PDA

View Full Version : LightWave - choose 16 years ago

Rafal3
01-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Hi all friends ! ( sorry for my bad english )
As title - i choose LightWave 16 years ago and avery time when I see news from CG industry... and see news about plugins - I ask myself where is LightWave support?
I see MAX... I see MAYA...and everytime ( almost everytime )I see Cinema4D !!!
Where is LightWave ?
What happend?
Is it time to switch to another software?
Why new plugins are not for LW... why Cinema can grow up so fast as LW can't?

Any ideas?

Rafal

nickdigital
01-31-2013, 09:43 AM
That would be aggressive advertising by Autodesk. LightWave has its own group now led by Rob Powers. Ever since Rob took over there's been improvement in promoting LW.

As for plugins...There have been a lot released over the years. My guess is that the people developing plugins don't have a lot of resources to advertise.

I use the forum to keep up on LW related info. But if you're not a forum addict, then yes it's very easy to be out of the loop on what's out there.

Rafal3
01-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your feedback.
I have 5 people in my company who work in LightWave. I am responsible for them. It was I forced them to work on LightWave. But I read it I see CG Chanel that once formed plugins for Max and Maya ... and now joins them Cinema4D ... and it worries me.
What bothers me as a business owner that uses only LightWave ... but I believe that we are the exception in Poland ...
Caring for the development of the company I have to think ahead ...
hence my question ... what next ...?
For me only LW 10 and LW11 were actually a breakthrough ... but how many of us survived to this point?
What Newtek wants to offer us - fanatics ...?
I even started on Amiga .. :)!
Regards
Rafal

DrStrik9
01-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Where's the "like" button? :+)

nickdigital
01-31-2013, 11:42 AM
But I read it I see CG Chanel that once formed plugins for Max and Maya ... and now joins them Cinema4D ... and it worries me.
What bothers me as a business owner that uses only LightWave ... but I believe that we are the exception in Poland ...

I would ask, "What plugins/tools do you need for your work?". It's possible they already exist, you're just not aware of them. On the lightwave3d.com site there's this page so Rob and co. are trying to do more to showcase all the great 3rd party tools out there.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/third_party/

There's also http://lwplugindb.com/

Do those links list every 3rd party plugin/script in the world? No. Since both are dependent on people collecting the information, there's always going to be the human element.

Are there plugins/tools for other apps that we'd love to see for LW? Absolutely. Unfortunately we're at the mercy of the developer's decision to support LW.

The forum is a gold mine of information and talent. When in doubt look here or ask. You'd be surprised at what you find/learn.

Rafal3
01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Thank you for your suggestions but ...
My question has a deeper meaning.
I mean the same way to advertise our software.
The fact that we - LW fanatics will work on it - it is clear!
But new people, young people entering the world of 3D animation does not come on the forum such that you provided. Cer in a few years will not be talking about Newtek LightWave because he does not care that talked about.
If a young person has to make a choice looking at different places ...
looking for .. and see the different effects plugins (and what they're in LW?)
and see what programs they fit
and we have MAX, MAYA, and what amazes me the most Cinema4D ....
I remember how this program was far behind the LW ...
and now how you ask people what they work .... say the Cinema ... because a lot of it is being written and said ..
price comparable to LightWave

I find the plugins!
I can handle it ... because I already have chosen 16 years ago (when there was no choice)
But people now opt for software ... and do not choose LightWave.
That's the truth.

As I wrote ...
My question has a deeper meaning.

Regards
Rafal

nickdigital
01-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Well LightWave being its own division is relatively new. There have been improvements in advertising ever since Rob took over. Is there still room to improve upon? Sure. With every success there's always room to improve.

I for one am excited about the future.

I get what you're deeper question is though. I don't think LW will ever become Auotodesk. AD has resources that others just don't have.