PDA

View Full Version : please camera support for modeler

gcbotas
01-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Please, lightwave modeler is the best 3d modeler that I know. This feature would be enough. Would almost perfect. Thanks a lot :help:

dnch
02-22-2013, 08:17 AM
yep i requested it several times already.. if you could set one view in modeler to copy the view of layout camera.. the problem is, all objects in layout would have to be at 0 0 0 position and rotation to correspond with modeler

papou
02-24-2013, 06:56 AM
+1

Lewis
02-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Nope, it woudl just make you wish more stuff (just camera view sounds good now untill you start using it and notice it's not just camer ayou need ;)) and eventually it would be vaste of resources/DEVs time. LW need to be unified app, it will be faster to update it then and many thgins would be easier for users.

OFF
02-24-2013, 09:37 AM
+1000 for "LW need to be unified app" :)

dnch
02-24-2013, 10:57 AM
i like the separation.. its just hard to model for camera projection

Lewis
02-24-2013, 11:10 AM
i like the separation.. its just hard to model for camera projection

You like it 'coz you think it would be different when unified (peope are scared of change even if they didn't try it) but there is no reason to be much differet if you prefer just to model, it's just matter of workspace (show only buttons for modeling) and you still would feel like modeling in separate app but would have all benefits of unified app (less RAM usage, animated modeling tools, proper unod/history, modeling modifiers....). Really any other way of implementing camera in modeling environment is just halfarsed solution and will make us more and more workaorunds/problems on long run and DEVs would still have to do it twice to keep it compatible and usable in both apps. Modeler is completely different app than Layout so it wouldn't work as easy as you expect (just put camera in modeler idea...) and like i said it would generate more and more stuff needed in modeler, heck if they did camera next feature would be "why not VPR also...or why not imeline..." etc. etc.. :) :). All that would drift away from promised unified app more and more and we would never get it (it's already taking way too long (regardelss of how great new features we got for free (kudos to NT) are there is still massive under the hood issue of features don't share data with each other i.e. not talking to each other and esp. in modeling which is still way to destructive) and still not a glitch of unification is showed.

If they could put camera in modeler as temp solution (whcih i highly doubt) for 11.5.1 or 11.6 (if is evne going to be one) I'd say YES but for "wasting" time on that for LW12 i'd rather see them spend that time fixing underlaying structures and preparing for that ICEberg we so often listen (remember "tip of iceberg" comments from DEVs :)?)

3year plan is alread in it's 3rd year and iceberg still seems very far away ;).

dnch
02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
im just affraid their effort to join modeler and layout would end up the same way core ended, i agree otherwise

papou
02-24-2013, 04:33 PM
I agree Lewis but i'm afraid that unified app will take long time to dev it.
i would like a "temp" solution. C'mon just a script that can share the pos, rot and zoom factor of the cam to Modeler perspective view.
I'm ok with "perspective camera only" solution or "1 layer object only" limitation...
Just tired to jump back from Layout to Modeler, or do some unbelievable turnaround to make the cammap job done.
I hope you never have to do this kind of job with your client near you. Extremely unconfortable situation.

erikals
02-24-2013, 05:58 PM
i think they are working on something... >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129590-Lightwave-11-5/page12&p=1268963#post1268963

I will say that we are aware of the limitation caused by not being able to model from a camera perspective. I myself was frustrated by this a few times. As I mentioned at Siggraph there are strenghts to having a clean focused modeling workflow separte from the "Shooting Stage" Layout workflow but this is one of the weaknesses. I am aware of it and want a solution for this....so....I'm just saying LOL :)

papou
02-24-2013, 06:53 PM
ok cool i hope Rob will find an funny solution to this.

ROY_NUZZO
03-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Different people have different needs. We don't all make movies. I use LW modeler to test medical procedures for children with birth defects. Layout is totally extraneous for that. I don't say nay to having layout because I don't need it. Maybe if you had a kid with a special need you'd rethink that 1000 times no vote. Forensic uses also use modeler and maybe a glitz rendering in Layout. It's a big world.

erikals
03-02-2013, 06:05 PM
http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif nice job to have, helping children.

ROY_NUZZO
03-03-2013, 01:05 PM
It is. Just remember relative to LightWave: Two orientations

1: I want to show this thing (doing something, whatever), produce it - distribute it ....
2: Real time - interactive - check out this model, look here, see this?

eg: Yeah, good observation, but what if we put this . . . over here?
Ooo, hmmm, that would work... Not a production but a live interaction - an exploration.

layout = production
modeler = interactive (does not limit to one view location) Two users many miles apart manipulating the same model (two windows or flip one in turns).

We need some easier rulers (built-in distance splines) to make "How long does that have to be to reach?" have an easy answer. A bunch of extra layers with rulers serves right now but those could be made systemic.

My suggestion to NewTek was to make a dedicated interactive modeler version. I know I am a newbie on the forum but I have been with the program from the very first days - even before with - uh - what was it called (on Amiga) Digi Grab? been a fun ride.

Sensei
03-03-2013, 05:04 PM
please camera support for modeler

Seriously - how?

erikals
03-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Sensei, i remember you proposed a workaround for it some months ago, it would be good if you could look into it.

Sensei
03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Me? I don't remember what I was doing last week..

So you should provide link..

erikals
03-03-2013, 07:09 PM
hm, with the current NT search broken that proves hard to do.
(i'll give it a try)

erikals
03-03-2013, 07:17 PM
here we go >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?130264-Please-I-beg-you-develop-a-way-to-match-the-layout-camera-with-modeler-perspective

Sensei
03-04-2013, 04:53 AM
It should be possible as it's already easy to add backdrop images to every other pane EXCEPT the perspective view. If they just added that in

It's even possible to make by 3rd party developer - you just have to "properly" persuade him to do so..

Omg..

That's discussion about adding custom backdrop reference image to viewports in Modeler..

Currently perspective viewport has no reference backdrop image.

erikals
03-04-2013, 06:27 AM
and it's cool, get on it :]