PDA

View Full Version : Why can't textures be deleted in surface editor.

tonyhall007
01-29-2013, 01:28 AM
How come you cannot just click on a surface you don't want and simply delete it in the surface editor. It can't be hard to set it up so that if you don't want a texture, that you could simply click on it and there is an option to remove it. Any polygons that are connected to that texture could be reset to the default texture, or if there is not a default texture it could simply ask if you wish to create one for you. Or am I being stupid and this is already possible. Maybe Lightwave could add this function to the next release.

erikals
01-29-2013, 02:36 AM
hi, save first, then run this plug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBT6PifDeb8

Ryste3d
01-29-2013, 03:00 AM
Shift + click the T (texture) button :-)

tonyhall007
01-29-2013, 03:36 AM
When I say delete the textures out of surface editor, I mean the surface name, not remove the texture. Sorry for any confusion.

alexs3d
01-29-2013, 03:48 AM
you can not delete a texture name, a objects needs at least one texture name. do you have more than one textures on an object ?
if you have unused textures, they will be gone after you save and reload the object.

erikals
01-29-2013, 04:06 AM
hm, actually no, seems like you have to close object and then re-open...

gerry_g
01-29-2013, 04:50 AM
if it's a procedural texture double click it an save it to the preset shelf and rename it there (RIGHT/COMMAND CLICK and from the menu choose Preset<Set Name) and then use the newly named one to replace the old one, if it's a texture map go to your hard drive and duplicate it and rename it then back in Layout hit F6 to bring up the Image Editor select the old version of the texture in the left hand list then use the Replace button to call up the newly named version of the texture from your hard drive to replace it

tonyhall007
01-29-2013, 05:20 AM
I don't understand why you can't used click on a texture name and delete it. Like I said earlier, when you have deleted a texture any polygons that were textured under that name could just jump back to the default texture name, or if there is no default texture, the surface editor could just automatically create one for you. I think this would be beneficial

tonyhall007
01-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Working on a Mac, this plug-in looks like it is PC only. Looks good, pity.

vector
01-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Very basic action not developed, I miss it sometimes

gerry_g
01-29-2013, 09:38 AM
totally agree LighWave is totally crap and outdated in this respect the ability to dynamically update all texture, object, or uv map names is a fundamental requirement in any modern 3D app

VoltisArt
02-01-2013, 09:25 PM
The option would be nice, but it's something I'd consider far from critical. If I've got spare surfaces while I'm building a model, I'll just rename and reuse them for something else. One or two extra seldom get in the way but if there's a bunch of them or they are bugging, it's probably worthwhile to just save, close and reopen the file.

jeric_synergy
02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
"...its something I'd consider far from critical." You're far too kind. I would have gone with "pointless bumfluffery".