basic tests, and they appear to be stable. FiberFX appears to be closer to duplicating the fur setup on one of my characters pretty closely now, and without the crashing of adding a clone of FFX to the object. Genoma appears to be an excellent tool, but kind of quirky; I'm getting object not found when converting from Genoma to Bones, and I suspect it has to do with my renaming segments so I can keep track of them. I might have a few suggestions Re: Genoma, but I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly before I make them, because the problem, as I stated, may be a loose nut between the chair and the keyboard... :)

lino.grandi
02-03-2013, 12:32 PM
S Genoma appears to be an excellent tool, but kind of quirky; I'm getting object not found when converting from Genoma to Bones, and I suspect it has to do with my renaming segments so I can keep track of them. I might have a few suggestions Re: Genoma, but I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly before I make them, because the problem, as I stated, may be a loose nut between the chair and the keyboard... :)

Did you follow Ben Vost's Genoma tutorial you can find in the docs? It should help a lot.

And renaming Skelegons in Genoma it's not a very good idea. ;) If you need to keep track of selections, please use Parts.

JamesCurtis
02-03-2013, 01:57 PM

Michael

There were two plugins available before this - Thicken and Thickener, and in both earlier plugins the nonparallel result was always evident. They did not have a setting change option, and it was the norm - forever. Glad to know about the new Contour setting, but it should be the normal setting as it would give the expected results. Either way, thanks for noting this.

Kryslin
02-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Did you follow Ben Vost's Genoma tutorial you can find in the docs? It should help a lot.

And renaming Skelegons in Genoma it's not a very good idea. ;) If you need to keep track of selections, please use Parts.

I'll be working through it this evening. As I thought, the main cause of the problem I was having was the loose nut between chair and keyboard. :)

Still, to be able to add a prefix to the segment for the subrigs would help keep names unique in layout, which would be my main suggestion, and somehow embed that in the connectors as things get assembled in modeler ... That way, for example, I can find char_a's rt arm in layout, because it would be labeled char_a_rt_(genoma subrig names). Parts don't carry over to layout(or do they now?) so using that to assign weights hasn't been an option (as far as I know, which may be in error). Or, does Genoma assign bone names based on the part name?

Lots to learn, lots to experiment with, lots of things to break...

Jim M
02-03-2013, 02:44 PM

Might be related to hub.

Switched hub off, no crash. But crash when changing kink value in styling after creating style in layout. Will further investigate.

Jim M
02-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Might be related to hub.

Switched hub off, no crash. Will further investigate.

[EDIT]
Confirm consistent crash with hub enabled.

lino.grandi
02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
There were two plugins available before this - Thicken and Thickener, and in both earlier plugins the nonparallel result was always evident. They did not have a setting change option, and it was the norm - forever. Glad to know about the new Contour setting, but it should be the normal setting as it would give the expected results. Either way, thanks for noting this.

It really depends on what you're working on. On very regular objects, contour works fine. But try a simple thing. Create a Ball, and deform it a little using DragNet or the Magnet tool. Then delete some polygons, and try Thicken in Contour mode. Shouldn't play so nice.

If you're working on organic shapes, you really may want Normal to be the default option.

What's cool is that the last used setting becomes your default one. So if you mainly work with very regular shapes, you can select Contour and be sure it will stay selected until you will not change it again! ;)

lino.grandi
02-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I'll be working through it this evening.

Great!

Still, to be able to add a prefix to the segment for the subrigs would help keep names unique in layout, which would be my main suggestion, and somehow embed that in the connectors as things get assembled in modeler ... That way, for example, I can find char_a's rt arm in layout, because it would be labeled char_a_rt_(genoma subrig names). Parts don't carry over to layout(or do they now?) so using that to assign weights hasn't been an option (as far as I know, which may be in error). Or, does Genoma assign bone names based on the part name?

You don't really need to work on bones in Layout when you're using Genoma. That's why the names are not important. You should assign the Weight Maps in Modeler, using the SetSkelegonWeight command (that's covered in the tutorial).

kfinla
02-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Can anyone else confirm the issue with photoreal MB in 11.5 OSX? I haven't tried different scenes yet to see if it is related to instances or flocking.

JamesCurtis
02-03-2013, 03:21 PM
It really depends on what you're working on. On very regular objects, contour works fine. But try a simple thing. Create a Ball, and deform it a little using DragNet or the Magnet tool. Then delete some polygons, and try Thicken in Contour mode. Shouldn't play so nice.

If you're working on organic shapes, you really may want Normal to be the default option.

What's cool is that the last used setting becomes your default one. So if you mainly work with very regular shapes, you can select Contour and be sure it will stay selected until you will not change it again! ;)

Thanks for the info!

evenflcw
02-03-2013, 04:02 PM
You don't really need to work on bones in Layout when you're using Genoma. That's why the names are not important.

Lino. I appreciate your input. Genoma is your beast after all and it's always interesting to hear from the designer himself. But these statements are inaccurate or your view of Genomas usage is less extensive than that of those trying to make use of it now! He is telling you he wants better naming of his bones - you must assume for a (good) reason. If bone names were unimportant no rigger would have ever bothered, yet I have never seen a (non-trivial) rig previously were no effort was spent on naming. It IS important when using the rig, extending the rig and referencing the rig. If you don't want users to animate directly on the bones (which I think you are implying), you hide and/or lock them, you don't simply give them nondescript names.

Jim M
02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
I see your point evenflcw, but if you extend the rig with Genoma then it isn't an issue. Though I agree with you.

jboudreau
02-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Thank goodness I'm not the only one with the Chamfer problem.

In my case I get the crash as soon as I try to do a point chamfer. I managed it once by moving the mouse really slowly, but any further adjustments caused the crash.

I have Fogged it, and sent a LW dump file. :thumbsup:

Hey Guys

Chamfer works perfectly here. No crash at all even if I chamfer past the points and back. I've even tried doing it by moving the mouse really fast and no crash

Sorry to hear you guys are getting a crash

Thanks,
Jason

Sensei
02-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Repeatable FFX crash...

Add FFX to guides.
Finsih edit.
Crash.

win7 x64

If it's so repeatable, make video using VirtualDub and attach with example object. Also take screen-shot of DETAIL Windows report, where is mentioned module DLL with offset where it really crashed. If it's not memory corruption, which is causing random crashes, this info is essential for professional programmer to learn where crash really happened. Knowing platform, build number, module name and offset, it's possible to find out which line of code crashed.

Info not just to you, Jim. To everybody experiencing any kind of crashes or bugs.

Telling "program crashed" might be such useless as telling "somebody in our city has flu" to doctors..
You need to specify who and where, to do something with it.

jwiede
02-03-2013, 10:59 PM
I see your point evenflcw, but if you extend the rig with Genoma then it isn't an issue. Though I agree with you.
If you look at the OP's issue, it's also about what happens with multiple characters, and after a bit of playing I can kind of see their point. Just imagine how either of the following situations play out (or better yet, go try, it's enlightening):

A) User wants to load a Genoma-rigged character twice (iow, two chars off same model & rig) in one scene yet retain easy ability to distinguish between the two.

B) User wants to load two separate Genoma-rigged characters that were made using similar Genoma components, and again retain easy ability to distinguish between the two.

Right now, it seems like identifying elements of individual characters in either case above will be pretty difficult, esp. if required to select elements by name from lists/drop-downs/whatever where hierarchy isn't necessarily clear. Having ability to add user-selected prefix to Genoma-generated names seems like it would be rather useful in scenes involving multiple Genoma-rigged characters.

himani
02-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Hi all - Having problems with Genoma - I add the the Mocap preset to my model, make adjustments in Modeler and save (object is 1 layer). Send object to layout, and in setup I click to make Genoma rig. Message below tells me I have made 108 bones (I think) then crashes and layout is gone.
I have used the simple arm rig with a cylinder (as in the presentation vid) and that comes in fine.
I'm on a 27" i7 iMac running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with 16 gig of ram. I have an almost identical machine at home and I get the same results (only difference is the home mac has 4 gig of ram).

OFF
02-03-2013, 11:41 PM
He is telling you he wants better naming of his bones - you must assume for a (good) reason. If bone names were unimportant no rigger would have ever bothered, yet I have never seen a (non-trivial) rig previously were no effort was spent on naming. It IS important when using the rig, extending the rig and referencing the rig. If you don't want users to animate directly on the bones (which I think you are implying), you hide and/or lock them, you don't simply give them nondescript names.
Agreed. If Genoma has not a good named hierarchical bones system it's will give some difficult to animator/rigger with thin settings of a characters (weights, influences, etc.)

jwiede
02-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Hi all - Having problems with Genoma - I add the the Mocap preset to my model, make adjustments in Modeler and save (object is 1 layer). Send object to layout, and in setup I click to make Genoma rig. Message below tells me I have made 108 bones (I think) then crashes and layout is gone.
I'm currently working on a bug report about fairly repeatable Layout crashes here on Mac creating Genoma rigs of even fairly small size (f.e. the Sugarcube_RIGGED object), if the viewport mode(s) are set to anything other than bounding box. The crash location in the crash report is consistent as well.

Setting all viewports to bounding box (as the docs suggest) seems to prevent the crash, and is a viable workaround, but regardless I feel the crash really needs to be addressed (caught as an error, at the least).

Jim M
02-04-2013, 02:09 AM
If it's so repeatable, make video using VirtualDub and attach with example object. Also take screen-shot of DETAIL Windows report, where is mentioned module DLL with offset where it really crashed. If it's not memory corruption, which is causing random crashes, this info is essential for professional programmer to learn where crash really happened. Knowing platform, build number, module name and offset, it's possible to find out which line of code crashed.

Info not just to you, Jim. To everybody experiencing any kind of crashes or bugs.

Telling "program crashed" might be such useless as telling "somebody in our city has flu" to doctors..
You need to specify who and where, to do something with it.

Ok Dad.
I already sent a detailed bug report.

evenflcw
02-04-2013, 02:45 AM
You are right JWiede. I did somewhat rudely repurpose his report to a related matter. Me not liking the default "dn" name on some bones. So it's both the prefixing and some of the infixing being wanted. Good clear examples given btw. :thumbsup:

erikals
02-04-2013, 02:46 AM
or... CamStudio Video Recorder >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFSf_QG5m0

evenflcw
02-04-2013, 02:46 AM
delete please!//double post because of 45min forum bug.

VermilionCat
02-04-2013, 02:48 AM
It seems 2 point polyline doesn't cast shadow anymore. Is this intentional?

erikals
02-04-2013, 03:04 AM
probably, i wouldn't want it to, not by default at least, as after all, it doesn't have a set thickness.

lino.grandi
02-04-2013, 03:48 AM
Lino. I appreciate your input. Genoma is your beast after all and it's always interesting to hear from the designer himself. But these statements are inaccurate or your view of Genomas usage is less extensive than that of those trying to make use of it now! He is telling you he wants better naming of his bones - you must assume for a (good) reason. If bone names were unimportant no rigger would have ever bothered, yet I have never seen a (non-trivial) rig previously were no effort was spent on naming. It IS important when using the rig, extending the rig and referencing the rig. If you don't want users to animate directly on the bones (which I think you are implying), you hide and/or lock them, you don't simply give them nondescript names.

What Genoma generates it's a rig with Nulls as controls. Bones stays visible, because a rigger may want to add something and further elaborate the rig, if needed. The function of a bone it's defined by its position in the hierarchy, not by its name. So if a rigger for example needs to add a constraint, he can simply select the bone to constraint and apply it. And why not, he can of course rename the bones he wants to use for specific tasks.

The modular nature of Genoma, implies that a subrig can have different functions, as the bones composing it.

If you look at the OP's issue, it's also about what happens with multiple characters, and after a bit of playing I can kind of see their point. Just imagine how either of the following situations play out (or better yet, go try, it's enlightening):

A) User wants to load a Genoma-rigged character twice (iow, two chars off same model & rig) in one scene yet retain easy ability to distinguish between the two.

The 2 rigs will be perfectly distinguishable. Everyone with his Master and separate hierarchies.

B) User wants to load two separate Genoma-rigged characters that were made using similar Genoma components, and again retain easy ability to distinguish between the two.

Again, I can't see the problem here.

Right now, it seems like identifying elements of individual characters in either case above will be pretty difficult, esp. if required to select elements by name from lists/drop-downs/whatever where hierarchy isn't necessarily clear. Having ability to add user-selected prefix to Genoma-generated names seems like it would be rather useful in scenes involving multiple Genoma-rigged characters.

I agree on this. More than user selected prefix, it could be the main mesh name (that already happens for the Master of the characters).

Agreed. If Genoma has not a good named hierarchical bones system it's will give some difficult to animator/rigger with thin settings of a characters (weights, influences, etc.)

Weight Maps should be assigned in Modeler when using Genoma, through the Set Skelegon Weight command (that means you have to select the skelegons which you want to assign the weight to and lunch the command).

I'm currently working on a bug report about fairly repeatable Layout crashes here on Mac creating Genoma rigs of even fairly small size (f.e. the Sugarcube_RIGGED object), if the viewport mode(s) are set to anything other than bounding box. The crash location in the crash report is consistent as well.

Setting all viewports to bounding box (as the docs suggest) seems to prevent the crash, and is a viable workaround, but regardless I feel the crash really needs to be addressed (caught as an error, at the least).

Yes, we're aware about this (as stated in several posts already), and looks like it's a Mac only issue. We have to look into that.

About Genoma and naming issues, for sure it can be improved under this point of view. But I've been using it in several productions (where I've used it to rig, and someone else to animate the characters) and it turned out to work pretty well.

It would be really great to share some real situations showing when bone names have an important role, how this is handled at the moment and if there are other ways to manage certain tasks and so on.

Spinland
02-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Lino,

I'm not one who worries about the bone names, but the names some of the controllers are assigned are somewhat cryptic. When I want to find a certain controller on the dope sheet, for example, I often have to select it in the viewport first to figure out what it's been called so I can find it. Some of the controllers have good, descriptive names but most do not seem to.

lino.grandi
02-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Lino,

I'm not one who worries about the bone names, but the names some of the controllers are assigned are somewhat cryptic. When I want to find a certain controller on the dope sheet, for example, I often have to select it in the viewport first to figure out what it's been called so I can find it. Some of the controllers have good, descriptive names but most do not seem to.

Yes, I understand. Truth is, that selecting controllers from the viewport could be a good advice (and of course creating selection sets that can be recalled when needed).
Again, the complex rigs are made of simple ones in Genoma. That means that a spine has been built using controllers that can be used to build a tail or a neck (or whatever) as well. Same applies to a hand. Proper naming it's something that can be done using a simple script in Layout once the rig has been definied, since the basic names will always been the same every time a rig it's created. ;)

Spinland
02-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Understood, and thanks. I do work from selecting in the viewport almost all of the time, my concern was when I want to go into the Dope Sheet after the fact and tweak key frames and things like that. I could also easily rename just the specific controllers I'm interested in once I know the rig is final, but it would be nice if I could do that in Modeler and have the names carry across. :)

Thanks again!

jet172
02-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Just hit F2 (Motion Mixer) in Layout - > Instant crash! Tested with 2 computers (Vista 64bit and W7 64bit).

Chris Jones
02-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Paul
I'm on XP Pro 32 bit, and can't launch either. It just brings up the LW crash reporter.

Probabay, that XP is not actually (officially) supported is from what I see.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/11-5_features_overview/

XP, is not listed at all, and actually think not officially since the 10.0 time.
The 11.5 addendum suggests that XP is supported, and 11.03 doesn't have this problem. Strangely it did work in Discovery mode after my first install, but since I took the dongle out in order to bring up the splash screen for licensing, it now won't launch even after 3 reinstalls + reboots.

lino.grandi
02-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Just hit F2 (Motion Mixer) in Layout - > Instant crash! Tested with 2 computers (Vista 64bit and W7 64bit).

No problems here (Win7 64 as well).

Didi you perform a fresh install?

50one
02-04-2013, 07:15 AM
I've got funny behaviour in modeler, when in edge mode and Using the slice tool, the marker is not where the mouse hovers, works fine in the polygon mode tho.

jet172
02-04-2013, 07:33 AM
No problems here (Win7 64 as well).

Didi you perform a fresh install?

Yes. This was fresh install of LW11.5.

I did delete my config files in C:\Users\MyComputer\.NewTek\LightWave\11.5 and then it did not crash any more. I assume there is some config issue. I will continue testing.

Kind regrars,
J

Jim M
02-04-2013, 07:42 AM
@jet172
I have a had a few issues which came from having 11.02 and 11.5 installed, running Layout 11.5 and Accidentally starting Modeler 11.02. After doing variations of that a couple of times, things went wrong.
Having the Hub running whilst having both these versions installed is a bad idea imo.

Bill Carey
02-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Hey Guys

Chamfer works perfectly here. No crash at all even if I chamfer past the points and back. I've even tried doing it by moving the mouse really fast and no crash

Sorry to hear you guys are getting a crash

Thanks,
Jason

What operating system? I'm having no problem with Win7 64, but have the chamfer crash on Win8 64.

Jim M
02-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Try chamfering a load of points on a divided plane. Crashes everytime. Win7

Spinland
02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Okay, ran into a big problem with flocking/instancing. Made a small flock of six butterfly objects set to follow a path, calculated the motions and everything looked good. Saved the scene and sent it to LWSN to render. No butterflies in the renders. Opened up the scene again and the calculated motions did not get saved, they instances would not move unless I recalculated motions. Tried to save and open again, all motions again lost.

Anyone else see this?

Kryslin
02-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Lino : Adding a user selected name, with mesh name as a default, is what I was aiming at. Unless something major has happened under Layout's hood, unless names are unique across a scene, things have a tendency, to quote RH, "To go horribly wrong." The point of having unique names and a concise naming system, has been drilled into me by several people, to help eliminate a possible source of problems and confusion. I'm perfectly clear on the point that I can go in and rename things in Layout after the rig has been generated, with the caveat that I'm going to have to do so again and again if I change the rig. Modeler's interface is somewhat more... muddled. Usable, but muddled.

Even if the names of bones generated by Genoma is a non-issue, the interface does need a little work. For instance - Skelegon Tree. Selecting a skelegon in the tree view should select it's element in the viewport. Renaming of Genoma components could be locked off, or names assigned to the "Part" instead of the tag the skelegon used to store it's name info, since such is required by Genoma to do its stuff. This would make assigning weights a bit easier as well. Yes, the whole select, assign weight, navigate to next component, repeat workflow works. It could work better, though, Skelegon Tree has the there for a one stop select / assign tool. (as an aside, I do have select child/parent skelegons hot keyed to ctrl-down/ctrl-up), which saves some time).

Oh, well. I'll be quiet now, and play with my new toys. :)

jet172
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes. This was fresh install of LW11.5.

I did delete my config files in C:\Users\MyComputer\.NewTek\LightWave\11.5 and then it did not crash any more. I assume there is some config issue. I will continue testing.

Kind regrars,
J

This is really wierd! Opening the Motion Mixer window does not crash LW11.5 any more on the other machine where I did NOT delete the config files!

I have LW 11 installed on both machines, but I have not started it after installing 11.5.

lino.grandi
02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Lino : Adding a user selected name, with mesh name as a default, is what I was aiming at. Unless something major has happened under Layout's hood, unless names are unique across a scene, things have a tendency, to quote RH, "To go horribly wrong."

That may happen if you're using expressions. You can create a Genoma rig, and use Load Items From Scene as many times as you like with no problems at all. In Genoma, no math expressions are used, just to prevent things "To go horribly wrong". If you need to add math expressions to your rig, you will have to do that in Layout. And any name you're going to use, you will have to change both the names and the expressions if you're going to have the same rig repeated in the same scene.

The point of having unique names and a concise naming system, has been drilled into me by several people, to help eliminate a possible source of problems and confusion. I'm perfectly clear on the point that I can go in and rename things in Layout after the rig has been generated, with the caveat that I'm going to have to do so again and again if I change the rig. Modeler's interface is somewhat more... muddled. Usable, but muddled.

Even if the names of bones generated by Genoma is a non-issue, the interface does need a little work. For instance - Skelegon Tree. Selecting a skelegon in the tree view should select it's element in the viewport. Renaming of Genoma components could be locked off, or names assigned to the "Part" instead of the tag the skelegon used to store it's name info, since such is required by Genoma to do its stuff. This would make assigning weights a bit easier as well. Yes, the whole select, assign weight, navigate to next component, repeat workflow works. It could work better, though, Skelegon Tree has the there for a one stop select / assign tool. (as an aside, I do have select child/parent skelegons hot keyed to ctrl-down/ctrl-up), which saves some time).

Oh, well. I'll be quiet now, and play with my new toys. :)

The Skelegon Tree is not part of Genoma. It's so old. It should not be used at all imho, the viewport it's there for all the operations, from selecting to welding, copy/pasting, mirroring and so on.

To assign weight maps the best way it's to use the Set Skelegon Weight tool. And assigning weights using it, even on complex meshes it's really easy.

Uisng parts instead of names it's not possible, due to how Genoma is working internally. What can be done is to assign to all the bones and the controls the name of the mesh as prefix...that should not be a problem, and something I could work on relatively soon.

Videos about Genoma are coming, and will show what I think it's the best workflow to use it...and will probably change some point of views about things that may seem needed, and maybe are not. ;)

lino.grandi
02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Okay, ran into a big problem with flocking/instancing. Made a small flock of six butterfly objects set to follow a path, calculated the motions and everything looked good. Saved the scene and sent it to LWSN to render. No butterflies in the renders. Opened up the scene again and the calculated motions did not get saved, they instances would not move unless I recalculated motions. Tried to save and open again, all motions again lost.

Anyone else see this?

Did you save the Flocking cache as well?

Spinland
02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Did you save the Flocking cache as well?

I confess I was not aware a second explicit save were necessary, I assumed all of that was saved with the scene file save. in my defense the documentation doesn't seem to address that. :)

Thanks!

ON EDIT: that did the trick, and I'm back to being able to use LWSN. Thanks again!

phillydee
02-04-2013, 05:18 PM
In LW11 (not sure about 10.x), I was able to create a default scene (named, "default.lws"... smart!) within my current content directory scenes folder with a basic template/scene setup for that particular project. This was extremely handy as I was able to load project defaults based on the content directory, light setups, default layout preferences etc.

I've been trying to do this in LW11.5, but so far I've been un-successful. Am I missing something--a toggle somewhere that I haven't seen before?

EDIT: ugh. I hate getting older. It was under Preferences>Gen>"Clear Scene to Default"...

aperezg
02-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Colors of OGL instances preview is broken when preview mode is set to wireframe and more than one instance slot is active.

Yep

erikals
02-04-2013, 05:28 PM
CA newbie here, but isn't Auto Bone Weight the easiest way to assign weights to Skelegons?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjm52B1Oqkg

instead of Set Skelegon Weight i mean... ?

lino.grandi
02-05-2013, 02:36 AM
CA newbie here, but isn't Auto Bone Weight the easiest way to assign weights to Skelegons?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjm52B1Oqkg

instead of Set Skelegon Weight i mean... ?

It's a way. But you really need control when you paint and assign weights, that's why it's something that should be done by the user. We need to implement some smarter methods to weight a model in LightWave.

Sensei
02-05-2013, 02:39 AM
It's a way. But you really need control when you paint and assign weights, that's why it's something that should be done by the user. We need to implement some smarter methods to weight a model in LightWave.

If you would simply make Node Editor for bones instead of plain weight map drop-down,
anybody could paint it using mine AutoUpdateImages plugin in Photoshop..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1X5aunTTic

lino.grandi
02-05-2013, 02:56 AM
If you would simply make Node Editor for bones instead of plain weight map drop-down,
anybody could paint it using mine AutoUpdateImages plugin in Photoshop..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1X5aunTTic

LightWave deformation system will be improved for sure.

But using a bitmap to define bone weights it's not a great solution. Weight values are stored in vertex maps, and that's cool for me.

erikals
02-05-2013, 03:22 AM
this is a nice plugin btw >

Lightwave plugin - Normalize Weight Maps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFu3XdJd7PM

Sensei
02-05-2013, 03:28 AM
Not great if it would be done while calculating deformations.
But think about it - this way user could generate it optionally in fly f.e. take one weight map, mix with another, mix with envelope, pass through gradient, plug image node, etc. etc.
This is just a matter of doing one loop

for( int i = 0; i < point_count; i++ )
{
object->point[ i ]->Weight = object->calculate_weight( i );
}

Once per object during adding/loading object, or once per frame.
So it won't be seriously slowing down.

Or expose in LWSDK function that will override weight map for bones. So I will write such plugin.
That's job for 20 minutes to expose it.

Stop thinking obsolete way - everything must be editable through nodes.

Sanchon
02-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Modeler snapping completely doesn't work in situation when points or polygons edges are exactly overlaping itself in orthogonal viewports. For example - make box, remove all polygons but leave one side. Snapping will not work in top view.

This limits snapping usage in architectural work - snapping walls to each other for example. LwCad snapping possibility is better at this point.

Kryslin
02-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Finally worked through the Genoma tutorial, and discovered most of my initial problems were indeed caused by the loose nut between chair and keyboard. :) The generated rig's not one I'm used to, but I can live with it.

Surprisingly, LWCAD's move snap and scale snap were exceedingly useful in getting things lined up in Genoma (Rotate Snap, not so much).

Now, onto bigger, meaner meshes to Genoma-ize (Daz' Melody, and one of my own).

djwaterman
02-05-2013, 11:53 PM
When I go to Help, I just get the content and index menu with nothing in it, like an empty shell of a directory. Has it not been written yet? Anyway I'm trying to work out how to change the sketch color of my object since that command is no longer located under the detail tab.

bazsa73
02-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Does anyone experienced that parts/materials embedded into an OBJ doesn't carry over to ZB. As I understood parts should be seen in ZBrush as polygroups.

BokadCastle
02-06-2013, 12:51 AM
When I go to Help, I just get the content and index menu with nothing in it, like an empty shell of a directory. Has it not been written yet? Anyway I'm trying to work out how to change the sketch color of my object since that command is no longer located under the detail tab.

Probably your default browser has changed recently. Change it back - nothing to do with 11.5

VermilionCat
02-06-2013, 01:25 AM
It seems 2 point polyline doesn't cast shadow anymore. Is this intentional?

Found out you can render physically correct geometry with negative value, which it excellent!

Does anyone experienced that parts/materials embedded into an OBJ doesn't carry over to ZB. As I understood parts should be seen in ZBrush as polygroups.

I believe ZB sees LW surfaces as parts since LW11.

bazsa73
02-06-2013, 02:38 AM
materials are working, true. But not with parts.

dee
02-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Is it just me or have we lost VPR updating when switching Texture Editor layers off or on?
- in Lyout go to Modeler Tools and make a cube
- open the color channel Texture Editor
- make first layer a procedural texture, Turbulence is fine, make Texture Color black (just for visual purpose)
- add a layer, make it procedural, select Crumple
- now turn on VPR and uncheck one of the layers - nothing happens in VPR unless you drag the timeline or click inside the viewport. Works fine in 11.0.2.

Cany anyone confirm?

System Information:
Operating System: Win 7 64Bit German
CPU Type: Intel Core I7-875, 3.2GHz
Number of CPUs: 1 QuadCore
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 660TI 2GB
Display Driver Version: 310.90
Lightwave 11.5 64bit

Sensei
02-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Is it just me or have we lost VPR updating when switching Texture Editor layers off or on?

You're right. I see it too.

Sanchon
02-07-2013, 06:14 AM

Confirmed. Switching on/off doesn't refresh VPR. Assign "Refresh Items and Viewports Immediately" command to key shortcut that I have and after crucial changes in Node editor or surfacing do refresh by self.

dee
02-07-2013, 06:15 AM
Thanks Sensei and Sanchon, I'll fill a bug report.

jet172
02-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Here is more info about the crash when MotionMixer was opened with LW 11.5 build 2519 (win64):

Feb. 4th 2013: Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Layout.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 51059b35
Fault Module Name: MotionMixer.p
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 51059ef6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000027b70
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
Locale ID: 1035
Additional Information 1: 5c66
Additional Information 2: 393912f6d4025c1f05f744050497bad1
Additional Information 3: e833
Additional Information 4: b4bbc9e405889e728fa38083450744b1

Version.txt
Windows NT Version 6.0 Build: 6002 Service Pack 2
Product (0x6): Windows Vista (TM) Business
Edition: Business
BuildString: 6002.18686.amd64fre.vistasp2_gdr.120824-0336
Flavor: Multiprocessor Free
Architecture: X64
LCID: 1033

Sensei
02-10-2013, 03:15 AM
Do you had LW v11.x hub running when this happened?
Shut down any hub
Then try again.

Thomas Helzle
02-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Ok, just to add it to the (hopefully) correct thread as well:

- Tons of Modeller crashes when CTRL-C polygons. Basically every 5 minutes I crash Modeller with this. I iterate through some Knob-Designs for a VST-Instrument, so I use this a lot to copy a copy to a new layer. Not sure if CC-Subdivs/Weights make it worse?

- Hub is as unusable as the automatic sync. Both don't work really reliable and I've destroyed some work with this already (as I did in the past).
Is there a way to disable anything automatic completely?
Right now I open and close either Modeller or Layout every time so I can be sure my work will not get borked.
What I would basically prefer is a button in Layout and Modeller to "Reload Selected" when I want to.
Or a requester like in some Text tools: "File was changed externally, do you want to update it?".

- Related to the above: the slightest change in Modeller to an object crashes Layout with VPR active (Hub is off).
(Sure I can switch it off each time by hand but there is just too many such things in LW you have to keep track off)
I don't know if it is related to my use of Instances?

- I don't see the orange snapping options in the new modeller tools. Setting the GraphicsCard to non-Antialliased didn't help.

- Most of the time I can't grab the Transform tool Gizmo handles. They seem to be "behind" the object more often than not.

Any hints on how to work around the problems are welcome!

Cheers,

Tom

Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit, LW 11.5 64 Bit.

dee
02-11-2013, 05:03 AM
- Hub is as unusable as the automatic sync. Both don't work really reliable and I've destroyed some work with this already (as I did in the past).
Is there a way to disable anything automatic completely?

Put a -i in your LW icon like so: "<YourPath>\Layout.exe -0 -i"

Thomas Helzle
02-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Thanks again dee! :-)
It's been a while since I last used LW...

Cheers,

Tom

jwiede
02-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Well, I can't get the "new"/"non-Hub" automatic updating to pick up changes in Layout after saving in Modeler. If, for example, I change surface settings in Modeler and resave the LWO (checking in Finder to see the LWO's mod date change), the same object in Layout doesn't change -- either the update isn't detected, or isn't reloading the object properly.

At this point, I'd actually prefer a manual "reload object(s)" button/command and/or an "object has changed, reload?" dialog, as Tom suggests. Until unification, heck, I'd settle for just getting the Hub stable again.

jwiede
02-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Put a -i in your LW icon like so: "<YourPath>\Layout.exe -0 -i"
If the automatics are turned off, how do you force Layout to reload an object, use "Replace" and select the same object? Doesn't that lose object settings?

UnCommonGrafx
02-12-2013, 04:16 AM
Ten macs, 23", 2 - 27" and a powermac, running 11.5 in a lab. LWCAD, too.

Biggest complaints:
- On the powermac, prefs and plugins are lost often. I run as an administrator so permissions ought not be a problem;
- On one or more machines, using the Logo, or other font-processing tool, crashes modeler;
- Networking macs is no where near as cost effective as a wintel box. (personal gripe, yes! Not an issue with 11.5.):)

We are experiencing random crashes but no showstoppers.

I, too, would have to get in on the, "Send it down a crash-catch pipe" bandwagon, in that trappings of these crashes would be angst savers, to say the least: losing work to these known crashes when in the flow of creation is quite the hamper.

Today I lecture on rigging with Genoma using Morfi. What an excellent character for practicing with some of the goodness of 11.5. That antennae is so cool with a deforming body.

Thomas Helzle
02-12-2013, 04:44 AM
Yeah, I wonder how complicated it would be to write a script that does:

- "Reload current object" (including all layers!)
- "Reload all objects"

Both in Modeller and Layout. Basically what we can do with images in Image Editor.

Is that possible with the SDK?

Related to that:
I think I would kill for a unified scene format that contains all scene and objects.
While I can see the benefits of the separation up to a point, I got so used to just saving a scene and being sure that I can open it later and have everything in the state it was in when I saved it, like in basically every other software on the market.
That's actually been my main problem with Lightwave from day one (5.5/5.6). You have to be waaaaaay too careful to not overwrite something in an object used by multiple scenes.
But I guess this will not happen before an Unification of the whole thing, which I can't see happen anytime soon...
I think I have way less problems with the separation of the two apps (It has it's merits) than with the separation of scene and objects where so many object settings reside in the scene and there is still no clever way of saving in a consistent, secure way, even with the improved save dialog and all the workarounds invented so far.

I could for instance imagine a special scene save that would (selectable as a preference) save all objects in a subfolder with the same name as the current scene, so you would never have to do that by hand and could be sure that the state of each scene would be perfectly kept the way it was intended.
Many Audio Software Applications work that way: One Folder per Song with subfolders for the elements used.

Doesn't solve the sync between Layout and Modeller but would make my life so much easier.

Cheers,

Tom

50one
02-12-2013, 06:42 AM

Could anyone test out this scene for me please? For some reason I cannot preview in any other mode than in vertices. Object appear to stay in the sme place during render too..Just change the cube to static and the balls column to 'parts' and run sim.

Thanks!

50one
02-12-2013, 06:47 AM
...Oh wait! got it. Subdivision needs to be switched OFF :)

dee
02-12-2013, 09:41 AM
If the automatics are turned off, how do you force Layout to reload an object, use "Replace" and select the same object? Doesn't that lose object settings?

Sure it does.

I could for instance imagine a special scene save that would (selectable as a preference) save all objects in a subfolder with the same name as the current scene, so you would never have to do that by hand and could be sure that the state of each scene would be perfectly kept the way it was intended.

That's what Package Scene does.

Thomas Helzle
02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
dee - thanks another time! :-)

I'll give Package Scene a try.
Is it reliable? I remember Content Manager giving me quite some grieve back in the days.

Would you know if I can use the main image folder in a project and just copy everything else to specific subfolders? Would that work if I set the image path in PS to the root image folder? I see that this option exists for image sequences, but not for normal images. I wouldn't need to duplicate the textures.

If that should work, it would solve half of my problems - cool!
Thanks for shoehorning me back into Lightwave :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Just tried it and it seems to work. Not exactly as I would do it but better than everything else I've found so far - Cool :-)

dee
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Glad I could help. :)

oxicus
02-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Ive been running into an issue with instancing. Im trying to make a tree by instancing a card with a leaf image on it and it crashes when I try to render. Ive narrowed it down to it crashing only when I use a distance to object (or x,y,z object) gradient. All other gradients work.

oxicus
02-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Just installed 11.0.3, works perfectly. Looks like theres something in 11.5 thats fubar...

evolross
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
It may have already been mentioned in this thread (unfortunately the above "search thread" functionality is broken - keeps defaulting to the advanced search page - ugh... this forum now :bangwall:), but sending cameras and nulls to After Effects is broken if you use a special character in the name of the camera or null (e.g. "++someNull++"). I fogged it.

Arrogoth
02-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Have MAJOR selection performance drops in Modeler in 11.5. Suppose something with video drivers. I run dual AMD Radeon HD 7800, non-crosfired. I ve updated the drivers, tried older ones, clean installs -- no help. Older Lightwave version selection tools just fly, while the 11.5 is veeery slow at selecting/deselecting through the viewports. Missing many polygons. Loop selection is just rrrrruuuuunnninnnngggg around the object... Operations with geometry itself works fine and fast. Just the selection process. Both polys, ponts and edges. Anyone has encountered such issues?

prometheus
02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Confirmed. Switching on/off doesn't refresh VPR. Assign "Refresh Items and Viewports Immediately" command to key shortcut that I have and after crucial changes in Node editor or surfacing do refresh by self.

I have issues with the texture editor on several places, try using a divided object with subpatch for letīs say a rock, add a displacement on the objects deform tab, add another one different procedural and additive for example, turning off which ever layer bottom or top doesnt even update in open gl.

Simply put texture editor on and of layer isnīt recognized somewhere when updated with on off and is very appaerant not showing up in open gl when using displacement..have to invert layer or do changes in layer to see changes, but you canīt see each layer by themself by unchecking and checking only.

This works as it should in Lightwave 11.03

Michael

jeromedeverite
02-14-2013, 10:58 AM
this a 9.6 scene, never have any problems with it.
obviously 11.5 don't like accent on word :D

JamesCurtis
02-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't that be considered "special characters"?

aperezg
02-14-2013, 07:52 PM
LW 11.5 Negative light not work on Mac.:grumpy: :grumpy:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133611-LW-11-5-Negative-light-not-work

Airwaves
02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
I have a question that is probably my inexperience but ever since I updated to 11.5 every time I open a scene it asks to find a .cache. I just click no and I think it does not matter but does anyone know what I am doing wrong or anyone else experience this too?