PDA

View Full Version : TurbulenceFD LightWave User Group Purchase.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Oedo 808
01-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Hello LightWavers.

Jascha has kindly agreed to a LightWave user group buy, if you wish to take part, please email Jascha at [email protected] and title the email as LightWave User Group Purchase, providing your dongle ID and the email address you wish associated with an account. This offer will be ending on Sunday February 10th after which Jascha will set up the accounts and apply the respective discount that will show when you make the purchase according to the number of participents. Please only email Jascha if you intend to make the purchase of TurbulenceFD. All prices quoted exclude VAT.

If people do not wish to post here and would care to PM me I will keep this thread updated with the number of those who are participating. So far there are two definite users bringing the price down from €399 to €374 per user, there are two maybes that would make this €324, a fifth would be €299. Should any more come on board after that then say seven would be €270, ten would be €249 with eleven at €244 and so on.

Of the features available some may be aware that Particle Advection is not currently present for LightWave (I believe this is still the case and I will double check), but Prometheus has asked about this and had the answer that "It'll be in a v1.0 update (as opposed to not-until-v2)" beyond that Jascha couldn't be more specific.

Here is the TurbulenceFD website (http://www.jawset.com/), there is a Learning Edition available to try if you are as yet unfamiliar with TurbulenceFD.

Cheers.

ErichSchreiner
01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
What about those who do not have a dongle?

Oedo 808
01-27-2013, 02:46 PM
What about those who do not have a dongle?

This is for LightWave, as far as I am aware everyone purchasing LightWave in the 11 cycle was still issued with a dongle, but if not that would be a problem.

I understand the desire to have the plugins also being dongle free, though I'd expect them to lag a bit behind as it's only just become an option for LightWave itself. I'll ask Jascha about his plans for this.

Cageman
01-27-2013, 03:13 PM
I have TFD and it works without the LW-dongle. You still need the LW license file though (.LWK) which should have something that is similar to a regular Dongle ID.

Phil
01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
This is for LightWave, as far as I am aware everyone purchasing LightWave in the 11 cycle was still issued with a dongle, but if not that would be a problem.

I understand the desire to have the plugins also being dongle free, though I'd expect them to lag a bit behind as it's only just become an option for LightWave itself. I'll ask Jascha about his plans for this.

If the plugin uses the regular access methods from the SDK, there should be no issue at all. So far, the only plugins that do their own thing appear to be those from Worley.

BigHache
01-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Interested? Yes. Able to do this by Feb 10? Probably not yet. I just got a new job and am waiting to get into payment cycles.

ShadowMystic
01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Shouldn't you postpone a bit more into the tax return season?

Oedo 808
01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
I have TFD and it works without the LW-dongle. You still need the LW license file though (.LWK) which should have something that is similar to a regular Dongle ID.

Thanks for the info Cageman. If you anyone doesn't have their dongleID the system may be able to recognize the user by email address alone, I will check to make sure of this.

If the plugin uses the regular access methods from the SDK, there should be no issue at all. So far, the only plugins that do their own thing appear to be those from Worley.

Cheers Phil, I have some of Worley's plugins and also still run under XP (though I'll be hoping over to Windows 8) so I haven't really looked into running without the dongle.

Interested? Yes. Able to do this by Feb 10? Probably not yet. I just got a new job and am waiting to get into payment cycles.

Ahh, sorry to hear that, I've already delayed it to cross over the end of month as to allow for the usual pay cycle, I'm not sure how much room for manoeuvre there is, I'll see.

Shouldn't you postpone a bit more into the tax return season?

Jascha has already agreed to set in place a system where people can pay only the discounted amount rather than refunding the difference to accommodate those who might struggle to meet the full amount. Though this may be moot depending on how many participate. Perhaps it is universal in the US for all workers to get a bonus at the end of the tax year but it hasn't happened for me in the UK except when work has been so low I've been rebated what I did earn. If it's a universal payday then I guess I'm doing it wrong. If you are self-employed and use could use TFD you'll have to decide whether the discounted price enough to warrant the investment or not. Waiting for tax season is not something I am inclined to push for, but I will be mindful of it and will broach the subject.

Kippa
01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
I see that TurbulenceFD supports gpu processing. Is it cuda based or opencl based? I have an AMD 7970 and am interested if it supports OpenCL

eagleeyed
01-27-2013, 08:22 PM
At this stage I am a maybe, been meaning to investigate it however have not due to pricing, as my project would definately need something like this plugin.

In any circumstance, now have it downloading (trial edition), and will update in a couple of days when I have had a play, definately keen though. Been keeping an eye on the program for a while.

m.d.
01-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Just FYI...
Oedo 808 got this going with Jascha because, if you follow turbulence...there have never been sales....probably never will
If you jumped on in the beta...that was the only time you could get a deal...

if we can get 5 people in that is a $100 euro drop in price...or 25%....

if you want in this may be the only time this might come around...so if you ever thought of getting it, I encourage you to get in on this and we can all get it at a significant discount.

m.d.
01-27-2013, 08:52 PM
I see that TurbulenceFD supports gpu processing. Is it cuda based or opencl based? I have an AMD 7970 and am interested if it supports OpenCL

its CUDA accelerated...but you dont need CUDA....the CPU will also work...

Hate to say it, as I was a big ATI fan...but nvidia is the way to go now for media creation....I personally have 7 apps right now that are CUDA accelerated...only 1 or 2 of them can do openCL, and usually not as fast

eagleeyed
01-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Just FYI...
Oedo 808 got this going with Jascha because, if you follow turbulence...there have never been sales....probably never will
If you jumped on in the beta...that was the only time you could get a deal...

if we can get 5 people in that is a $100 euro drop in price...or 25%....

if you want in this may be the only time this might come around...so if you ever thought of getting it, I encourage you to get in on this and we can all get it at a significant discount.

Definately agree, and have been following it from the beta, just never gave it a play with.
I also have noticed the lack of sales (to my displeasure), before I posted in this thread the first time I did a bit of Google-Fu, and could see that a sale still did not seem to have occured.

In any case, will have a think of it, and get back to the thread soon. I am unlikely to actually need the plugin for another 6 months or so going from my current timeline and progress, so will look into whether a paid update could be on the way in that time, which may rule out the benefit of getting it now. Will also try and justify financials.

Shall update soon. :)

Kippa
01-27-2013, 10:09 PM
its CUDA accelerated...but you dont need CUDA....the CPU will also work...

Hate to say it, as I was a big ATI fan...but nvidia is the way to go now for media creation....I personally have 7 apps right now that are CUDA accelerated...only 1 or 2 of them can do openCL, and usually not as fast

There seems to be as big shift from some companies moving away from CUDA to OpenCL. Take Adobe CS5 in Premier and Photoshop they were CUDA based accelerations, where as in CS6 they started to implement OpenCl. It used to be a fight between Nvidia and ATI, but now Intel are comming into the scene with their Intel Phi board which supports OpenCl as well, I can see companies starting to invest in OpenCl quite soon.

m.d.
01-27-2013, 11:18 PM
There seems to be as big shift from some companies moving away from CUDA to OpenCL. Take Adobe CS5 in Premier and Photoshop they were CUDA based accelerations, where as in CS6 they started to implement OpenCl. It used to be a fight between Nvidia and ATI, but now Intel are comming into the scene with their Intel Phi board which supports OpenCl as well, I can see companies starting to invest in OpenCl quite soon.

adobe is trying both....but take for example the AE raytracer...it is 20 times faster in CUDA and I can vouch for that as I have systems with both
openCL is the better, more open alternative....but right now CUDA definitely has more market share

GregMalick
01-27-2013, 11:36 PM
IF we start approaching the 10 user €249 mark - I'm in. But otherwise I don't want to commit at any higher price.

Kippa
01-27-2013, 11:44 PM
adobe is trying both....but take for example the AE raytracer...it is 20 times faster in CUDA and I can vouch for that as I have systems with both
openCL is the better, more open alternative....but right now CUDA definitely has more market share

I agree that CUDA has more market share. The only real competitors that Nvidia had were AMD for gpu processing and they weren't much of a match for Nvida. Intel on the other hand are now entering the fray, they have the money and technlogy to take on Nvidia. It will be interesting to see how this pans out later on this year and the comming years. Look at it from a developers point of view most gpus were Nvidia so CUDA seemed like a good investment over the past few years. Now AMD are doing pretty good gpu processing on mainstream gaming cards using OpenCl, and on top of that Intel bringing out their card which does OpenCl. I think the introduction of the Intel Phi will really help the uptake of OpenCl quite a bit. This year is going to be a really interesting year OpenCl wise.

Kippa
01-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Double post sorry abou that.

omichon
01-28-2013, 12:48 AM
I might be interested too, but if the training material and a documentation announced for a while now would have finally came out, I would have say YES, I am in.
I stay tuned...

ErichSchreiner
01-28-2013, 01:38 AM
So as long as i can use it without a dongle and we could get a serious number oy buyers together i would definately be interested. Please keep us updated here.

Thanks

50one
01-28-2013, 02:19 AM
So we're getting around euro20 off for each person that sign in? I might give it a go, as long as at least 100 folks will sign in:)

madno
01-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Those ones, who already have TFD. How is your experience with support, fulfillment of promises, trust in future development etc.?
I bought TFD for After Effects approx. 2 years ago (it was a beta for 99€). The beta was not ready nor stable for me. Unfortunately the development seems to have stopped (even though no official statement was given). Emails are not answered and feedback via the forum has also stopped round about a year ago. So for me TFD for AE was like throwing 99€ out of the window. Now I fear the same might happen with TFD for LW.

50one
01-28-2013, 03:07 AM
Those ones, who already have TFD. How is your experience with support, fulfillment of promises, trust in future development etc.?
I bought TFD for After Effects approx. 2 years ago (it was a beta for 99€). The beta was not ready nor stable for me. Unfortunately the development seems to have stopped (even though no official statement was given). Emails are not answered and feedback via the forum has also stopped round about a year ago. So for me TFD for AE was like throwing 99€ out of the window. Now I fear the same might happen with TFD for LW.

I was going to ask that question, i know that the development was quite fast in the past, but it looks like the development for LW version stagnated, not sure why, hopefully it's all good and the history won't repeat itself (dynamite), or is there an in-house tool coming for pyro/smoke effects coming to LW?

BigHache
01-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Ahh, sorry to hear that, I've already delayed it to cross over the end of month as to allow for the usual pay cycle, I'm not sure how much room for manoeuvre there is, I'll see.

Nah it's fine. I can't guarantee that I'd be ready by even March. I have to play catch up on some things first.

Netvudu
01-28-2013, 06:25 AM

About future development I can΄t talk, only Jascha knows. Regarding LW support of TFD shots you won΄t have that much help as their forums are kinda deserted. Now, regarding technical support from the developer as for plugin problems or anything similar I can only speak highly of Jawset.
At out school we purchased 10 floating licenses last year, and not only we had a quick reply for any issue, but Jascha changed the whole floating license scheme to better adequate it to our needs! This is good customer support...

Oedo 808
01-29-2013, 01:38 AM
Just to let people know, after some discussion there is likely to be a delay in this offer, details to be finalized but I wanted to mention it lest anyone needing it with any immediacy be left disappointed.

I'll bring an update soon.

Thanks.

Matt.

Afalk
01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up !

DerRaucher
02-01-2013, 12:38 PM
I would be intrestet to.
I only use gfx stuff as hobby, so lower the price finer for me.
So far i have not sendet a mail to Jascha.
Any Idea how much would be in in the moment ?

DerRaucher

Elliot Ave
02-01-2013, 01:28 PM
How many people have signed up so far?

zapper1998
02-02-2013, 07:59 AM
works fine with 11.5

neohaggis
02-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Hey guys .. if enough people are on board, I may be interested also. :)

GregMalick
02-05-2013, 05:23 PM
I think this has been put on hold for some reason.

ejo3rd
02-05-2013, 09:38 PM
I'd be interested if the offer is available

safarifx
02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
http://www.safari-fx.de/TFD/explo_1.jpg
http://www.safari-fx.de/TFD/explo_2.jpg
http://www.safari-fx.de/TFD/explo_3.jpg

and here some up res versions

http://www.safari-fx.de/TFD/explo_4.jpg
http://www.safari-fx.de/TFD/explo_5.jpg
http://www.safari-fx.de/TFD/explo_6.jpg
(all renders out of the box)

big up @ jascha for that magic tool !

@ com / all

this tool is "fume fx" for lightwave ;) buy it ! (and its better you have a grafic card with cuda )

snip safx

karla521
02-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Is this offer still available?

Oedo 808
02-09-2013, 06:37 PM
I just need to clarify a few things and I'll let you know, it's still ongoing, but we may well be looking at a window that takes the tax season into account for some in the US.

GregMalick
02-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Just to let people know, after some discussion there is likely to be a delay in this offer, details to be finalized but I wanted to mention it lest anyone needing it with any immediacy be left disappointed.

I'll bring an update soon.

Thanks.

Matt.

I thought the offer was on hold.

3dworks
02-10-2013, 01:43 AM
i might be interested as well, but is it possible to know how many people are already in this offer? ...or is it already to late to participate?

cheers

markus

Oedo 808
02-10-2013, 03:48 AM
I thought the offer was on hold.

It is, what I meant by that was that the offer wasn't dead, it was delayed while I queried a change for a longer time because I couldn't have said how it would have affected the timing with which to apply. Also I don't want anyone who would not be able to wait to opt in, as one condition is that all accounts are set up at the same time, so I'll post an update this week with an end date so people can make a decision based on that. If anyone I have PM'd has yet to respond, please do, I know I lost one message to full inbox.

i might be interested as well, but is it possible to know how many people are already in this offer? ...or is it already to late to participate?

It's not too late, I'll get an update on any numbers that were in before the delay and post that as well in the next few days.

Sorry for the shifting goalposts folks, but we're trying to be as accommodating as is reasonable to those who have ask it of us.

fishhead
02-10-2013, 08:21 AM
in this case: count me in also... :-)

m.d.
02-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Odeo has been working on this for a while with jascha....
If you have any interest p.m. him right away.
He is waiting to get others on board, but the numbers are pretty well there and the buy might happen sooner then you think.

GregMalick
02-10-2013, 10:21 AM
BTW - is the Lock ID shown on the NewTek My Products page the same as the Dongle ID?

m.d.
02-10-2013, 01:10 PM
pretty sure hardware lock is the same as dongle...
thats what I emailed...

GregMalick
02-10-2013, 04:47 PM
pretty sure hardware lock is the same as dongle...
thats what I emailed...

me too.

corny
02-11-2013, 01:45 AM
I need to know how much before I committed. Please keep me update.....thank you very much

simno
02-11-2013, 04:31 AM
Email sent, looking forward to hearing more about this now.

ShadowMystic
02-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Add me to the count. I already e-mailed Jascha(sp?) to add me. Since we're waiting.I'm almost certain I'll be in on the purchase due to the delay for tax refunds.

mav3rick
02-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Turbulance is great addon to Lightwave.. I was also weighting over price but i bought it in the end to do some pyro stuff for my friend.. 4 months later i had commercial project that payed it off! it really is great piece of plugin and i highly recommend to any1 that are into professional 3d work. For those hobbyist i hope you will succeeded with this group purchase and have fun with T4D

ActionBob
02-11-2013, 10:11 AM
On a related note, I was noticing that Turbulence was much less expensive as an After Effects plug-in. Any reason why or are there limitations to having it in After Effects Vs. Lightwave? I have both, but as always, would want the least expensive route - so long as I am not getting a castrated version due to which software app it resides in.

Any input?

-Adrian

m.d.
02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
AE is 2d...

m.d.
02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Add me to the count. I already e-mailed Jascha(sp?) to add me. Since we're waiting.I'm almost certain I'll be in on the purchase due to the delay for tax refunds.

Once we reach 7-10 the trigger will probably be pulled....10 people don't want to wait 3-4 months
Might have to break out the credit card....the interest on it will be a few dollars

ActionBob
02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
AE is 2d...

Thanks for the info. When I browsed the site, I was wondering why it was so less expensive for AE. 2d only is definitely a minus.... However, I wonder why it is only 2d when AE does have support in it for objects in 3d space... hhhmmm..... Well, I guess the more you can do within your favorite 3d app, the better.

Thanks again for the info!

-Adrian

m.d.
02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Well you can't even bring in objects into 3d space in AE natively....
So doing a volumetric 3d effect would be way beyond AE's limited 3d capability...for now...

GregMalick
02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Once we reach 7-10 the trigger will probably be pulled....10 people don't want to wait 3-4 months
Might have to break out the credit card....the interest on it will be a few dollars

So far there are two definite users bringing the price down from €399 to €374 per user, there are two maybes that would make this €324, a fifth would be €299. Should any more come on board after that then say seven would be €270, ten would be €249 with eleven at €244 and so on.

Seems to me that 10 is not the limit. I think it's been indicated that some unknown end-date is the limit.

ShadowMystic
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Seems to me that 10 is not the limit. I think it's been indicated that some unknown end-date is the limit.

Yes. The last estimate was first of may to allow time for us US folks to get our tax returns. It was mentioned that if you need TFD for a job that you shouldn't wait due to the uncertain date.

As for credit card, I don't use TFD for my work yet so I don't see the need. IDK about other places but in the US having a high utilization rate even if paid off often can affect your credit score. Also, I am planning on getting a new Nvidia GFX card with CUDA to supplement TFD.

In the end, if they do decide to "pull the trigger" when not everyone is ready and I miss out, it won't bother me none.
While I do get a little from 3D and VFX, mostly its just a hobby. A really expensive hobby. Or is saying that redundant.

Oedo 808
02-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Hello folks.

Just to let you know this offer will now run until the 30th of April, so if you intend to purchase please email Jascha at [email protected] to let him know and title the email as LightWave User Group Purchase.

Tutorials are planned but have been put back a few times so there is no definitive date for these at present lest a given date be missed. OpenCL is on the roadmap but will not be implemented in the immediate future so those looking for GPU acceleration need to look to a CUDA capable card for this. Particle advection for LightWave is on the roadmap for the current development cycle.

I am not affiliated with TFD, this is simply the information I have been given, I offer no guarantees, take a look at the TurbulenceFD website (http://www.jawset.com/), there is a Learning Edition available to try there, find out if this is for you and make your decision based on your own needs accordingly.

The current price is €240 (plus VAT where applicable), as shown in the opening post the group purchase model has diminishing returns and the subsequent price will not be far off this.

Thanks.

Matt.

GregMalick
02-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Hello folks.

Just to let you know this offer will now run until the 30th of April, so if you intend to purchase please email Jascha at [email protected] to let him know and title the email as LightWave User Group Purchase.

Tutorials are planned but have been put back a few times so there is no definitive date for these at present lest a given date be missed. OpenCL is on the roadmap but will not be implemented in the immediate future so those looking for GPU acceleration need to look to a CUDA capable card for this. Particle advection for LightWave is on the roadmap for the current development cycle.

I am not affiliated with TFD, this is simply the information I have been given, I offer no guarantees, take a look at the TurbulenceFD website (http://www.jawset.com/), there is a Learning Edition available to try there, find out if this is for you and make your decision based on your own needs accordingly.

The current price is €240 (plus VAT where applicable), as shown in the opening post the group purchase model has diminishing returns and the subsequent price will not be far off this.

Thanks.

Matt.

that's $320 - quite a good deal IMO.

omichon
02-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Hey Matt, thanks for the update and your involvement in this deal !
That's good saving for sure...Now sending a mail to Jascha :)

antsj
02-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Greg,

I somewhat agree on the price coming down into the 200 range better for me. An ideal exchange rate cost would be $195 per license group sale.
The dare to share group buy came in at a very good deal that if the price here parallel 2012 Project Messiah 5 Dare to Share of sat $125 to 135 in the group buy I would be looking to get 2 license. That way I could have one in the home-office-shop and attempt a portable rib on a lap top for prototyping/design in the field with person. Having the two license lik that would also I imagine help in the rendering scene files on small render set up at home and allow work to continue on other scenes or simulations.

I have sent in an email and not had a reply. Is that common experience for others. Hearing today that the cut off date will be April 30, 2013. I am interested to hear more about more info to send, such as payment and eta for shipment and much other-stuff

I may send a second email to [email protected] if I have not received an initial email response to email that was sent to him approximately February 2 2013.

aj

BigHache
02-15-2013, 04:04 AM
antsj, no that's not typical. I got a response from Jascha I think two days after mailing him.

mav3rick
02-15-2013, 06:24 AM
why dont you guys start some crowd funding deal for group buy of lw license. and if you reach target number of orders till 30 april you will be charged.

that's most fair for all users going into this deal...

i suggest Matt to talk to Sascha how much sale he can offer for specific number of licenses sold and if you guys succeeded than deal will be made.

wyattharris
02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
That is a really good offer. By the end of this week I'll know better.

GregMalick
02-15-2013, 02:00 PM
The deal is sweet enough for me already, that's why I'm in.

I really really hope that some video tutorials are ready by the end of March.
That's more important than saving another 5 or 10 bucks.

BTW, is the learning edition required to be installed or is the Full version a totally different plugin?

jackany
02-20-2013, 04:46 AM
Just played with the Learning Edition. Very impressive AddOn for LightWave.
I've seen it before but never had a paid project asking for gaseous fluids.

But with this incredible offer I'm in! [although I am still trying to get a mail to Jascha as both mail contacts failed]

BTW, am I right that you can't get non gaseous fluids with TurbulenceFD (water etc.)?

kfinla
02-21-2013, 03:52 AM
I'm interested also. Sounds like particle advection is near :). When I'm home from a business trip I'll confirm my dongle id. And send an email.

BigHache
02-21-2013, 04:23 AM
BTW, am I right that you can't get non gaseous fluids with TurbulenceFD (water etc.)?

Correct. Jascha stated in the past that he would consider a module for water, but that it would be a separate module.

Oedo 808
02-21-2013, 04:43 AM
why dont you guys start some crowd funding deal for group buy of lw license.
This was m.d.'s brainchild, I can't take credit for that, I was just looking to see if it was happening ended up organizing it and this is as much as I want to do, if anyone wishes to try and organize something beyond this then they are welcome to, but it won't be me.

BTW, is the learning edition required to be installed or is the Full version a totally different plugin?
There is a separate package for the licensed plug-in.

Just played with the Learning Edition. Very impressive AddOn for LightWave.
I've seen it before but never had a paid project asking for gaseous fluids.

But with this incredible offer I'm in! [although I am still trying to get a mail to Jascha as both mail contacts failed]

That's right, as BigHache says, Turbulence is not currently for liquids, I will ask but I would suppose that it is on the roadmap, beyond that, difficult to be more specific. TFD is in its v1 development cycle and it is difficult to project the progress of new features with any software. It is important people check out the showreel and the learning version and decide if TFD is for them according to that criteria rather than what it might do.

Jascha has not experienced any issue with emails that he knows of and I was able to contact him without issue. If you cannot find any issue your end, you can PM me your details if you are sure you wish to purchase TFD and I will pass them on for you.

I'm interested also. Sounds like particle advection is near

Planned for as a point release during the v1 cycle :) more than that I couldn't say. As mentioned, please assess TFD according to what it can already achieve.

jackany
02-21-2013, 04:44 AM
Jascha stated in the past that he would consider a module for water, but that it would be a separate module.

Would be great not having to switch to blender for liquids!

Thomas Helzle
02-21-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm really tempted. I tried some more graphical uses and that works very well too:

What makes me reluctant is the rather "closed" approach with no nodes to bring it towards XSI ICE or change the look considerably.
But if enough people buy it, that may be an incentive to keep at it for the developer, now that LW finds back on track.

Hm... :-)

Cheers,

Tom

jackany
02-21-2013, 06:42 AM
If you cannot find any issue your end, you can PM me your details if you are sure you wish to purchase TFD and I will pass them on for you.

Hi Matt, many thanks for your efforts!
This time my mail went through and I got an instant reply from Jascha :dance:

Thanks again,
Stephan

m.d.
02-21-2013, 09:00 AM
This was m.d.'s brainchild, I can't take credit for that, I was just looking to see if it was happening ended up organizing it and this is as much as I want to do, if anyone wishes to try and organize something beyond this then they are welcome to, but it won't be me.

Well thanks for organizing this one Matt....
I know you spent a lot of time emailing and PM to get the ball rolling...and probably felt like pulling teeth at times....
But at least you will have the satisfaction that you saved a bunch of people a good chunk of money on something the world desperately needs...
Good CG flames!!!

Thomas Helzle
02-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Oedo: Tried to reply to your PM but the forum said your inbox is full ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Oedo 808
02-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Oedo: Tried to reply to your PM but the forum said your inbox is full ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Ahh ffs! How does it happen so fast, that's the second time :o, sorry about that, I've cleared it out now.

Cheers.

Thomas Helzle
02-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Heheheh :-)

kopperdrake
03-01-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm in - cheers Odeo for organising this. I've been tempted for so long by TurbulenceFD, but not having a specific job has meant I've just not got round to it. At that price though I can just put some time away to have fun!

Cheers :thumbsup:

ShadowMystic
03-01-2013, 04:09 PM
what's the count to? What's the current price?

philthorn
03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't know why this thread confuses me but is there a price fixed for this yet?

I don't have an urgent need for TurbulenceFD but it looks cool enough to add to my toolbox depending on the price.

-Phil

bta1701
03-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I just e-mailed Jascha - I'm in. This is really cool; thanks Oedo for all your work on this. :)

bart

wesleycorgi
03-01-2013, 08:31 PM
I requested my spot also today.

ShadowMystic
03-01-2013, 08:40 PM
With all the commitments so far, I am getting excited to purchase a great tool at a great discount while providing a great developer an influx of income. Great. :P

corny
03-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Hi..me too...abit confuse about this thread...what is the actual price??? like to know the price before i commited myself..thank you

slanz
03-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Interested, probably too late.

Wireframex
03-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi..me too...abit confuse about this thread...what is the actual price??? like to know the price before i commited myself..thank you

Same here

GregMalick
03-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Hello folks.

Thanks.

Matt.

This is a couple pages back in this thread. I think you should use this as your benchmark.

Oedo 808
03-04-2013, 12:54 PM
This is a couple pages back in this thread. I think you should use this as your benchmark.

Thanks for that.

There isn't a definite price because obviously the price for this group buy depends on the size of the group, as mentioned there are diminishing returns for each new participant, which is understandable, so I'll find out what the absolute ceiling is and if it has been reached yet.

My system is currently offline and will be for a few days yet so I'll be online intermittently.

3djock
03-04-2013, 01:28 PM
that's $320 - quite a good deal IMO.
Quite a deal since I paid $500 for it last year.

GregMalick
03-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Yes, quite a deal.
At the current exchange rate, €240 is $312.
if you're balking at that amount, I think you need to cross Turbulence off your list.
It probably isn't going to go a great deal lower.

Odeo, if we have reached the lower price limit, you might want to ask whether people can purchase before April 30.
It might make it easier if all the purchases don't come in on one day.
Just a thought. I can always wait - no sweat.

Thomas Helzle
03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Yeah, wondered about that too. As it is, we would get the license on April 30, right, not earlier?

Cheers,

Tom

Oedo 808
03-04-2013, 03:12 PM
It was preferred that account creation take place at the same time rather than it being done incrementally, so I wouldn't expect that it will be any time sooner. As for the exact date when purchases can be made it will be after the 30th as people will be allowed to submit up until then, and he will need to set up the accounts before purchases can be made.

But I will seek clarification.

Thomas Helzle
03-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks Oedo! :-)

Just showed some fire & smoke to a client and he may actually want some flames ...
But not sure yet, it may just as well not happen.

Cheers,

Tom

antsj
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=GregMalick;1306296]Yes, quite a deal.
At the current exchange rate, €240 is $312.
if you're balking at that amount, I think you need to cross Turbulence off your list.
It probably isn't going to go a great deal lower.

I was able to get through using a Gmail address to Jascha. Like reports from others, the price can continue to drop as others become involved in the Group Purchase. Reviewing others who have commented in the thread including the suggested discount in the initial offering of the thread, the price has gone down since Greg Malick's posting and has moved down to €220 or $300.

So, I hope more do join the group buy as it will be the best method to reducing purchase price for those wanting to add Turbulence HD to Light Wave.

aj

Thomas Helzle
03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for posting antsj,

at that price I get even more tempted...

Hm...

UnCommonGrafx
03-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Hmm... me, too.

antsj
03-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Yeh, I am just trying to help others know that the price has continued to drop below Greg's posting. I have joined the Group Purchase recently and found out that price drop had continued a downward trend.

I am glad the info may help you or others in their decision.

aj

erikals
03-05-2013, 03:58 PM
...and me.

(ok, in, just sent info to jascha)

nickdigital
03-05-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm in.

erikals
03-05-2013, 04:22 PM
hi Chan, did you send the email to jawset?

nickdigital
03-05-2013, 04:35 PM
hi Chan, did you send the email to jawset?

Yep. :)

erikals
03-05-2013, 04:49 PM
current price is a bit under €220 or $300
i've checked, and the price will not go below €210

so jump on-board, it won't get any cheaper... ;]

people in this thread on the buy list (who have emailed jawset)

Oedo 808
simno
erikals
ShadowMystic
olivier MICHON
jackany
kopperdrake
bta1701
wesleycorgi
nickdigital

people in this thread that say "maybe / possibly"...

BigHache
eagleeyed
GregMalick
ErichSchreiner
50one
DerRaucher
neohaggis
ejo3rd
3dworks
fishhead
corny
ActionBob (?)
wyattharris
kfinla
Thomas Helzle
philthorn
slanz

(note, this list is not 100% accurate)

adk
03-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Count me in there as well erikals as an 85% chance - depending how my work situation pans out in a few weeks.
I'll shoot through an email to jawset.

GregMalick
03-05-2013, 05:15 PM

Oedo 808
simno
erikals
ShadowMystic
olivier MICHON
jackany
kopperdrake
bta1701
wesleycorgi
nickdigital

BigHache
eagleeyed
GregMalick
ErichSchreiner
50one
DerRaucher
neohaggis
ejo3rd
3dworks
fishhead
corny
ActionBob (?)
wyattharris
kfinla
Thomas Helzle
philthorn
slanz

That is not an accurate list.
I emailed Jascha on 2/10/2013.
He responded on 2/11/2013.

Thanks Greg,

i've put you on the list.

--
Jascha Wetzel
jawset visual computing
http://jawset.com

ShadowMystic
03-05-2013, 05:16 PM
That is quite a list. Jascha better be working on LW improvement after this is done. I bet $8,100 in income will boost development resources nicely. Hope to see more sure commitments.

erikals
03-05-2013, 05:51 PM
That is not an accurate list.
I emailed Jascha on 2/10/2013.
He responded on 2/11/2013.

the list is based on this specific thread, so yep, it is not 100% accurate.
it's an estimate.

DerRaucher
03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
yes i am allrdy in to

ShadowMystic
03-05-2013, 06:29 PM
the list is based on this specific thread, so yep, it is not 100% accurate.
it's an estimate.

Thanks for taking your time, erikals. I hope it will become more definite as we get closer. Looking to get a new GFX card to exploit CUDA calculations in TFD. 660,670, or 680GTX.

m.d.
03-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Oedo 808
simno
erikals
ShadowMystic
olivier MICHON
jackany
kopperdrake
bta1701
wesleycorgi
nickdigital

BigHache
eagleeyed
GregMalick
ErichSchreiner
50one
DerRaucher
neohaggis
ejo3rd
3dworks
fishhead
corny
ActionBob (?)
wyattharris
kfinla
Thomas Helzle
philthorn
slanz

(note, this list is not 100% accurate)
I've been in from the start as well

Waves of light
03-06-2013, 01:38 AM
Wow, that is a heck of a saving. May have to consider this.

Mastoy
03-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Yup ... me too !

Afalk
03-06-2013, 02:13 AM
I'm in already too Erikals :) Just waiting for them to say "Buy Now"! hehe. Nice update to the price though, definitely a positive thing!

kopperdrake
03-06-2013, 02:56 AM
It's funny to think in a few weeks we're likely to see a handful of little LightWave studios and users across the globe suddenly adding fire and smoke to their showreels thanks to this thread ;)

On the note of graphics cards and CUDA, I've never really bothered to look into the CUDA side of things, not really knowing what it does. I run a 560Ti here with 384 CUDA cores, and I have absolutely diddly squat what they do for me or my computer. But then I notice the GTX 670 has 1344 CUDA cores, the GTX 680 has 1536, the GTX 690 has 3072 and the GTX TITAN has 2688.

Question is, what does all that mean? Will my 560Ti benefit greatly from an upgrade to a GTX 690. I mean, I know it'll be faster for all things, but will it be ten times faster as it has roughly 10 times more CUDA cores?

Any advice to drop into my noggle-box is greatly appreciated and will earn several karma dollars to boot.

NB Karma dollars are not like ordinary currency, in that Karma has yet to be traded on the commodities market and therefore will not see a sudden loss (or growth) out of proportion from the initial investment. You will, at some point, see a return on them. As Karma dollars are an intangible asset, they can not be seen by investment bankers, and therefore have not been traded, yet. Of course, the trading of invisible, intangible assets is not entirely out of bounds, as can be seen by the unhealthy trading of 'morals' that investment bankers have carried out over the past few decades. Karma can not fall into this category, as trading in Karma will, by its very nature, result in negative Karma, and therefore eventually nullify any gains made by the trading in it. It is a self-balancing currency and can not be abused or held to ransom.

erikals
03-06-2013, 03:16 AM
thank you, just trying to make a small overview, but first of all let's thank Matt "Oedo 808"

he is the reason for the 50% rebate http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

BokadCastle
03-06-2013, 03:40 AM
I've been in from the start as well
I've emailed Jawset to say I'll buy. Last week, I think.
- didn't think it necessary to say so here. No particular reason.
Might be more who did same.

geo_n
03-06-2013, 04:01 AM
On the note of graphics cards and CUDA, I've never really bothered to look into the CUDA side of things, not really knowing what it does. I run a 560Ti here with 384 CUDA cores, and I have absolutely diddly squat what they do for me or my computer. But then I notice the GTX 670 has 1344 CUDA cores, the GTX 680 has 1536, the GTX 690 has 3072 and the GTX TITAN has 2688.

Question is, what does all that mean? Will my 560Ti benefit greatly from an upgrade to a GTX 690. I mean, I know it'll be faster for all things, but will it be ten times faster as it has roughly 10 times more CUDA cores?

The 660 TI has 1344 CUDA and its probably the bang for the buck card.
As for speed can't compare gpu to gpu but I can compare that my lowend 640gt is as fast as my I7 3770 in TFD. That was a shock how fast gpu is with TFD. So 1000 plus cuda cores should scream. But for big scenes you will need ram anyway, more than 16 gig.

erikals
03-06-2013, 04:09 AM
thanks geo_n, good info :]

kopperdrake
03-06-2013, 04:25 AM
Cheers geo_n, an excuse to upgrade ;)

Out of curiosity, would two 660Ti cards in SLI mean double the CUDA cores when it comes to something like Turbulence?

souzou
03-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Yeah I'm already in too, sent Jasha an email a few days ago.

antsj
03-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Just to add from others post, I emailed Jascha and received the email from him on registration/enrollment for the group buy.
Now, I am at the stage many are at in the group purchase: waiting for the "buy now" sign.

I forgot to ask if an email would be sent or to watch notification on this list or...? Does anyone else registered know the answer? It is great to hear that the target price has been triggered or getting very close.

aj

erikals
03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
not sure, but i expect myself or others to bump this thread when such info arrives ;]

m.d.
03-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Out of curiosity, would two 660Ti cards in SLI mean double the CUDA cores when it comes to something like Turbulence?

Turbulence only will use 1 card to accelerate at this time...

ActionBob
03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
I like how there is a question mark by my name. I AM actually interesting in this. However I am doing my taxes this weekend and I am pretty sure I am going to OWE... How much will decide on whether I pull the trigger on this deal. Money is tight at moment, but with a deal like this, i would love to put the 1500+ cuda cores on my gtx 680 to work with an app like this. :-)

-Adrian

BokadCastle
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I remember from the trial version, you can select which card TFD uses.

Of value if the cards differ, you select the more powerful.

kopperdrake
03-06-2013, 03:35 PM

That's saved me some money - thanks :)

kopperdrake
03-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I remember from the trial version, you can select which card TFD uses.

Of value if the cards differ, you select the more powerful.

So I could keep my 560Ti and install a 690 or similar *as well*?! Each running their own monitor? That could be useful.

ShadowMystic
03-06-2013, 04:24 PM

It was stated the multi GPU calculation is in the future, but don't count on it soon. I can't find the source so even take my statement with a grain of salt... and maybe a lime and some Tequila.

BokadCastle
03-06-2013, 04:48 PM
So I could keep my 560Ti and install a 690 or similar *as well*?! Each running their own monitor? That could be useful.

this is where you select your card - under the 'Rendering' tab.

m.d.
03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
It was stated the multi GPU calculation is in the future, but don't count on it soon. I can't find the source so even take my statement with a grain of salt... and maybe a lime and some Tequila.

That was a reply to my question on the turbulence forum...
http://www2.jawset.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=786

3dworks
03-07-2013, 03:36 AM
i've emailed jascha as well today...

jboudreau
03-07-2013, 04:34 AM
i also emailed jascha a few days ago

COBRASoft
03-07-2013, 08:35 AM
I've just installed the demo and must say it works nice on my Titan. Unfortunately, my Titan (or 680) is not used 100% while calculating. Is there a reason for this? I would expect that my GFX card would be used 100% during the calculations.

Elliot Ave
03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
any idea how many CUDA cores you need to make this functional?

Thomas Helzle
03-07-2013, 12:19 PM

geo_n
03-07-2013, 07:01 PM

The low lowend cards won't work. I tried a gt 210 and that card is picky with cuda support though it works with sony vegas.

Megalodon2.0
03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm in too!

Just sent Jascha the email.

:thumbsup:

Thomas Helzle
03-08-2013, 03:25 AM

It works even with my ages old GeForce 8800GT with 512MB, although the gains are little and the RAM is exhausted fast.
So as usual, the more the better ;-)

Waves of light
03-08-2013, 03:37 AM
It works even with my ages old GeForce 8800GT with 512MB, although the gains are little and the RAM is exhausted fast.
So as usual, the more the better ;-)

That's good to know, as I only have a 9500GT.

Thomas Helzle
03-08-2013, 03:46 AM
Well, as I said, it doesn't help you much.
My Dual 8 Core Mac Pro from 2008 is faster with the calculations than that GPU and doesn't have the RAM limitations.
But I'm about to build a new rig and hope that a 660GTX TI will have some more bite.

Cheers,

Tom

Waves of light
03-08-2013, 03:49 AM
Well, as I said, it doesn't help you much.
My Dual 8 Core Mac Pro from 2008 is faster with the calculations than that GPU and doesn't have the RAM limitations.
But I'm about to build a new rig and hope that a 660GTX TI will have some more bite.

Cheers,

Tom

Yer, I'm due a new rig, but I'm currently waiting on a potential job to drop and even if it does RHiggit (which is on special offer at the moment) and now this TurbulenceFD deal are topping my want list.

Thomas Helzle
03-08-2013, 03:51 AM
hehehe

Good luck then!

wesleycorgi
03-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Is TFD cross platform licensed --- meaning if I purchase TFD, I can use either Mac or Win version -- as long as I'm not running at the same time?

phillydee
03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I'll know in a few days if I can indeed PULL THE TRIGGER... I know my oc'd GTX680 is rearing to bite into this!

Oedo 808
03-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Hello folks,

Is TFD cross platform licensed --- meaning if I purchase TFD, I can use either Mac or Win version -- as long as I'm not running at the same time?

The licensing is cross platform.

A bit of regurgitation here, but to help people keep up to date:

This offer will run until the 30th of April, if you are sure you wish to purchase please email Jascha at [email protected] to let him know and title the email as LightWave User Group Purchase. Licences will be available shortly after the end date of the 30th April once all accounts have been set up, no licences will be issued before then.

I am not affiliated with TFD, this is simply the information I have been given, I offer no guarantees, take a look at the TurbulenceFD website (http://www.jawset.com/), there is a Learning Edition available to try there, check out the showreel and the learning version and decide if TFD is for you according what it is already capable of.

The current price is €213.29 (plus VAT where applicable), the group purchase model has diminishing returns and the subsequent price will not be far off this.

Thanks.

Matt.

GregMalick
03-13-2013, 02:06 AM
$278.56 -- that is an amazing deal.

Thanks Matt. And thank Jascha for us.

Afalk
03-13-2013, 04:57 AM
So excited ! Can't wait till Matt & Jascha send out the coupon code :D

antsj
03-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Matt,
thanks for the update and price for TFD Group Purchase. I am looking forward to getting the email from Jascha.

aj

ShadowMystic
03-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I e-mailed jascha confirming my commitment. I didn't receive a response. He must be buried by our correspondences.

davyforce
03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Also Emailed Jascha- Lets do this!! C'mon Apr. 30!

ShadowMystic
03-20-2013, 05:34 PM
GTX 660 3GB coming tomorrow.

ShadowMystic
03-21-2013, 06:28 PM
GTX 660 ti installed and running. This baby flies compared to my 560 ti! For a while I was getting pretty good at TFD. Maybe I'll use this new card to produce some tutorials on the basics while I get better at the advanced stuff

corny
04-01-2013, 06:55 AM
i just emailed Jascha.

GregMalick
04-01-2013, 09:22 AM
GTX 660 ti installed and running. This baby flies compared to my 560 ti! For a while I was getting pretty good at TFD. Maybe I'll use this new card to produce some tutorials on the basics while I get better at the advanced stuffWhy did you upgrade from 560 t0 660?

realgray
04-01-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm concerned that if I jump on this I will see my next LW upgrade include TFD. Newtek has asked (like they did about AE which led to goAE) would we like TFD as part of a future upgrade. Has anyone talked about these concerns?

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131343-Is-TurbulenceFD-part-of-your-workflow

erikals
04-01-2013, 10:24 AM
might happen, though it's more likely not to, same question was also asked about Messiah years back.

realgray
04-01-2013, 10:38 AM
might happen, though it's more likely not to, same question was also asked about Messiah years back.

I can see that point. Although I wouldn't hold Rob and the Lightwave Group to past expectations. They already did that promotion with poser and now they have the lwcad deal (price wise similar to TFD). I would say a future promotion with TFD is a strong possibility. Guess I'm just being a little cautious.

Thomas Helzle
04-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah, but you will probably not get any hard data on this possibility from Newtek, so I don't really see the point.
If you need or want it now, go for it, if not, don't.
Or did I miss something?

Cheers,

Tom

realgray
04-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Yeah, but you will probably not get any hard data on this possibility from Newtek, so I don't really see the point.
If you need or want it now, go for it, if not, don't.
Or did I miss something?

Cheers,

Tom

I guess your right. Any word on particle advection or any other differences between the LW and C4D versions?

Tranimatronic
04-01-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm concerned that if I jump on this I will see my next LW upgrade include TFD. Newtek has asked (like they did about AE which led to goAE) would we like TFD as part of a future upgrade. Has anyone talked about these concerns?

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131343-Is-TurbulenceFD-part-of-your-workflow

Newtek is awesomw in this respect. I bought Fiber Effects plugin just before it was integrated into Lightwave (9 I think) and got the next Lightwave upgrade for free. All out of the goodness of their hearts. Im not speaking for Newtek here, but if past events are anything to go by, I wouldnt worry too much.

Thomas Helzle
04-01-2013, 11:32 AM
When I wrote a mail to Jascha asking about some of these things, he basically said I should make my decision based on what is there now, not on future hopes.
He wrote that the code base is the same for both/all platforms, only the plugins/interfaces are different.
(I don't know if advection is somehow technically problematic to implement in Lightwave or if he simply hasn't gotten around to it.)
The same for Tutorials and improved docs - he said he hopes to be able to finally update/create them this year, but couldn't promise it.

This group buy seems to generate a lot of interest, maybe this produces enough income for him to be able to dedicate more time to it - or not, I'm just speculating here like anybody else.

I got the impression that he is a honest guy with a great product, but not exactly the talkative kind, as can be seen in his sparsely used forum as well.
Many developers are like that. Can be a bit distressing for the user (who usually likes to be a bit more communicated with) but is much better than guys who promise too much and can't back it up.

I personally am still on the fence. I don't really need the plugin, but I like it a lot.

My main concern is, that it's a very dedicated tool that does Fire and Smoke very very well, but not much else and it can't be "misused" as much as I would like.
I'm spoiled by XSI ICE in that regard, plugins for that nodes based system can be connected to everything else, so you can do a fluid simulation but render it with animated flys as particles or whatever you can come up with.
And while the TFD shader is very good for what it does, you can't texture the fire with a metallic surface or other crazy things you might want...

Well, I guess I'll decide spontaneously - it's still almost a month until the deadline... :-)

Cheers,

Tom

ShadowMystic
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Why did you upgrade from 560 t0 660?

I upgraded for +~1000 CUDA cores and + 2GBs of VRAM.

The 560ti is now in my gaming PC.

CourtJester
04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm definitely in, though I have to wait until I get back to Vegas later this week where my main machine is. Also time to start shopping for an upgrade to the video board; my current board is a 460 with only 1GB of GDDR5. I've been told by someone with lots of TurbulenceFD experience that 3 or 4GB is optimal.

ShadowMystic
04-01-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm definitely in, though I have to wait until I get back to Vegas later this week where my main machine is. Also time to start shopping for an upgrade to the video board; my current board is a 460 with only 1GB of GDDR5. I've been told by someone with lots of TurbulenceFD experience that 3 or 4GB is optimal.

Look at this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130811

corny
04-03-2013, 05:29 AM
Send email to Jascha...how long he usually take to reply??? I am looking forward to getting the email from Jascha.thank

wesleycorgi
04-03-2013, 11:38 AM
He got back to me in a couple of hours if not sooner.

corny
04-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Hmm... being waiting for few days.. still no reply from Jascha.. should I email him again???

Markc
04-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Maybe he's on vacation!
If you haven't purchased anything yet, I would give it a bit longer (it's not like your waiting for the product).
The cut off date is the end of April, so still a while yet.

MannaTheBerserk
04-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Hi guys,

I'd like to be in, but I own Lightwave 11.5, so no dongle ID for me.

Should I provide the "Lock ID" instead?

Thank you very much in advance.

Mauro

GregMalick
04-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Yes, "LOCK ID"

MannaTheBerserk
04-05-2013, 03:47 AM
Yes, "LOCK ID"

Thank you!

Ok, email sent, I suppose I am in. :)

TalleyJC
04-09-2013, 12:01 PM
I emailed today.

Oedo 808
04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Hello folks,

Just to clarify on the dongle/lock ID, you need not include it in the email to Jascha, however you will need it to make your purchase along with the email address used to register your participation. Jascha will send confirmation that he has received your email, please check your spam folder if you are still awaiting a response after a few days have passed, if there are any problems you can PM me on here.

And the usual...

This offer will run until the 30th of April, there will be no further extension on this date, if you are sure you wish to purchase please email Jascha at [email protected].com to let him know and title the email as LightWave User Group Purchase. Licences will be available shortly after the end date of the 30th April once all accounts have been set up, no licences will be issued before then.

I am not affiliated with TFD, this is simply the information I have been given, I offer no guarantees, take a look at the TurbulenceFD website (http://www.jawset.com/), there is a Learning Edition available to try there, check out the showreel and the learning version and decide if TFD is for you according what it is already capable of.

The current price is €209.20 (plus VAT where applicable), the group purchase model has diminishing returns and the subsequent price will not be far off this.

Thanks.

Matt.

mav3rick
04-10-2013, 01:07 AM
wow almost 50% off introduction price! that is hell of nice offer. wish i was ordering in this time :) however t4d is really nice plugin everyone should have

mr zero
04-10-2013, 04:52 AM
Hi,
I would like to get in, too. But my Mails are being returned as failed delivery.
Anyone else have this Problem?

Alex

TalleyJC
04-10-2013, 06:19 AM
I got a response already so, no issues here.

Dennik
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Just added myself. Too good opportunity to pass.

BigHache
04-10-2013, 05:09 PM
When do we submit payment? Are we waiting until the 30th, or anytime up until?

ShadowMystic
04-10-2013, 05:14 PM
When do we submit payment? Are we waiting until the 30th, or anytime up until?

We will receive info after 30th, according to the e-mail Jascha sent me.
"You will receive further details on how to make the purchase shortly after April 30th.

--
Jascha Wetzel
jawset visual computing
http://jawset.com"

phillydee
04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Just got back from NAB... and MAN!! I saw TFD in action at the Nvidia boooooth! Yeah the dude giving the demo was great--I saw TFD running though on a workstation with quad TESLAs so the burning ball was burning without breaking a sweat... real-time ofc. Sick cards, those Teslas!

Anyway, submitted my email, I have a project coming up that will need TFD so I'm pretty excited.

ShadowMystic
04-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Just got back from NAB... and MAN!! I saw TFD in action at the Nvidia boooooth! Yeah the dude giving the demo was great--I saw TFD running though on a workstation with quad TESLAs so the burning ball was burning without breaking a sweat... real-time ofc. Sick cards, those Teslas!

Anyway, submitted my email, I have a project coming up that will need TFD so I'm pretty excited.

TFD was powerful and fun when I first used it.

Now that I have a CUDA card with a bit of oomph, It is even better with faster iteration. Quad-TESLA would be insane!

phillydee
04-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Quad-TESLA would be insane!

The janitors were mopping up my drool as I saw flames basically burn through the monitor in realtime. LOL.

XswampyX
04-10-2013, 06:19 PM
The speed using a Titan card seems to be about 10x faster than my 6 core phenom.

Great price now. I may have another look at this. :D

http://youtu.be/45V-UTv2akY

wyattharris
04-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Alright I'm in. Just emailed Jascha.

Dennik
04-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Can we start an official thread with GPU benchmarks? I need to decide on a graphics card soon. :)

The speed using a Titan card seems to be about 10x faster than my 6 core phenom.

Great price now. I may have another look at this. :D

http://youtu.be/45V-UTv2akY

JamesCurtis
04-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Just got added to the list. Received the reply email from Jascha in about a minute [is this a record?]. Anyways, the plugin will go great with the new machine I'm putting together later this Summer. Had tried earlier demo's and was convinced even back then.

LW_Will
04-11-2013, 02:28 PM
What is the price now? May want to get in on this...

nickdigital
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
The current price is €209.20 (plus VAT where applicable), the group purchase model has diminishing returns and the subsequent price will not be far off this.

Latest info.

ShadowMystic
04-19-2013, 08:33 PM
10 more days. Gosh I'm ready now! Gimme Gimme Gimme!

Thomas Helzle
04-20-2013, 03:55 AM
hehehe - yeah, I finally made up my mind to also participate - it is such a brilliant plugin and I just love the results.

Cheers!

Tom

Dennik
04-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Such a good timing for me too. I'm already doing a project with the demo, so It will pay itself at render time.

kfinla
04-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Is the Mac version gonna get an update? its still the built from November 2012.

eagleeyed
04-23-2013, 04:55 AM
Just sent my email in as-well, and got a reply in a minute.
Looking forward to this.

Just means no take away for a couple of months (probably a good thing).

UnCommonGrafx
04-23-2013, 05:03 AM
Hehe,
Kinda didn't pay attention that this was gpu-powered.

Octane now looks like an enlightnened purchase as it pushed me to get a Titan.

Now, looking more forward to this.

Thomas Helzle
04-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Today I finally bought a stronger/better power supply for my new machine (before it sometimes rebooted when starting Octane or Turbulence FD with GPU).

Flamethrower scene, caching to a SSD-Drive:

-> 6 core i7 3930K overclocked to 4.1 Ghz: 7:54 Minutes
-> Gainward GTX660 TI Phantom: 1:30 Minutes

Wow, brilliant results even with this budget card. More than 5 times faster...
If I should ever have more demanding jobs, I can easily plug-in in a titan or two ;-)

Now I can finally start to play with those tools...

Anybody with a titan willing to do the same test?

Cheers,

Tom

geo_n
04-23-2013, 10:26 AM
for small fire effects the gpu is useful my 640gt budget card beat my i7 3770, but for medium size its not because of memory limit even with 4 gig I'm sure its not enough.

erikals
04-28-2013, 01:20 PM
2 days left... http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/vanalla123/_fire_punch__by_ChaosEmeraldHunter.gif

ShadowMystic
04-28-2013, 01:54 PM
2 days left... http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/vanalla123/_fire_punch__by_ChaosEmeraldHunter.gif

Already have plenty of Projects planned! Muahahahahaha-*cough, cough, cough*

wyattharris
04-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Already have plenty of Projects planned! Muahahahahaha-*cough, cough, cough*
Indeed!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5r44oypCc1r9uyl8o1_500.gif

bazsa73
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Shizzling dang, I need this plugin!

ShadowMystic
04-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Indeed!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5r44oypCc1r9uyl8o1_500.gif

Is that Avatar?

wyattharris
04-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Is that Avatar?Why yes it is.
The more I think of TurbulenceFD, the more I think of Firebending.

TalleyJC
04-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Today's the Day right? ......So what's the next step?

ShadowMystic
04-30-2013, 11:35 AM
He
Why yes it is.
The more I think of TurbulenceFD, the more I think of Firebending.

Hell. Yes. One project I wanted to do!

OlaHaldor
04-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Could we make a "standard candle" test? Would love to see how fast different GPUs are.

ShadowMystic
04-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Waiting for that mail from Jascha!

corny
04-30-2013, 11:28 PM
I guess he must be busy sending out mail....

mav3rick
05-01-2013, 02:55 AM
it's day off in EU today... dont know rest off world but today is national working day and noone is working .... some countries does not work tomorrow too...

dee
05-01-2013, 03:22 AM
Seems Jascha is working hard, just got my discount code. :)

Dennik
05-01-2013, 05:35 AM
Well, I'm officially a pyromaniac! (unofficially I was since the age of 10)

phillydee
05-01-2013, 06:04 AM
Done--got mine!

Thomas Helzle
05-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Could we make a "standard candle" test? Would love to see how fast different GPUs are.

What's wrong with the flamethrower scene that comes with Turbulence FD for testing?

Cheers,

Tom

erikals
05-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Maybe someone should start a "Turbulence Presets" thread, where ideas and test-scenes could be shared...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/vanalla123/_fire_punch__by_ChaosEmeraldHunter.gif

TalleyJC
05-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Have Mine =0)

stevecullum
05-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Have Mine =0)

Me too :)

Maybe someone should start a "Turbulence Presets" thread, where ideas and test-scenes could be shared...

Sounds like a good idea - there is very little 'out there' regarding the Lightwave version...

MannaTheBerserk
05-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Mine's here as well!

Time to deal with the post installation errors now :)

wyattharris
05-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Got it installed and licensed but having problems getting any output. I suspect it has to do with this error I'm getting when I hit Start,
"Can't open scene file" twice and then the simulation starts. Simulating via the CPU if that makes a difference.

MannaTheBerserk
05-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Alright, this is what I come up with after the installation of the plugin ( I followed the instructions that come with it ):

The thing is that once I click "Ok" on both windows ( I have put them in order of appearance, so the top one shows up first ) Lightwave runs and everything "seems" to be working pretty nice ( not Turbulence, I can't tell if it's working or not ).

I have the TurbulenceFD tab in the main menu area and my license is perfectly recognized when I click on the "License" button.

Anyone has any idea of why this is happening and where could I have gone wrong?

Thank you very much in advance. :)

Mauro

nickdigital
05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Put the dlls that come with the plugin into the bin folder. It's a result of using Autoscan.

If you disable autoscan and choose to scan your plugins manually then you don't need to move the dll files.

stevecullum
05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
First experience is a bit of an anti-climax!

Simulated a basic test, set the smoke to density channel and temperature to fire, switched on multi-scatter and illumination type to smooth, then it crashes. :(

Greenlaw
05-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Put the dlls that come with the plugin into the bin folder.
That works? Thanks, I'll try that. I've had AutoScan switched off for a couple of years now because of this error.

G.

MannaTheBerserk
05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Put the dlls that come with the plugin into the bin folder. It's a result of using Autoscan.

If you disable autoscan and choose to scan your plugins manually then you don't need to move the dll files.

Do I have to put the dll files by taking them out of the "lib" folder, which is the one that is in the turbulence folder, and leaving them free inside the "bin" folder?

nickdigital
05-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Do I have to put the dll files by taking them out of the "lib" folder, which is the one that is in the turbulence folder, and leaving them free inside the "bin" folder?

Are you asking if you should move vs copy the files? That I'm not sure. My guess is moving the files would be fine.

MannaTheBerserk
05-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Are you asking if you should move vs copy the files? That I'm not sure. My guess is moving the files would be fine.

I am sorry, not being English doesn't help me to express myself as I wish. :D
What I meant to ask is if I have to copy that bunch of dll and paste directly into the "bin" folder.

prometheus
05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
hope you guys fix the installation problems, part of that is what kept me from evaluating this otherwise extremly cool plugin, and some part was due to my working situation as of today.
Im sure I will jump on to it later on ..but for the moment I don΄t need it for any project currently, and I would like to try it out more before doing that and have to go with the demo΄s until then.
So I did not jump on the group purchase.

What I had to do with the installation issues.
turn of autoscan of plugins in layout.
Install turbulence (copy paste the whole folder) in your root drive program folder, not inside lighwave folder.
go to edit plugin and scan turbulence folder manually.
go to menu/item and load the turbulence cfg file.

Michael

nickdigital
05-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I am sorry, not being English doesn't help me to express myself as I wish. :D
What I meant to ask is if I have to copy that bunch of dll and paste directly into the "bin" folder.

That's how it's been explained to me. Put all those .dll files into the bin folder, where the Layout/Modeler.exe files are located. I've never tested if it was better to copy or move the files as I don't use Autoscan. So I just deal with the annoying message in the beginning, disable Autoscan, close Layout/Modeler, relaunch, scan manually then I'm done.

wyattharris
05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
First experience is a bit of an anti-climax!

Simulated a basic test, set the smoke to density channel and temperature to fire, switched on multi-scatter and illumination type to smooth, then it crashes. :(
Was that after loading a test scene? I had the same thing happen if I loaded one of the Examples without clearing out the previous example first.

Greenlaw
05-01-2013, 03:03 PM
I must be doing something wrong because I couldn't get that to work--that is, simply moving the .dlls to the bin folder. If I move the Lib contents from the plug-in folder to the bin, my TFD can't load the plugins at all, and if I copy the .dlls to the bin and enable AutoScan, I get the error again--but at least the plug-ins will load.

For me, anyway, the options appear to be 1.) move the entire TFD folder out of the main plug-ins folder and load it from another location or 2.) leave everything in the plug-ins folder (where it should be) and disable AutoScan. One other option that should work is the edit your configs so that LightWave doesn't assume all .dlls contain LightWave plug-ins--but that might lead to issues when a .dll actually contains a LightWave plug-in. (The x64 version of Sherpa, for example.)

Think I'll go back to switching off AutoScan--much easier to manage my plug-ins this way.

G.

nickdigital
05-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Hmm...I'll admit that I've never tried the suggested method. It's what I read on another forum though after re-reading the post, I think I mis-interpreted the instructions.

Your option 1 seems to be the work around, put the folder in a location that Autoscan won't see during Autoscan.

So my bad for disseminating bad information.

Greenlaw
05-01-2013, 03:15 PM
No worries. I'm not sure I wanted that to work anyway because it would mean breaking up the files required by Turbulence FD. Complicating my ever-changing LightWave configuration further is the last thing I need. :)

G.

Greenlaw
05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I might need to revisit this later. I had copied all the .dlls from the directory but I just now noticed that two of the files are called TurbulenceFX_xxx.dll. I'm thinking that these two .dlls contain the actual TFD program--they probably won't trigger error with AutoScan and can/should stay in the plug-ins folder with the rest of the original TFD files; all the other .dlls can be moved to the bin folder. The test would only be to satisfy my curiosity though because, as mentioned above, I really don't want to break up the files.

G.

wyattharris
05-01-2013, 03:26 PM
I copied the Turbulence folder from the zip to the root of Lightwave 11.5 and then followed the instructions. It seemed to work but not 100% yet. I didn't receive any install errors but it won't render, I think it's due to this crappy laptop though. I'll test when I get home.

Greenlaw
05-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Yeah, that was it all right.

But unless you absolutely need AutoScan enabled, I still recommend just switching it off and just leaving the TFD folder alone in the plug-ins directory. It's much simpler this way, especially when it comes time to update TFD or LightWave. BTW, this doesn't affect LWSN,--I'm guessing this works because LWSN doesn't perform a plug-ins autoscan.

G.

Note: In case you decide to move the .dll files, I revised the info in the above post. In brief, keep the two Turbulence_xxxx.dlls inside the Turbulence Lib folder and move all the other .dlls to the bin.

stevecullum
05-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Was that after loading a test scene? I had the same thing happen if I loaded one of the Examples without clearing out the previous example first.

No, this was a simple test I did from a fresh layout. Think its the combination of illumination smooth and multi-scatter, VPR doesn't like it for me.

XswampyX
05-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Works fine here, I just removed the folder that the demo was in, removed the Tab in layout, then copied the whole folder to my plug-in directory, manually installed it and then added the tab back in.

http://youtu.be/W31YhztprlU

MannaTheBerserk
05-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Works fine here, I just removed the folder that the demo was in, removed the Tab in layout, then copied the whole folder to my plug-in directory, manually installed it and then added the tab back in.

http://youtu.be/W31YhztprlU

Sorry for the silly question, but which of the two "plug-in" directory should I put the TurbulenceFD folder in?

I have one here "bin/plugins" and one here "support/plugins"

It's quite confusing :\

And what do you mean by "manually installed", do you mean by using "add plugin" command?

Thank you

Mauro

GregMalick
05-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Simple explosion simulation took 9:23 on i7 2600 4C/8T
no option to use GPU in dropdown. Looks like I'll need a new vidCard.

BTW, beautiful render right out of the box.

Flame thrower simulation took 13:30

http://youtu.be/JBNCDdxctyI

nickdigital
05-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Sorry for the silly question, but which of the two "plug-in" directory should I put the TurbulenceFD folder in?

And what do you mean by "manually installed", do you mean by using "add plugin" command?

Thank you

Mauro

That'll depend on how you want to organize stuff. I keep my 3rd party stuff in a separate folder. I actually further segregate with 3rd_party_lscripts, 3rd_party_modeler and 3rd_party_layout folders.

How you want to organize your plugins is up to you. Much of people's organization comes from how their pipeline is setup. I actually use symbolic link folders so it's easy to keep my plugins updated across different lw versions. I have those symbolic links folders stored in the support/plugins folder as that's where the other .p and .ls/.lsc files are.

I believe what he means by "manually installed" is that he's not relying on autoscan, either cuz he has it off or because the plugins are in a location that autoscan doesn't have access to. So you would manually add it via the "add plugins" button.

Greenlaw
05-01-2013, 05:53 PM

I don't know why they decided to do that but, yes, it can be confusing. Anyway, it's the one in the 'Support' folder called 'plugins'--this is where third party plug-ins are normally kept (also, ignore the folder called 3rdparty_support.) On my system, I add a folder to 'plug-ins' called 'additional' to keep my own third-party plug-ins and lscripts separate from the native plug-ins. This makes it easier manage when updating/upgrading LightWave and individual plug-ins.

Of course, there are a dozen other ways to set this up. You may try experimenting to see what works best for you.

Another tip: When you have a config you like, save a backup copy. This way, if you accidentally hose your configs, you can revert by simply copying back the 'good' config.

G.

wesleycorgi
05-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Glad I checked the forum — my email went into the spam bucket.

MannaTheBerserk
05-01-2013, 06:00 PM
That'll depend on how you want to organize stuff. I keep my 3rd party stuff in a separate folder. I actually further segregate with 3rd_party_lscripts, 3rd_party_modeler and 3rd_party_layout folders.

How you want to organize your plugins is up to you. Much of people's organization comes from how their pipeline is setup. I actually use symbolic link folders so it's easy to keep my plugins updated across different lw versions. I have those symbolic links folders stored in the support/plugins folder as that's where the other .p and .ls/.lsc files are.

I believe what he means by "manually installed" is that he's not relying on autoscan, either cuz he has it off or because the plugins are in a location that autoscan doesn't have access to. So you would manually add it via the "add plugins" button.

wonderful.
That's exactly what I started with : putting my 3rd party plugins into a folder that I called Lightwave_3rd_party_plugins.

Now I want to try the manual installation before attempting the one suggested by the instructions.

Thank you Nick!

ShadowMystic
05-01-2013, 08:33 PM
I just place TFD in Program Files, edit plugins, add the main folder, and finally add menu branch.

wyattharris
05-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Figured out my problem. I copied everything as is, so the Example scenes are also in my LW directory which I think is protected. Anyway, changed the cache path and works like a charm.

i7 2600 4C/8T, Flame thrower simulation took 13:30
GeForce GTX 680, 1:30.
Like you said, it looks beautiful.

Thomas Helzle
05-02-2013, 01:25 AM
Well, I think the failsafe way to install it is, to have the whole TFD Folder separate and install the plugin manually. No problems here that way.
Otherwise with each update you have to make sure you replace the right files in the bin directory and don't leave old ones no longer needed.
And you can leave autoscan on that way, which I find rather helpful.

But I see how that may break some network render setups.
I guess the best way to deal with it would be, if the other libraries were either compiled into one massive static plugin file (if that is possible) or if they could be somehow renamed in a way that lightwave doesn't find them as plugins. Not sure what LW does with for instance *.dff files. If it only scans for *.dll and *.p files it could work.

I install LWCAD in it's own, separate folder as well, but it's not relevant for rendering so it's a different matter.

GregMalick: did you see my test some pages ago? A GTX660 TI simulates the Flame Thrower in 1:30 minutes :-)

But as was stated already: the main problem is memory - even the relatively simple Big Blast example scene isn't able to simulate within my 2 Gig of Video Memory...
I guess even a titan can be filled up fast with TFD.

Cheers,

Tom

GregMalick
05-02-2013, 02:02 AM
GregMalick: did you see my test some pages ago? A GTX660 TI simulates the Flame Thrower in 1:30 minutes :-)
Cheers,

Tom

Aloha Tom,

I have a GTX550 Ti
I guess that can't be used since it doesn't show up in the dropdown.

EDIT!!!
I updated my drivers and GPU is now in the dropdown - simulation of flamethrower using GPU now takes 2:45

wyattharris
05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
EDIT!!!
I updated my drivers and GPU is now in the dropdown - simulation of flamethrower using GPU now takes 2:45
Awesome! Glad you got it working.
I duplicated what I did last night at work and now its also working. No GPU on this laptop though so quite a bit slower.
As in GTX 680 - 1min 30sec for Flamethrower vs. i5-2450M - 29min 30sec

Thomas Helzle
05-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Great you got it working Greg!

I guess this really cries for a titan. Anybody tried one yet with the Flamethrower (and writing to a SSD or disabling the cache so the time isn't just from writing the massive files to disk)?

Cheers,

Tom

XswampyX
05-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Great you got it working Greg!

I guess this really cries for a titan. Anybody tried one yet with the Flamethrower (and writing to a SSD or disabling the cache so the time isn't just from writing the massive files to disk)?

Cheers,

Tom

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Flame_Thrower_Titan_zpsa37af0a8.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/xXswampyXx/media/Flame_Thrower_Titan_zpsa37af0a8.jpg.html)

It's running my screen as well.

Thomas Helzle
05-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Hm - I would have expected more speedup over my GTX660 TI with 1:30 Minutes - do you write to a HD or a SSD?

I guess for a "real" benchmark, one would have to disable the preview and the caching.

Cheers,

Tom

XswampyX
05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
The caching was disabled, but it only uses half the card (I think?). It could be that it's not using all the cuda cores or that half of them are being use for my display..... wait a mo.

Thomas Helzle
05-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Hm - too bad. At least it can see all the RAM which is the main factor for larger stuff.

Cheers,

Tom

GregMalick
05-02-2013, 11:27 AM
How do you keep the progress dialog box displayed? Mine disappears as soon as the simulation is done.

XswampyX
05-02-2013, 11:37 AM
How do you keep the progress dialog box displayed? Mine disappears as soon as the simulation is done.

Fingers of lightning!

It seems it my poor ol' CPU is causing the bottle neck. It's working flat out while the Titan is only working 50%.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Titan_CPU_Bound_zps839c11dc.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/xXswampyXx/media/Titan_CPU_Bound_zps839c11dc.jpg.html)

Thomas Helzle
05-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Hm ... that's weird.