PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Config Issue

jimiclaybrooks
01-30-2013, 07:07 AM
If anyone is still using LW 9, I need help with an issue. For some time now, I've been using LW 9 for my modeling and rendering with FPrime. Modeling has been a real problem in 9.6, with open GL problems. I use 9.6 for all my final renders that use HD Instance or radiosity. Anyway, what I want to do is have two installs of LW 9. One for the single purpose of importing and exporting Obj files, which is important for 3D Coat, and other programs. The other LW install would be for all my serious modeling work, where all my plugins can be used and I can finish my project. Has anyone done this before, and if so, how did you pull it off? thanks. I'm thinkin of redirecting the config files for both installs, I just wanna be sure it'll keep me from goin insane. BTW, I'm using windows 7 Shine, 64 bit OS. thanks

Lewis
01-30-2013, 07:42 AM
You don't need 2 installs, just two separate configs(folders)/launch icons so you redirect configs to different location/path and your launch icon will pull particular one. i have LW 9.6 installed once and I use 3 different start icons for each resolution monitor i want and different menu setups.

That's only way to do it now in LW 'coz sadly we still don't have work-spaces to adjust it in program.

jimiclaybrooks
01-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks Lewis, thats good to know. So how do I redirect the configs now that I don't have my render setup with screamernet any more. I used to use Tequila Scream, and I had it setup to redirect my configs. Now that I'm only on one machine, I'm not sure how to do it anymore. Plus, I'm using a different OS now. thanks

Lewis
01-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Go to Icon properties (Icon you start LW from) and add something along these lines at TARGET input filed (adjust path so it reflects where your LW is installed in, My is in root of C drive "C:Lw11x64")

C:\LW11x64\bin\Layout.exe -i -cC:\LW11x64\configs

-i = isolate mode (if you want to work with HUB then skip this)
-c = location for where LW will store configs

so you can have as many as you wish different links to configs folders/targets

jimiclaybrooks
01-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Many thanks Lewis, this is a huge help!

jimiclaybrooks
01-30-2013, 09:08 AM
OK, here's a problem. The file path for my 9.6 install is different. Its on a diff HD, which is "E:LightWave 3D 9\Programs\lightwave.exe". The first redirect for 9.0 went fine, and everything works. But this one, for 9.6 says: "The folder 'E:\LightWage 3D 9\Programs' specified in the Start In box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exists and that the path is correct. What's a brother to do? thanks

OK, I got this, and thanks ever so much!!! ;-)

Lewis
01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Thing is that you have EMPTY space in your directory/path name so you need ot use "" in your path/link.

That's one of resons why i never iunstall LW in Default folder of Program Files where windows want to put it and i alway s manually create my LW folder wihtout any empty spaces or i add "_" in between words ;).

It still can be done but it's bigger hassle for this and for network render setup.

In yout case it should be like this:

"E:LightWave 3D 9\Programs\lightwave.exe" -i -c"E:LightWave 3D 9\configs"

Just be sure you create configs folder in your LW folder before that. Then you open LW and close it and if everythign is OK you should see newly created *.cfg files inside of that folder

nickdigital
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
I use a shortcut editor to auto generate new shortcuts when new versions of LW come out.
http://optimumx.com/downloads.html

It's a great time saver.

I believe you can make/edit shortcuts with python too.

Lewis
01-30-2013, 12:33 PM
I actually use slightly different shortcut than i posted but I'm just adding tagline to start Lw in LOW priority mode (in task manager) so when it renders i still can work fine on machine without hickups of it when havign Normal priority :).