PDA

View Full Version : Swift3d

nickdigital
01-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Does Swift3 still exist for LW? Is anyone using it with 11?

sadkkf
01-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Done:

http://www.erain.com/Products/LW/

I haven't used it in years and now that Flash is pretty much dead, can't see much use for it at all unfortunately.

bazsa73
01-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Right now I need something similar for a print job where the final output is almost 20 meters long and 2 meters high so doing it as raster is a huge waste
of resources since the thing is just a giant blueprint of white line depicting machinery. I have to use maya since LW does not offer a solution.

BeeVee
01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Why not render out a raster at a large resolution (not that large obviously) and take the render into Illustrator and autotrace to make a vectorial version?

B

nickdigital
01-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Done:

http://www.erain.com/Products/LW/

I haven't used it in years and now that Flash is pretty much dead, can't see much use for it at all unfortunately.

Thanks for the link. It looks like they stopped development.

sadkkf
01-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the link. It looks like they stopped development.

No problem. Wish I had better news for you.

sadkkf
01-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Right now I need something similar for a print job where the final output is almost 20 meters long and 2 meters high so doing it as raster is a huge waste
of resources since the thing is just a giant blueprint of white line depicting machinery. I have to use maya since LW does not offer a solution.

Can you export to OBJ and open that in Photoshop? I'm not sure if Illustrator supports that or not.

BigHache
01-29-2013, 07:00 PM
I believe the last version of LW it was compatible with was v9.x.

bazsa73
01-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Why not render out a raster at a large resolution (not that large obviously) and take the render into Illustrator and autotrace to make a vectorial version?

B

Yes I know but it's not the same still. There are lots of tiny details which would be nice to preserve. Nevertheless I use tracing for scanned machinery images but I need also
very clean precise state of the art CGI renders as well.

Silkrooster
01-30-2013, 01:25 AM
If you don't need the rendered version or the perspective version, you may be better off exporting one of the wireframe views as an eps which would then import into illustrator or photoshop.

bazsa73
01-30-2013, 01:52 AM
If you don't need the rendered version or the perspective version, you may be better off exporting one of the wireframe views as an eps which would then import into illustrator or photoshop.
Thanks! I try that.

safetyman
01-30-2013, 04:58 AM
Be careful with Illustrator and large files like that, especially if you have text on there. I know it's vector, but Illy slows to a crawl when you get to a certain size (and I believe it has a limit on artboard size). That's why most sign companies either use tools specifically designed for large displays or something like CorelDraw, which can handle almost any size "canvas".

Silkrooster
01-30-2013, 10:44 PM
I would more likely believe the number of objects and any raster images or effects would affect the speed before the size of the document would. I can see hitting the limit but for the speed its the same number of vertices whether its large or small.

bazsa73
01-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the extra info guys, I guess I will just scale up the thing when it's done.

safetyman
01-31-2013, 05:13 AM
I would more likely believe the number of objects and any raster images or effects would affect the speed before the size of the document would. I can see hitting the limit but for the speed its the same number of vertices whether its large or small.

Obviously, the more stuff you put in the document will affect it's size. Something to remember also is that Illustrator CS6 has a max document size of 227.54 inches. Back when I was using CorelDraw (version 8), I could go much, much bigger, like 120+ feet.