PDA

View Full Version : How's 11.5 on Mac

Tony3d
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
So, has anyone tried 11.5 on Mountain Lion yet? I'm n the middle of a job, and don't think it would be smart to install it right now?

Spinland
01-31-2013, 07:39 PM
For what it's worth, installed it on both my Mt Lion machines and it was seamless. And the default is to make a new folder under your Applications/Newtek folder anyway, so the old install will be there untouched.

Tony3d
01-31-2013, 07:48 PM
what about the config files? If I run 11.03 does it use those configs, or 11.5's, and visa versa?

Spinland
01-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Every version makes its own folder for configs, too. I have three versions coexisting peacefully on one of my macs.

Tony3d
01-31-2013, 08:08 PM
so it will install into a new folder for 11.5 inside my Newtek folder where 11.03 exists correct?

jwiede
01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
So far finding Modeler (GLSL) perspective view rotation is horrible, a slideshow, meanwhile in multitexture it's smooth -- using Rogue State Dragon object as example. Default GL settings aside from switching from multitexture to GLSL, textured wire display in perspective. This is with a 12core/24thread MacPro and ATI HD5770 graphics (10.8.2, 32GB RAM), so no slouch in either dept yet perf seems like a huge drop from previously. I know it's supposed to be "better" with multitexture but this level of difference is ridiculous, GLSL shouldn't be this much slower, it's all but unusable and the Rogue State dragon isn't that heavy.

I've now played with the settings quite a bit to no avail, something definitely seems borked with GLSL draw perf in 11.5 on Mac (at least in 10.8) in Modeler. Here's hoping for a quick fix, will fog it shortly.

Tony3d
01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
So far finding Modeler (GLSL) perspective view rotation is horrible, a slideshow, meanwhile in multitexture it's smooth -- using Rogue State Dragon object as example. Default GL settings aside from switching from multitexture to GLSL, textured wire display in perspective. This is with a 12core/24thread MacPro and ATI HD5770 graphics (10.8.2, 32GB RAM), so no slouch in either dept yet perf seems like a huge drop from previously. I know it's supposed to be "better" with multitexture but this level of difference is ridiculous, GLSL shouldn't be this much slower, it's all but unusable and the Rogue State dragon isn't that heavy.

Tell me you joking right? Why does Newtek even bother with the Mac?

jwiede
01-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Tell me you joking right? Why does Newtek even bother with the Mac?
Well, I think that reaction might be a bit extreme, but I agree that it's definitely a frustrating situation. Modeler's GLSL draw perf on Mac really couldn't afford to get worse (it was already rather sub-par IMO), so this was definitely an unwelcome early impression. I haven't even had a chance to dig into the new Modeler tools yet, hopefully they'll mitigate some of the sting of running into this right off the bat.

On the plus side, the Fast Preview mode available in the new tools seems unbothered with GLSL drawing, providing similar smooth behavior as with multitexture drawing -- kind of odd that GLSL only seems to have problems with view ops (at least so far).

Tony3d
01-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Well, I think that reaction might be a bit extreme, but I agree that it's definitely a frustrating situation. Modeler's GLSL draw perf on Mac really couldn't afford to get worse (it was already rather sub-par IMO), so this was definitely an unwelcome early impression. I haven't even had a chance to dig into the new Modeler tools yet, hopefully they'll mitigate some of the sting of running into this right off the bat.

can you try thickener? Just wondering how interactive it is. How do you like your Mac Pro? I have a new 3.06 12 core, and really like it.

Spinland
02-01-2013, 06:06 AM
so it will install into a new folder for 11.5 inside my Newtek folder where 11.03 exists correct?

By default LW installs each version of the app in a different folder under /Applications/Newtek, and the configs for each version in a separate folder under your ~/Library/Application Support/Newtek folder. You don't have to do anything extra.

Markc
02-02-2013, 06:16 AM
The Mac Installer doesn't work on my machine!
It asks for administrator password then nothing happens.
Console report says 'Failed to create CSSymbolicatorRef for osx-intel'

CaptainMarlowe
02-02-2013, 10:20 AM
OK, besides the GSGL problem, I found that Modeler was quite good (but I work with MTS and have no specific need for GSGL). I like the new tools. Thickener and heatshrink are very easy to use. Chamfer is interesting also.
It does work quite right, even on my macbook air !
So unless you absolutely need to use gsgl in modeler, you can just use MTS and have fun. I have a late 2009 i7 iMac on 10.8.2

3dworks
02-03-2013, 09:17 AM
maybe try to fix permissions before installing could help?

i don't get why NT still uses an installer instead of a mac friendly drag and drop installation for LW. the installer does not work together with default folder and forces you to navigate to your custom folder each time.

have had myself a lot of permissions issues after installing to a custom application folder here, even after having fixed permissions before installation. i could fix layout and modeler startup crashes only by recursively assigning read+write user accesses to all the LW folder content. to do so, select 'info' for lightwave folder, enter your user password to change permissions, add your user name to the list of users, set the permissions to r+w, check the popup menu to assign to all enclosed items...

kfinla
02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
I've done a bunch of tests with DOF, and the various MB settings and modes.

I get an instant crash on OSX 10.6.8 with LW 11.5 Mac 64 when I try and use PHOTOREAL motion blur ... all others, classic, dithered etc seem fine. Haven't tried render scene, just render frame.

Meshman
02-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Testing VPR MB using instances. VPR won't consistently display motion blur for animated instances. I've got it to work twice but can't repeat. Here's a simple test using a motion path to move instances. Larger center clone object shows MB, while instances do not. Renders fine.

Iaian7
02-04-2013, 10:33 AM
I had several fatal crashes just in the first 6 hours of using it, though old familiar crashes (such as with viper) seem to be fixed, so in the end it's probably about the same as 11.0.3 in terms of stability.

Unfortunately a lot of things don't seem to work as smoothly as they should. Judging from my first attempts, cloth simulations in Bullet just end up scrambling the geometry (regardless of settings - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but the simulation setup was so incredibly simple, I'm not sure what could be going wrong), and AE Link doesn't work at all (the manual describes settings and preferences that don't even appear for me in LW).

Looking forward to 11.5.1 :(

3DGFXStudios
02-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Creating a genoma rig crashed my layout on mac and I had some trouble opening the dynamics demo scenes. The models looked deformed and there was no dynamic stuff going on.

Tony3d
02-05-2013, 09:46 AM
That sucks.

4dartist
02-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I have it running on 3 machines. 2 of them are rendering non-stop in Mtn Lion. They are solid, no crashes yet and putting out frames fine. I usually am rendering on 2 copies of LW at once on each of the machines.

My workstation, running 11.5 on Lion, is going good. I've had a few random exit crashes and general crashes, but nothing too bad, in general I'd call it 'stable'. What new features I have used worked really well with the exception of Genoma (granted I had no idea what I was doing). It was crashing when I would tell it to generate the rig.

All in all, I'm happy with it and use it for my work daily with no issues.

4dartist
02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
... triple post! fun!...

4dartist
02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
... double post ... can't figure out how to delete.. sooo... sloooowww...

CaptainMarlowe
02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
maybe try to fix permissions before installing could help?

i don't get why NT still uses an installer instead of a mac friendly drag and drop installation for LW. the installer does not work together with default folder and forces you to navigate to your custom folder each time.

have had myself a lot of permissions issues after installing to a custom application folder here, even after having fixed permissions before installation. i could fix layout and modeler startup crashes only by recursively assigning read+write user accesses to all the LW folder content. to do so, select 'info' for lightwave folder, enter your user password to change permissions, add your user name to the list of users, set the permissions to r+w, check the popup menu to assign to all enclosed items...

Photoreal motion blur works fine on my iMac. I did crash modeler a few times with tree designer, as I did with previous versions. I had no crash with Genoma, which allowed me to create my very first humanoid rigs in my life, but updating rig sometimes fail to generate the IK controllers. I had no luck getting cool results with bullet soft bodies. I found out that with a deforming character and a single cloth, it was possible to get interesting results. But when adding a second cloth, it often generates strange artifacting and messes the geometries. I did load the presets of one of the provided scenes in my own scene, and I got correct results when decreasing the solver iteration to 2 and the collision offset to 1 or 2 mm. But I'm not that impressed with softbodies so far.

Tony3d
02-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Hope they fix this stuff in a timely manor.

Iaian7
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
David Forstenlechner has responded with a fix for CS5.5 on Mac in this thread - http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133314-quot-Send-to-AE-quot-not-working-with-CS5-5

Really rapid response on that one!

Daphne
02-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I was getting ready to load 11.5 on my macs but now I'm having second thoughts.

Spinland
02-05-2013, 01:03 PM
It's generally running great on my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro. I've had FiberFX crash on rendering an object with three instances on it but even that was only intermittent.

BeeVee
02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
I was getting ready to load 11.5 on my macs but now I'm having second thoughts.

Don't be put off! 11.5 brings so much new stuff to the table that it would be overstating the case to be put off by a few users griping on a forum. Better yet, install it and come on here telling us how it worked well for you! :)

B
(my Mac mini has been rendering in 11.5 all day today with no hiccups)

Iaian7
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Agreed! I just noted some of the issues in case they were show stoppers for anyone, but it's no problem to run multiple versions simultaneously, and I haven't had the need to run anything but 11.5 for the past few days!

kfinla
02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
To me a common crash issue on 11.5 OSX seems to be rendering instances. Which is a new render flag in 11.5. I was crashing consistently rendering photoreal MB on instances. Above I read about FiberFX instances crashing on render. For me 11.5 seems less stable than 11.02. I need to restart my computer and verify I'm still getting a repeatable crash with photoreal MB. If its the particular asset, scene, or just instances. All the other MB modes work.

CaptainMarlowe
02-05-2013, 10:48 PM
I made many tries with photoreal MB and instances, and got absolutely no crash, even with heavy scenes scenes. Can it be be scene related in your case ?

jwiede
02-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Don't be put off! 11.5 brings so much new stuff to the table that it would be overstating the case to be put off by a few users griping on a forum. Better yet, install it and come on here telling us how it worked well for you! :)

B
(my Mac mini has been rendering in 11.5 all day today with no hiccups)
BeeVee, any chance you could get someone from LW3DG to perhaps read and respond to the GLSL thread in this forum? Or is that issue just "a few users griping on a forum" in your mind? :devil:

GaryWales
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm having very regular Layout crashes handling images (tga in these instances) of all sizes when I'm moving between Modeler and Layout. I'm assuming a Hub issue? Otherwise it's blazing fast and the features are truly amazing.

jwiede
02-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm having very regular Layout crashes handling images (tga in these instances) of all sizes when I'm moving between Modeler and Layout. I'm assuming a Hub issue? Otherwise it's blazing fast and the features are truly amazing.
I seem to recall Targa file handling being unstable for quite some time now, IIRC it's better to convert them to .tiff files and use those instead.

3dworks
02-08-2013, 01:03 AM
i've eliminated the hub in my workflow for a long time already. makes things way more stable if you ask me.

GaryWales
02-08-2013, 03:10 AM
Thanks for your replies guys - will try those suggestions out.

CaptainMarlowe
02-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I have a problem with the graph editor. It works fine in my MacBook Air, but I get a black window on my iMac. Don't know why, but it is very annoying.

CaptainMarlowe
02-08-2013, 11:30 PM
I have a problem with the graph editor. It works fine in my MacBook Air, but I get a black window on my iMac. Don't know why, but it is very annoying.

It seems to be CS related. When in linear, everything is OK, when in sRGB, if "color opnegl corrected" is checked, then the graph editor displays a black window. Can someone confirm this issue ?

jwiede
02-09-2013, 02:22 AM
It seems to be CS related. When in linear, everything is OK, when in sRGB, if "color opnegl corrected" is checked, then the graph editor displays a black window. Can someone confirm this issue ?
Confirmed. Oddly, if Graph Editor is open when CS is set to non-linear & "Color-corrected OGL" is switched on it'll stay visible, but if closed then will appear black when opened.

3dworks
02-09-2013, 03:51 AM

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133262-Graph-editor-11-5-black-screen

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133307-Graph-editor-is-BLACK

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?55841_e476v1a4

gerry_g
02-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Mine was fine (Graph Editor) and I posted as such then suddenly bam it went black one time and I couldn't figure out why then I read the above about CS setting and realised that since I first set up LW11.5 I had been opening some of the content directory files and twigged that the custom CS settings for these specific files were overwriting the global settings I'd entered. Worse than this once altered they stay altered so if you cleared scene and started building a new scene from scratch loading objects and so on you would be unwittingly stuck with the settings of the last scene you loaded or if you close LW at this point next time you open it the same thing would apply, not sure if this is good or bad.

jwiede
02-10-2013, 01:54 AM
Mine was fine (Graph Editor) and I posted as such then suddenly bam it went black one time and I couldn't figure out why then I read the above about CS setting and realised that since I first set up LW11.5 I had been opening some of the content directory files and twigged that the custom CS settings for these specific files were overwriting the global settings I'd entered. Worse than this once altered they stay altered so if you cleared scene and started building a new scene from scratch loading objects and so on you would be unwittingly stuck with the settings of the last scene you loaded or if you close LW at this point next time you open it the same thing would apply, not sure if this is good or bad.
Well, it definitely isn't "good", IMO. If the CS settings are really "global prefs" then they shouldn't be changed by scenes, and if "scene settings" then clearing the scene should revert to default values, not persist. Having CS settings load from scenes into global prefs (and then persist) is a recipe for nasty surprises, as you've discovered. Unexpected, undesirable behavior == bug.

raw-m
02-10-2013, 03:02 AM
I think I'm lucky as generally I haven't had too much trouble, nice and stable. I've found I'm getting to where I need to a bit quicker. It annoys me that the Delete key is still mapped to some other functionality by default - and there's no way to change the Node Editor shortcuts (a real pain when I'm on my mbp). But, so far, enjoying using it!

gerry_g
02-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Some minor thing of note that I am surprised no one has noted – "Load recent scene/object" never ever worked on a Mac from the topmost Apple menu bar, always had to use the one in the program it's self but woohoo now it does in Modeler and Layout both, ok so this hardly makes up for the bugs in general, modeler is slow every thing lags firs click on anything really tends to work, all still feels like a beta thats badly in need of a point release.

Marcia
02-10-2013, 09:12 AM
modeler is slow every thing lags firs click on anything really tends to work, all still feels like a beta thats badly in need of a point release.

Someone else noted that, too, but I haven't seen any slowdown in modeler at all. Is there a poly count threshold or some other variable that kicks it into low gear, or is it always slow, regardless of what's loaded? Wondering what to watch for....

3dworks
02-10-2013, 09:57 AM
actually, while working on a production project, i'm finding layout very unstable when using VPR. it continues to crash every half hour or so while manipulating the scene - and without being able to reproduce what the steps are to make it happen. for what i can see it's mostly happening while radiosity is set on.

here a few crash log extracts (just the crashed threads), maybe someone over here has a clue what it could be. switching back to good old and stable LW 11.03 now (which crashes like once in a a few days of heavy use here...)

Process: Layout [12919]
Path: /Production/*/Layout.app/Contents/MacOS/Layout
Identifier: com.newtek.LightWave.Layout
Version: 11.5.0 (11.5.0)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [174]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2013-02-10 01:19:21.750 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Report Version: 10

Crashed Thread: 56

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

Thread 56 Crashed:
0 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100257f1b LWVPR::KDTree::FindClosestPoint(LWSDK::Vector<3, double>, LWSDK::Vector<3, double>, double, double, LWVPR::RenderObject*, bool, double&) + 75
1 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100278684 LWVPR::Radiosity::RadiosityOctree::CheckErrorToler ance(LWVPR::RenderSpot*, LWVPR::RadiositySample*, float, float, float&) + 740
2 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x000000010028138c LWVPR::Radiosity::RadiosityOctree::CreateSampleRen der(LWVPR::RenderSpot*, LWVPR::RadiositySample*, float, float) + 620
3 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100281560 LWVPR::Radiosity::RaytraceInterpolated(LWVPR::Rend erSpot*, LWVPR::RadiositySample*) + 320
4 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100281dfd LWVPR::Radiosity::Evaluate(LWVPR::RenderSpot*) + 797
5 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100283ed0 LWVPR::RenderSpot::ambient() + 80
6 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x000000010026431f LWVPR::Material::DoShading(LWVPR::RenderSpot*, LWVPR::MaterialChannels&, LWVPR::MaterialComponents&, unsigned int, LWSDK::Vector<3, float>&) + 1663
7 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x00000001002651b0 LWVPR::Material::evaluate_shader(LWVPR::RenderSpot *, LWSDK::Vector<3, float>&, LWSDK::Vector<3, float>&) + 688
8 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x00000001002870b2 LWVPR::RenderSpot::shade_spot(LWVPR::SpotShade&) + 322
9 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100289485 LWVPR::RenderSpot::shade_ray(LWVPR::RaytraceRay const&, LWSDK::Vector<3, float>&) + 117
10 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x000000010028edf2 LWVPR::Render::AdaptiveShadeDraft(LWVPR::RenderCon text*, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int) + 786
11 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x000000010029559d LWVPR::Render::RenderPixel(LWVPR::RenderContext*) + 1885
12 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x000000010029569b LWVPR::Render::RenderThread(LWVPR::RenderContext*) + 43
13 QtCore 0x0000000104984595 QThreadPrivate::start(void*) + 149
14 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff92b21742 _pthread_start + 327
15 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff92b0e181 thread_start + 13

- - - - - - - - - -
Process: Layout [1321]
Path: /Production/*/Layout.app/Contents/MacOS/Layout
Identifier: com.newtek.LightWave.Layout
Version: 11.5.0 (11.5.0)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [174]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2013-02-10 17:45:22.305 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Report Version: 10

Crashed Thread: 40

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

Thread 40 Crashed:
0 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100257f1b LWVPR::KDTree::FindClosestPoint(LWSDK::Vector<3, double>, LWSDK::Vector<3, double>, double, double, LWVPR::RenderObject*, bool, double&) + 75
1 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100278684 LWVPR::Radiosity::RadiosityOctree::CheckErrorToler ance(LWVPR::RenderSpot*, LWVPR::RadiositySample*, float, float, float&) + 740
2 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100281302 LWVPR::Radiosity::RadiosityOctree::CreateSampleRen der(LWVPR::RenderSpot*, LWVPR::RadiositySample*, float, float) + 482
3 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100281560 LWVPR::Radiosity::RaytraceInterpolated(LWVPR::Rend erSpot*, LWVPR::RadiositySample*) + 320
4 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100281dfd LWVPR::Radiosity::Evaluate(LWVPR::RenderSpot*) + 797
5 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100283ed0 LWVPR::RenderSpot::ambient() + 80
6 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x000000010026431f LWVPR::Material::DoShading(LWVPR::RenderSpot*, LWVPR::MaterialChannels&, LWVPR::MaterialComponents&, unsigned int, LWSDK::Vector<3, float>&) + 1663
7 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x00000001002651b0 LWVPR::Material::evaluate_shader(LWVPR::RenderSpot *, LWSDK::Vector<3, float>&, LWSDK::Vector<3, float>&) + 688
8 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x00000001002870b2 LWVPR::RenderSpot::shade_spot(LWVPR::SpotShade&) + 322
9 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100289485 LWVPR::RenderSpot::shade_ray(LWVPR::RaytraceRay const&, LWSDK::Vector<3, float>&) + 117
10 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x000000010028b4b8 LWVPR::Render::AliasedShade(LWVPR::RenderContext*, unsigned int, unsigned int) + 1464
11 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x0000000100295605 LWVPR::Render::RenderPixel(LWVPR::RenderContext*) + 1989
12 com.newtek.LightWave.Layout 0x000000010029569b LWVPR::Render::RenderThread(LWVPR::RenderContext*) + 43
13 QtCore 0x0000000104984595 QThreadPrivate::start(void*) + 149
14 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff8b247742 _pthread_start + 327
15 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fff8b234181 thread_start + 13

mike_stening
02-11-2013, 08:30 AM
all seems really good to me, had a couple of crashes just now but that could be down to the tga's, now tiff'd. VPR speed still isnt up to the pc speed, if i boot into windows (bootcamp) vpr is really really quick, though this may be down to the quality of the mac radeon drivers and not having full catalyst support.
still slightly annoyed that you cant have more than 8 lights in open gl

mike_stening
02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
hmm, well layout is still occasionally crashing, mainly when i hit F9 but not always, i thought the change of tga to tiff had fixed it but i guess not.

Tony3d
02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
I think I'm going to wait till 11.5.1 before I jump in.

mike_stening
02-12-2013, 03:01 AM
well its been rendering since 6pm last night with no issues at all, these are A3 300dpi renders too. Strange.
Though i have noticed something odd in the console log, there are some errors appearing where LW 11.0 is trying to call for help file, even though i haven't got LW 11.0 running

jwiede
02-12-2013, 04:20 AM
well its been rendering since 6pm last night with no issues at all, these are A3 300dpi renders too. Strange.
Though i have noticed something odd in the console log, there are some errors appearing where LW 11.0 is trying to call for help file, even though i haven't got LW 11.0 running

Okay, that's definitely odd, and a bit disturbing. Might explain some of the more subtle Mac LW 11.5 instability issues, though, if something's prodding 11.0.x into activity while 11.5 is running.

sebrady
02-15-2013, 08:07 AM
I have been playing with all the new stuff in 11.5. Yesterday I made a flag wave with Genoma Forward IK preset (4 bones going up and down on the left side of the flag). Cool. So then i made another version that had 4 bones same preset that had them going left to right in the middle of the flag. Sending to Layout and creating a rig CRASHES LAYOUT EVERY TIME..........∞ή Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2159257/flag%20wave4.mov

raw-m
02-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes, now I'm starting to use it "properly" that CS issue is a real showstopper, especially using gradients for Displacements - that'll teach me not to use the colour channels as it all shifts going from sRGB to Linear! Back to 11.0.3 for a while.

jwiede
02-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Yes, now I'm starting to use it "properly" that CS issue is a real showstopper, especially using gradients for Displacements - that'll teach me not to use the colour channels as it all shifts going from sRGB to Linear! Back to 11.0.3 for a while.
Yeah between this CC color issue, the GLSL perf issue, the CCOGL-vs-GraphEditor issue, and a few others, I've basically given up on LW 11.5 (Mac) and am waiting to see if 11.5.1 is less painful.

Marcia
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
My Nvidia Quadro graphics card fried. Can I blame 11.5?

CaptainMarlowe
02-16-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't see why it would be related. I didn't say it isn't, but jumping to the conclusion that 11.5 fried your video card may be a bit too fast.

3dworks
02-17-2013, 04:41 AM
My Nvidia Quadro graphics card fried. Can I blame 11.5?

without telling us what did exactly happen, what kind of answer do you expect here? :rolleyes:

gerry_g
02-17-2013, 07:21 AM
– 'Yeah between this CC color issue, the GLSL perf issue'

Not too bothered, just about every thing I do revolves around object replacement in a pre-built scene so I'm fairly isolated from that

– 'the GLSL perf issue, the CCOGL-vs-GraphEditor issue'

Felt slightly faster for me but yes not great, anyway there are more longstanding bugs here regarding polygons being read back to front in GLSL mode just load a tree and rotate it and you'll see

– 'and a few others, I've basically given up on LW 11.5'

Well there's a lot of others, main viewport won't release focus to numeric panel if already open, object does not stay centre screen when you flip views etc, tool refuses to respond to first mouse down click and so on, but that said all of the new tools designated 'Core Tools' in the directory are way more usable than any of the tools in Core beta cycle were even after six months of improvement, so I would say if LW9.6 is the best modeller LW11.5 is the second best, it still feels like it's still a beta though

mike_stening
02-17-2013, 07:23 AM
My 9800gt fried whilst iwas playing UT3 but I can't blame a program for that.
More likely a build up of dust and the card over heating. The card is controlled by its driver and settings.
My ati card has had no issues with LW11.5 at all

jwiede
02-17-2013, 06:39 PM
so I would say if LW9.6 is the best modeller LW11.5 is the second best, it still feels like it's still a beta though
While I'm inclined to agree (if 11.5 were more stable, it'd beat 9.6 in modeling, IMO), the gains in Modeler seem offset by a dearth of issues in Layout which are pretty painful to endure. It does feel like a beta -- one I'd likely skip and wait for a subsequent one with fixes, TBH. That's kind of the problem.

Spinland
02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Like I've posted elsewhere, there seems to be a Mac Genoma issue where it runs out of controllers when you Create Rig with too much stuff going on. I added hands to the four limbs of the quadruped rig and killed it on the fourth one; the limit seems to be around 19 fingers before it freaks out. It not only creates bones instead of controllers from the limit on, it crashes Layout when you try to exit. I also tried the included dragon rig and that died a horrible death.

Contrarily, I fired up a Win7/64 virtual machine on one of the same Macs and even with the reduced assets available to it all the rigs created no problem.

Marcia
02-17-2013, 11:04 PM
I don't see why it would be related. I didn't say it isn't, but jumping to the conclusion that 11.5 fried your video card may be a bit too fast.

Good point. Too big a leap of logic.

- - - Updated - - -

without telling us what did exactly happen, what kind of answer do you expect here? :rolleyes:

Something like this. :)

Marcia
02-17-2013, 11:09 PM
My 9800gt fried whilst iwas playing UT3 but I can't blame a program for that.
More likely a build up of dust and the card over heating. The card is controlled by its driver and settings.
My ati card has had no issues with LW11.5 at all

You're probably right about that... Plus it was a 4500, seven years old. I don't blame 11.5 , just frustrated with the timing.

mike_stening
02-18-2013, 02:24 AM
You're probably right about that... Plus it was a 4500, seven years old. I don't blame 11.5 , just frustrated with the timing.

it was its time to be put out to pasture my friend. :D

3dworks
02-28-2013, 04:16 AM
another really annoying thing is that the infamous DVView plugin is still causing troubles in all kind of network rendering situations, because still 32 bit only. a typical error you will get is like

2013-02-28 12:07:04.857 lwsn[1774:707] Error loading /Production/Lightwave/LW3D_11_0/support/plugins/utility/DVView.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVView: dlopen(/Production/Lightwave/LW3D_11_0/support/plugins/utility/DVView.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVView, 265): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Production/Lightwave/LW3D_11_0/support/plugins/utility/DVView.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVView: mach-o, but wrong architecture

it's a pain to see this still not fixed, as it has been reported since 9.6.x - fogbugz case was 35171 from 2010...

please NT, compile this for 64 bit or remove it from the installer (i guess nobody is using this anyway!)...

markus

03-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Works beautiful .... : )