PDA

View Full Version : AMD or P4?

Clifton
11-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Which processor type is the best for Lightwave? AMD or Pentium4? How important is the video card?

I am looking to buy about 20 computers for a Computer-Design classroom but I cant spend HEAPS on rendering machines... Can anyone give me an idea of the best buget machines I can get for a classroom like this?

hrgiger
11-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Well, last time I had heard, the pentium 4 was held a little more support from Newtek as far as optimization in Lightwave. That was a while back so I don't know if it's changed since then. However, you really can't go wrong with AMD either as they're generally less expensive with not a huge performance difference. EDIT: I can't speak for the newest AMD processors or the 64bit chip.

The video card is useful in Lightwave as far as interactivity goes but I would caution you not to go too crazy overboard on it....That is, unless price is no issue. Any NVidia GeForce card will serve you well and it's honestly the best card for the price. You can get some high end graphic cards but you're now talking at least $500 and more often above. I honestly think that Lightwave needs a little better optimization of their Open GL before I'd get a super nice video card. Spend your money on a better processor or more RAM.

diablo1000000
11-05-2003, 08:32 AM
I have to say, since I upgraded from my Intel P3 to a AMDXP2100 I wish I'd put some more cash up and got a Intel P4.

The AMD just seems sluggish and rough around the edges, I can't say I'm too impressed.

Perhaps it's because I'm using Win2000 and the AMD is optimised for XP? But a fast processor should be speedy regardless.... :confused:

Oh well, I'll be sticking with Intel next time!

T x

Chris Partridge
11-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by diablo1000000
I have to say, since I upgraded from my Intel P3 to a AMDXP2100 I wish I'd put some more cash up and got a Intel P4.

The AMD just seems sluggish and rough around the edges, I can't say I'm too impressed.

Perhaps it's because I'm using Win2000 and the AMD is optimised for XP? But a fast processor should be speedy regardless.... :confused:

Oh well, I'll be sticking with Intel next time!

T x

Don't be fooled by the "Athlon XP" being somehow optimised for XP -- it's a myth and nothing more than a clever marketing ploy.

I have the same processor as yours and I tried to render an animation the other night with all the bells and whistles (High AA, Radiosity ON, D1 PAL, two lights, depth of field, etc..) and to render one frame it took 4 hours 52 mins.

I know the P4 won't dramatically cut that but it should help because the later P4s (2.4C 800MHz speed ones) are pretty fast. Critically, Lightwave is highly optimised for the SSE2 instructions in the P4 chips.

I'm wanting to buy a 3.2GHz P4 soon (wife permitting). That is a good chip. I have also been tinkering with the idea of a dual Xeon set up...lots of things to think about :)

Red_Oddity
11-06-2003, 02:09 AM
For LW, spend the cash on a Pentium/Xeon, sorry to say, because i really like the Athons (cheap, fast overall, cheap)...

Don't know if FX51 or the Athlon 64 has SSE2, then again, those are a little expensive and hard to come by...

mattclary
11-07-2003, 01:46 PM
I agree with red_oddity. I run a P4 because it renders faster than an AMD chip. I like AMD a lot, unfortunately, the XPs didn't include SSE2. By the way, the new AMD chips (64bit) do include SSE2.

Rei
11-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
I agree with red_oddity. I run a P4 because it renders faster than an AMD chip. I like AMD a lot, unfortunately, the XPs didn't include SSE2. By the way, the new AMD chips (64bit) do include SSE2.

wooo, 1 or 4 AMD 64's coming up!

I would recomend AMD's for gaming only really, Intel have the edge of being a bigger company for profecional work (sp!)

Beamtracer
11-10-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Rei
Intel have the edge of being a bigger company for profecional work (sp!) Being a bigger company doesn't make Intel better. AMD can compare with Intel performance, even without optimization.

Now, imagine if Newtek added optimization in Lightwave 8 for non-Intel processors!

Thalaxis
11-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Being a bigger company doesn't make Intel better. AMD can compare with Intel performance, even without optimization.

SSE2 on the Opteron seems to have made quite a difference.

Now, imagine if Newtek added optimization in Lightwave 8 for non-Intel processors!

Let's hope so! Of course there is a limitation that is out of
NewTek's hands, which is the compilers; without those, NewTek's
options for optimizing are probably somewhat limited.

sbrandt
11-15-2003, 07:13 PM
...I'd like to see, are some comments and spec info from people who have started using the new AMD Hammer chips and Motherboards. Especially the new Tyan and Asus boards.

.....Anybody.....???

BeeVee
11-17-2003, 01:55 AM
Although operations on SSE2-enabled processors are notably faster for certain things, like raytracing, AMD processors, of comparable speeds, are still faster for HyperVoxels! :) Have a look at the Blanos site for benchmark tests of LightWave - http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/

B

Lexxiam
11-20-2003, 01:21 AM
P4 2533 1Gb DDR- 3min 22 sec

Athlon (Barton) 2500+ 1Gb DDR - 2min 49 sec

Lexxiam
11-20-2003, 01:23 AM
P4 2533 1Gb DDR- 3min 22 sec

Athlon (Barton) 2500+ 1Gb DDR - 2min 49 sec

HyperVoxels used for flame

BeeVee
11-20-2003, 02:11 AM
There you go! Proof if proof be need be...

B

sinbad
11-21-2003, 07:47 AM
None of this matters...

The 64 bit processor is here.

The word "pentium" is now meaningless.

Await a new load of fancy words followed by numbers (like athlon 64 FX-51...wooooooo) which trashed the latest greatest pentium 1gizillion Ghz. We dont even have a true 64 bit OS yet for the PC, so It was running in 32 bit mode.

To put this in perspective, when we went from 16 bit to 32 bit was between 386 to 486, in 1985.

Things will no longer be measured by Ghz. I think.

Paul

Red_Oddity
11-21-2003, 10:25 AM
GHz???? whazzat?

I calculate processor speeds in coffee breaks...:D

KillMe
11-21-2003, 03:20 PM
i'm certainly thinking in terms of opteron's for my new workstation

we might not have the operating system yet but the chips still seem damned fast to me

Przylga
12-02-2003, 02:04 PM
:D Motorola 68000 :D

Alec Trevelyan
12-02-2003, 03:27 PM
definitely P4 here...and lovin every second of it!:D