PDA

View Full Version : 'Degenerate' 3 point poly?

jeric_synergy
01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
I've got a mesh I'm trying to polish off, couldn't get two supposedly symmetrical quads to be NONdegenerate, finally just tried a 3point subset of the points, and the 3 point poly was degenerate too!

I didn't even know a tris COULD be degenerate. What's probably happening here? The point counts report correct #'s.

hrgiger
01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Maybe it just has low morals.

hrgiger
01-30-2013, 06:07 PM
But seriously, I don't think you can have a degenerate 3 point poly. Can you post the object or at least cut out the portion with the trigon in question?

jeric_synergy
01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Modeler started to act really weird, and like I told my students, "When the application (AE, in that case) starts acting weird, it's time to reboot."

Wouldn't Merge, thinks like that. Working correctly after re-launch.

tburbage
01-30-2013, 10:27 PM
There are 2 ways to create a triangle Modeler considers non-planar, and which will cause problems elsewhere. One is where all three vertices are directly "inline" (in a straight line), the other where 2 or all 3 of the points are in the same position. In those cases, the face's normal can't be determined. You should be able to use Polygon Statistics > Non-planar to find these.

jeric_synergy
01-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I've been to this rodeo a couple times, and it wasn't any of those. I shoulda grabbed a screenie.

Besides, one was a TRIANGLE, virtually an equilateral triangle. It couldn't be non-planar. Now, depending on how it's defined, degenerate!=non-planar, so it might have been something else.

However, i suspect the LWM internal point database got gronked somehow.