PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #205 - Australian Demoscene - Retro BBQ Party

akaracquel
01-31-2013, 12:39 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #205 - Australian Demoscene Retro BBQ Party

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

http://slaughterhouse.com.au/LW/SPEED/ozparty.jpg

This week's topic: Australian Demoscene Retro BBQ Party

It's happening! BBQ at my place! Don't know if i can wing a live stream, but i'll try! :bday:

Make something to contribute to the party! Some ice cubes for the drinks! Some snags for the barbie~! Hot Sauce! Dive into the nostalgia of adding a z-axis to 2D characters from old C64/Amiga/Spectrum/Atari/Nintendo(etc) games! ..something that might be uniquely Australian ...or send us a greeting card!

Come on LW'ers, show these mostly-3DsMax-ers what you're made of, for the GFX compo! :D

Bonus prize: Win a pair of plastic 3D anaglyph glasses sent to you by mail, from my place! :boogiedow:dance:

Time limit: 70 minutes. [ Well, it's 60 minutes really ...but you're getting an extra 10 minutes to round up during the last-minute rush :hey: ]
Deadline: Wednesday, February, 6th, 2013, 22:00 G.M.T

You think i'm sounding manic or could have been eating one too many mushrooms yet? :screwy: The ring leader boss is at least x10 more intense than me :ohmy:

Kaptive
01-31-2013, 04:14 AM
I've gotta do something for this :) Best challenge header full stop. I'll get my thinking cap on...

JoePoe
02-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Phew.... tough week to host a challenge. Even with such a gracious invitation!

Lets put all these wonderful new toys to use.
Looking forward to seeing some uber sliced, thickened, heat shrunk, and chamfered (just to name a few) models!!

bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bu....
(that's 11.5 bumps.... seemed appropriate :))

akaracquel
02-03-2013, 04:30 PM
:ohmy:

UV unwrap got me grinning, but i'm too scared to install it atm :D

BBQ party will be a pre-planner gig for the demoscene event in Sydney, scheduled for June 8-10th weekend this year. I didn't travel too hardcore via the programming route, ended up in design & branding. Participating in last year's event, was fantastic for networking, exposure & increasing web traffic. Get the feeling i'll end up facilitating the window of opportunity to promote artists in the G/VFX genre. They allow for remote entries. If anyone's interested in screening their work to a wider/alter-audience, feel free send me a PM :hey:

Samoht VII
02-06-2013, 02:03 AM
Well what's a party without goon. Australian invention if you where unsure. 30 model 30 rendering. Thought i'd contribute :D

akaracquel
02-06-2013, 02:11 AM
Dayum! Was hoping I was going to win $1,000,000 by default because no one would give it a go! :ohmy:

Your contribution is going to go down very well with the guests at the party Samoht VII! :thumbsup:

Kaptive
02-06-2013, 02:56 AM
Sorry, I've had (and am still having) the busiest week ever! I got 4 hours sleep last night and then I'm back on it. Not my prefered way of doing things, but sometimes you just gotta do what you've just gotta do!

Though, I'll try and do something a bit later, as hopefully I'm nearly finished! Hoorah!

akaracquel
02-06-2013, 03:19 AM
It happens to me too, good luck :D
Deadline for this challenge stands as above, but as I'm also hosting the next one - I'll be able to accept submissions (for the party) by Friday February 8, 2013 22:00 GMT :)

JoePoe
02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Not lookin' too good for me.... I'll try for my all too often "last minute scramble".

XswampyX
02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BBQ-8Bit_Small_zps00338bc3.jpg

Will post the wires soon.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BBQ-8Bit_Wired_zpsdd0e16df.jpg

JoePoe
02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
If you want something retro, I should send my computer. :grumpy:

I had it 95% there then ..... crash. (I know save).

Just getting back to recreate now....

akaracquel
02-06-2013, 08:47 PM
> (I know save)

<nods ..and poops> Great ethos to live by VS being able to successfully open the auto-backup that managed to save 5 minutes just before a crash :hey:

Everyone - don't forget to backup your critical hard drives ..NOW! :D

JoePoe
02-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Always late to the party..... Be careful unBOXing this. :D

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=111234&d=1360211208

akaracquel
02-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Great work and i know all three submissions are going to be received really well on saturday! :dance::bday::jam:

Samoht VII ..yay, your wires made me grin ..widely! :thumbsup:
XswampyX - OMG, yay! Non-planar ploys! Conceptually strong! :thumbsup:
JoePoe - <banks head 45degrees to try and work it out> ah, BOX JELLY! bwahahaharrr! :thumbsup:

So like, umů how strict is the time deadline in here? :ohmy: Easy peasy!
Samoht VII WINS!

Ok..okokokoků I'll be less draconian, you all win! PM me a physical address in the living world for me to mail you a pair of plastic anaglyph glasses! ..unless you *seriously* don't want one mailed! :D

Next challenge HERE (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133401-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-206-Mister-Men-Little-Miss&p=1299372#post1299372)