PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Contour Please

Tony3d
01-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi All, I need to make this plug with this 90 degree shape. How can I make the corded end blend smoothly with the plug end. I know somewhere there is a command that will let me make these selected poly's into a round circle, then I Should be able Bevel it out right? I'm really stuck here. Thanks for your help.

nickdigital
01-30-2013, 08:38 AM
Is this what you want?
http://lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=15fe6c0a

Tony3d
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I tried that, but it didn't work very well. Can anyone tell me if i'm approaching this the wrong way? I really need to get this contour done soon. Thanks.

JoePoe
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
one tip with that plug.... get rid of the polys it creates in the middle (the normals sometimes don't work well with each other.... even after unifying), then reselect the points on the circle edge and hit "p" (make poly). Should be able to multishift from there more easily.

injacphi
01-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Personnaly if I had to make this part, I will not freeze it at this point. Work in a subpatch mode You will be able to make the transition with round corner with your 90 degree shape. Also, there's too much polys on your model. Try to reduce the amount of polys.

Tony3d
01-30-2013, 10:27 AM
This just isn't working. I think I need another solution for modeling this thing.

JoePoe
01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
yes, personally, I would have done the whole thing in SubD.

If we continue to wrestle with what we have...... Instead of multishift (could be problematic) with the plug above, just use e and t since you are directly on an axis.

01-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Why not multi shift it out, with the group option selected?

Or as he said above me...

Tony3d
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
I can't find Mulishift. Can you maybe walk me through modeling this. I'm really pulling my hair out. It just seems that joining two objects like this shouldn't be that hard. I have little to no experience with Nurbs.

nickdigital
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
I used 3 discs and patched between them.

Tony3d
01-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm really confused now. How would one go about nurbing this model? Thanks.

nickdigital
01-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Does this help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRKT8Yf0h2Q

Tony3d
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
I see whats happening, but I don't understand how to model the plug from nurds. I can either lathe the plug end, or multilevel it out which is basically what I did here. Still can't figure out how to attach the 90 degree corded end. This simple thing is driving me nuts!

nickdigital
01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Personally I would use a low poly disc to make my shape. For my earlier t-pipe reference I used one disc shape that I cloned and positioned. I deleted the ends as you don't need them. For the horizontal part I welded the points to the open areas of the vertical pieces. I then had to add more points to patch the rest of the area. I made sure my new points lined up with the existing geometry. After patching everything I then used bandsaw to add tighter edges to create the sharp bends.

Spinland
01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
In my inexpert opinion I'd follow the above suggestions and use a low-poly tube with subD. Think of it as a human torso and the extrusion you want to add as an arm joint. Kind of like this tutorial:

http://books.google.com/books?id=UTQkKqSJMykC&pg=PA228&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

JoePoe
01-30-2013, 02:22 PM
yup....
Unfortunately, subD modeling will take some practice. But once you get the hang of it......:thumbsup:

Start with as little geometry as possible. I find that just an eight sided disc will extrude into a pretty convincing cylinder.
However, experience, told me that a 12 sided disc to start would give me a better space to extrude the L out of.

Basically a disc, extruded into a tube (with shape adjustments), one multishift, then extrude out the L. A couple of small adjustments and one control loop (like Nick described).

Pretty rough, but the basic shape is there. Can be tightened up how ever you like.

edit: whoops, I did do a band glue too..... now that I look at the images.

Dexter2999
01-30-2013, 03:17 PM
I woulda used splines.

jeric_synergy
01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
In the sample image (post#1) I can't even see what you're trying to do.

hrgiger
01-30-2013, 04:44 PM
110837You definitely want to use subdivision surfaces, the model you have with all those polygons is a nightmare to work with. Create a simple disc with maybe 10-12 sides and then bevel that out to create the main body. Then create another disc to create the plug that will go into the side. The key is creating the same number of sides as the points of the main body area that you will be intersecting with so you can create a bridge between them. That will allow you to use subdivisions surfaces which normally require you to use only polygons with 3 or 4 edges. Of course you can use CC subdivision which allows more but relying on that method without forethought as to how the polyflow will be is just sloppy modeling and won't look good. Took me about 4 or 5 minutes to create this shape using the above method.

Tony3d
01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Well, here's my first attempt. Very hard to do for a noobee. I think this is close though. Thanks for all your help guys. This one is frozen.

jeric_synergy
01-30-2013, 06:23 PM
What's the cage look like? Frozen doesn't reveal much.

Silkrooster
05-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Well, here's my first attempt. Very hard to do for a noobee. I think this is close though. Thanks for all your help guys. This one is frozen.

It looks OK, but being frozen it has way too many polys. See how many hrgiger's image has...