PDA

View Full Version : Newtek loans money now?

JMCarrigan
01-28-2013, 10:17 PM
I saw a commercial today from a company called NewTek that loans money. Can there be 2 NewTeks?

meatycheesyboy
01-28-2013, 10:37 PM
In the US it's legal for two companies to have the same name as long as they aren't competing in the same market.

danielkaiser
01-28-2013, 11:25 PM
In the US it's legal for two companies to have the same name as long as they aren't competing in the same market.

Tell that to monster cable, they'll sue anybody with the word monster in their name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Cable_Products#Trademark_and_patent

jwiede
01-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Tell that to monster cable, they'll sue anybody with the word monster in their name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Cable_Products#Trademark_and_patent
You're confusing the things a company is willing to sue over with the things it has a right to claim. Sadly, the former is nigh-always company-defined more broadly than the latter, and unless the opponent is able to outspend/outwait them they'll often win by settlement -- regardless of whether the issue is among the latter.

danielkaiser
01-29-2013, 01:23 AM
You're confusing the things a company is willing to sue over with the things it has a right to claim. Sadly, the former is nigh-always company-defined more broadly than the latter, and unless the opponent is able to outspend/outwait them they'll often win by settlement -- regardless of whether the issue is among the latter.

That's exactly what I meant. no confusion here.

JMCarrigan
01-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Oh.

Bill Carey
01-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Great quote "Not only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it.", I wonder what they thought of that, lol

Cryonic
01-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Part of the problem is with Trademark Law itself. I remember a case years ago where Intel sued a yoga studio because of the use of the phrase "Yoga Inside" in a circle like drawing (similar to the "Intel Inside" logo). They had to do it, else if they went after someone else and it was found out they knew about this possible infringement and did nothing, then they couldn't continue their suit until they'd gone after the other person first.

E.g.
Intel finds out about A, but does nothing
Intel finds out about B and sues
B finds out about Intel knowing about A
Intel has to sue A before continuing the suit against B

Simpler to just "sue" them, lose quickly in court and move on.

The Olympic Committee does the exact same crap every place they run the games. Sue everyone with Olympic in the name of their business...